What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Maximus

Coach
These are the key points which are taken from the article the SMH published, which I posted the link to up thread (post - https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/peter-vlandys-new-nrl-arlc-chairman.477949/post-15476604) -

The seat on the commission is such a dumb idea that I can only guess it's there as a bargaining chip.

The argument really should just be between 1/4 and 2 where they get more money if they agree to a transfer window, but the players are likely arguing that they get more money and a promise of no transfer window, and they will drop the request for the seat.

It's a completely unreasonable ask, but the NRL have played this so badly that they will struggle to win.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Should be a cap of $11mill. A significant upturn in funds for future player welfare managed by RLPA. Club grant of $14.5mill plus costs of running an NRLW team.

NRL paying players because they get a surplus is dead money out of the game and should be ringfenced for investment or cash asset build up for troubled times.

Oh and elevate grass roots funding from last years $63mill to over the $88mill it was before Vlandys/Covid slashed it.

King hit

Coach
Should be a cap of $11mill. A significant upturn in funds for future player welfare managed by RLPA. Club grant of $14.5mill plus costs of running an NRLW team.

NRL paying players because they get a surplus is dead money out of the game and should be ringfenced for investment or cash asset build up for troubled times.

Oh and elevate grass roots funding from last years $63mill to over the $88mill it was before Vlandys/Covid slashed it.
09381EE1-DBA1-4239-88A3-19EC5783CE8C.jpeg

Iamback

Coach
Hence why I said earlier about some of the player demands being ridiculous. They should be getting less if they are not willing to compromise on something like this absolute shambles of a player transfer system.

Yes you have been reasonable

Others though not so, In this case money isn't the issue although it does show why RL has had issues in the past moving the game forward

Maximus

Coach
Yes you have been reasonable

Others though not so, In this case money isn't the issue although it does show why RL has had issues in the past moving the game forward

Lol it literally says they want 2% more than they are being offered (summary says 1% but the content says 2%), and then more if they exceed forecasts. Money appears to actually be the biggest issue no matter how desperate you are to defend V'landys

Storm80

Juniors
First of all, good on them.

Secondly, a large swathe of QLD Cup clubs are against it too because it will affect their competition a whole lot more.

Thirdly, why do you think a national reserve grade is a good idea anyway? Not many sports do it (European soccer) because it is not a particularly good idea. I know the fumblers don’t for example. It’s also an anti growth, anti expansion idea and will give even more power to clubs which is not what you or I want
First, yes they are entitled to vote in their own interests. But their own interests go against the growth and overall benefit of the game. It’s a ball and chain around the code that was meant to be fixed in the early 90s (Bradley report) and again after 95 (Kerrigan report). It should have been fixed during the merger of ARL and SL.

If rugby league had a professional and modern governance framework, second tier clubs (be they from NSW or QLD) would never have any say in what NRL want to achieve. It completely undermines the growth of the game on all levels.

Secondly, see the above point. Same thing for QLD clubs.

Thirdly, I’m neither here nor there on a national reserve grade competition. There’s pros and cons to the proposal I imagine. Just as their are pros and cons (more cons though) to retaining the current QLD and NSW voting set up.

My point was aimed specifically at the governance framework of RL. I can’t even begin to fathom how NSWRL and QRL and clubs like Newtown have voting rights that undermine NRLs decision making ability.

AFL doesn’t allow any state based organisations or clubs voting rights. It’s the commission and the 18 clubs and that’s it. For very good reason.

Finally, my point goes back to PVL - what’s his vision for the game? I don’t see a long term vision. It’s all short term ideas and reactionary thinking.

Redcliffe was clearly the wrong spot to put brisbane 2. Broncos are already based in north at red hill. News Ltd don’t want a team south of the river so PVL agreed to Redcliffe. The club was set up in a hurry and without any concessions. Compared to how the Titans were set up, it’s a shambles. Very reminiscent of the 4 team expansion in 1995 with perth, Auckland, NQ and crushers. No actually fwd planning. Just decide on a whim to make it happen.

Now it’s all about establishing a presence in USA?? How about a presence in Adelaide and Perth first?

He’s not publicly addressed this ball and chain that is RL poor governance framework.

He clearly sees NSWRL as the pain in the ass that it is - hence why they tried to stack the board with his mates and went to court. Yet his Machiavellian efforts to undermine the current governance framework has backfired massively.

If he was gonna improve the governance and undermine NSWRL and QRL - the perfect time to rationalise the comp was during COVID when he could have used poor finances to pressure and leverage smartly for changes.

Now he’s hid the finances the clubs, the state leagues and players have all caught onto what he’s about. Yet again NRL misses its golden opportunity to reform and set themselves up to seriously take on AFL.

Steel Saints

Juniors
depends what the game would of got as it is,
Without knowing the deal - Hopefully we get that with this. Then we can get an idea where it stands in comparison to other NRL deals.

The ability to compare to AFL is years away but the game was able finally expand, Bye's are terrible so surely team 18 isn't far

Expanded NRLW with same pay for women as men in Origin.

Raise in club grants and cap.

Not sure that happens with no long term deal

I don't think we should be comparing the NRL deal to the AFL. Instead the comparison should be between the 2018-2022 and 2023-2027 deals. Correct me if im wrong, but the 2018-2022 deal was $1.8 billion (before the Covid discounts) and the 2023-2027 is worth $2 billion or just over $2 billion.

So when you look at the last two deals, there's not much in it in terms of revenue growth, and that means not much growth in terms of salary cap or grant. Unless the NRL uses the revenue from GF hosting, magic round and end of year profits to go towards increasing the cap and grant. But you run the risk of not having any savings.

Hypothetically if the 2023-2027 deal was $2.5 billion, then chances are the CBA would've been sorted out by now.

Colk

First Grade
First, yes they are entitled to vote in their own interests. But their own interests go against the growth and overall benefit of the game. It’s a ball and chain around the code that was meant to be fixed in the early 90s (Bradley report) and again after 95 (Kerrigan report). It should have been fixed during the merger of ARL and SL.

If rugby league had a professional and modern governance framework, second tier clubs (be they from NSW or QLD) would never have any say in what NRL want to achieve. It completely undermines the growth of the game on all levels.

Secondly, see the above point. Same thing for QLD clubs.

Thirdly, I’m neither here nor there on a national reserve grade competition. There’s pros and cons to the proposal I imagine. Just as their are pros and cons (more cons though) to retaining the current QLD and NSW voting set up.

My point was aimed specifically at the governance framework of RL. I can’t even begin to fathom how NSWRL and QRL and clubs like Newtown have voting rights that undermine NRLs decision making ability.

AFL doesn’t allow any state based organisations or clubs voting rights. It’s the commission and the 18 clubs and that’s it. For very good reason.

Finally, my point goes back to PVL - what’s his vision for the game? I don’t see a long term vision. It’s all short term ideas and reactionary thinking.

Redcliffe was clearly the wrong spot to put brisbane 2. Broncos are already based in north at red hill. News Ltd don’t want a team south of the river so PVL agreed to Redcliffe. The club was set up in a hurry and without any concessions. Compared to how the Titans were set up, it’s a shambles. Very reminiscent of the 4 team expansion in 1995 with perth, Auckland, NQ and crushers. No actually fwd planning. Just decide on a whim to make it happen.

Now it’s all about establishing a presence in USA?? How about a presence in Adelaide and Perth first?

He’s not publicly addressed this ball and chain that is RL poor governance framework.

He clearly sees NSWRL as the pain in the ass that it is - hence why they tried to stack the board with his mates and went to court. Yet his Machiavellian efforts to undermine the current governance framework has backfired massively.

If he was gonna improve the governance and undermine NSWRL and QRL - the perfect time to rationalise the comp was during COVID when he could have used poor finances to pressure and leverage smartly for changes.

Now he’s hid the finances the clubs, the state leagues and players have all caught onto what he’s about. Yet again NRL misses its golden opportunity to reform and set themselves up to seriously take on AFL.

Yeah the point I was making though is that you are arguing against clubs having too much power (which a lot of people would agree with you) yet you think a system which will inevitably give more power to clubs has more pro’s than con’s. It’s contradictory.

Wb1234

Referee
I don't think we should be comparing the NRL deal to the AFL. Instead the comparison should be between the 2018-2022 and 2023-2027 deals. Correct me if im wrong, but the 2018-2022 deal was $1.8 billion (before the Covid discounts) and the 2023-2027 is worth $2 billion or just over $2 billion.

So when you look at the last two deals, there's not much in it in terms of revenue growth, and that means not much growth in terms of salary cap or grant. Unless the NRL uses the revenue from GF hosting, magic round and end of year profits to go towards increasing the cap and grant. But you run the risk of not having any savings.

Hypothetically if the 2023-2027 deal was $2.5 billion, then chances are the CBA would've been sorted out by now.
And yet despite an apparently poor tv deal the arlc has done the following

1. Providing players with a record salary cap
2. Seen a turn around in nrl club finances of 100 million
3. Providing each deadbeat nrl club with funding of 5 million over the cap
4. Given players back pay due to money lost during covid (something afl can’t afford to do
5. Finally invested in hard assets. One which yielded ten percent
6. Made consistent profits whilst the afl has lost money

how have they done it ?

Iamback

Coach

Much better comparison

Just over $400m is what they offically say. Some reports are $425m including contra all will come out in time so there is a slight increase. Assuming nothing else is added.

Magic Round and GF would add money.
The proposal for NRLW is worth $120m but I don't see how it makes even 25% of that on its own, That for me is where the untapped potential is
SOO payments now is going to be same for Womens and Mens hopefully that means it will be taken seriously and might generate some coin too. Maybe a magic round works for that too

Not sure if it is possible to run as a summer comp or even a stand alone. If it can though it gets more money in for TV money, Different sponsors etc, If that can get to not running at loss. That is huge for the Financial health of the sport

As for the CBA, Depending on the Journo and their opinion of the NRL and the spin on the story.

Written by a player, It is a long article but shows more than just money

A few points that stood out to me

The NRL needs to do what it does well. But when it comes to past players, the RLPA is best positioned to service their needs. It’s the RLPA’s bread and butter.

The RLPA is led by players, for players and our Board is incredibly experienced and highly-skilled.

Our Association must have the autonomy to allocate the players’ share of revenue to areas we decide are most important.

We must continue to grow as the representatives of the players and claim greater responsibility in the industry.

Players want to establish a Past Player Program and Medical Support Fund for male and female players. We want to expand the Injury Hardship Fund to start taking better care of those who dug the well for current players.

The RLPA is also proposing greater control of the players’ Wellbeing and Education program. It’s wrong that the players are the program’s biggest investor, yet it’s controlled by the NRL and Commission with little or no financial contribution.

That too me, Doesn't seem as though it is a give me $x and it goes away.

FTR this was all started under Greenberg and is continuing on. Tony McGrath to me was a great appointment and really set the way financially

Wb1234

Referee
I think V`landy`s vision is as obvious as dog`s balls. Gambling revenue and lot`s of it coming out of the U.S. but anywhere will do, ipso facto, enough money for all the projects and expansion teams in the world.
His vision is making rugby league the number one sport again

he doesn’t see any reason why afl should be number one and is working on expanding the game so this result is achieved

the way things are going afl will largely become irrelevant as a rival just like union