What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
Panthers fans in this thread think he is the messiah and think they must defend him at all costs. It's embarrassing
I'll give him this he has incredible deflection abilities. How anyone can lose the game hundreds of millions $'s and keep their position deserves some acknowledgement.
It goes to show how influential the tv partners are. Greenberg and Smith both lost their jobs but this guy keeps his. I wonder what the difference was?
oh yes, they were trying to screw the tv companies, where as he screwed the game on behalf of the tv companies!

fourplay

Juniors

Vlandy's is such a slimy rat, he purposely throws the players under the bus with a strawman to make them look greedy, knowing full well that Harry Grant was talking about players on development contracts. His true colours are showing. The man has zero integrity.

Harry Grant: "I think a development contract is $60,000. Some blokes are better off getting on the tools and doing whatever. At the end of the day you’re chasing a dream. I think a lot of people don’t realise what we put ourselves through.

I think V`landy`s vision is as obvious as dog`s balls. Gambling revenue and lot`s of it coming out of the U.S. but anywhere will do, ipso facto, enough money for all the projects and expansion teams in the world.
People laugh when I suggest expanding the game into south-east Asia, yet they approve of V'landys' plan to start the season in USA.

If it's gambling revenue V'landys is after then there's no better market than south-east Asia and China. Australia is based in a similar time zone to these markets and there's no other top-tier professional sporting league for a collision sport there to compete with for punters and fans. Games could be taken to Singapore and broadcast live into Australia at their usual time, which helps us live up to the broadcast rights commitments we're bound by.

Good luck doing that with a game in America!

The travel time to Singapore isn't anywhere as taxing as flying to America. Whoever competed in a match on American soil would be f**ked for the next round.

America has the NFL and is known as one of the most culturally insular countries in the world. Good luck getting anyone over there to take us seriously.

lol not even close to being accurate.
Consider this. Ch9 originally agreed to pay NRL $185mill a year
after Smith was sacked and the deal torn up they ended up paying NRL $125million a year. Thats $60million less than Smith negotiated. Now if you believe that Fox more than made up that $60million you are kidding yourself and I have a Nigerian prince that would like to talk to you. All Smith had to do was offer full simucast and digital streaming (Fox about to launch Kayo dont forget) and Fox would have stumped up more than $180mill making it a net gain for NRL.
Such is NRL and its incompetent negotiation skills, only compounded by this latest Vlandys f**k up. I mean he himself admitted he undersold the rights to help out the tv companies.
Seriously how on earth can you defend that?
He couldn't sell simulcast rights without Ch9's approval. Ch9 ended up selling simulcast rights to Foxtel and bypassed us in the process. The only party who benefited from it at the time was Ch9, although in the long-term it cost them viewers as people with Foxtel no longer had to watch the games on FTA. Ch9 then chucked a tantrum about low ratings in 2020, even though they were responsible for it by giving up exclusivity for money.

Ideally the commission should have an ex NSW pollie from the coalition side, just to balance it out with an ex ALP MP from Qld. However, Beattie and Jones do know more about the ins and outs of state governments compared to PVL.

PVL shouldn't be the only one dealing with the Premier, which looks to be the case.

In Qld, yes. However the state of Queensland is far different than NSW. Qld is a unicameral state parliament, NSW is bicameral parliament. Qld has far fewer local councils, with (IIRC) only 2 covering Brisbane whilst Sydney alone has 20 odd. Government Department structures are vastly different also, as are various regulatory requirements in each state. I work in the NSW public service, have done so for 30+ years, and I know there are differences. The job is more about "lobbying" than anything else, and if you look at V'Landy record as CEO of NSW Racing he has a good idea of how to do it.

I'm not saying he's perfect. No one is, and everyone makes mistakes, but you need to look beyond just what their prior roles are. I've met quite a few state MPs in NSW over the years whom on paper with their qualifications you'd think they be top notch but have been as stupid as a lamp post. Others have had little formal education but have been some of the smartest and cluiest operators (in a good way) you would ever meet. Heck there was one former NSW Premier who's own staff used to refer to him as "dumbo" and that was to his face!

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
I don't think we should be comparing the NRL deal to the AFL. Instead the comparison should be between the 2018-2022 and 2023-2027 deals. Correct me if im wrong, but the 2018-2022 deal was $1.8 billion (before the Covid discounts) and the 2023-2027 is worth $2 billion or just over $2 billion.

So when you look at the last two deals, there's not much in it in terms of revenue growth, and that means not much growth in terms of salary cap or grant. Unless the NRL uses the revenue from GF hosting, magic round and end of year profits to go towards increasing the cap and grant. But you run the risk of not having any savings.

Hypothetically if the 2023-2027 deal was $2.5 billion, then chances are the CBA would've been sorted out by now.
Wonder how the AFL deals did if you do the sa e comparison

I beluve we have closed the % gap across covid

siv

First Grade

Wb1234

Referee
It’s pretty funny seeing the Peter vlandys haters questioning everything he does and wanting evidence yet when it comes to gill the dill they will take any claims he makes as gospel … despite time and again having evidence that afl lies about many things

at least be consistent. That would be the fair way to look at it

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s pretty funny seeing the Peter vlandys haters questioning everything he does and wanting evidence yet when it comes to gill the dill they will take any claims he makes as gospel … despite time and again having evidence that afl lies about many things

at least be consistent. That would be the fair way to look at it
No one is questioning if what he says is true. The issue we have is the fact it is very likely to be true! I mean it’s hard to imagine someone is going to come out and make the sht up he says that makes him look so bad!

I mean who justifies a major f**k up with this?

‘Without the NRL, there’d be no Foxtel’: V’landys defends broadcast deal​