What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
Well the chairman is the head of the commission.

The comparison to the AFL is justified for the broadcasting deal. But not for much else.

Yes but the game was making a profit as far back as 2018, Does the ARLC make any less than $600m revenue with another chairman?

No chance I say

Yes but the game was making a profit as far back as 2018, Does the ARLC make any less than $600m revenue with another chairman?

No chance I say
The ARLC is a not for profit organisation. Profit isn't a wise metric. Revenue and assets are more appropriate.

I would say yes the chairman hugely influences the revenue of the game. The commission set the strategy for the game including KPIs. The CEO merely implements it. The chairman is overseeing the entire strategic piece. Compare and contrast John Grant to PVL - digital strategy completely changed, stadium policy completely changed, expansion completely changed, club grants TBC, womens game completely changed, gambling arrangements changed, broadcasting covid concessions etc.

They all impact revenue the game brings in.

Iamback

Coach
The ARLC is a not for profit organisation. Profit isn't a wise metric. Revenue and assets are more appropriate.

I would say yes the chairman hugely influences the revenue of the game. The commission set the strategy for the game including KPIs. The CEO merely implements it. The chairman is overseeing the entire strategic piece. Compare and contrast John Grant to PVL - digital strategy completely changed, stadium policy completely changed, expansion completely changed, club grants TBC, womens game completely changed, gambling arrangements changed, broadcasting covid concessions etc.

They all impact revenue the game brings in.

The plan is to get $100m in assets, To do that as a not for profit you need to build profit up.

The ex chairman in Beattie is still around and the Commission has been pretty stable as far as changeover of staff.

Correct but the revenue is growing, Now Warriors are back home we should see crowds continue to increase too.

As long as the growth continues why would or should there be change?

Looks like nrl is prepared to give clubs 50% of the games revenue! That’s a massive jump from the the 2017- deal of 40% of revenue.

I suspect like the annual report, the NRL have not broken up broadcast revenue and non broadcast revenue.

If he did, there would be a leak. And clubs would be fired up at the discrepancy between NRL and AFL broadcast revenue.

The plan is to get $100m in assets, To do that as a not for profit you need to build profit up.

The ex chairman in Beattie is still around and the Commission has been pretty stable as far as changeover of staff.

Correct but the revenue is growing, Now Warriors are back home we should see crowds continue to increase too.

As long as the growth continues why would or should there be change?
Agree. I think the point of contention among many is the manner in which you grow and the rate of growth. Stakeholders may feel that PVLs decisions and strategy has hampered NRLs growth opportunities, or heavily impeded growth for the good of the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I suspect like the annual report, the NRL have not broken up broadcast revenue and non broadcast revenue.

If he did, there would be a leak. And clubs would be fired up at the discrepancy between NRL and AFL broadcast revenue.
I dont think the clubs are that stupid they can’t tell the difference between $400 and $643 million!

Vlandys is having to pay overs to keep the clubs happy and keep his 6 figure paying chair position in tact. Hence the increase from 40% of revenue to 50% of revenue. a $60million a year cost to the sport that has to come out of somewhere.

In Qld, yes. However the state of Queensland is far different than NSW. Qld is a unicameral state parliament, NSW is bicameral parliament. Qld has far fewer local councils, with (IIRC) only 2 covering Brisbane whilst Sydney alone has 20 odd. Government Department structures are vastly different also, as are various regulatory requirements in each state. I work in the NSW public service, have done so for 30+ years, and I know there are differences. The job is more about "lobbying" than anything else, and if you look at V'Landy record aas CEO of NSW Racing he hasd a good idea of how to do it.

I'm not saying he's perfect. No one is, and veryone makles mistakes, but you need to look beyonmd just what their porior roles are. I've met quite a few state MPs in NSW over the years whom on paper with their qualifications you'd think they be top notch but have been as stupid as a lamp post. Others have had little formal education but have been some of the smartest and cluiest operators (in a good way) you would ever meet. Heck there was one former NSW Premier who's own staff used to refer to him as "dumbo" and that was to his face!
Brisbane's metropolitan area encompasses Brisbane (1.2m), Ipswich (233k), Logan (350k), Moreton Bay (484k) and Redland (161k).

Wb1234

Immortal
Agree. I think the point of contention among many is the manner in which you grow and the rate of growth. Stakeholders may feel that PVLs decisions and strategy has hampered NRLs growth opportunities, or heavily impeded growth for the good of the game.
Yeh adding the dolphins and Perth (soon) sure has/will hampered the nrls growth

vlandys has ushered in a golden era for rugby league

Iamback

Coach

How much of that is due to not liking PVL though?

We have Team 17 coming in whilist starting the 1st year of a new TV deal, Team 18 should follow sometime in that 5 year period. That will allow to get rid of the bye and bring in more money due to sponsorship, Membership, Merchandise a 9th game to sell to broadcasters.

The NRLW has added 4 new teams, Becoming Fulltime including Parity with SOO player payments.

Salary Cap is due to go up $1m to this year. $200k further across the 5 years of this deal

Assuming the clubs get their $5m, The clubs will have a rise of $1.5m from 2022 levels.

What area doesn't have growth looking at those figures?

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
It’s pretty funny seeing the Peter vlandys haters questioning everything he does and wanting evidence yet when it comes to gill the dill they will take any claims he makes as gospel … despite time and again having evidence that afl lies about many things

If the FTA/Fox split is true that has been rumoured we can add that to the list of AFL lies. Though we are a few years from that stage

Wb1234

Immortal
How much of that is due to not liking PVL though?

We have Team 17 coming in whilist starting the 1st year of a new TV deal, Team 18 should follow sometime in that 5 year period. That will allow to get rid of the bye and bring in more money due to sponsorship, Membership, Merchandise a 9th game to sell to broadcasters.

The NRLW has added 4 new teams, Becoming Fulltime including Parity with SOO player payments.

Salary Cap is due to go up $1m to this year. $200k further across the 5 years of this deal

Assuming the clubs get their $5m, The clubs will have a rise of $1.5m from 2022 levels.

What area doesn't have growth looking at those figures?
He’s a tumbler

he’s accusing one of the most pro growth nrl bosses of holding back growth

it’s hilarious

Iamback

Coach
He’s a tumbler

it’s hilarious

I get people can not like PVL as a person, Or think possibly the TV deal was bad but you can't say with a straight face that there is no growth. Pretty much every metric says so, Aside from Crowds but Warriors being home should fix that. To me that is what matters

Wb1234

Immortal
I get people can not like PVL as a person, Or think possibly the TV deal was bad but you can't say with a straight face that there is no growth. Pretty much every metric says so, Aside from Crowds but Warriors being home should fix that. To me that is what matters
If people aren’t happy with how the game is going right now they should probably watch another sport

I don’t know how much better it can get

this reminds me like 95

only then the game already had momentum for a decade

we’ve wasted so much time with awful leaders who were too afraid to try things or too weak to stand up to the clubs

Iamback

Coach
If people aren’t happy with how the game is going right now they should probably watch another sport

this reminds me like 95

we’ve wasted so much time with awful leaders who were too afraid to try things or too weak to stand up to the clubs

People have unrealistic expectations or compare to US sports or other crazy thing.

RL should be on 19 teams now but the Reality is SL and the years after set the game back

mongoose

Coach

this reminds me like 95

are you trying to get a job at the Daily Telegraph?

He’s a tumbler

it’s hilarious
It is growing in some areas - but the growth should be higher.

If you had a super fund managed by PVL generating you a 4% return, while another super fund generated 15% - what you're saying is the PVL fund is growing at 4% - its growth. It is the best fund etc.

PVL's achievements include i) managing the game during covid, ii) expanding the game to include The Dolphins, iii) generating a profit and buying a pub in Brisbane.

PVL's actions that have, in my opinion, adversely impacts the LONG TERM health of the game include i) 6 again rule changes, ii) broadcast extension with Fox and Channel 9 (this one is huge as it locks us into a undervalued contract until 2028), iii) inability to work with NSW Govt on stadia policy, iv) wasting resources on challenging the governance arrangements of NSWRL, v) shutting down of the NRL digital business unit.

On balance, the cons outweigh the pros. I concede he has done much more than other leaders, but his approach is rocks or diamonds.

Latest posts