What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

In the bold writing, that is a good point. In the commission, you have two ex politicians in Peter Beattie and Kate Jones. When it comes to lobbying government funding for stadiums, Beattie and Jones should be at the forefront, not PVL. His role should be to stand behind Beattie and Jones
and nod his head, just like a PM does with one of his MP's.

That is not necessarily a wise idea. Yes Beattie and Jones are both ex-MPs, but both are ex-Qld State MPs and both were in the ALP. Hence it does not mean they have the relationships with NSW MPs nor bureaucrats to be effective, let alone political differences can be a factor in how someone from a different political party reacts to you.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pistol Petes recent track record

Failed in negotiations with NSWRL - ended up in court (TWICE losing)
Failed in negotiations with NSW Govt - lost funding for stadiums and destroyed relationship
Failed in TV negotiations - lost hundreds of millions of $'s

Maybe he will finally get a successful negotiation concluded with the players and clubs? 4th times a treat!

MugaB

Coach
I think you'll find at the time of announcing it and before AFl deal I was highly critical of the $ increase and the lack of significant uplift from a 17th club. AFL deal just put it into a whole different league of incompetence.

yes its an increase, its also the smallest increase between deals in modern times.

again, that you seem to find it such a positive outcome for the game is very interesting.
I don't give a fk... i got me 9 clubs in my city, about to get another nostalgic hit if the bears get the next licence, and my team just went back2back, been a fkn great few years under PVLs leadership, dont care what it costs, or who is bitchin bout losing on what.. i got my NRL, im a happy man... all this contract and broadcast deals dont mean shit, theyll just buy another hotel, or up the grant, or blow it on some BS player fund... it wont go to the country, or grassroots, or upgrades to stadia, its all greed, ....so why the Fü€K do you care!
Its not gonna end up in your pocket... just seems so inconsequential.. especially to a perf pom

Storm80

Juniors
I think V`landy`s vision is as obvious as dog`s balls. Gambling revenue and lot`s of it coming out of the U.S. but anywhere will do, ipso facto, enough money for all the projects and expansion teams in the world.
Haha good luck with that. If that’s his whole vision, the NRL is completely f**ked. Media rights is how you bankroll your competition.

Being able to streamline your administration framework, reduce costs and centralise power is how you effectively and efficiently grow the game across Australia.

By stealth, NRL attempted to do this and take over NSWRL board.

That’s not long term strategic thinking or selling your vision though - cause you haven’t actually put your nuts on the table and said to the public “here is an independent report that says NRL needs to do x y and z to ensure the domination of the code” (at least the ARL did this with Bradley Report in 1992 - they hid the Kerrigan report in 95 though).

All it is from NRL is old school skullduggery which the state codes, clubs and players have seen a mile off.
Losing out on $500m 2025-27 in re-negotiations with nine and foxtel vs maybe getting $20m annually from betting in USA.

Pure genius strategy, expecting USA betting revenue to fund expansion and prop up the comp for the future.

Let’s sacrifice $500m in tv rights so we can focus purely on making $60m in wagering in USA over 2025-27 period. Hmm would you prefer $500m or $60m over a three year period? Or even better why not have both and get $560m?

This ain’t horse racing. TV rights and media deals actually matter. The code lives and dies by them.

While golden eagle and Everest turnover millions in wagering revenue for racing, the tv rights deals from these races are sweet f**k all.

The opposite applies to football codes, TV rights are everything - wagering is just a chocolate button on top of the cake (it ain’t even the icing).

Wagering is not a long term strategy to bankroll the code. Media rights are. And NRL botched the Media rights so spectacularly they’ll probably never catch up to AFL levels of funding ever again.

Storm80

Juniors
Oh pistol Pete. Here it is the Union and player bashing. Harry Grant was clearly talking about lower paid players on less than $120k.

The game is nothing without the players and the club. No one gives two shits who runs the game, so long as they run it well.

In racing, they have a injury fund for jockeys. Comes from prize money. Yet PVL is saying it’s a terrible idea to have an injury fund or retirement fund for players after they retire.

In racing, he celebrates the injury fund. In NRL he craps all over the idea.

The whole point is to look after blokes that need help after they retire. The NRL should set this up to avoid things like concussion lawsuits etc. They have the money, they just seem to view the players as cattle.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh pistol Pete. Here it is the Union and player bashing. Harry Grant was clearly talking about lower paid players on less than $120k.

s etc. They have the money, they just seem to view the players as cattle.
Thats the problem with him, he really isnt media smart.
Surely the response to Grant, if he even felt the need to make one and cause more conflict!, would have been to say that Grant has made a good point and we will discuss with the RLPA that increases in salary cap should be directed at the lowest paid players. that would have been the smart rebuttal!

Steel Saints

Juniors
That is not necessarily a wise idea. Yes Beattie and Jones are both ex-MPs, but both are ex-Qld State MPs and both were in the ALP. Hence it does not mean they have the relationships with NSW MPs nor bureaucrats to be effective, let alone political differences can be a factor in how someone from a different political party reacts to you.
Ideally the commission should have an ex NSW pollie from the coalition side, just to balance it out with an ex ALP MP from Qld. However, Beattie and Jones do know more about the ins and outs of state governments compared to PVL.

PVL shouldn't be the only one dealing with the Premier, which looks to be the case.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ideally the commission should have an ex NSW pollie from the coalition side, just to balance it out with an ex MP from Qld. However, Beattie and Jones do know more about the ins and outs of state governments compared to PVL.

PVL shouldn't be the only dealing with the Premier, which looks to be the case.
Had a CEO who was an ex State Minister, surprising how chummy they are all with each other, regardless of party.

Storm80

Juniors
Yeah the point I was making though is that you are arguing against clubs having too much power (which a lot of people would agree with you) yet you think a system which will inevitably give more power to clubs has more pro’s than con’s. It’s contradictory.
Ok, there may be wires crossed in my messaging.

Hopefully to clear it up:

1. I’m pro NRL rationalising the comp, reducing local Sydney clubs influence, relocating two clubs and eliminating state league interference.

2. I’m pro a competent NRL admin that is forward thinking, maximises tv rights and has a clear public plan for rationalising the comp, growing and consolidating juniors etc etc.

3. I’m pro an NRL (regardless of how flawed the current governance framework is) engaging its key stakeholders properly, in good faith and effectively. They don’t do this currently and PVL is happy to play all the drama out in the media - which actually damages the brand as it brings up the ghosts of Super League war.

4. Im pro players getting as much money for themselves as they possibly can. They deserve it. If your administration is withholding financial information and not selling a strategic vision - which they aren’t - it’s hard for players to sacrifice money for the good and long term growth of the game when they just seen NRL botch the media rights deal and AFL get $500m more

5. I’m anti an NRL engaging in this skullduggery shit, stealth takeover of NSWRL and QLD, keeping finances from the players and clubs and lying about Media rights deals. It only leads to unnecessary in fighting. Same shit been happening in league forever. If the NRL don’t have the nuts to say publicly “we need to finally reform the codes governance” then don’t be cowardly and attempt old school bullshit and backroom shenanigans. That’s what screwed the ARL in the first place.

6. I’m anti an NRL that engages in horrible corporate governance and makes decisions on a whim without even informing Commission members or has its head appoint himself to selection panel of Australian team etc.

Basically, I want NRL to do their job competently - maximise tv rights, engage genuinely with clubs, state codes and players, be transparent with finances and also announce its long term plans publicly on reforming the way the game is governed.

If NRL can’t do this then what’s the point of them? If they aren’t embracing the current governance framework then I can see why the clubs are shitty. They are meant to be key stakeholders yet NRL is treating them like plebs. Same with the players.

If NRL wanna start dictating terms to clubs like the AFL (having said that, AFL key stakeholder engagement is still phenomenal compared to NRL) then announce the plan to reform governance and fight it out with the Sydney clubs in public. I’m all for it. It’s 30 years overdue

However, this NRL by stealth crap trying to stack the NSWRL board to win votes… there’s a bad stench to that which will only lead to more infighting, as we’ve seen this last week.

No vision and poor governance will just see the Code continue to fall over itself in further, just as it has done since 1908.

MugaB

Coach
Ok, there may be wires crossed in my messaging.

Hopefully to clear it up:

1. I’m pro NRL rationalising the comp, reducing local Sydney clubs influence, relocating two clubs and eliminating state league interference.

2. I’m pro a competent NRL admin that is forward thinking, maximises tv rights and has a clear public plan for rationalising the comp, growing and consolidating juniors etc etc.

3. I’m pro an NRL (regardless of how flawed the current governance framework is) engaging its key stakeholders properly, in good faith and effectively. They don’t do this currently and PVL is happy to play all the drama out in the media - which actually damages the brand as it brings up the ghosts of Super League war.

4. Im pro players getting as much money for themselves as they possibly can. They deserve it. If your administration is withholding financial information and not selling a strategic vision - which they aren’t - it’s hard for players to sacrifice money for the good and long term growth of the game when they just seen NRL botch the media rights deal and AFL get $500m more

5. I’m anti an NRL engaging in this skullduggery shit, stealth takeover of NSWRL and QLD, keeping finances from the players and clubs and lying about Media rights deals. It only leads to unnecessary in fighting. Same shit been happening in league forever. If the NRL don’t have the nuts to say publicly “we need to finally reform the codes governance” then don’t be cowardly and attempt old school bullshit and backroom shenanigans. That’s what screwed the ARL in the first place.

6. I’m anti an NRL that engages in horrible corporate governance and makes decisions on a whim without even informing Commission members or has its head appoint himself to selection panel of Australian team etc.

Basically, I want NRL to do their job competently - maximise tv rights, engage genuinely with clubs, state codes and players, be transparent with finances and also announce its long term plans publicly on reforming the way the game is governed.

If NRL can’t do this then what’s the point of them? If they aren’t embracing the current governance framework then I can see why the clubs are shitty. They are meant to be key stakeholders yet NRL is treating them like plebs. Same with the players.

If NRL wanna start dictating terms to clubs like the AFL (having said that, AFL key stakeholder engagement is still phenomenal compared to NRL) then announce the plan to reform governance and fight it out with the Sydney clubs in public. I’m all for it. It’s 30 years overdue

However, this NRL by stealth crap trying to stack the NSWRL board to win votes… there’s a bad stench to that which will only lead to more infighting, as we’ve seen this last week.

No vision and poor governance will just see the Code continue to fall over itself in further, just as it has done since 1908.
Ok Alt... so what did you want again?

MugaB

Coach
its almost like your trying to derail the thread?
Nope... just pointing out that you love AFL... and rubbing everyones noses in the figures you post... afl do perf better than rugba ever did, look at what my afl did today.. big brown poopies on PVL deal.. yay for poopies, we wuv u afl!