What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

MugaB

Coach
They do player development
Only a select few clubs, not all clubs do it or do it enough to have them all circulate around the whole league en masse, like Penrith, Tigers or Sharks..
Most clubs do enough just to keep those they've developed, and thats it...
We need to be wary of accepting an 18th team who doesn't develop, i think redcliffe was the right call for no.17 as they do develop

Last edited:

Storm80

Juniors
Well the chairman is the head of the commission.

The comparison to the AFL is justified for the broadcasting deal. But not for much else.
Plenty is comparable between the codes:

1. Broadcasting deal
2. corporate governance
3. expansion strategy (including new clubs are provided support)
4. governance framework.

Sadly, in all 4 categories I can’t say NRL is better than it’s key rival.

Storm80

Juniors
I get people can not like PVL as a person, Or think possibly the TV deal was bad but you can't say with a straight face that there is no growth. Pretty much every metric says so, Aside from Crowds but Warriors being home should fix that. To me that is what matters
I have no idea what PVL is like as a person. I know what he is as Chairman. He’s let the game down massively by his actions.

Players and clubs and the game has lost out on 100’s of millions that should have been used to grow the game over the next decade and fund grass roots, expansion, player wages etc etc.

What we get is spin city in the media and utter garbage slamming the clubs and players. It’s completely unprofessional.

I’ve no idea how anyone thinks $500m more in media rights wouldn’t help the game grow bigger. What your settling for is mediocrity and going “but his we doing x y and z so that’s good enough i suppose”.

Only a select few clubs, not all clubs do it or do it enough to have them all circulate around the whole league en masse, like Penrith, Tigers or Sharks..
Most clubs do enough just to keep those they've developed, and thats it...
We need to be wary of accepting an 18th team who doesn't develop, i think redcliffe was the right call for no.17 as they do develop
It should be a condition of being a NRL club that you invest a large sum in junior development.

Poor Harry was talking of all the young players wages........ too bad he's not in touch with the equivalent aged, and experienced, tradies, ie: apprentices.
The average wage for an apprentice is a helluva lot lower than what the players he was talking of are on.
Bless the little bugger
Harry doesn't come over very intelligent, probably because he's not

Iamback

Coach
Poor Harry was talking of all the young players wages........ too bad he's not in touch with the equivalent aged, and experienced, tradies, ie: apprentices.
The average wage for an apprentice is a helluva lot lower than what the players he was talking of are on.
Bless the little bugger

That was my thought reading it an 18 year old Development NRL player is double a 1st year apprentice way

Iamback

Coach
I have no idea what PVL is like as a person. I know what he is as Chairman. He’s let the game down massively by his actions.

Players and clubs and the game has lost out on 100’s of millions that should have been used to grow the game over the next decade and fund grass roots, expansion, player wages etc etc.

What we get is spin city in the media and utter garbage slamming the clubs and players. It’s completely unprofessional.

I’ve no idea how anyone thinks $500m more in media rights wouldn’t help the game grow bigger. What your settling for is mediocrity and going “but his we doing x y and z so that’s good enough i suppose”.

1. Who says the game gets $500m more? Very few stoppages in the game. People have unrealistic expectations of what an NRL game earns the broadcasters

2. Players get 47% of that. Then the clubs and their bit and so on. It isn't like here is $500m lets go put it all into PNG or somewhere for talent.

As for wages, The article earlier in this thread had with the new cap average wage of $400k that stacks up very well against any Australian Domestic comp

Iamback

Coach
That cool million should be in Jackson Hastings pocket.... brooks isn't the worst half, but he aint better than ol' red

He is the only one to stick around, So when the club needs to pay up to get to the minimum cap. He won the lottery