What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Canard

Immortal

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Time to expand beyond our traditional areas though, or the game will become too niche and too limited.

The extra revenue generated by expanding our footprint can be used to develop our existing and enhance our existing grass roots, whilst developing a new market.
Agree with that and no problem. Hopefully the next team will take less than 25 years (and counting) to produce players for the player pool.

Perth Red

Post Whore
S
To what areas in Sydney do you determine as "working class" pre-tell?
Eastern Suburbs? The Roosters have been developing the CC for a while now because of this.
Balmain?
The Tigers have the Campbelltown area to compensate.
Many Warringah? The Northern Beaches is full of working class. A lot of them.play Union The North Sydney, North Shore region do not so.
Every other club has "working class" areas.
And while we are at it, what's Melbourne's excuse for lack of juniors coming through?
Plenty of working class areas down there.
Even Perth bring more juniors into the NRL than the Storm, and they dont even have a team...
Sorry I thought it was the nrl, not SRL?
Perth has traditionally been the strongest best state outside nsw and qlnd for player registrations and quality.
to get a sense of if it’s purely roi on money spent or other factors at play we’d need to know the money being spent, and on what.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Time to expand beyond our traditional areas though, or the game will become too niche and too limited.

The extra revenue generated by expanding our footprint can be used to develop our existing and enhance our existing grass roots, whilst developing a new market.
Yep, his model literally means NRL will never expand beyond its traditional bases. sadly the investment and structures for generating new areas of mass participation are so poor its not like we can go beyond the traditional with our current environment in his model.

I’m more interested in who finds the best 16/18 year olds and debuts them in nrl and those players have long and talented careers. Wherever they are from. That’s an nrl clubs job.

Canard

Immortal
Agree with that and no problem. Hopefully the next team will take less than 25 years (and counting) to produce players for the player pool.

I would lay the fault of any junior system at the feet of the games administrators (and when I say juniors) I mean under 16s.

How much investment has the NRL made in Melbourne Junior RL? How many development officers are on the ground etc.?

Surely expanding the games revenue, TV dollars, merchandise etc. is just as important, and will help fund junior pathways all over the country.

If the model is no juniors - no expansion, than the game is f**ked.

Wb1234

Referee
Tigers and Sharks are the other two big ones other than penrith, then souths & dragons in illawarra
Parra and dogs are just buying from these areas, and roosters develop minimal but do enough to keep that in house, they also scout in CC, meaning they aren't developing en masse like panthers, tigers and sharks do...
Manly are basically being fed by Blacktown, and whatever clubs are in their beaches area
Thats Syd in a nutshell,
Shows what a dud club manly are
You are arguing against yourself.

Not all clubs unanimously support this situation, just like what is happening in the NRL right now.
thsts not what I said

but you keep listening to the voices in your head

anyone that says afl doesn’t support its expansion clubs to the hilt unlike rugby league is either a fool or just trolling

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I would lay the fault of any junior system at the feet of the games administrators (and when I say juniors) I mean under 16s.

How much investment has the NRL made in Melbourne Junior RL? How many development officers are on the ground etc.?

Surely expanding the games revenue, TV dollars, merchandise etc. is just as important, and will help fund junior pathways all over the country.

If the model is no juniors - no expansion, than the game is f**ked.
Game looks pretty good to me.

Besides speed boats and a fourth storey on Cam Smith's house what have Melbourne invested? Or is all about putting your hand out?

S

Sorry I thought it was the nrl, not SRL?
Perth has traditionally been the strongest best state outside nsw and qlnd for player registrations and quality.
to get a sense of if it’s purely roi on money spent or other factors at play we’d need to know the money being spent, and on what.
You said regions and working class.
Plenty of working class in NQ, Brisbane, Canberra, Newcastle, Gold Coast, Melbourne, New Zealand.
I guess it was wrong of me to assume that you would know that, hence why I just asked about Sydney because going by your posts you know very little about Sydney.
So tell me, which clubs do you perceive to be for non working class regions?
This will be special.

Colk

First Grade
So that's just the usual blah blah blah without a lol or afl mention.

Why were Penrith given a team in 1967? Because it was seen that it was needed because league was played there. Ditto Cronulla. Ditto Canberra. Ditto Illawarra. Ditto Brisbane. Ditto North Queensland. Ditto Auckland. Ditto Gold Coast. Ditto Dolphins/Brisbane again.

You'll notice there is one team not mentioned there. The team that has no juniors and continues to take but not contribute to the junior pool.

Your small, selfish brain fails to realise that you put teams where kids are playing And those kids grow up to be first graders. That is why the ruling body, whatever guise it is made decision to put teams in these areas - because they built where they people are.

How would you grow the sport beyond those areas that already play it though?

You can also apply that to anything from a product viewpoint - we won’t sell the product to that area in the future because we know that area will never like it even though we have never it sold it to them before.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Impressive. But last time I looked Melbourne wasn't it Queensland.

If Perth or Timbuktu come in they will be just another drain on those Sydney clubs producing their own that you want kicked out of the comp
Then you need to be more specific in your criticism. Storm spend a great deal of money producing nrl players. Many teams have benefitted from their ability to turn out quality players. Just Because you dont like where they are spending their money doesn’t alter the fact they are! The fact the Storm have taken a RL area that will never have an nrl team and developed a direct pathway for kids from that area is a positive. I hope we do the same with the same success, alongside developing our WA talent.

it’s not the 1970’s anymore! Kids are free to go wherever they like to develop their careers.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
How would you grow the sport beyond those areas that already play it though?

You can also apply that to anything from a product statement - we won’t sell the product to that area in the future because we know that area will never like it even though we have never it sold it to them before.
Where do you want to sell it and why?

Is it just to put dots on a map? Let's look at Perth. Why Perth? What has Perth got? A small interest in rugby league. But what else? Is Perth such an economic powerhouse that going without a team going to be detrimental to the NRL? You don't expand just to show off. You expand to expose yourself to more eyes and ultimately more dollars. Is the cost of expansion to a new area like Perth really worth it?

AFL Red alleges that V'landys is beholden to television. If that's the case, wouldn't the TV networks be pushing for a Perth side if they thought it would increase their ability to make money?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Then you need to be more specific in your criticism. Storm spend a great deal of money producing nrl players. Many teams have benefitted from their ability to turn out quality players. Just Because you dont like where they are spending their money doesn’t alter the fact they are! The fact the Storm have taken a RL area that will never have an nrl team and developed a direct pathway for kids from that area is a positive. I hope we do the same with the same success, alongside developing our WA talent.

it’s not the 1970’s anymore! Kids are free to go wherever they like to develop their careers.
You always use this line about the 70s because you are obviously very thick. No one has ever said anything about juniors only playing for the first grade team they are geographically close to.

No need to reply I'll do it for you:
Lol. Pokie den. AFL. Perth.

Canard

Immortal
Game looks pretty good to me.

Besides speed boats and a fourth storey on Cam Smith's house what have Melbourne invested? Or is all about putting your hand out?

Created a genuine supporter base in Melbourne, added eyeballs to TV ratings and generated more money for the game as a whole.

The Storm have also been successful in ensuring that Super Rugby is a nothing burger in Melbourne and will likely fold soon.

Canard

Immortal
Where do you want to sell it and why?

Is it just to put dots on a map? Let's look at Perth. Why Perth? What has Perth got? A small interest in rugby league. But what else? Is Perth such an economic powerhouse that going without a team going to be detrimental to the NRL? You don't expand just to show off. You expand to expose yourself to more eyes and ultimately more dollars. Is the cost of expansion to a new area like Perth really worth it?

AFL Red alleges that V'landys is beholden to television. If that's the case, wouldn't the TV networks be pushing for a Perth side if they thought it would increase their ability to make money?

So where would to expand to for team 18?