What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Is it a good thing that clubs will get $5m to run operations?

For years we've had people from Sydney saying there's no money for expansion, yet now these clubs from the so-called heartland are consuming more than the Melbourne Storm. It's hypocritical to say the least and makes it hard to take this sport seriously or see it ever reaching its potential. People in our game are happy with being a big fish in a small pond.

Colk

First Grade
Wellington is hosting a game next year, There has to be some support there to 'buy' a game

Didn’t suggest there is no corporates or money in NZ, I am just suggesting that there is less of that than in a place like Perth.

Wellington and Christchurch are relatively small so it does make it more difficult. Definitely not impossible but it is a hurdle. You only have to look at teams from similar sized areas like Newcastle and the Gold Coast to see that it can be more difficult.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Nor would basing it on the notion that one club could cover an entire nz population :)
and if it could dont we have the warriors already there?

Nor would basing it on the notion that one club could cover an entire nz population :)
and if it could dont we have the warriors already there?
You support the storm supposedly so putting a Perth or New Zealand team in shouldn't affect you one way or the other.

Colk

First Grade
The difference between America and everyone else at the FIBA Women's World Cup was enormous. It's even more profound in men's basketball. Olympics should be for individual sports that don't have a big profile.

Soccer is the most ridiculous one trying to make it in essence a junior competition. It is like if the game itself is so uncommitted about actually really participating in the Olympics then they should not have them there.

Soccer is the most ridiculous one trying to make it in essence a junior competition. It is like if the game itself is so uncommitted about actually really participating in the Olympics then they should not have them there.
They should probably replace it with futsal or beach soccer.

Iamback

Coach
Didn’t suggest there is no corporates or money in NZ, I am just suggesting that there is less of that than in a place like Perth.

Wellington and Christchurch are relatively small so it does make it more difficult. Definitely not impossible but it is a hurdle. You only have to look at teams from similar sized areas like Newcastle and the Gold Coast to see that it can be more difficult.

Both are small though both through Rugby have shown they can handle professional teams

Also both have 30k seater stadiums, That very likely will get government support to get more content.

Warriors going well in the lower grades will help

Colk

First Grade
Wellington would have to be the best place for NZ 2. Christchurch has been more successful in sport, but the most important thing for NZ2 is sponsorship and corporate hospitality. Wellington will have more than Christchurch as it's the capital. Christchurch would be good for NZ 3.

I would be happy with either to be fair.

My preference for Christchurch is due to the potential North vs South Island rivalry if you could market it well, the sporting history of Christchurch and that really good stadium that they are building.

It would be great if you get all three areas represented as that would be ideal.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
what’s who I support got to do with your dumb argument That because nz have 5mill in it that somehow it’s a better bet than perth? It’s almost like your ignoring the discussion?
That's not my argument at all.

Here is part of my argument:
You've got more chance of converting rugby fans in nz to league than afl fans in Perth to the game.

MugaB

Coach

You've got more chance of converting rugby fans in nz to league than afl fans in Perth to the game.
Converting Rugby fans in Nz is tough enough, but you can have people in Perth fans of AFL and RL, point is there is no presence there, and they don't need to be converted, kids u might if you want them to be jnrs, but not fans, they can be both

Steel Saints

Juniors
The women's comp has all full strength senior teams, while the men's are under 23's. There's an obvious reason why Football is in the Olympics.

The Great Dane

First Grade

You are doomed to fail if you set out with the goal of converting other sport's fans as your target audience.

You're no more likely to convert a significant number of hardcore WC Eagles or Canterbury Crusaders fans than the AFL or RU are of converting a bunch of hardcore RL fans to a new side. The goal should be to find a gap in the market, fill that niche, then use that as a base from which to grow in the coming generations. In other words you can't convert the average, e.g., WC Eagles fan, but you could convert their kids.

Last edited:
It's hypocritical to say the least and makes it hard to take this sport seriously or see it ever reaching its potential. People in our game are happy with being a big fish in a small pond.
so why do you & your AFL buddy say you follow .
all you pair do is bitch & moan about everything .
then to top it off you have ideas that are so stupid I’m hoping you’re a troll .

Latest posts