What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Living on past glories! Every sport got back on the field, its not like he did something unique!

Yes I give him massive credit for finally making expansion happen. After a decade of talking about it he did it, sure it didn't bring in any money but at least we've got Brisbane2 (kind of) back after all these years. Perth we shall wait and see if and how before back slapping on that one.

But for any good he's done, the disaster of the tv deal (and tbh if its the case he has deliberately led the misinformation to players to dud them out of money) will always be his real legacy. Its cost the game hundreds of millions. The rest of this years f**k ups just add to the black column tally for him.

Not sure if its because hes a sydney blokey bloke type people are happy to see past his major stuff ups but any other ceo or chair of the game would have been totally crucified on here by now. The fact I seem to be in a minority is somewhat concerning.
Yet if Perth get a team so you can watch when the afl isn't on you'd want to root him.

Storm80

Juniors
Or measured against previous chairmen..
That’s a valid point to.

I don’t think anyone that overseas $500m difference in tv rights with the main rival code can ever really be held up as a great Chairman or comparable to the lost opportunities of those running previous administrations.

It’s all in its own stratosphere of f**kery

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yet if Perth get a team so you can watch when the afl isn't on you'd want to root him.
Like I said as a pro expansionist I'm a massive admirer of the fact he has actually got a new team in the comp. We've had over a decade of talk and zero action. If we get a perth team and its done right thats another feather in his cap, and for me personally a massive positive.

BUT, it doesnt excuse all the f**k ups which have been many and constant and seem to have no sign of slowing down.
I mean seriously just stop for a minute and think about the fact HIS decision (against his CEO and COO advice) meant we missed out on hundreds of millions of $'s for the game over the next 5 years.
Not only that but then had the bare faced nerve to come and and publicly admit he did it to help out his mates at News ltd. I mean its just mind boggling he's still in his job!

The latest very distasteful attempted deception of what players are due is in some ways even more concerning, unless it was a genuine mistake, but that seems incredibly unlikely. It is showing the ARLC and Vlandys has no respect or honesty.

Steel Saints

Juniors
That’s a valid point to.

I don’t think anyone that overseas $500m difference in tv rights with the main rival code can ever really be held up as a great Chairman or comparable to the lost opportunities of those running previous administrations.

It’s all in its own stratosphere of f**kery
The Super League War and the eventual compromise where the NRL was part owned by News from 1998-2012, did cost the game a helluva lot more.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Like I said as a pro expansionist I'm a massive admirer of the fact he has actually got a new team in the comp. We've had over a decade of talk and zero action. If we get a perth team and its done right thats another feather in his cap, and for me personally a massive positive.

BUT, it doesnt excuse all the f**k ups which have been many and constant and seem to have no sign of slowing down.
I mean seriously just stop for a minute and think about the fact HIS decision (against his CEO and COO advice) meant we missed out on hundreds of millions of $'s for the game over the next 5 years.
Not only that but then had the bare faced nerve to come and and publicly admit he did it to help out his mates at News ltd. I mean its just mind boggling he's still in his job!

The latest very distasteful attempted deception of what players are due is in some ways even more concerning, unless it was a genuine mistake, but that seems incredibly unlikely. It is showing the ARLC and Vlandys has no respect or honesty.
For it to be done right, here is a simple question. Does the Perth community want an NRL team?

Perth Red

Post Whore
For it to be done right, here is a simple question. Does the Perth community want an NRL team?
The RL community here does most definitely. and has been calling for it for a decade.
A WA based and owned team playing in Perth supporting the growth of the game in WA.
If, as I suspect, you are asking do we want ANY NRL team then Id say the community is much more split on that. Probably around 75-25 if my reading of it is anything to go by. 25% want a club regardless of anything, 75% want a proper WA club.
poll.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Super League War and the eventual compromise where the NRL was part owned by News from 1998-2012, did cost the game a helluva lot more.
That is true but the games leaders were having to deal with an environment that was hostile and incredibly compromised in its decision making. Todays leaders have had no such barriers. I think its fair to judge leaders from the inception of the ARLC against each other as they are working in similar environments.
Gallop/Grant
Smith
/Grant
Greenberg/Grant
Greenberg/Beattie
Greenberg/Vlandys
Abdo/Vlandys

That's who I see as running the game in respective periods since 2012

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looks like clubs have got their way. Pistol Pete safe for a while longer.

The NRL are on the verge of peace with the 17 clubs after offering a revised funding figure for the next five seasons.
After weeks of public jousting over the game's financial future, NRL management met with several club officials on Thursday morning.
There was significant progress, with both sides walking away positive about discussions and believing an in-principle deal was close to being struck.
AAP has been told the NRL responded on Thursday with an improved funding offer, with only minor matters still to be resolved.
Included in that are checks that funding will remain $5 million above the final negotiated total player payments on the men's side of the game.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Happy to be corrected.

AFL Red wants Vlandys to sort out the CBA and attend the world cup final in England at the same time?

As I said, happy to be corrected

As a Cowboys fan
this bloke is straight out embarrassing.
in TFC we have taken the piss out of the AFL nutters with their taking over ..insert country here .. rubbish & bizarre fantasies about how popular it is .
this bloke is right up there with the nuttiest of them .

once again ..Singapore😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Prove rugby league has zero chance of launching a professional rugby league club in Singapore.

If it's as impossible as you claim then you will have no problem proving it!

So what's your evidence, Phil?

All you do is hurl insults at anyone who doesn't follow your rigid and narrow-minded views of the world.

You are like a caricature of a drunken hillbilly who refuses to adapt with the landscape.

Idiots like you arrogantly laughed at the VFL launching teams in Sydney and Brisbane. Swans are now the largest and most prosperous sports club in NSW. Lions are more prosperous than all rugby league clubs bar the Broncos. It's proof a sport doesn't need to be dominant in a market to succeed in it.

Singapore is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations and has a strong relationship with Australia, New Zealand and England. It has a stadium ready to house a professional rugby league team. It has successfully hosted rugby union and soccer matches. The Japanese rugby union team that competed in Super Rugby played games there and Twiggy Forrest's rebel competition had a team based in Singapore. Twiggy saw the potential of the Singaporean market, and with all due respect, I'll take his opinion over some narrow-minded wanker on an internet forum who can barely spell.

He doesn't seem to be much of a Cowboys fan, more of a SEQ based "I'm not a Broncos fan".

Ironically now that the Dolphins have come into the comp, the team that most represents Southern Brisbane is the Broncos

I spend hundreds of dollars on Cowboys memberships and merchandise every year. I've probably spent more money on the club than you have, so f**k off with your crazy hillbilly theories.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Prove rugby league has zero chance of launching a professional rugby league club in Singapore.

If it's as impossible as you claim then you will have no problem proving it!

So what's your evidence, Phil?

All you do is hurl insults at anyone who doesn't follow your rigid and narrow-minded views of the world.

You are like a caricature of a drunken hillbilly who refuses to adapt with the landscape.

Idiots like you arrogantly laughed at the VFL launching teams in Sydney and Brisbane. Swans are now the largest and most prosperous sports club in NSW. Lions are more prosperous than all rugby league clubs bar the Broncos. It's proof a sport doesn't need to be dominant in a market to succeed in it.

Singapore is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations and has a strong relationship with Australia, New Zealand and England. It has a stadium ready to house a professional rugby league team. It has successfully hosted rugby union and soccer matches. The Japanese rugby union team that competed in Super Rugby played games there and. Twiggy Forrest's rebel competition had a team based in Singapore. Twiggy saw the potential of the Singaporean market, and with all due respect, I'll take his opinion over some narrow-minded wanker on an internet forum who can barely spell.

I spend hundreds of dollars on Cowboys memberships and merchandise every year. I've probably spent more money on the club than you have, so f**k off with your crazy hillbilly theories.
Soooooo... what happened to twiggys comp?
Stop talking smack, just admit you got bitch slapped by lucky phil and be done with it

Btw who gives a fk how much you spend compared to others, dont mean you're a better fan, just dumber for over spending

Back to pistol pete. Can anyone explain to me why he just signed a $12million a year naming rights deal with Telstra when our main competitors achieved a $22million a year naming rights deal with Toyota/NAB?
@Phil McGrawhan will ignore your question then call you names he learnt in the school yard, which is more than he ever learnt in the classroom.

Our game is either run by incompetent businessmen or the commercial don't believe we're as valuable to them as AwFuL. I think it's a bit of both. I hate to say it, but AwFuL gets more coverage in the media and is the most recogisable sport in this country. We've helped them along by refusing to expand. We've got people on here who don't want us to expand into new markets. It's embarrassing how insular and dumb many of our game's fans are and it sums up why the rest of society looks down on our sport.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
@Phil McGrahan will ignore your question then call you names he learnt in the school yard, which is more than he ever learnt in the classroom.

Our game is either run by incompetent businessmen or the commercial don't believe we're as valuable to them as AwFuL. I think it's a bit of both. I hate to say it, but AwFuL gets more coverage in the media and is the most recogisable sport in this country. We've helped them along by refusing to expand. We've got people on here who don't want us to expand into new markets. It's embarrassing how insular and dumb many of our game's fans are and it sums up why the rest of society looks down on our sport.
STFU already.. fk me u R boring

Latest posts