What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's fine, but would they expect a drop in money if revenue dropped for the game?
Tbf yes. They have taken a drop in cap over the covid years when the nrls revenue dropped.
lm all for the cap being increased and the money going to the bottom end of the player pay pyramid. And a player welfare fund is no bad thing Imo. They need to get rid of the player bonus if surplus achieved though, surpluses should be for asset building not paying players more.

clubs I’d cap at $3mill over cap plus cost of nrlw team plus $1million for reserve grade side costs. They really shouldnt need more than that and if they do then maybe they shouldn’t be in the top tier.

Canard

Immortal
I don't give a f**k what you saw. It got scant coverage over here in the eastern states as it didn't have a team from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. If we want our game to be taken seriously in Adelaide and Perth then we will need to give them a team of their own. If we want the game to carve out a niche in Singapore then we will need to put a team there. Fumbleball's growth in Brisbane and Sydney is based on the existence of the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Lions Football Club and Sydney Swans.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Can’t remember the last time we had a final involving kangaroos overseas and the games ceo wasn’t there. its embarrassing for Australian rugby league

they used the pss poor excuse that they needed to sort the cba out, problem is the bloke they need to sort it out with is in uk! Makes total sense for them not to be there lol
I'm embarrassed for you that you think this is a big deal.

And as I said, if Newton wants to fly to England good luck to him, why the f**k would V'landys follow him? This isn't the 70s lol, there's a lot of ways to communicate rather than face to face.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm embarrassed for you that you think this is a big deal.

And as I said, if Newton wants to fly to England good luck to him, why the f**k would V'landys follow him? This isn't the 70s lol, there's a lot of ways to communicate rather than face to face.
I’m embarrassed for you that you are an Australian RL fan and dont think it is. It’s akin to the PM not being arsed to go to the queens funeral because he’s busy. There are obligations to the game and once again our esteemed leaders are abdicating them. I seem to remember pistol Pete had no problem heading over for some horse race this year!
The excuse they used is pathetic when you take into account the fact that the bloke they need to be meeting with is actually over there himself.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I’m embarrassed for you that you are an Australian RL fan and dont think it is. It’s akin to the PM not being arsed to go to the queens funeral because he’s busy. There are obligations to the game and once again our esteemed leaders are abdicating them. I seem to remember pistol Pete had no problem heading over for some horse race this year!
The excuse they used is pathetic when you take into account the fact that the bloke they need to be meeting with is actually over there himself.
You should be more concerned that England isn't attending the final.

Colk

First Grade
On the list of priorities I would rank a team outside Australasia as being 99 on a list of 100.

It might happen but it is not likely. If the question was however, could or should we play a game in places like South East Asia then why the hell not. If the plan is to play a game in America every year, predominantly for gambling money, then sure play a game in Singapore for the same reason.

Canard

Immortal
It might happen but it is not likely. If the question was however, could or should we play a game in places like South East Asia then why the hell not. If the plan is to play a game in America every year, predominantly for gambling money, then sure play a game in Singapore for the same reason.

That's a different question. As a one off, I don't really care.

But let's be honest aside from the gambling angle, these things are really just an excuse for the administrators and players to have a junket.

Wb1234

Immortal
The other thing the players and RLPA forget is negative headlines doesn't help the game. If players are up to mischief and are tangled up with police charges, not only do they bring the game into disrepute, but are also costing revenue in sponsorship.

If the NRL had more sponsorship dollars, then they can pay the players more. We can always blame administrators, but if the players behave well, they will get well paid.

If they act like boofheads, then don't blame Abdo, PVL and the commission.
Last pay deal they said pay us more we will be partners in the game

once the deal got signed it was one of the worst off season ever for players misbehaving

MugaB

Coach
You're wrong like usual. Learn how to use Google.

A season was held in 2019 and won by the Western Force. The 2020 season was cancelled due to COVID-19 after one round. Force were then added into the Super Rugby Australia league.

Singapore's Asia Pacific Dragons entered the 2018 Global Force Rugby season that was cancelled. They went on to compete in other competitions.

I'd like to know what the other village idiot @MugaB thinks of a Singaporean team calling itself the Dragons. The idiot accused me of racism when I said St George Dragons would be the best candidate to relocate to Singapore as the dragon is revered in Chinese mythology and the club's colours match up with the Singaporean flag.

@Phil McGrawhan said American sports work in Japan due to cultural influence since WWII. Rugby union has been played in Singapore since the 19th century. Singapore is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations and has been heavily influenced by English culture. Phil doesn't know shit about history and lives in a fantasy world.

I'm still waiting for him to explain how soccer went from being a sport only played in England in the 19th century to being played everywhere!

Starting up an NRL team in Singapore wouldn't be much different to the challenges the Melbourne Storm faced. Few people in Melbourne knew the difference between RL and RU in 1998. They now know the difference between RL and RU. They no longer call RL "rugby". Storm have carved out a strong niche following across the city. RL is now more popular than RU in Melbourne. The same thing can happen for an NRL club in Singapore if it's marketed and funded appropriately.
But you are a racist, and the fact you have me ignore, means you wont see this anyway fükwit

Colk

First Grade
That's a different question. As a one off, I don't really care.

But let's be honest aside from the gambling angle, these things are really just an excuse for the administrators and players to have a junket.

That is the only thing I’d argue. If you could attract greater sponsorship (even through some ex-pats living in these areas and Singapore has a significant number) and maybe betting money then you could argue it is an option for a one off game like the US.