What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Isn't this really, the clubs getting what was agreed in the first place?
The Clubs may reach agreement with the NRL but will the RLPA?

In the article below the RLPA are pushing for players to be paid additional money for playing in finals and these payments to be excluded under the cap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) has tabled a new proposal for players to receive extra payments outside of the salary cap for NRL Finals appearances, akin to the current arrangement for State of Origin players.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald, players from the top eight teams could make up to $36,000 outside the salary cap should be plan go ahead.

Grand final participants would earn $16,000 for playing in the season's ultimate game, while week one finalists would receive $4000, with that number going up each week of the finals. This means that a player could earn up to $36,000 on top of their current salary without any impact on their club's salary cap position if they can get all the way to the grand final.

“Playing finals is a reward for players, clubs and fans,” RPLA head Clint Newton told the Herald.

“The players who train and play for the biggest games of the season should be rewarded for that and share in the game's success.

“Playing finals is more revenue for the game and more games for the players, which involves additional heavy contact – and they're the most intense games outside of Origin.

“Our proposal means each player is paid the same match fee for each finals game and is separate to what clubs would otherwise receive.”

The plan has already been met with some criticism, with concerns about whether such a policy would create a situation where players would take less money to sign with a successful club over a struggling outfit, creating and entrenching further disparity between the game's best teams and the rest.

Negotiations are ongoing.

@Phil McGrawhan will ignore your question then call you names he learnt in the school yard, which is more than he ever learnt in the classroom.

Our game is either run by incompetent businessmen or the commercial don't believe we're as valuable to them as AwFuL. I think it's a bit of both. I hate to say it, but AwFuL gets more coverage in the media and is the most recogisable sport in this country. We've helped them along by refusing to expand. We've got people on here who don't want us to expand into new markets. It's embarrassing how insular and dumb many of our game's fans are and it sums up why the rest of society looks down on our sport.
It has to be viable to expand into new markets though as otherwise you run the risk of it failing.

There is only one logical new market in Australia which is WA - Can't see there being a market in SA/TAS or NT for Rugby League.

Overseas the logical market is PNG ahead of a second NZ team.

No use banging on about too many teams in Sydney and relocating Sydney teams as it will never happen as the increase in funding will mean all teams not just Sydney Teams will always be financially viable.

Iamback

Coach
The Clubs may reach agreement with the NRL but will the RLPA?

In the article below the RLPA are pushing for players to be paid additional money for playing in finals and these payments to be excluded under the cap.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) has tabled a new proposal for players to receive extra payments outside of the salary cap for NRL Finals appearances, akin to the current arrangement for State of Origin players.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald, players from the top eight teams could make up to $36,000 outside the salary cap should be plan go ahead.

Grand final participants would earn $16,000 for playing in the season's ultimate game, while week one finalists would receive $4000, with that number going up each week of the finals. This means that a player could earn up to $36,000 on top of their current salary without any impact on their club's salary cap position if they can get all the way to the grand final.

“Playing finals is a reward for players, clubs and fans,” RPLA head Clint Newton told the Herald.

“The players who train and play for the biggest games of the season should be rewarded for that and share in the game's success.

“Playing finals is more revenue for the game and more games for the players, which involves additional heavy contact – and they're the most intense games outside of Origin.

“Our proposal means each player is paid the same match fee for each finals game and is separate to what clubs would otherwise receive.”

The plan has already been met with some criticism, with concerns about whether such a policy would create a situation where players would take less money to sign with a successful club over a struggling outfit, creating and entrenching further disparity between the game's best teams and the rest.

Negotiations are ongoing.

Play for a good team get $90k Origin
$36k for finals

That is so dumb

It has to be viable to expand into new markets though as otherwise you run the risk of it failing.

There is only one logical new market in Australia which is WA - Can't see there being a market in SA/TAS or NT for Rugby League.

Overseas the logical market is PNG ahead of a second NZ team.

No use banging on about too many teams in Sydney and relocating Sydney teams as it will never happen as the increase in funding will mean all teams not just Sydney Teams will always be financially viable.
Where do you think a third world country like PNG is going to find the capital needed to field a team in the NRL?

About two-thirds of Papuans don't have access to electricity. GDP per capita in PNG is extremely low, with most people living in poverty.

It would be less risky to put a team in Adelaide, although we're decades away from it happening with the way our game is run.

No Sydney team will relocate under the current funding scheme, but it doesn't change the fact some clubs are unable to generate enough revenue to stand on their own feet. Throwing money at them won't make them won't make them viable. People on here laugh at AwFuL for funding the Swans, Lions, Suns and Giants, but they're happy with the ARLC propping up small clubs like the Sharks, Bulldogs, Tigers, Dragons and Sea Eagles. It's a huge double standard.

Bulldogs and Sharks generated just $3.6m and $4m in sponsorship and hospitality last year. Cowboys and Broncos generated $8.9m and $12.7m. Lions and Swans generated $9m and $15m.

The fact that so many Sydney clubs need $5m above the salary cap to stay afloat proves they're failed businesses. Our game will keep propping them up and remain a dying sport.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The cba is with the players. The ceo of the rlpa is in England. Makes total sense for the ceo AND chairman to embarrass the Australian game by ditching being at the RLWC final!
So you want them to chase the ceo of the rlpa across the world? This isn't the 70s lol. You can communicate by other means than face to face. And is Newton talking to players about the cba while their preparing for the world cup final? He's obviously got their welfare at heart.

I'm sure there's enough Australian representation at the final without Abdo and V'landys being there.

If V'landys was there you'd accuse him of being on a junket anyway.

Canard

Immortal
Prove rugby league has zero chance of launching a professional rugby league club in Singapore.

If it's as impossible as you claim then you will have no problem proving it!

So what's your evidence, Phil?

All you do is hurl insults at anyone who doesn't follow your rigid and narrow-minded views of the world.

You are like a caricature of a drunken hillbilly who refuses to adapt with the landscape.

Idiots like you arrogantly laughed at the VFL launching teams in Sydney and Brisbane. Swans are now the largest and most prosperous sports club in NSW. Lions are more prosperous than all rugby league clubs bar the Broncos. It's proof a sport doesn't need to be dominant in a market to succeed in it.

Singapore is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations and has a strong relationship with Australia, New Zealand and England. It has a stadium ready to house a professional rugby league team. It has successfully hosted rugby union and soccer matches. The Japanese rugby union team that competed in Super Rugby played games there and Twiggy Forrest's rebel competition had a team based in Singapore. Twiggy saw the potential of the Singaporean market, and with all due respect, I'll take his opinion over some narrow-minded wanker on an internet forum who can barely spell.

I spend hundreds of dollars on Cowboys memberships and merchandise every year. I've probably spent more money on the club than you have, so f**k off with your crazy hillbilly theories.

You mention the Rebel Union League like it happened? Did I miss something I thought it was just an idea that went nowhere?

Wb1234

Referee
See the players are asking for an increased revenue share of the game plus they also want extra money from magic weekend, and finals

given the increase in the games revenue they are looking for a bigger cut of a much bigger pie

You mention the Rebel Union League like it happened? Did I miss something I thought it was just an idea that went nowhere?
You're wrong like usual. Learn how to use Google.

A season was held in 2019 and won by the Western Force. The 2020 season was cancelled due to COVID-19 after one round. Force were then added into the Super Rugby Australia league.

Singapore's Asia Pacific Dragons entered the 2018 Global Force Rugby season that was cancelled. They went on to compete in other competitions.

I'd like to know what the other village idiot @MugaB thinks of a Singaporean team calling itself the Dragons. The idiot accused me of racism when I said St George Dragons would be the best candidate to relocate to Singapore as the dragon is revered in Chinese mythology and the club's colours match up with the Singaporean flag.

@Phil McGrawhan said American sports work in Japan due to cultural influence since WWII. Rugby union has been played in Singapore since the 19th century. Singapore is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations and has been heavily influenced by English culture. Phil doesn't know shit about history and lives in a fantasy world.

I'm still waiting for him to explain how soccer went from being a sport only played in England in the 19th century to being played everywhere!

Starting up an NRL team in Singapore wouldn't be much different to the challenges the Melbourne Storm faced. Few people in Melbourne knew the difference between RL and RU in 1998. They now know the difference between RL and RU. They no longer call RL "rugby". Storm have carved out a strong niche following across the city. RL is now more popular than RU in Melbourne. The same thing can happen for an NRL club in Singapore if it's marketed and funded appropriately.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
You're wrong like usual. Learn how to use Google.

A season was held in 2019 and won by the Western Force. The 2020 season was cancelled due to COVID-19 after one round. Force were then added into the Super Rugby Australia league.

Singapore's Asia Pacific Dragons entered the 2018 Global Force Rugby season that was cancelled. They went on to compete in other competitions.

I'd like to know what the other village idiot @MugaB thinks of a Singaporean team calling itself the Dragons. The idiot accused me of racism when I said St George Dragons would be the best candidate to relocate to Singapore as the dragon is revered in Chinese mythology and the club's colours match up with the Singaporean flag.

@Phil McGrawhan said American sports work in Japan due to cultural influence since WWII. Rugby union has been played in Singapore since the 19th century. Singapore is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations and has been heavily influenced by English culture. Phil doesn't know shit about history and lives in a fantasy world.

I'm still waiting for him to explain how soccer went from being a sport only played in England in the 19th century to being played everywhere!

Starting up an NRL team in Singapore wouldn't be much different to the challenges the Melbourne Storm faced. Few people in Melbourne knew the difference between RL and RU in 1998 They now know the difference between RL and RU. They no longer call RL "rugby". Storm have carved out a strong niche following across the city. RL is now more popular than RU in Melbourne. The same thing can happen for an NRL club in Singapore if it's marketed and funded appropriately.

Honestly never saw any vision of this, any news coverage or even online chat.

What were there crowds like?

Honestly never saw any vision of this, any news coverage or even online chat.

What were there crowds like?
I don't give a f**k what you saw. It got scant coverage over here in the eastern states as it didn't have a team from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. If we want our game to be taken seriously in Adelaide and Perth then we will need to give them a team of their own. If we want the game to carve out a niche in Singapore then we will need to put a team there. Fumbleball's growth in Brisbane and Sydney is based on the existence of the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Lions Football Club and Sydney Swans.

I don't give a f**k what you saw. It got scant coverage over here in the eastern states as it didn't have a team from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. If we want our game to be taken seriously in Adelaide and Perth then we will need to give them a team of their own. If we want the game to carve out a niche in Singapore then we will need to put a team there. Fumbleball's growth in Brisbane and Sydney is based on the existence of the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Lions Football Club and Sydney Swans.
Aggression has now kicked in with this loon. If he's got a cat i hope it's smart enough to stay out of his kicking range.

Steel Saints

Juniors
That's fine, but would they expect a drop in money if revenue dropped for the game?

The other thing the players and RLPA forget is negative headlines doesn't help the game. If players are up to mischief and are tangled up with police charges, not only do they bring the game into disrepute, but are also costing revenue in sponsorship.

If the NRL had more sponsorship dollars, then they can pay the players more. We can always blame administrators, but if the players behave well, they will get well paid.

If they act like boofheads, then don't blame Abdo, PVL and the commission.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So you want them to chase the ceo of the rlpa across the world? This isn't the 70s lol. You can communicate by other means than face to face. And is Newton talking to players about the cba while their preparing for the world cup final? He's obviously got their welfare at heart.

I'm sure there's enough Australian representation at the final without Abdo and V'landys being there.

If V'landys was there you'd accuse him of being on a junket anyway.
Can’t remember the last time we had a final involving kangaroos overseas and the games ceo wasn’t there. its embarrassing for Australian rugby league

they used the pss poor excuse that they needed to sort the cba out, problem is the bloke they need to sort it out with is in uk! Makes total sense for them not to be there lol