What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is a big difference between bleeding the networks and getting a good deal for both parties.

Lets break down the deals

Ch9's who's figures we know, 100 games roughly and are paying $115m cash. That has them paying over a $1m per game they show.

Due to deal with Fox Sunday and Friday games struggle to even get 500k in viewers. Origin is where they can make cash back

There are no extra games for them, The games aren't into quarters to allow more ads. When refs let the games flow there aren't even a lot of stoppages to insert ads into general play.

Fox/Sky - they show 204 games while we don't know the exact figures. Whatever figure is used it still is again $1m a game.

Dolphins did come in and Fox upped their price, But there was no new content created.

Like with Ch9, Games are still in halves. There are no ads during play. So no new sources for ad space.

This is without the production costs, Maintenance etc

Fox has released overall Sub numbers, Of the 4.5m that have Fox sports.

How much realistically could you raise sub fees and keep existing customers?

What about getting new ones in?

You make them pay out more then lose subs and then they can't pay in the future. The plans are for 3 more sides in the current and next tv cycle.

The more viable options the more chance those extra games bring in what they should. Killing Foxtel now to make them not a player may of brought more now BUT less next deal.

As I said to the other poster it is easy to say the deal is bad and should be more but reality tells a different story.
$395mill (at best) v $530mill. Ch9/Stan bidding $500-550mill, 10/Paramount bidding $600mill.
Seems the TV companies did have more money to pay more after all doesnt it?

re FTA Origin has been valued at $30mill value to TV. So in effect Ch9 are paying $85mill cash a year for their 3 NRL games a week. HALF the amount Ch7 is paying AFL for 4 games a week (and better state covg). Ch9 execs must be pssing themselves laughing.

and once again for the hard to comprehend, the content hasnt changed much for either code. AFL is getting more games with Tassie (if it happens) and NRL got 12 more games with Dolphins. Yet the gap went from 10-20% to 30-40%!

NRL needs to get its arse into gear, get a 20 team comp and push for competitive bidding. Only way we are closing that $150mill a year gap from 2028.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
It’s apretty accurate guess on cash components , and I’m being generous on the nrl component and you know it,

and again all of those difference have existed for the last three tv deals. All of which carried a 10-20% gap. The nrl has added more content and an allegedly valuable second brisbane team, as well as other concessions such as closing digital media down. And with all that the gap has doubled!
Spin it how you like the stark reality is we have added more value for tv and somehow ended twice as worse off!
Look to get down to the nitty gritty of our debate ,and the why's and wherefores ,I suggest you do some research as you are 100% we got diddled.
You need to go and establish what was the total revenue received by channel 7 and indeed Fox for their advertising that directly relates to fumble ball.They have held fumble ball for ages.
Then when you have done this task as you are the guy who continually states the rip off is spot on, research how much advertising revenue CHNein and Fox paid for advertising directly on Rugby league broadcasts.
Then after you have completed that exercise compare the companies who advertise for each code, and further check whether execs on some of these companies have direct ties with each code.And what sort of profile and profitability.The head of Wesfarmers a big Oz company is on the board of the fumbletons.
And to get you further upset. I read today on News.com.au Peter van Olselen former ch10 project host stating that network is on the verge of a disaster and may not be able to survive.
And wait for it something I have continually brought up which you ignored" The recent downturn for Paramount which has experienced a drastic decline in its stock price from$97 to less than $15 in 2 years".
He doubts their long term viability.Paramount is struggling competing with the streaming giants.They lost US $1b first qtr this year.
So much for the competitive tension we were told .It would appear if PVL had gone ahead with any deal with ch10 ,we'd get what happened to 10 before.
The stark reality is you rely on journos and anti PVL types for the ripped off approach.And your comparisons are not comparisons. if the codes were 4 qtrs went the same length and NRL repped in all states with 2 teams the comparisons would be closer.And that me warm beer drinking lad is no spin.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Look to get down to the nitty gritty of our debate ,and the why's and wherefores ,I suggest you do some research as you are 100% we got diddled.
You need to go and establish what was the total revenue received by channel 7 and indeed Fox for their advertising that directly relates to fumble ball.They have held fumble ball for ages.
Then when you have done this task as you are the guy who continually states the rip off is spot on, research how much advertising revenue CHNein and Fox paid for advertising directly on Rugby league broadcasts.
Then after you have completed that exercise compare the companies who advertise for each code, and further check whether execs on some of these companies have direct ties with each code.And what sort of profile and profitability.The head of Wesfarmers a big Oz company is on the board of the fumbletons.
And to get you further upset. I read today on News.com.au Peter van Olselen former ch10 project host stating that network is on the verge of a disaster and may not be able to survive.
And wait for it something I have continually brought up which you ignored" The recent downturn for Paramount which has experienced a drastic decline in its stock price from$97 to less than $15 in 2 years".
He doubts their long term viability.Paramount is struggling competing with the streaming giants.They lost US $1b first qtr this year.
So much for the competitive tension we were told .It would appear if PVL had gone ahead with any deal with ch10 ,we'd get what happened to 10 before.
The stark reality is you rely on journos and anti PVL types for the ripped off approach.And your comparisons are not comparisons. if the codes were 4 qtrs went the same length and NRL repped in all states with 2 teams the comparisons would be closer.And that me warm beer drinking lad is no spin.
I don’t need to, nothing has changed and the gap has gone from 10-20% to 30-40%. That’s all the evidence you need of how sht a deal we got.

I’m not saying we should have got more, or even the same. They have 5 metro reach (that’s our fault we still don’t) and more advertising for fta, and generally are better at negotiating deals. We have origin, nz and bigger Australian audiences, particularly on ptv, In our favour. If you can explain to me why fox still pay us so much less despite the evidence we provide more subscribers I’m all ears.

But we should not be $130-150million behind when the last deal had us $21million behind! Nothing has changed to justify that gap increase, in fact if anything things have changed in our favour With brisbane2 added, increased nrlw and other concessions made. All afl have done is add tassie, maybe, and a magic weekend which we already had.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
I don’t need to, nothing has changed and the gap has gone from 10-20% to 30-40%. That’s all the evidence you need of how sht a deal we got.

I’m not saying we should have got more, or even the same. They have 5 metro reach (that’s our fault we still don’t) and more advertising for fta, and generally are better at negotiating deals. We have origin, nz and bigger Australian audiences In our favour.
But we should not be $150million behind when the last deal had us $21million behind!
Of course you don't need to ,maybe knowing the revenue for advertising may be revealing. Going around in circles bud, you're going to continue with the we "wuz" robbed routine, and I'm going to continue with compare apples with apples and closer to the bone ad revenue with ad revenue. Because it's the ad revenue in the end that pays the bikkies for the codes.
This is the first time I can remember we got a major bank to sponsor SOO.We had quite a few years back a schoolboy comp, sponsored by the CBA.After a few brawls they flicked us.NAB has been with the fumblers for quite some time, as is Toyota.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Didn't limit them much with the fumblers.

Ahh this old chestnut.

You do realise both codes are year 1 of post covid deals?

Deals which NRL recieves more per game then AFL.

So to my question. If $10m a round of 8 games isn't a fair price then what is?

JD-Roo

Juniors
Peter van Onselen claims Channel 10 is on verge of ‘disaster’ as Paramount stock plummets

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Massive ratings for an average game last night and terrible coverage from nine

other sports look at origin with envy

neutral origins in afl states are going to play a big part in the growth of the game in afl states
What blows me away is the ignorance of some on here who say SOO should only be played in N.S.W. and Qld. Unbelievable. Would be the first to moan when we started getting half empty stadiums.

Again easy to say with nothing to back it up.

Fox sports only has 4.5m subs - So what limits what they can spend

Very true. I mean what's the point of "holding them to ransom" on what they are charged, for said charge to cause them to default on those payments and go bankrupt? You don't maximise getting wool by slaughtering the sheep.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very true. I mean what's the point of "holding them to ransom" on what they are charged, for said charge to cause them to default on those payments and go bankrupt? You don't maximise getting wool by slaughtering the sheep.
Nor do you only take have the fleece when it’s time to shear and leave half behind for your competitor to take!
Tv companies were willing to pay afl $600mill a year. Leaving $200mill on the table was mind boggling, and seeing some on here trying to defend the indefensible is even MOre staggering.
Goes to show that if you just appeal to the stupidity of the masses you can do pretty much anything and get away with it! Fair play to pistol Pete for that.

Wb1234

Referee
Nor do you only take have the fleece when it’s time to shear and leave half behind for your competitor to take!
Tv companies were willing to pay afl $600mill a year. Leaving $200mill on the table was mind boggling, and seeing some on here trying to defend the indefensible is even MOre staggering.
Goes to show that if you just appeal to the stupidity of the masses you can do pretty much anything and get away with it! Fair play to pistol Pete for that.
Telstra isn’t a tv company

Iamback

Coach

Exactly, The plan was to expand

They got $10m a round for 8 games, Hardly got ripped off.

Extending by 5 years not 2 post covid allowed expansion.

The plan is 20 teams BEFORE the NEXT deal ends. That is going to result in a huge increase, An increase that isn't there IF you send Fox broke OR only extend for 2 years and not 5