What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
For everything PR is right about when it comes to expansion, he jeopardises it with a twitter brain panic attack about an income stream that isn’t even in the top 10 for most immoral in sport. Maybe even 15.

How many Panthers LC members are there compared to Panthers FC members? 126k - 19k.
Wanting to pss your money away on a pokie machine and wanting to watch a RL team are two very different past times.
I'm not sure if you know how club laws are here?
If you live within a 5km radius of the club you have to be a member, or at least signed in by one.
I'm a member of 5 different clubs and I don't play the pokies at all, but I do have to be a member of 4 of them because of where I live, and I do like the feeds and beers they have.

Bukowski

Juniors
eb
I'm not sure if you know how club laws are here?
If you live within a 5km radius of the club you have to be a member, or at least signed in by one.
I'm a member of 5 different clubs and I don't play the pokies at all, but I do have to be a member of 4 of them because of where I live, and I do like the feeds and beers they have.
And that's the point. Just because someone is a member of North Sydney Leagues doesn't mean they support Norths or even watch the footy.

Bukowski

Juniors
It was the piss money pokies comment I was referring to, just trying to clarify that not everyone goes to a club for the pokies.
What you are referring to is very correct.
Ah right. I miss the Sydney clubs, always go to a few of my old ones when I'm back in town and like you never touch the pokies. Most places they are tucked away and you don't even see them.

Iamback

Coach
Ah right. I miss the Sydney clubs, always go to a few of my old ones when I'm back in town and like you never touch the pokies. Most places they are tucked away and you don't even see them.

They are good for if the bar line is huge. Sit in front of one and order drinks from it

Desert Qlder

First Grade

State leagues preparing legal action against NRL over funding​

A heated funding dispute between the NRL and two state organisations is set to escalate dramatically, with major stakeholders in NSW and Queensland preparing to sue the governing body over how much money their key competitions should receive.

The Queensland Rugby League and the New South Wales Rugby League have been at loggerheads with Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’landys and NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo for more than 18 months over how much money they should receive to fund state-based programs and competitions, including junior and women’s leagues.

Retrospective cuts to last year’s funding and a lack of clarity over how much money they will receive in 2024 have escalated tensions. Rugby league sources, who requested anonymity to speak freely, said the state leagues are preparing to file legal proceedings. Documents are expected to be filed in the NSW Supreme Court within weeks.

The Queensland Rugby League and NSWRL declined to comment. The NRL also declined to comment.

Queensland Rugby League and the NSWRL run state-based teams, the Queensland Maroons and the NSW Blues, which compete each year in the State of Origin.

The state leagues want a portion of about $400 million in funding that has been put aside by the Australian Rugby League Commission for investment in pathway programs and participation.

States are meant to have funding approved by September 30 to kick off the rugby league’s financial year on November 1. The state leagues only received final budget approval from the ARLC for 2023 with two months remaining in the financial year, at a level well below the states’ funding request.

A decision on funding for 2024 has not yet been finalised and is now more than three months overdue, despite the fact some state-based competitions have already started. Rugby league sources said the court action will allow the state leagues to work out the best to way determine future funding and allocation.

Rugby league sources claim that uncertainty around funding could lead to community rugby league programs being abandoned or young players having to pay greater fees to offset rising costs.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph this week, ARLC chairman Peter V’landys said the NRL wanted to get back to investing in country rugby league, but he signalled he wanted to invest directly with local clubs rather than the state leagues.

“The NSWRL and QRL run the competitions, but they don’t fund the clubs,” he said. “I want to change that. Even money for registrations, insurance, footballs and jumpers.”

This isn’t the first time the state leagues have engaged lawyers. In 2022, the NSWRL took the NRL to the NSW Supreme Court over a dispute that started when Cronulla chief executive Dino Mezzatesta was told he was ineligible to run for the NSWRL board because, as a paid employee of the club, he had a conflict of interest.

The decision prompted Sydney Roosters boss Nick Politis and official doctor George Peponis to resign from the board and led Mr V’landys to intervene on behalf of the Sydney clubs.

Mr V’landys launched an investigation, which he said found the NSWRL board elections should be run again. The ARLC warned the NSW state union it would withhold funding until there was a fresh election and threatened to remove the right of the NSWRL to compete in the State of Origin, prompting the league to launch legal action.

The NSWRL kept the right to compete in the State of Origin and for the election to stand, but chief executive David Trodden has since said publicly that the amount of money received from the ARLC since the court action is much smaller. The initial court decision ruled the ARLC had not breached the services agreement by refusing to provide further funding.

Mr V’landys described the legal action as a “gross waste of money” and both parties claimed a win.

Another round of litigation could not come at a worse time for the NRL, which is trying to lock in its final plans to launch the season in Las Vegas and is restructuring following several resignations. Players are still waiting on interviews to secure visas for the US and this week secured a training ground in Las Vegas. The double-header event will take place on March 2.

The ARLC is also preparing to ask NRL clubs and the two state leagues to vote to increase the maximum aggregate remuneration for its directors by $450,000.

The ARLC comprises Mr V’landys, Peter Beattie, Wayne Pearce, Megan Davis, Kate Jones, Gary Weiss, Tony McGrath and Alan Sullivan.

The Sydney Morning Herald revealed last week the ARLC wants approval to increase the remuneration threshold cap from $750,000 among its eight directors to $1.2 million.

It needs the majority of votes to pass the resolution at a meeting on February 21. All 17 NRL clubs get a vote, as do the Queensland Rugby League and NSWRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It was the piss money pokies comment I was referring to, just trying to clarify that not everyone goes to a club for the pokies.
What you are referring to is very correct.
ah that old cheep feed argument, go look at the financials and what % of revenue is generated from gambling compared to anything else. For most LC's it sits at 80-90% of revenue. They exist to take money from poor saps sat at pokies.

Perth Red

Post Whore

A heated funding dispute between the NRL and two state organisations is set to escalate dramatically, with major stakeholders in NSW and Queensland preparing to sue the governing body over how much money their key competitions should receive.

The Queensland Rugby League and the New South Wales Rugby League have been at loggerheads with Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’landys and NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo for more than 18 months over how much money they should receive to fund state-based programs and competitions, including junior and women’s leagues.

Retrospective cuts to last year’s funding and a lack of clarity over how much money they will receive in 2024 have escalated tensions. Rugby league sources, who requested anonymity to speak freely, said the state leagues are preparing to file legal proceedings. Documents are expected to be filed in the NSW Supreme Court within weeks.

The Queensland Rugby League and NSWRL declined to comment. The NRL also declined to comment.

Queensland Rugby League and the NSWRL run state-based teams, the Queensland Maroons and the NSW Blues, which compete each year in the State of Origin.

The state leagues want a portion of about $400 million in funding that has been put aside by the Australian Rugby League Commission for investment in pathway programs and participation.

States are meant to have funding approved by September 30 to kick off the rugby league’s financial year on November 1. The state leagues only received final budget approval from the ARLC for 2023 with two months remaining in the financial year, at a level well below the states’ funding request.

A decision on funding for 2024 has not yet been finalised and is now more than three months overdue, despite the fact some state-based competitions have already started. Rugby league sources said the court action will allow the state leagues to work out the best to way determine future funding and allocation.

Rugby league sources claim that uncertainty around funding could lead to community rugby league programs being abandoned or young players having to pay greater fees to offset rising costs.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph this week, ARLC chairman Peter V’landys said the NRL wanted to get back to investing in country rugby league, but he signalled he wanted to invest directly with local clubs rather than the state leagues.

“The NSWRL and QRL run the competitions, but they don’t fund the clubs,” he said. “I want to change that. Even money for registrations, insurance, footballs and jumpers.”

This isn’t the first time the state leagues have engaged lawyers. In 2022, the NSWRL took the NRL to the NSW Supreme Court over a dispute that started when Cronulla chief executive Dino Mezzatesta was told he was ineligible to run for the NSWRL board because, as a paid employee of the club, he had a conflict of interest.

The decision prompted Sydney Roosters boss Nick Politis and official doctor George Peponis to resign from the board and led Mr V’landys to intervene on behalf of the Sydney clubs.

Mr V’landys launched an investigation, which he said found the NSWRL board elections should be run again. The ARLC warned the NSW state union it would withhold funding until there was a fresh election and threatened to remove the right of the NSWRL to compete in the State of Origin, prompting the league to launch legal action.

The NSWRL kept the right to compete in the State of Origin and for the election to stand, but chief executive David Trodden has since said publicly that the amount of money received from the ARLC since the court action is much smaller. The initial court decision ruled the ARLC had not breached the services agreement by refusing to provide further funding.

Mr V’landys described the legal action as a “gross waste of money” and both parties claimed a win.

Another round of litigation could not come at a worse time for the NRL, which is trying to lock in its final plans to launch the season in Las Vegas and is restructuring following several resignations. Players are still waiting on interviews to secure visas for the US and this week secured a training ground in Las Vegas. The double-header event will take place on March 2.

The ARLC is also preparing to ask NRL clubs and the two state leagues to vote to increase the maximum aggregate remuneration for its directors by $450,000.

The ARLC comprises Mr V’landys, Peter Beattie, Wayne Pearce, Megan Davis, Kate Jones, Gary Weiss, Tony McGrath and Alan Sullivan.

The Sydney Morning Herald revealed last week the ARLC wants approval to increase the remuneration threshold cap from $750,000 among its eight directors to $1.2 million.

It needs the majority of votes to pass the resolution at a meeting on February 21. All 17 NRL clubs get a vote, as do the Queensland Rugby League and NSWRL.

wow, its not like this current administration to be in conflict with the games stakeholders!

ah that old cheep feed argument, go look at the financials and what % of revenue is generated from gambling compared to anything else. For most LC's it sits at 80-90% of revenue. They exist to take money from poor saps sat at pokies.
No, I was talking of membership numbers and why they are high because of rules of living proximity.

I never mentioned "cheap" feeds, in fact none of them that I frequent are cheap to eat at.
Again I ask you to stop playing children's games, is it really that hard for you to not twist things?

Iamback

Coach
No, I was talking of membership numbers and why they are high because of rules of living proximity.

I never mentioned "cheap" feeds, in fact none of them that I frequent are cheap to eat at.
Again I ask you to stop playing children's games, is it really that hard for you to not twist things?

Certain clubs now have things like Child play centres inside them... but he will still pedal the pokie den lie to down play the game

Iamback

Coach

Given the State bodies are stakeholders in the ARLC, There would be reasons for the holdup... lets sue instead of sorting them out.

Certain clubs now have things like Child play centres inside them... but he will still pedal the pokie den lie to down play the game
I didn't even mention that I work at a club, yes we do have both pokies and a child play centre.
The biggest influx of cash? Food and drink, but hey I was talking of memberships and why they can be high.
Then again what would I know....

Iamback

Coach
I didn't even mention that I work at a club, yes we do have both pokies and a child play centre.
The biggest influx of cash? Food and drink, but hey I was talking of memberships and why they can be high.
Then again what would I know....

I have mates in the Industry too. They have Origin or UFC or something on and you can't get near a TV and the bar lines are huge.

As such gaming areas are turning into sports bars

No one has cash for a coffee, Let alone pokies these days

I have mates in the Industry too. They have Origin or UFC or something on and you can't get near a TV and the bar lines are huge.

As such gaming areas are turning into sports bars

No one has cash for a coffee, Let alone pokies these days
Our pokies room can be dead as.
The most common type of people who play them? very dodgy characters looking to offload cash to gain