What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Maximus

Coach
States are meant to have funding approved by September 30 to kick off the rugby league’s financial year on November 1. The state leagues only received final budget approval from the ARLC for 2023 with two months remaining in the financial year, at a level well below the states’ funding request.

A decision on funding for 2024 has not yet been finalised and is now more than three months overdue, despite the fact some state-based competitions have already started. Rugby league sources said the court action will allow the state leagues to work out the best to way determine future funding and allocation.

Rugby league sources claim that uncertainty around funding could lead to community rugby league programs being abandoned or young players having to pay greater fees to offset rising costs.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph this week, ARLC chairman Peter V’landys said the NRL wanted to get back to investing in country rugby league, but he signalled he wanted to invest directly with local clubs rather than the state leagues.

“The NSWRL and QRL run the competitions, but they don’t fund the clubs,” he said. “I want to change that. Even money for registrations, insurance, footballs and jumpers.”

So does he want to change it so that the NSWRL and QRL do fund the clubs, but not give them the funding to do so, or does he want to change it so the NRL run the local comps instead?

Also, what is the NRL doing when they don't finalise funding until 10 months after the year has started, and 3 months into the next they once again haven't.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But the NRL is in the wrong?
If funding has been reduced and they havent met the agreed funding agreement timelines, then yes in all likelihood.

Moving forward if the grassroots is better managed by the NRL rather than state based organsaitions is highly debatable. Our experience in the West is no. Centralisation often leads to efficiency but loss of local knowledge of whats needed.

I do think there are some things the ARLC could do nationally that would really help grassroots viability of small clubs and create efficiency due to scale. Club facility grants, national club insurance, national kit supplier deal, supplying equipment to clubs etc

NRL's been pushing this way for some time, starting in 2013 with the bringing in of the 'affiliated' states under NRl control, then bringing in the DO program from State control to NRLHQ.
I expect a massive bun fight and QRL and NSWRTL to fight tooth and nail to maintain independence.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wonder how long until the QRL calls a veto on a ARLC decision like pay rises
Well the snouts in the trough want more ($100k each for being a director? Please). And the NRl needs them to ok expansion with 18th club. They also could have Vlandys removed if they can get some clubs onside. He's probably secured club favour with the massive grant increase though.

Iamback

Coach
If funding has been reduced and they havent met the agreed funding agreement timelines, then yes in all likelihood.

Moving forward if the grassroots is better managed by the NRL rather than state based organsaitions is highly debatable. Our experience in the West is no. Centralisation often leads to efficiency but loss of local knowledge of whats needed.

I do think there are some things the ARLC could do nationally that would really help grassroots viability of small clubs and create efficiency due to scale. Club facility grants, national club insurance, national kit supplier deal, supplying equipment to clubs etc

NRL's been pushing this way for some time, starting in 2013 with the bringing in of the 'affiliated' states under NRl control, then bringing in the DO program from State control to NRLHQ.
I expect a massive bun fight and QRL and NSWRTL to fight tooth and nail to maintain independence.

there were a few QRL leaks end of last year.

They said no to a Titans and Cowboys side because the NRL wouldn't up the funding.

Why wouldn't the NRL just directly fund them instead of giving the money to someone else to fund them?

So in some cases it makes sense, without seeing the actual plan from NRL it is hard to say either way.

The money is there is the main thing

Wb1234

Referee
The nswrl and qrl are dinosaurs holding the game back to protect their own petty interests

their abolition would save tens of millions in admin costs which the nrl can absorb

Last time I checked the nswrl had a large cash balance too yet is crying poor

they are standing in the way of national reserve grade

Perth Red

Post Whore
there were a few QRL leaks end of last year.

They said no to a Titans and Cowboys side because the NRL wouldn't up the funding.

Why wouldn't the NRL just directly fund them instead of giving the money to someone else to fund them?

So in some cases it makes sense, without seeing the actual plan from NRL it is hard to say either way.

The money is there is the main thing
and to funding for Toowomba.

Its an ongoing powerplay, NRL trying to wrestle control from the last two independent state bodies. I suspect the NRL has long term plans to reintroduce a proper reserve grade and possibly the U20's NRL comp again. It'd be much easier to do that without the QRL and NSWRL in the way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The nswrl and qrl are dinosaurs holding the game back to protect their own petty interests
In what ways, specifically?

2022 NSWRL had less than $10mill in the bank. Their revenue and asset base is tiny compared to some other sports state bodies.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
without the QRL and NSWRL in the way.
Agree but the ARLC has a consitition that has the NSWRL and the QRL as keeping the ARLC honest via veto powers

Until that is removed they will always be there

Just like the old CRL was always there under the NSWRL

Wb1234

Referee
In what ways, specifically?

2022 NSWRL had less than $10mill in the bank. Their revenue and asset base is tiny compared to some other sports state bodies.
1. Qrl didn’t want the dolphins In the nrl

2. Nswrl and qrl are opposed to national reserve grade purely down to they want to retain their power base

3. nswrl and it’s trivial court case with the arlc

the whole idea of the commission was for the qrl and nswrl to be disbanded

we are doubling up on resources which is a waste

the nswrl and qrl have done their jobs it’s time to delegate them to history

Maximus

Coach
In theory the Clubs should do it better,

Who better to decide where Cairns needs the money then Northern Pride over a pencil pusher in Brisbane.

So it makes sense, How it is administrated is key though.

Who better to decide where Cairns needs the money, someone in Brisbane or someone in Sydney like your mate here wants?

1. Qrl didn’t want the dolphins In the nrl

2. Nswrl and qrl are opposed to national reserve grade purely down to they want to retain their power base

3. nswrl and it’s trivial court case with the arlc

the whole idea of the commission was for the qrl and nswrl to be disbanded

we are doubling up on resources which is a waste

the nswrl and qrl have done their jobs it’s time to delegate them to history

Iamback

Coach
and to funding for Toowomba.

Its an ongoing powerplay, NRL trying to wrestle control from the last two independent state bodies. I suspect the NRL has long term plans to reintroduce a proper reserve grade and possibly the U20's NRL comp again. It'd be much easier to do that without the QRL and NSWRL in the way.

Those 2 things wouldn't be a bad thing, It is just how it administers the funding to the relevant country organisations that is the issue.

Iamback

Coach
Who better to decide where Cairns needs the money, someone in Brisbane or someone in Sydney like your mate here wants?

The interview the other day said about directly paying those clubs in the bush.

If that is the case wouldn't the clubs apply as opposed to the NRL handing it out?

It wouldn't be that hard to do as a kid is registered in the system the NRL covers their insurance or something.

I took it to read like that.

Take the Cowboys and Titans Reserve grade sides.

NRL pays QRL for the teams in that competition

QRL then pays the teams

Meanwhile NRL gives clubs their grants,

Having the NRL pay Cowboys and extra $300k for example. Then having them spend it how they feel they need to IS different then head office deciding how they spend it.

The result is the same, You cut out another layer of admin. The flip side is QRL gets less money but the same things happen locally with that money

Maximus

Coach
The interview the other day said about directly paying those clubs in the bush.

If that is the case wouldn't the clubs apply as opposed to the NRL handing it out?

It wouldn't be that hard to do as a kid is registered in the system the NRL covers their insurance or something.

I took it to read like that.

Take the Cowboys and Titans Reserve grade sides.

NRL pays QRL for the teams in that competition

QRL then pays the teams

Meanwhile NRL gives clubs their grants,

Having the NRL pay Cowboys and extra $300k for example. Then having them spend it how they feel they need to IS different then head office deciding how they spend it.

The result is the same, You cut out another layer of admin. The flip side is QRL gets less money but the same things happen locally with that money

So like I said earlier, you don't want some pencil pusher in Brisbane, but you do want some pencil pusher in Sydney who has 2 states to not know anything about instead of 1. Your argument contradicts itself purely because you feel the need to support any NRL decision no matter what.

Iamback

Coach
So like I said earlier, you don't want some pencil pusher in Brisbane, but you do want some pencil pusher in Sydney who has 2 states to not know anything about instead of 1. Your argument contradicts itself purely because you feel the need to support any NRL decision no matter what.

Where have I said the NRL is right?

What I said was it makes sense for NRL to directly fund the clubs, How that is done is key as to whether it is a good idea or not

We have NRL clubs funding the development officers instead of the NRL, For the reasons I said I like that arrangement.

Areas where there are no NRL teams is the problem as I see it

Maximus

Coach
Where have I said the NRL is right?

Every post defending them.

What I said was it makes sense for NRL to directly fund the clubs, How that is done is key as to whether it is a good idea or not

We have NRL clubs funding the development officers instead of the NRL, For the reasons I said I like that arrangement.

Areas where there are no NRL teams is the problem as I see it

You said that someone in Brisbane shouldn't be making decisions for funding in Cairns, and the proceeded to say someone in Sydney should.

The NRL can't even determine funding for 2 bodies until 10 months into the financial year. Imagine what they will be like with thousands of teams.