What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Maximus

Coach
Why are you automatically assuming the NRL are wrong

What do you think is going to happen to junior rugby league clubs around the country when their funding and comps are managed by some junior staff member at NRL HQ?

Their inability to make decisions on levels of funding for the state bodies shows that they have no idea what they are doing.

Iamback

Coach
Every post defending them.

You said that someone in Brisbane shouldn't be making decisions for funding in Cairns, and the proceeded to say someone in Sydney should.

The NRL can't even determine funding for 2 bodies until 10 months into the financial year. Imagine what they will be like with thousands of teams.

f**k you are slow. I haven't said Sydney should make the decision.

I will slow it down for you.

I attached what cricket does, The club applies for the funding directly.

Also players when registered go into a database, The NRL could then reimburse the clubs to cover that players fees. There are many ways that other sports do it

Instead of NRL giving a set amount to the state bodies them paying insurance directly cuts out a step. No where has someone in Sydney made a decision as to where the funding should go they are paying the bills.

Something along the lines of that is good and allows clubs at a local level to do what they have to do.

As for State Board funding that isn't entirely on the NRL.

Take QRL, They leaked the email from Abdo saying they didn't approve Toowoomba ( for some reason ) and wouldn't be funding them.

Yet they are in the QCup again this year, They also don't have an under 21 comp now. They look to be doing what they want and expecting funding to match.

NSWRL took NRL to court. Court ruled NRL didn't have to fund them as high as they did and funding was cut.

As PR said it seems like a power struggle over 1 side in particular being wrong or right

Attachments

• IMG_2510.png
    IMG_2510.png
    270.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Those 2 things wouldn't be a bad thing, It is just how it administers the funding to the relevant country organisations that is the issue.
Depends of you think RL should exist for more than just the benefit of the nrl Competition. There’s something to be said for strong and vibrant second and even third tiers in sport.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What do you think is going to happen to junior rugby league clubs around the country when their funding and comps are managed by some junior staff member at NRL HQ?

Their inability to make decisions on levels of funding for the state bodies shows that they have no idea what they are doing.
I can tell you as we’ve seen first hand the impact of centralisation on the game in WA. And it’s not been positive .

Iamback

Coach
I can tell you as we’ve seen first hand the impact of centralisation on the game in WA. And it’s not been positive .

How much of the grant is wasted on Admin? Particularly in the vast area?

IF they adopt the cricket way of doing it, The WARL clubs apply directly for funding.

They would then be approved for what the amount is, Cricket's it depends on the size but anywhere from $6-13k.

Something like with the players getting some cost reimbursed is a big win for those clubs, again it depends on the setup BUT potentially is much system

Iamback

Coach
Depends of you think RL should exist for more than just the benefit of the nrl Competition. There’s something to be said for strong and vibrant second and even third tiers in sport.

After the Headlines this week do you really think the Bears will go away quietly?

The QCup teams won't, So you would still have those comps existing in such a form.

Canard

Immortal
How much of the grant is wasted on Admin?
This isn't saving admin, it's adding admin.

Unless you think the NRL can suddenly run all levels of footy with no increase in personnel and cost. The NRL have no history or expertise in running this level of competition.

Centralising all footy admin out of Sydney is a f**king horrible idea.

NSW and QLD are the only regions in the world where Rugby League is the No1 sport, and without them, the game is nothing.

Maximus

Coach
f**k you are slow. I haven't said Sydney should make the decision.

I will slow it down for you.

I attached what cricket does, The club applies for the funding directly.

Also players when registered go into a database, The NRL could then reimburse the clubs to cover that players fees. There are many ways that other sports do it

Instead of NRL giving a set amount to the state bodies them paying insurance directly cuts out a step. No where has someone in Sydney made a decision as to where the funding should go they are paying the bills.

Something along the lines of that is good and allows clubs at a local level to do what they have to do.

If a club applies to the NRL for funding, someone has to make a decision to grant it. They aren't just going to automatically pay out money to everyone that requests with no oversight.

If that someone who makes the decision is going to be employed by the NRL, where do you think they will be located?

You call me slow, and then go and provide my argument for me.

Unless you think the NRL can suddenly run all levels of footy with no increase in personnel and cost. The NRL have no history or expertise in running this level of competition.

NSW and QLD are the only regions in the world where Rugby League is the No1 sport, and without them, the game is nothing.
It's number 1 in PNG as well.

Iamback

Coach

How is it adding Admin? Someone or several people currently are acting as the go between at the relevant State boards.

Say NSWRL and QRL get $40m in funding from NRL. They are taking their costs before it trickles down.

If you can take out some of that cost it means more gets to the grass roots level.

They will still be needed to run the competitions etc. just streamline the funding

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh it’s worked brilliantly in England hasnt it
Arguably yes, that there is two semi pro comps under Sl and that there are a number of expansion areas in those comps, and that some of those clubs have been around for over a hundred years would suggest its working quite well. Sure they moan about not getting enough central funding and not having chance to get in Sl (sound familiar?) but having a second and third national tier comp is pretty good over there. Keeps small RL communities that will likely never be SL strength, clubs and players connected to the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How is it adding Admin? Someone or several people currently are acting as the go between at the relevant State boards.

Say NSWRL and QRL get $40m in funding from NRL. They are taking their costs before it trickles down.

If you can take out some of that cost it means more gets to the grass roots level.

They will still be needed to run the competitions etc. just streamline the funding
lol its about control, not saving admin costs.

Wb1234

Referee
Arguably yes, that there is two semi pro comps under Sl and that there are a number of expansion areas in those comps, and that some of those clubs have been around for over a hundred years would suggest its working quite well. Sure they moan about not getting enough central funding and not having chance to get in Sl (sound familiar?) but having a second and third national tier comp is pretty good over there. Keeps small RL communities that will likely never be SL strength, clubs and players connected to the game.
At the cost of a weak top level

Perth Red

Post Whore
And the arlc should be controlling the game
they struggle to control the bits they are responsible for now, adding more in the games two most fertle grassroots fields may not be the best idea.
Why you think NRLHQ in Sydney can do a better job of managing and growing grassroots RL than grassroots state based people I'd like to hear?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Take England where money is limited

if all the money has gone to super league clubs they would be in a stronger position

splitting up an already small money pool isn’t working
the other two divisions get a very small % of the overall revenue. 2million pound across 23 clubs. There are 7 expansion area clubs across the two leagues.
Giving 12 Sl clubs an extra 166k each wont make any difference to them. Are you really suggesting closing down 23 clubs across the UK to do that would be a good thing?

Latest posts