What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

MugaB

Coach
So after 336 pages of discussion and over 6500 posts it would appear Peter has done some things exceptionally well, some very well and others could have been done better. Deep!
Wery wery deep... seems he can't catch a break from the usual karens on this forum tho

Colk

First Grade
So after 336 pages of discussion and over 6500 posts it would appear Peter has done some things exceptionally well, some very well and others could have been done better. Deep!

Yeah the truth like in most cases is somewhere in the middle. He is not a genius (probably the most incorrectly used term in the English language imo) nor he is the devil incarnate or a totally incompetent boob.

He has some good strengths and he has some weaknesses

MugaB

Coach
Yeah the truth like in most cases is somewhere in the middle. He is not a genius (probably the most incorrectly used term in the English language imo) nor he is the devil incarnate or a totally incompetent boob.

A Boob is very spot on... boobish

Iamback

Coach

I like to look like at the results not so much how it got there.

There was and is still some dinosaurs in the game that will take offence to change, That causes friction and doesn't always look good for PVL or the game

Maximus

Coach
It’s a shame pvl isn’t a regular on here

imagine what he could learn from such rugby league luminaires as Perth red and maxipad

Or political heavyweights like yourself who thinks that if govt funding is promised, it's permanent.

Heads are going to explode.

PVL’S FUTURE PLANS REVEALED​

ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys isn’t going anywhere. Sports Confidential can reveal that V’landys will be returned as chair and appointed for a further three years as an ARL Commissioner at their annual general meeting on February 21.
V’landys has been one of the key drivers behind rugby league’s soaring revenues and his retention shapes as a huge coup for the code as they prepare to launch their incursion into America with a double header in Las Vegas.
It is understood that Megan Davis, one of the key figures behind the Yes campaign and an influential voice when it comes to rugby league’s indigenous community, will also be reappointed for a further three years at the AGM.
V’landys was appointed to the commission in 2019 and elevated to chair later that year. By the end of his fresh term he will be on the verge of chalking up a decade on the commission.
Along with chief executive Andrew Abdo, he has transformed the NRL into a business that is verging on revenues of $700 million a year with growing profits and a portfolio of investments designed to future-proof the code.

Sport Confidential: The Rock’s surprise role in NRL Vegas push
No surprise as PVL will want the comp to expand to 20 teams and do another TV deal before he gives it up.

Also, even for the staunch PVL haters, NRL is better with the devil they know. Even if he was replaced, you want to replace him with someone better and that would be a struggle

Colk

First Grade
I like to look like at the results not so much how it got there.

There was and is still some dinosaurs in the game that will take offence to change, That causes friction and doesn't always look good for PVL or the game

I agree with that generally. There has been some pretty incompetent people in prominent places over the years.

Regarding the whole funding thing and the wider somewhat contiguous matter of decentralisation or centralisation of power, I’d probably err on the former. Whilst I agree with removing duplication of costs on certain things, you also want to avoid a structure where too much power in invested in one man or one group of men.

It’s not altogether a matter of cynicism (because I am not worried about despotism here) it is more a matter of realising that one person can’t be in charge of everything because it leads to inefficiencies. Also, it is less damaging and easier to remove incompetencies and inefficiencies at the bottom than having it from the top

Iamback

Coach
I agree with that generally. There has been some pretty incompetent people in prominent places over the years.

Regarding the whole funding thing and the wider somewhat contiguous matter of decentralisation or centralisation of power, I’d probably err on the former. Whilst I agree with removing duplication of costs on certain things, you also want to avoid a structure where too much power in invested in one man or one group of men.

It’s not altogether a matter of cynicism (because I am not worried about despotism here) it is more a matter of realising that one person can’t be in charge of everything because it leads to inefficiencies. Also, it is less damaging and easier to remove incompetencies and inefficiencies at the bottom than having it from the top

It is a fine line,

3 years ago my daughters school had someone from Penrith, NRL and NSWRL run a junior program across the year - No reason Penrith can't do that.

NSWRL pays the NRL clubs a grant to play in the relevant comps - No reason the NRL can't do that directly.

That is 2 areas of duplication that could be streamlined.

Where there is no NRL clubs becomes more difficult and why I want to see the model used.

The_Wookie

Bench
Hes been fine and the aggressive leader that the NRL has needed for decades.

- successful expansion
- big lifts in revenue and assets
- excellent tv and streaming ratings
- record attendances and memberships
- reasoning for not supplying more funding to the QRL and NSWRL is sound ("money not flowing past the state comp to lower divisions"). State bodies always going to resist change - the SANFL and WAFC do the same with the AFL.

- The Stadium deal. Handshakes and "taking the mans word" is old school, but just not something you can take to the bank. THAT said. Allianz and Commbank are done, Penrith is still being delivered, and COE funding to most clubs has or is being delivered. Its not really a win, but not really a loss either.

The only real issues I can find are

- the TV deal - his reasons for it being what it is are rubbish and there was no no need to do such a deal for an extended length. We know this is true, because its what the AFL did.
- trying to overturn the elections of the NSWRL.
- leaving the CBA negotiations in Abdos hands for far too long.

Vlad59

Bench

- successful expansion
- reasoning for not supplying more funding to the QRL and NSWRL is sound ("money not flowing past the state comp to lower divisions"). State bodies always going to resist change - the SANFL and WAFC do the same with the AFL.

- The Stadium deal. Handshakes and "taking the mans word" is old school, but just not something you can take to the bank. THAT said. Allianz and Commbank are done, Penrith is still being delivered, and COE funding to most clubs has or is being delivered. Its not really a win, but not really a loss either.

- the TV deal - his reasons for it being what it is are rubbish and there was no no need to do such a deal for an extended length. We know this is true, because its what the AFL did.
A succinct and excellent summary.

Iamback

Coach

- successful expansion

Good summary.

on your issues. AFL and NRL were after different things, Dolphins we don't get without TV locked in.

Goes to your top point but revenue is growing even if a bit possibly was left on the table

NSWRL election he probably shouldn't of gotten involved but 11/12 NSW Clubs wanted new elections.

So i guess you need to do their bidding in those cases. It is a case of damned either way as the clubs are stake holders

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s a shame pvl isn’t a regular on here

imagine what he could learn from such rugby league luminaires as Perth red and maxipad
Im always available for the commission, a $100k a year for a dozen meetings or so and a jolly to Vegas will do me!

Latest posts