What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

No not tongue in cheek. He has gone on relentlessly about the evils of gambling then seems ok with paying off women for sex. If the first one is immoral (i.e. on the basis that gambling destroys people and societies etc) then prostitution definitely is by his own standards.
Cash Converters provide high interest loans to drug addicts desperate for a fix, yet he doesn't have a problem with Peter Cumins fronting the Perth bid.

Colk

First Grade
Cash Converters provide high interest loans to drug addicts desperate for a fix, yet he doesn't have a problem with Peter Cumins fronting the Perth bid.

Yeah pawnbroking causes problems to people as well. Most things in life are grey except really indefensible and truly abhorrent things (look at history for those things) so there is no real reason to think of most things in a black and white way.

Yeah pawnbroking causes problems to people as well. Most things in life are grey except really indefensible and truly abhorrent things (look at history for those things) so there is no real reason to think of most things in a black and white way.
He also bangs on about WA’s wealth but conveniently ignores it’s largely off the back of BHP or Rio Tinto exploiting aboriginal land and blowing up sacred sites.

Colk

First Grade
He also bangs on about WA’s wealth but conveniently ignores it’s off the back of BHP or Rio Tinto exploiting aboriginal land and blowing up sacred sites.

Yep. As I said before you can find some unethical or immoral behaviour in any kind of walk of life.

I would hope that most people would look at things with some sort of balance. For something like this, mining has provided economic benefits but then there has been massive concessions or compromises for the sake of that benefit (environmental degradation and destruction of cultural land etc) It is not a black and white thing.

Same with his gambling thing. Sure gambling has been a negative and destructive thing for a part of the population, but you can say the same or worse for other vices (alcohol immediately springs to mind) but in saying that most of the populace can engage in that vice without it destroying their life or their families life.

Shutting down Cash Converters and pokies won't stop addicts from getting their fix. Some people cannot be helped.

Colk

First Grade
Shutting down Cash Converters and pokies won't stop addicts from getting their fix. Some people cannot be helped.

You’re generally right. You obviously have to have laws for certain things but trying to criminalise something like gambling would just drive it underground and introduce more criminality. Look at prohibition of alcohol for evidence

You’re generally right. You obviously have to have laws for certain things but trying to criminalise something like gambling would just drive it underground and introduce more criminality. Look at prohibition of alcohol for evidence

Gambling addicts in Perth can play the pokies online.

Colk

First Grade
Gambling addicts in Perth can play the pokies online.

Exactly. Even if you wanted to criminalise or ban something like gambling (I’d rather err on the side of regulation on most things than simply ban them anyway) it would be nigh impossible to do so and the costs would outweigh any benefit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You would be a bit daft to think that prostitution is completely legitimate i.e. that there is no sex trafficking going on or that there aren’t women who are physically coerced.

Do you think then if that is the case and there is evidence to support that occurring, that kind of fits the parameters of destroying people and their families.

By the way, as a disclosure I’m not against either. I just think you shouldn’t get on your moral high horse.
And therefroe the problem is not in prostitution per se but other illegal and nefarious elements around it. Again not a oral judgement, a legal one. And if rugby league was built on those nefarious elements I’d feel the same.
but we are way off the Vlandys track now lol

Colk

First Grade
And therefroe the problem is not in prostitution per se but other illegal and nefarious elements around it. Again not a oral judgement, a legal one. And if rugby league was built on those nefarious elements I’d feel the same.
but we are way off the Vlandys track now lol

Engaging in gambling, like prostitution, is a decision that you or I or anybody else can choose to do. The moral equation is something you have introduced for gambling and frankly I can easily make just as strong a moral argument against prostitution as you can on gambling.

Firstly there is a thing called sexual addiction same as there is with alcohol, drugs or gambling. If you want to argue that because people are addicted and it causes a negative effect ipso facto it is morally corruptible then you have to make the argument that all vices are the same. You can’t pick and choose.

Secondly, if you think a married person or partner (i.e. the family unit) would be anymore ok with their other half paying a prostitute for sex as opposed to gambling too much, then you might want to be less naive. Thirdly, even if the explotiation and trafficking of women and children were legal, would they be moral? You seem to want to make that argument on legal grounds, make it on moral grounds. I would make the argument that the trafficking, exploitation and abuse of women is far more a moral injustice than gambling addiction.

Wb1234

Referee
no time for pokies with all those

la
Engaging in gambling, like prostitution, is a decision that you or I or anybody else can choose to do. The moral equation is something you have introduced for gambling and frankly I can easily make just as strong a moral argument against prostitution as you can on gambling.

Firstly there is a thing called sexual addiction same as there is with alcohol, drugs or gambling. If you want to argue that because people are addicted and it causes a negative effect ipso facto it is morally corruptible then you have to make the argument that all vices are the same. You can’t pick and choose.

Secondly, if you think a married person or partner (i.e. the family unit) would be anymore ok with their other half paying a prostitute for sex as opposed to gambling too much, then you might want to be less naive. Thirdly, even if the explotiation and trafficking of women and children were legal, would they be moral? You seem to want to make that argument on legal grounds, make it on moral grounds. I would make the argument that the trafficking, exploitation and abuse of women is far more a moral injustice than gambling addiction.
my mate owned a broth

he said most workers have been molested as children

mostly it’s an industry preying on the exploited

Latest posts