What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

t-ba

Post Whore
Canberra wasn't a rugby league city to the same degree as Brisbane and Sydney. Fumbleball and rugby union were strongly supported in the region.

In the city sure, in the region no. Canberra's got a large transient population. Civil Servants from the South follow Australian football and historically civil servants from the Northern states would have gone through schooling where Union was the premier sport. Places like Quaenbeyan and Goulburn are solidly league country and have been since any of us have been alive. Somewhere around Wagga is the traditional dividing line but in the 1980s even a dude like Wayne Carey played more league than AFL there.

It's not a like for like comparison. You're comparing a team that played in a small NSW town because Arthurson and Quayle gave the Broncos exclusivity over SEQ. Tweed Heads is on the far outskirts of the Gold Coast metropolitan area.

North Sydney didn't play on the far outskirts of their region. If they played one suburb over in Sea Eagles territory then you might have a valid point.

Coollangatta is literally one suburb over from Tweed Heads dude.

You were going on about people from Coolangatta and Tweed Heads travelling across the border every day for work and to a lesser extent for leisure and dating. Reread what you said if you don't believe me.

Travelling every day for work counts as "people regularly travel between".

Yeah, they do. They also travel regularly between Tweed Heads and Burleigh, Some people *Gasp* even travel between their nice house and Kingscliff and the Southport Courthouse!

Bringing up Cooly and Tweed is just to point out how ridiculous the assertion that Tweed Heads is somehow not part of the Gold Coast area. It clearly is. It's bloody closer the more central parts of the city than say Penrith is to the centre of Sydney but only a weirdo would assert that that isn't part of Sydney.

The constant bringing up of Cooly is to show the assertion that the QLD GC and Tweed Heads are somehow these hugely different places is an insane notion.

No different to every other city. There were nine BRL clubs and their various fan bases had intense rivalries. Many of those rivalries still exist. Go to Kougari Oval for a Wynnum vs Easts or Wynnum vs Redcliffe game and see the tension between the two groups of supporters.

Well it is, because the national competition emerged out of that city, like Melbourne did for the AFL.
Yeah, and they lost currency to the Sydney Clubs because of $$$$. At the end of the day, like Perth and Adelaide in the AFL, the local state league clubs lost ground to the big money league.

I've been to a bunch of QRL games mate. I lived in Queensland, I'm a Souths Fan. Like no offence to Brisbane, but outside of Redcliffe no club has a distinct regional identity like Cronulla, Saints, Manly or Norths had.

That's just how the geography and history of the places work.

I mean, look at Valleys and Brothers. What exactly is the difference between those two geographically? Where exactly is the cut off the between Easts and Souths territory in Brisbane? Can any club besides Redcliffe point to a cut off point as distinctive as the Lane Cover River/Sydney Harbour/Middle Harbour, The Georges River or the Spit?

District Rugby League in Brisbane was nothing remotely like District Rugby League in Sydney either.

I used to go into the Queensland State Library to research the history of the Scorpions. I had a quick look at the TV guide that was in the Courier-Mail pre-1988. Broadcast times for the NSWRL weren't that great. There was more BRL/Statewide League broadcast on TV and at better viewing times.

The BRL grand final was always a sell out. The 6pm news focused on the BRL. There's video clips on YouTube on a channel called bashuppark that confirms this.

In 1987 it definitely wasn't.

31 minutes in, guessing around 25k which was 'very good considering the activity going on in Brisbane. Watch the video, can see the gaps.

Origin drew 33k twice that year.

Through the years, by the mid 1980s, Grand Final attendances were consistently under 30k.

It's unfair to compare from 1988 because of the Broncos, but those crowds were definitely falling for Grand Finals. Certainly not 'selling out every year' which is a preposterous claim in the face of reality.

It's the same thing. And you couldn't find several out of Sydney clubs to support your argument, could you?

Several and a ton of are not the same thing. This is basic reading comprehension mate.

But okay. 'several' is a small number higher than two.

'A ton of' is an idiom describing a large amount of something.

These are very different terms.

You said Bears beat Warriors in 1998, which means Warriors beat Bears in 95, 96, 97 and 99.

Cowboys always beat the Bears.

Broncos always beat the Bears.

Raiders beat the Bears 6 times out of 10.

Rams beat the Bears in 1997.

Reds beat the Bears in 95.

Fans turned away from Rams and Reds when it was evident they had no future.

Knights always beat the Bears.

Crushers beat the Bears in 95 and 96. Fans turned off in 97 as they knew the club was cooked.

The only clubs Bears regularly beat were the Giants/Seagulls/Chargers and Steelers. That's not several. That's just a couple.

So they always had better attendances than the Seagulls, better attendances than the Steelers and regularly had better attendances than a combination of the Crushers/Raiders/Warriors/Rams and Reds.

That's several mate.

And 'a ton' and several are not remotely synonyms lol. Please English Better.

The Sharks at Kareela now cover the financial reports of the North Queensland Cowboys?

Wow!

Last edited:

t-ba

Post Whore
Wtf has any of this to do with pistol Pete?

Hey mate can I recommend the NBA Subreddit for all Pete Maravich discussion?

From what I have seen of him in old footage, hell of a baller. With a long range shot he'd be an elite player in today's NBA.

Iamback

Coach
Yep

vlandys is laying the platform for the sport ten years from now

plus I really don’t think he’s stopping at 18 either

he will look to south west Brisbane down the track then it will be nz2 for a 20 team comp

Ipswich is an area where a team should be, Is Suncorp close enough to use as a home though

MugaB

Coach
I think Peter V'landys will jump before he's pushed.
It will be interesting to see who takes over from him
Nah... the dude is running the show, and clubs are all cutting costs...making money.. no BS..
Only issues are the outside noise and detractors and media clickbait propaganda selling stories to take down anything that is working or slightly new

t-ba

Post Whore
Pete's great. He's gonna do the greatest salt generation admission in the game's history!

Can't wait for the Bears to half arse Western Australia for a few years and then move back to NSO permanently.

The Future's bright, the future's black and red baby! 😎

Reflector

Juniors
It's not a like for like comparison. You're comparing a team that played in a small NSW town because Arthurson and Quayle gave the Broncos exclusivity over SEQ. Tweed Heads is on the far outskirts of the Gold Coast metropolitan area.

North Sydney didn't play on the far outskirts of their region. If they played one suburb over in Sea Eagles territory then you might have a valid point.
At the risk of sounding nit-picky, but Tweed Heads is literally one suburb- across Dixon/ Boundary St- from Coolangatta

North Sydney literally one suburb over (i.e, one suburb east) is Neutral Bay. One suburb north is Cammeray. One suburb south is Milsons Point. One suburb west is Waverton. All still part of North Sydney Council= all still Bears territory.

Here I was thinking you were basing your views off looking at a map of Sydney, but now I'm not even sure you're bothering to look at a map...

t-ba

Post Whore
At the risk of sounding nit-picky, but Tweed Heads is literally one suburb- across Dixon/ Boundary St- from Coolangatta

North Sydney literally one suburb over (i.e, one suburb east) is Neutral Bay. One suburb north is Cammeray. One suburb south is Milsons Point. One suburb west is Waverton. All still part of North Sydney Council= all still Bears territory.

Here I was thinking you were basing your views off looking at a map of Sydney, but now I'm not even sure you're bothering to look at a map...

It is well known that if a Queenslander crosses this street

main.jpg

or this street

6cf1c42e3440c3ebfa996a8c1c56e6b2_pl.jpg

to watch some footy they will LITERALLY DIE.

Canard

Immortal
The NSWRL (or Sydney League as it was referred to) had a match of the round shown on QLD television every Saturday and BRL on Sunday.

The coverage was virtually 50/50 and by the mid 80s it was basically bigger and more widely followed in QLD.

The Gold Coast Giants didn't draw crowds partly because in the 80s, the Gold Coast was an outer suburb of Melbourne, but mainly because they were total shit, rarely won and had one of the most no-name teams of all time.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
I've been to a bunch of QRL games mate. I lived in Queensland, I'm a Souths Fan. Like no offence to Brisbane, but outside of Redcliffe no club has a distinct regional identity like Cronulla, Saints, Manly or Norths had.

I mean, look at Valleys and Brothers. What exactly is the difference between those two geographically? Where exactly is the cut off the between Easts and Souths territory in Brisbane? Can any club besides Redcliffe point to a cut off point as distinctive as the Lane Cover River/Sydney Harbour/Middle Harbour, The Georges River or the Spit?

District Rugby League in Brisbane was nothing remotely like District Rugby League in Sydney either.
Ipswich definitely has a distinct regional identity, probably more so than Redcliffe.

Anyway, its why I find the whole "Moreton Bay" thing a crock, it has no regional identity. Someone literally just drew a magical line around a bunch of suburbs and called it Moreton Bay regional council, but absolutely no one in Albany Creek or Strathpine gives a f**k about Redcliffe.

Rod Coil

Juniors
In the city sure, in the region no. Canberra's got a large transient population. Civil Servants from the South follow Australian football and historically civil servants from the Northern states would have gone through schooling where Union was the premier sport. Places like Quaenbeyan and Goulburn are solidly league country and have been since any of us have been alive. Somewhere around Wagga is the traditional dividing line but in the 1980s even a dude like Wayne Carey played more league than AFL there.

Yeah, they do. They also travel regularly between Tweed Heads and Burleigh, Some people *Gasp* even travel between their nice house and Kingscliff and the Southport Courthouse!

Bringing up Cooly and Tweed is just to point out how ridiculous the assertion that Tweed Heads is somehow not part of the Gold Coast area. It clearly is. It's bloody closer the more central parts of the city than say Penrith is to the centre of Sydney but only a weirdo would assert that that isn't part of Sydney.

The constant bringing up of Cooly is to show the assertion that the QLD GC and Tweed Heads are somehow these hugely different places is an insane notion.

Well it is, because the national competition emerged out of that city, like Melbourne did for the AFL.
Yeah, and they lost currency to the Sydney Clubs because of $$$$. At the end of the day, like Perth and Adelaide in the AFL, the local state league clubs lost ground to the big money league.

In 1987 it definitely wasn't.

31 minutes in, guessing around 25k which was 'very good considering the activity going on in Brisbane. Watch the video, can see the gaps.

Origin drew 33k twice that year.

Through the years, by the mid 1980s, Grand Final attendances were consistently under 30k.

It's unfair to compare from 1988 because of the Broncos, but those crowds were definitely falling for Grand Finals. Certainly not 'selling out every year' which is a preposterous claim in the face of reality.

Several and a ton of are not the same thing. This is basic reading comprehension mate.

So they always had better attendances than the Seagulls, better attendances than the Steelers and regularly had better attendances than a combination of the Crushers/Raiders/Warriors/Rams and Reds.

That's several mate.

The Sharks at Kareela now cover the financial reports of the North Queensland Cowboys?

Wow!
Game. Set. Match.

Probably the best take down on this site that I’ve ever witnessed. Well done sir.

Other than writing something that's completely irrelevant to what you're responding to, is there a point to this?

I said Tweed Heads is on the far outskirts of the Gold Coast metropolitan area. I then pointed out that North Sydney Oval isn't on the outskirts of the region the Bears held.

Do you dispute any of this?

How did this simple point go over your head?

Or are you just being obtuse because you don't have a counterpoint?

Just admit that having the Gold Coast Tweed Seagulls based out of Tweed Heads would be like basing the Bears in a small suburb that's on the outskirts of the Bears' district.

The Gold Coast metropolitan area consists of Gold Coast City and Tweed Heads. Gold Coast City has about 600k people. Tweed Heads has less than 80k people. Putting a team in Tweed Heads and saying it represents everyone from Gold Coast City is like basing a team out of Redcliffe and claiming it represents everyone in Brisbane City, Ipswich, Logan and Redlands just because Moreton Bay is part of the Brisbane metropolitan area. Brisbane Roar fans were angry when the team moved to Dolphin Oval because it's out of reach for people from the southside.

So all Sydney clubs should play out of the SFS because they're from the same metropolis?

People travel from Penrith to Sydney CBD for work, so using your logic then there's no reason Penrith cannot draw 25k by playing out of the SFS!

Base all nine Sydney clubs out of the SFS and you'll have non-stop howling on here from fans of the eight clubs that aren't based within a 25km radius of the SFS.

Gold Coast City has an area of 1,334 km2. There's 69km between Stapylton in the north and Coolangatta in the south. It takes approximately 80 minutes to drive from one to the other. A more centralised suburb like Surfers Paradise is 26km from Coolangatta. So at least half of Gold Coast is too far away from Tweed Heads to draw fans.

How big is North Sydney Bears' district in square kilometres
and what percentage of their fans had to drive for 80 minutes to get to NSO?

Not really when residents of all 81 suburbs of Gold Coast City are governed by the Mayor of the Gold Coast and Premier of Queensland whereas the hillbillies from Tweed Heads are governed by the Mayor of Tweed Shire and Premier of NSW. For half the year the two cities are in a separate time zone. During the lock down people weren't allowed to cross the border.

Tweed has its own broadcast service area.

Do the people of Tweed Heads support Queensland or NSW in Origin?

The only reason the NSWRL was able to bankrupt the BRL clubs was because the NSW Gov legalised gaming machines in licenced venues in the 1950s. Queensland Gov didn’t legalise them until the 1990s. Since then some of the traditional BRL clubs have gone on to become very wealthy. Clubs like Easts Tigers, Wynnum Manly Seagulls and Redcliffe Dolphins are strong and their Leagues Clubs are bigger than Broncos Leagues. Redcliffe are already one of the richest clubs in the NRL.

The poorest NRL clubs are from Sydney. Clubs like Cronulla rely on the annual grant from the NRL to stay afloat as they only generate $4m per annum from sponsorship and take home little from gate receipts as their crowds are tiny.

I seriously doubt you've lived here for long if you don't think bayside suburbs like Wynnum don't have a "distinct regional identity".

A few years' ago people from Wynnum wanted to become their own city. Queensland Cup games at Kougari Oval are distinctly different to any other club in the competition.

Bayside suburbs like Wynnum share more in common with Redlands than the rest of Brisbane.

Easts cover the south-eastern suburbs of Brisbane and eastern suburbs of Logan, beginning in Bulimba and extending throughout the southeastern suburbs of Carina, Holland Park, Mt Gravatt, Upper Mt Gravatt, Macgregor, Eight Mile Plains and Rochedale in Brisbane, and continue travelling from Rochedale South and Springwood in Logan's north-east down to the Flagstone and Yarrabilba in the outer south on the Logan-Gold Coast border.

I never said they were sold out from 1988-onwards. The BRL lost all relevance when the Broncos entered the NSWRL.

Now you're just being semantic.

That's several mate.
Bullshit!

Raiders had better attendances on 6 of the 10 seasons we were comparing. Crushers had better attendances in 2 of their 3 seasons. Warriors had better attendances 4 times out of 5. Reds had better attendances in one of their 3 seasons. Rams had better attendances in one of their 2 seasons. That means the Crushers/Raiders/Reds/Rams/Warriors had better attendances than the Bears 14 times while Bears only came out on top 9 times.

It's incredibly disingenuous to not acknowledge that the times they drew more than Crushers, Reds and Rams was when fans of those clubs knew their teams were on death's door. Raiders had competition from the a strong Brumbies team from 1996 onwards that is the most successful RU team in Australia.

Try again.

Work on your maths.

Wow!
You're so stupid you cannot navigate the Cowboys' site or use Google?

Last edited:

t-ba

Post Whore
Other than writing something that's completely irrelevant to what you're responding to, is there a point to this?

I said Tweed Heads is on the far outskirts of the Gold Coast metropolitan area. I then pointed out that North Sydney Oval isn't on the outskirts of the region the Bears held.

How did this simple point go over your head?

Because I'm very simple mate.

Also, the epicentre of the Bears Junior base is up in Asquith, Berowra and Dural, which are all very far away.

The point is your point is rather stupid. Tweed Heads is part of the Gold Coast, and if your expecting Sydneysiders to just turn up to Sydney clubs because it' "Sydney" not expecting the same of people on the Gold Coast is pretty f**king hypocritical.

Or are you just being obtuse because you don't have a counterpoint?

Just admit that having the Gold Coast Tweed Seagulls would be like basing the Bears in a small suburb that's on the outskirts of the Bears' district.

Mate, the NFL New York Sides play out of New Jersey. The 49ers play out of Santa Clara. This is a pretty dumb argument.

Unless we want to accept the fact that despite how close a place might be to another, they can have very distinct identities! And that isn't just happening on the border of QLD and NSW, but also in Sydney!

The Gold Coast metropolitan area consists of Gold Coast City and Tweed Heads. Gold Coast City has about 600k people. Tweed Heads has less than 80k people. Putting a team in Tweed Heads and saying it represents everyone from Gold Coast City is like basing a team out of Redcliffe and claiming it represents everyone in Brisbane City, Ipswich, Logan and Redlands just because Moreton Bay is part of the Brisbane metropolitan area.

Yeah, almost like claiming a 'Sydney' side can represent all of Sydney, and that people from a distinct district like the North Shore should just support another 'Sydney' team would be really f**king dumb hey?

So all Sydney clubs should play out of the SFS because they're from the same metropolis?

People travel from Penrith to Sydney CBD for work, so using your logic then there's no reason Penrith cannot draw 25k by playing out of the SFS if you!

Base all nine Sydney clubs out of the SFS and you'll have non-stop howling on here from fans of the eight clubs that aren't within a 25km radius of the SFS.

Just like a lone man whinging about a Gold Coast team playing out Tweed Heads.

Use that noggin of yours to get the parallel mate.

Gold Coast City has an area of 1,334 km2. There's 69km between Stapylton in the north and Coolangatta in the south. It takes approximately 80 minutes to drive from one to the other. A more centralised suburb like Surfers Paradise is 26km from Coolangatta. So at least half of Gold Coast is too far away from Tweed Heads to draw fans.

How big is North Sydney Bears' district in square KMs and what percentage of their fans had to drive for 80 minutes to get to NSO?

It's around 960 square km.

From Chinaman's beach to Wiseman's ferry it's about 71km.

The drive from the North of the District to NSO can take up to two hours at certain times of the day due to traffic.

I am not sure why this is important but there we go!

Not really when residents of all 81 suburbs of Gold Coast City are governed by the Mayor of the Gold Coast and Premier of Queensland whereas the hillbillies from Tweed Heads are governed by the Mayor of Tweed Heads and Premier of NSW. For half the year the two cities are in a separate time zone. During the lock down people weren't allowed to cross the border.

In 1988 when the Giants began life "All 81 suburbs of the Gold Coast were governed by the mayor of the Gold Coast" was objectively not true.

The Albert Shire still existed. Like again history seems to elude you.

Yeah, for administrative purposes they live in a different state, so of course they are in a different broadcast area.

Of course if you have an aerial you can pick up both signals in both the Gold Coast (up to like Surfers on a good day lol) and down to like Murwillumbah in NSW.

I somehow doubt someone in 1988 was fastidiously observing the correct broadcasts of their area lol.

I certainly didn't when I could get both Sydney and Regional TV.

The only reason the NSWRL was able to bankrupt the BRL clubs was because the NSW Gov legalised gaming machines in licenced venues in the 1950s. Queensland Gov didn’t legalise them until the 1990s. Since then some of the traditional BRL clubs have gone on to become very wealthy. Clubs like Easts Tigers, Wynnum Manly Seagulls and Redcliffe Dolphins are strong and their Leagues Clubs are bigger than Broncos Leagues. Redcliffe are already one of the richest clubs in the NRL.

Yeah, and as pointed out by @Canard , a person who was actually alive and in Queensland for that period, that devastated the support of the BRL clubs.

That's history. It's a shame it happened but it is what it is.

The poorest NRL clubs are from Sydney. Clubs like Cronulla rely on the annual grant from the NRL to stay afloat as they only generate $4m per annum from sponsorship and take home little from gate receipts as their crowds are tiny.

The clubs that need bailing out aren't from Sydney.

They should probably stop needing bailing out.

I seriously doubt you've lived here for long if you don't think bayside suburbs like Wynnum don't have a "distinct regional identity".

The people of Wynnum do not have a particular amazingly unique identity dude. They live near Moreton Bay, whoopedy f**king-do. Come to Sydney and spend some time in the Shire or the Hills district if you want to experience a "distinct" regional identity.

This is just the geography of the place. Sydney is ripped up by big bodies of water that have forged some unique areas. It's also fairly older than Brisbane and developed along the harbour and the bay before transport made moving between parts of the city easier, which gave them unique identities that still persist. It's not anything magical about the place it's just what happens.

A few years' ago people from Wynnum wanted to become their own city. Queensland Cup games at Kougari Oval are distinctly different to any other club in the competition.

Bayside suburbs like Wynnum share more in common with Redlands than the rest of Brisbane.

It makes sense that Wynnum, an outer suburb of Brisbane on Moreton Bay, would be pretty similar to Cleveland, an outer suburb of Brisbane on Moreton. You're not exactly rocking the world with a revelation here.

Easts cover the south-eastern suburbs of Brisbane and eastern suburbs of Logan, beginning in Bulimba and extending throughout the southeastern suburbs of Carina, Holland Park, Mt Gravatt, Upper Mt Gravatt, Macgregor, Eight Mile Plains and Rochedale in Brisbane, and continue travelling from Rochedale South and Springwood in Logan's north-east down to the Flagstone and Yarrabilba in the outer south on the Logan-Gold Coast border.

These clubs play in West End and Coorparoo mate. Where is the dividing line between those two. You've just listed a bunch of suburbs further out from the city centre than where they play.

I lived in Underwood for years and worked at the Glen. In all honesty I saw more Rochedale Rovers gear than I ever did any Souths gear.

I never said they were sold out from 1988-onwards.

Good thing they weren't sold out before 1988, which is what I said, and which is why the video I chose was from 1987, and the years before also didn't see sellouts every season for the BRL Grand final.

You need to start actually reading posts instead of imagining what's there.

Now you're just being semantic.

No, There really is a massive difference between 'tons of' and several, and substituting one for the other comes across as either profoundly stupid or very disingenuous.

Linguistically, these two are not remotely synonyms, and pretending otherwise is pretty poor form.

Bullshit!

Raiders had better attendances on 6 of the 10 seasons we were comparing. Crushers had better attendances in 2 of their 3 seasons. Warriors had better attendances 4 times out of 5. Reds had better attendances in one of their 3 seasons. Rams had better attendances in one of their 2 seasons. That means the Crushers/Raiders/Reds/Rams/Warriors had better attendances than the Bears 14 times while Bears only came out on top 9 times.

Try again.

Work on your maths

Sounds to me like a number greater than 2 averaged out of those years.

That's several.

Looks like you're stuck in remedial maths with me mate.

You're so stupid you cannot navigate the Cowboys' site?

Yes.

Now do you have a link?

Canard

Immortal
All deference to @Desert Qlder, but this constant claim @Get Rid of The Donkeys that Eastern Suburbs is supported by and represents all of Brisbane south of the river is both historically inaccurate and just plain wrong.

Even if they lay claim to some Sydney style junior catchment in this area in 2022, that means nothing, as unfortunately the BRL/ QRL are very much not important in the modern league fans world.

There biggest claim to fame appears to be they have fancy pokie den, but so does Cairns Brothers, and Townsville Brothers and the Noosa Surf Club.

The point is your point is rather stupid. Tweed Heads is part of the Gold Coast, and if your expecting Sydneysiders to just turn up to Sydney clubs because it' "Sydney" not expecting the same of people on the Gold Coast is pretty f**king hypocritical.
Tweed Heads isn't part of Queensland, is it?

I don't know if you've noticed, but there's an intense rivalry between Queensland and NSW in rugby league and life in general.

You can ignore this fact all you like, but it doesn't stop it from being true.

What makes you think Queenslanders don't view Tweed Heads as anything but a small city in NSW that just happens to be adjacent to Coolangatta?

I've lived in Queensland all of my life, so I've got a good grasp on what Queenslanders think of NSW. I've also met people from Tweed Heads. They hate Queenslanders.

For some one who goes on about English, you need to learn the difference between "your" and "you're".

Mate, the NFL New York Sides play out of New Jersey. The 49ers play out of Santa Clara. This is a pretty dumb argument.

America is not Australia. NFL clubs get around 50k people turning out to their games on a regular basis. Gridiron is a religion in America. Rugby league ain't a religion in Australia. Comparing RL in Australia to gridiron in America is just dumb and disingenuous.

This point you're using can be turned around to argue that all nine Sydney clubs should play out of SFS. It can also be used to argue Sydney only needs to be represented by one RL club as it's not anywhere as big as New York City. Five boroughs make up NYC and they're more geographically isolated from New Jersey than any region of Greater Sydney is to the SFS, yet its people have no trouble uniting and travelling to New Jersey to watch their team play.

Unless we want to accept the fact that despite how close a place might be to another, they can have very distinct identities! And that isn't just happening on the border of QLD and NSW, but also in Sydney!

But accordingly to you there's nothing different about the Gold Coast and Tweed Heads!

Pull another one mate.

There's differences between the two. The only thing they share in common is they're part of the same metropolis. In 50 years Gold Coast and Brisbane will fit the definition of a metropolitan area, but they will be culturally different with their own governments. At some stage Sunshine Coast down to Tweed Heads will be a metropolis, but they'll also be just as distinct from one another as today.

Yeah, almost like claiming a 'Sydney' side can represent all of Sydney, and that people from a distinct district like the North Shore should just support another 'Sydney' team would be really f**king dumb hey?

Except this is exactly what happens in every other sport!

Swans represented all of Sydney for the best part of 30 years and became the largest and best attended sporting club in all of NSW!

Nothing seems to stop all RL fans across Sydney from uniting to support NSW in Origin.

The NSWRL clubs are tiny and poorly supported because they create division where there shouldn't be any. They should have been relegated to a feeder competition in the 80s and replaced with one or two teams in a national competition that represented all of Sydney.

Just like a lone man whinging about a Gold Coast team playing out Tweed Heads.

Use that noggin of yours to get the parallel mate.
So why have crowds for the Titans been much better than they ever were for the Giants/Seagulls?

They're better than a few Sydney clubs, too.

In 1988 when the Giants began life "All 81 suburbs of the Gold Coast were governed by the mayor of the Gold Coast" was objectively not true.

The Albert Shire still existed. Like again history seems to elude you.

I know about Albert quite well as I'm from Logan. The area was absorbed into the Gold Coast in 1995. Suburbs like Robina and Carrara were part of Albert. It probably explains why the Chargers weren't well supported at Carrara between 96 and 99.

The clubs that need bailing out aren't from Sydney.

They should probably stop needing bailing out.

Dumb comment mate.

Sharks were broke a few short years ago. They needed to sell land to a developer and forfeit their stake in it to pay off debts and fund the reconstruction of their Leagues Club. All they got was $39m. Most of it has been spent.

Google "Cronulla Sharks lock down long-term future with $40 million deal" to find the Daily Telegraph report on it.

The largest source of income for Cronulla is the annual grant from the NRL, and by some distance too. Their second main source of income is gambling revenue from pokies. Their football department makes little money from merchandise, gate receipts and sponsorship. I've shown you their annual report which details their finances, so stop playing dumb.

The people of Wynnum do not have a particular amazingly unique identity dude. They live near Moreton Bay, whoopedy f**king-do. Come to Sydney and spend some time in the Shire or the Hills district if you want to experience a "distinct" regional identity.

I was a club member of the Wynnum Manly Seagulls for years. The people I met at the games were most definitely different to people from the rest of Brisbane.

This is just the geography of the place. Sydney is ripped up by big bodies of water that have forged some unique areas. It's also fairly older than Brisbane and developed along the harbour and the bay before transport made moving between parts of the city easier, which gave them unique identities that still persist. It's not anything magical about the place it's just what happens.

New York City is divided by five boroughs spread over islands and the mainland. It doesn't stop its residents from getting behind two baseball teams and two gridiron teams. It's a furphy to suggest Sydney is too diverse and divided to support one team. The Swans, Kings, Waratahs and Origin team prove people from all parts of Sydney can unite behind a citywide club.

It makes sense that Wynnum, an outer suburb of Brisbane on Moreton Bay, would be pretty similar to Cleveland, an outer suburb of Brisbane on Moreton. You're not exactly rocking the world with a revelation here.

Just above you said:

[Inline]"The people of Wynnum do not have a particular amazingly unique identity dude."[/Inline]

Try sticking to a point instead of contradicting yourself in the same post!

These clubs play in West End and Coorparoo mate. Where is the dividing line between those two. You've just listed a bunch of suburbs further out from the city centre than where they play.

Which is why Souths are dying a slow death. The same thing happened to Valleys, Brothers and Wests. There's only enough room for one club.

I lived in Underwood for years and worked at the Glen. In all honesty I saw more Rochedale Rovers gear than I ever did any Souths gear.

Souths last had a subdistrict club in Logan in 1982. Souths Woodridge. It folded. Logan City Scorpions were formed in Slacks Creek in the mid 80s.

Easts Tigers have represented the north-eastern suburbs of Underwood, Springwood and Rochedale South for decades.

Good thing they weren't sold out before 1988, which is what I said, and which is why the video I chose was from 1987, and the years before also didn't see sellouts every season for the BRL Grand final.

You need to start actually reading posts instead of imagining what's there.

If they weren't sold out then they were damn close to it.

No, There really is a massive difference between 'tons of' and several, and substituting one for the other comes across as either profoundly stupid or very disingenuous.

Linguistically, these two are not remotely synonyms, and pretending otherwise is pretty poor form.

They're pretty much the same thing and you know it.

Sounds to me like a number greater than 2 averaged out of those years.

That's several.

Looks like you're stuck in remedial maths with me mate.

You said all of these clubs were "regularly" out supported by Bears. That's not true and disingenuous at best. Adelaide played a total of two seasons and drew more than Bears until it was evident they were going to be culled. Fans walked away, which is understandable. Same thing happened with Reds. Fans grew disillusioned after 1995 as the club's future was in doubt. Their crowds almost halved at this point. Auckland drew more than Bears in four of the five seasons they played. Their fans also grew disillusioned in 1998 because it was clear the newly formed NRL favoured Sydney.

Yes.

Now do you have a link?

I gave it to you in the previous post.

Last edited:
All deference to @Desert Qlder, but this constant claim @Get Rid of The Donkeys that Eastern Suburbs is supported by and represents all of Brisbane south of the river is both historically inaccurate and just plain wrong.

Even if they lay claim to some Sydney style junior catchment in this area in 2022, that means nothing, as unfortunately the BRL/ QRL are very much not important in the modern league fans world.

There biggest claim to fame appears to be they have fancy pokie den, but so does Cairns Brothers, and Townsville Brothers and the Noosa Surf Club.

These are their affiliate clubs and schools:

Easts Juniors
Carina Juniors
Easts Mt Gravatt
Easts Springwood
Rochedale Tigers
Bulimba Valleys Bulldogs
Brothers St Brendans
Flagstone Tigers
Yarrabilba Tigera
Keebra Park
Villanova
Mabel Park
Shalom College (Bundaberg)

All based in the south-eastern suburbs of Brisbane and eastern suburbs of Logan. I never said they represent everything south of the Brisbane River, but I do think they should take over Souths' territory as that club is cooked.

I've been to Wynnum vs Easts games at Kougari Oval. There were Easts fans from Carina down to Macgregor in attendance. The Wynnum vs Easts game was always as well supported as the Wynnum vs Redcliffe game, with plenty of travelling supporters in attendance.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal

These are their affiliate clubs and schools:

Easts Juniors
Carina Juniors
Easts Mt Gravatt
Easts Springwood
Rochedale Tigers
Bulimba Valleys Bulldogs
Brothers St Brendans
Flagstone Tigers
Yarrabilba Tigera
Keebra Park
Villanova
Mabel Park
Shalom College (Bundaberg)

All based in the south-eastern suburbs of Brisbane and eastern suburbs of Logan. I never said they represent everything south of the Brisbane River, but I do think they should take over Souths' territory as that club is cooked.

I've been to Wynnum vs Easts games at Kougari Oval. There were Easts fans from Carina down to Macgregor in attendance. The Wynnum vs Easts game was always as well supported as the Wynnum vs Redcliffe game, with plenty of travelling supporters in attendance.

Unfortunately BRL and state league games are not "well supported", most games would be lucky to get >500 attendees.

The affiliate thing is meaningless in terms of support, it's very much a foreign concept to QLDers and doesn't translate into actual supporters.

There would be more people in that area that identify as supporters of Sydney NRL teams then Easts Brisbane.