What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

t-ba

Post Whore
Tweed Heads isn't part of Queensland, is it?

I don't know if you've noticed, but there's an intense rivalry between Queensland and NSW in rugby league and life in general.

You can ignore this fact all you like, but it doesn't stop it from being true.

I don't know if you've noticed, but there's an intense rivalry between various districts of Sydney in Rugby league and life in general.

What makes you think Queenslanders don't view Tweed Heads as anything but a small city in NSW that just happens to be adjacent to Coolangatta?

image2_42.jpg

It's not the DMZ, it's a suburban road where one side happens to be in QLD and the other in NSW.

I've lived in Queensland all of my life, so I've got a good grasp on what Queenslanders think of NSW. I've also met people from Tweed Heads. They hate Queenslanders.

And yet they manage to live and work with each other.

For some one who goes on about English, you need to learn the difference between "your" and "you're".

My English bad. Can you point out where I used your and you're bad.

America is not Australia. NFL clubs get around 50k people turning out to their games on a regular basis. Gridiron is a religion in America. Rugby league ain't a religion in Australia. Comparing RL in Australia to gridiron in America is just dumb and disingenuous.

Yeah, and Sydney is not the rest of Australia.

This point you're using can be turned around to argue that all nine Sydney clubs should play out of SFS. It can also be used to argue Sydney only needs to be represented by one RL club as it's not anywhere as big as New York City. Five boroughs make up NYC and they're more geographically isolated from New Jersey than any region of Greater Sydney is to the SFS, yet its people have no trouble uniting and travelling to New Jersey to watch their team play.

More geographically isolated?

Come. Parts of Jersey are integrated into the Subway network. MSG is closer to Giants stadium than Brookie is to the SFS lol.

People from New York famously hate people from Jersey yet manage to travel to Jersey to watch New York teams play. Unlike those weak Gold Coasters who couldn't make it to Tweed Heads.

But accordingly to you there's nothing different between the Gold Coast and Tweed Heads!

Pull another one mate.

There's differences between the two. The only thing they share in common is they're part of the same metropolis. In 50 years Gold Coast and Brisbane will fit the definition of a metropolitan area, but they will be culturally different with their own governments. At some stage Sunshine Coast down to Tweed Heads will be a metropolis, but they'll also be just as distinct from one another as today.

Literally can be used to describe every region of Sydney mate.

It's all culturally distinct. The Borough of St Leonards, of which a large chunk of Norths territory is composed, was founded a year after Queensland, and is culturally distinct from Easts Territory, whose three constituent councils Randwick, Woollahra and Waverley QLD's age as well. These places feel different.

You get that you can't just create a special case for QLD and ignore other places right?'

Except this is exactly what happens in every other sport!

Swans represented all of Sydney for the best part of 30 years and became the largest and best attended sporting club in all of NSW!

It happened in every other sport because they weren't the dominant sport and that dominant sport did not evolve into the national league. Melbourne certainly isn't going to drop AFL teams any time soon.

The Swans also got the benefit of swallowing up the Inner West and North Shore, because, you guessed it, those areas largely lost the clubs they identify with!

Nothing seems to stop all RL fans across Sydney from uniting to support NSW in Origin.

Nothing stops Queenslanders from following national sports sides.

The NSWRL clubs are tiny and poorly supported because they create division where there shouldn't be any. They should have been relegated to a feeder competition in the 80s and replaced with one or two teams in a national competition that represented all of Sydney.

Probably because that horse has bolted and telling people they can't support their side that has been playing in the premier RL competition on the planet to support a new side is going to lose them. Cutting Sydney teams helps other sports grow. That's just a fact of life it would appear. The Wealthiest part of the country has been handed over do we want to give AFL more?

So why have crowds for the Titans been much better than they ever were for the Giants/Seagulls?

They're better than a few Sydney clubs, too.

I reckon it's because the people of the Gold Coast want a team that is distinct to them.

Much like the people of various regions of Sydney want RL teams distinct to them.

Or it could just be population growth who knows.

The area was absorbed into the Gold Coast in 1995. Suburbs like Robina and Carrara were part of Albert. It probably explains why the Chargers weren't well supported at Carrara between 96 and 99.

Seems like people can be pretty parochial about what they'll support if people from Palmy didn't support a side because it's playing out of a stadium over an imaginary line in their city.

Perhaps that's something to consider?

Dumb Comment mate.

Sharks were broke a few short years ago. They needed to sell land to a developer to pay off debts and fund the reconstruction of their Leagues Club. All they got was $39m. Most of it has been spent paying off debt and building the Leagues Club.

They didn't get bailed out by the NRL.

New York City is divided by five boroughs spread over islands and the mainland. It doesn't stop its residents from getting behind two baseball teams and two gridiron teams. It's a furphy to suggest Sydney is too diverse and divided to be support one team. The Swans, Kings, Waratahs and Origin team prove people from parts of Sydney can unite behind a citywide club.

New York's very unique in that it's one of only three cities in the States that has multiple major league clubs, two with multiple major league clubs in all majors and the ONLY city in America with three teams in one. It's home to roughly 5% of the US population. Sydney's home to 20%. scale.

Brooklyn, a district within NYC, got a basketball team a decade ago. So even in a place like America they seem to recognise regions in cities are distinct lol.

Just above you said:

"The people of Wynnum do not have a particular amazingly unique identity dude."

Try sticking to a point instead of contradicting yourself in the same post!

People from different parts of the city will have different backgrounds.

That's not an amazingly unique identity. That's pretty regular across cities globally. It makes sense that people from Wynnum and Cleveland, with similar demography, geography and socioeconomics are similar.

It's not Redcliffe. Now that place is different.

Which is why Souths are dying ad slow death. The same thing happened to Valleys, Brothers and Wests. There's only enough room for Easts.

Souths last had a subdistrict club in Logan in 1982. Souths Woodridge. It folded. Logan City Scorpions were formed in Slacks Creek in the mid 80s.

Easts Tigers have represented the north-eastern suburbs of Underwood, Springwood and Rochedale South for decades.

I literally never saw anyone in the Glen in Easts gear. I've never seen anyone besides you refer to Underwood as Easts Tigers territory. Retro Valleys stuff yes.

If they weren't sold out then they were damn close to it.

They're pretty much the same thing and you know it.

SOO I 1983 - 29,412
GF 1983 - 25,000

SOO I 1984 - 33,682
GF 1984 - 25,000

SOO I 1986 - 33,066
GF 1984 - 25,000

SOO II 1987 - 33,602
GF 1987 - 25,000

These are not 'damn close' to selling out.

You said all of these clubs were regularly out supported by Bears. That's not true and disingenuous at best. *Snip 10,000 character limit*

I did not say all. I never said regularly. this is poor form.

I gave it to you in the previous post.

Sharks at Kareela does not post the financials of the North Queensland Cowboys.

Now remember I am very stupid and can't navigate a website. Can you please post a direct link to the Cowboys annual report report for 2021 to help.

Cheers in advance.

Unfortunately BRL and state league games are not "well supported", most games would be lucky to get >500 attendees.

The affiliate thing is meaningless in terms of support, it's very much a foreign concept to QLDers and doesn't translate into actual supporters.

There would be more people in that area that identify as supporters of Sydney NRL teams then Easts Brisbane.
I don't disagree with what you're saying. Their support isn't huge at Queensland Cup level, but for dedicated RL fans from the region who played the game it's their local club.

I saw a kid wearing an Easts Tigers polo shirt yesterday. He may never be an avid supporter of the Brisbane Tigers at Queensland Cup level, but it's the local club he's connected to and if the Firehawks are given an NRL licence then he and many others who played for one of their affiliate clubs would jump on board. We're seeing this with the Dolphins.

Canard

Immortal
I don't disagree with what you're saying. Their support isn't huge at Queensland Cup level, but for dedicated RL fans from the region who played the game it's their local club.

I saw a kid wearing an Easts Tigers polo shirt yesterday. He may never be an avid supporter of the Brisbane Tigers at Queensland Cup level, but it's the local club he's connected to and if the Firehawks are given an NRL licence then he and many others who played for one of their affiliate clubs would jump on board. We're seeing this with the Dolphins.

Possibly but an NRL club would need to appeal to a far wider base then the hundred kids that play district junior league annually.

I don't know if you've noticed, but there's an intense rivalry between various districts of Sydney in Rugby league and life in general.

image2_42.jpg

It's not the DMZ, it's a suburban road where one side happens to be in QLD and the other in NSW.

And yet they manage to live and work with each other.

My English bad. Can you point out where I used your and you're bad.

Yeah, and Sydney is not the rest of Australia.

More geographically isolated?

Come. Parts of Jersey are integrated into the Subway network. MSG is closer to Giants stadium than Brookie is to the SFS lol.

People from New York famously hate people from Jersey yet manage to travel to Jersey to watch New York teams play. Unlike those weak Gold Coasters who couldn't make it to Tweed Heads.

Literally can be used to describe every region of Sydney mate.

It's all culturally distinct. The Borough of St Leonards, of which a large chunk of Norths territory is composed, was founded a year after Queensland, and is culturally distinct from Easts Territory, whose three constituent councils Randwick, Woollahra and Waverley QLD's age as well. These places feel different.

You get that you can't just create a special case for QLD and ignore other places right?'

It happened in every other sport because they weren't the dominant sport and that dominant sport did not evolve into the national league. Melbourne certainly isn't going to drop AFL teams any time soon.

The Swans also got the benefit of swallowing up the Inner West and North Shore, because, you guessed it, those areas largely lost the clubs they identify with!

Nothing stops Queenslanders from following national sports sides.

Probably because that horse has bolted and telling people they can't support their side that has been playing in the premier RL competition on the planet to support a new side is going to lose them. Cutting Sydney teams helps other sports grow. That's just a fact of life it would appear. The Wealthiest part of the country has been handed over do we want to give AFL more?

I reckon it's because the people of the Gold Coast want a team that is distinct to them.

Much like the people of various regions of Sydney want RL teams distinct to them.

Or it could just be population growth who knows.

Seems like people can be pretty parochial about what they'll support if people from Palmy didn't support a side because it's playing out of a stadium over an imaginary line in their city.

Perhaps that's something to consider?

They didn't get bailed out by the NRL.

New York's very unique in that it's one of only three cities in the States that has multiple major league clubs, two with multiple major league clubs in all majors and the ONLY city in America with three teams in one. It's home to roughly 5% of the US population. Sydney's home to 20%. scale.

Brooklyn, a district within NYC, got a basketball team a decade ago. So even in a place like America they seem to recognise regions in cities are distinct lol.

People from different parts of the city will have different backgrounds.

That's not an amazingly unique identity. That's pretty regular across cities globally. It makes sense that people from Wynnum and Cleveland, with similar demography, geography and socioeconomics are similar.

It's not Redcliffe. Now that place is different.

I literally never saw anyone in the Glen in Easts gear. I've never seen anyone besides you refer to Underwood as Easts Tigers territory. Retro Valleys stuff yes.

SOO I 1983 - 29,412
GF 1983 - 25,000

SOO I 1984 - 33,682
GF 1984 - 25,000

SOO I 1986 - 33,066
GF 1984 - 25,000

SOO II 1987 - 33,602
GF 1987 - 25,000

These are not 'damn close' to selling out.

I did not say all. I never said regularly. this is poor form.

Sharks at Kareela does not post the financials of the North Queensland Cowboys.

Now remember I am very stupid and can't navigate a website. Can you please post a direct link to the Cowboys annual report report for 2021 to help.

Cheers in advance.
We're clogging up this thread with this crap. We can continue the discussion in the The Fight Club forum.

I provided a link to the 2021 North Queensland Cowboys Annual Report a couple of posts back.

And no I don't think you're stupid. You're actually quite smart and good at being a smartarse. You'll never convince me that Sydney needs nine clubs. We can argue why we disagree all day, but it'll just go around in circles.

If V'landys brings back the Bears I'll probably give up on the game.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
I’m sorry but can people stop using this throw away line that the only reason that fumbleball carved out a niche audience was because some RL teams died in Sydney.

It is used to form this narrative which is that fumbleball could never be popular in Sydney and Brisbane or that rugby league could never be popular in WA, SA or Victoria. It is just absolute b******.

Other than small core groups of rusted on supporters like ourselves, most others will follow sports casually and with teams, generally engage in greater numbers with those that win and disengage with those that lose.

It’s not rocket science.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
We're clogging up this thread with this crap.

Fk i hope so, give up on it, it'll save us the effort of reading your incessant bullshìt

And you're the only one here clogging it up, with your nonsense about tweed heads and gold coast, and basically everything else you post is just fkn dribble

t-ba

Post Whore
I’m sorry but can people stop using this throw away line that the only reason that fumbleball carved out a niche audience was because some RL teams died in Sydney.

It is used to form this narrative which is that fumbleball could never be popular in Sydney and Brisbane or that rugby league could never be popular in WA, SA or Victoria. It is just absolute b******.

Other than small core groups of rusted on supporters like ourselves, most others will follow sports casually and with teams, generally engage in greater numbers with those that win and disengage with those that loss. It’s not rocket science.

It's not the only reason, and I don't see anyone claiming that it is the only reason here, but like it is glaringly obvious that the Swans are the biggest were traditional clubs with strong local identities have either been axed or merged that this is obviously a rather big factor, or the biggest coincidence in Australian sports.

MugaB

Coach

Other than small core groups of rusted on supporters like ourselves, most others will follow sports casually and with teams, generally engage in greater numbers with those that win and disengage with those that loss. It’s not rocket science.
But if say western force gets kicked out of the comp and you follow them, do you becone disenfranchised? or pick up AFL and Aleague as your favorite sporting past time
Your not going to follow another union team, not after that comp kicked out your team...
So... translate that to NRL

Colk

First Grade
But if say western force gets kicked out of the comp and you follow them, do you becone disenfranchised? or pick up AFL and Aleague as your favorite sporting past time

I don’t come from Perth but in this hypothetical who is to suggest that I didn’t already follow those other sports at least casually? Who is to suggest that I simply wouldn’t just give up on sport altogether and do something else with my time - if I have already taken my time to view those sports and don’t like them, I am not suddenly going to change my mind just because my team was cut.

The Swans gained traction because they were and have been successful for a long time. The same reason why the Melbourne Storm have gained a niche following down there or why Lions have got a niche following in Brisbane. If any of these teams remained on the bottom of the ladder for a lot of their existence, say like the Titans, they wouldn’t have gained as much of a following.

We're clogging up this thread with this crap. We can continue the discussion in the The Fight Club forum.

I provided a link to the 2021 North Queensland Cowboys Annual Report a couple of posts back.

And no I don't think you're stupid. You're actually quite smart and good at being a smartarse. You'll never convince me that Sydney needs nine clubs. We can argue why we disagree all day, but it'll just go around in circles.

Mate, that’s a little melodramatic isn’t it? Surely your interest in the game isn’t that fragile.

Wb1234

Referee
In the city sure, in the region no. Canberra's got a large transient population. Civil Servants from the South follow Australian football and historically civil servants from the Northern states would have gone through schooling where Union was the premier sport. Places like Quaenbeyan and Goulburn are solidly league country and have been since any of us have been alive. Somewhere around Wagga is the traditional dividing line but in the 1980s even a dude like Wayne Carey played more league than AFL there.

Coollangatta is literally one suburb over from Tweed Heads dude.

Yeah, they do. They also travel regularly between Tweed Heads and Burleigh, Some people *Gasp* even travel between their nice house and Kingscliff and the Southport Courthouse!

Bringing up Cooly and Tweed is just to point out how ridiculous the assertion that Tweed Heads is somehow not part of the Gold Coast area. It clearly is. It's bloody closer the more central parts of the city than say Penrith is to the centre of Sydney but only a weirdo would assert that that isn't part of Sydney.

The constant bringing up of Cooly is to show the assertion that the QLD GC and Tweed Heads are somehow these hugely different places is an insane notion.

Well it is, because the national competition emerged out of that city, like Melbourne did for the AFL.
Yeah, and they lost currency to the Sydney Clubs because of $$$$. At the end of the day, like Perth and Adelaide in the AFL, the local state league clubs lost ground to the big money league.

I've been to a bunch of QRL games mate. I lived in Queensland, I'm a Souths Fan. Like no offence to Brisbane, but outside of Redcliffe no club has a distinct regional identity like Cronulla, Saints, Manly or Norths had.

That's just how the geography and history of the places work.

I mean, look at Valleys and Brothers. What exactly is the difference between those two geographically? Where exactly is the cut off the between Easts and Souths territory in Brisbane? Can any club besides Redcliffe point to a cut off point as distinctive as the Lane Cover River/Sydney Harbour/Middle Harbour, The Georges River or the Spit?

District Rugby League in Brisbane was nothing remotely like District Rugby League in Sydney either.

In 1987 it definitely wasn't.

31 minutes in, guessing around 25k which was 'very good considering the activity going on in Brisbane. Watch the video, can see the gaps.

Origin drew 33k twice that year.

Through the years, by the mid 1980s, Grand Final attendances were consistently under 30k.

It's unfair to compare from 1988 because of the Broncos, but those crowds were definitely falling for Grand Finals. Certainly not 'selling out every year' which is a preposterous claim in the face of reality.

Several and a ton of are not the same thing. This is basic reading comprehension mate.

But okay. 'several' is a small number higher than two.

'A ton of' is an idiom describing a large amount of something.

These are very different terms.

So they always had better attendances than the Seagulls, better attendances than the Steelers and regularly had better attendances than a combination of the Crushers/Raiders/Warriors/Rams and Reds.

That's several mate.

And 'a ton' and several are not remotely synonyms lol. Please English Better.

The Sharks at Kareela now cover the financial reports of the North Queensland Cowboys?

Wow!
Man these posts are good

I’m involved in a work project in tweed heads

the beach is coolangatta it’s literally a five minute walk from the tweeds heads commercial centre or less in some streets

And it’s definitely more of a qld feel

Iamback

Coach
I don’t come from Perth but in this hypothetical who is to suggest that I didn’t already follow those other sports at least casually? Who is to suggest that I simply wouldn’t just give up on sport altogether and do something else with my time - if I have already taken my time to view those sports and don’t like them, I am not suddenly going to change my mind just because my team was cut.

The Swans gained traction because they were and have been successful for a long time. The same reason why the Melbourne Storm have gained a niche following down there or why Lions have got a niche following in Brisbane. If any of these teams remained on the bottom

We are talking across a 40 year period though, Very easy to go from watching the odd game to full members now

reanimate

Bench
It's not the only reason, and I don't see anyone claiming that it is the only reason here, but like it is glaringly obvious that the Swans are the biggest were traditional clubs with strong local identities have either been axed or merged that this is obviously a rather big factor, or the biggest coincidence in Australian sports.
The Swans are big in the Eastern Suburbs, it’s not just areas where teams were cut/merged.

Wb1234

Referee
Article today

18th team by 2027
$600m revenue
$50m profit
$11m salary cap
Every team making a profit

Yep game is going down on current management's watch
Linky

idc what idiots say vlandys is the best leader rugby league has ever had

not the best in the nrl, the best since gillitnan

he’s taking our sport to a new level under his leadership

every club should thank him because most of them are run like chook raffles but since their funding is so high it doesn’t matter