What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

reanimate

Bench
They always had support in the Eastern Suburbs. Like, when I was at school 20 (f**k) years ago in the Eastern Suburbs you saw swans gear. That's just something you did not see in the North Shore.
If the Swans were able to grow one of their biggest support bases in Sydney in the heart of Roosters’ territory, a team that has never been merged or cut, it seems like the Swans are able to grow a base in areas of Sydney regardless of their NRL teams.

I do agree the Super League damage played a role in giving them a leg up though. I think another factor in the AFL’s growth on the North Shore, aside from Union’s demise, is the idiocy of just leaving the North Shore to rot in the messy state it’s been in post Northern Eagles for 20+ years. It’s an own goal that continues to be made worse by every year of inaction.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
Eh the Shire is pretty well-to-do and it's not exactly stronghold's of Swanness. Same with the Northern Beaches, fairly well supported but not an overwhelming presence.

Can't say I'm buying this argument when there's a pretty clear correlation between areas that have seen turbulence with their teams (excluding the Eastern Suburbs) and strong Swans support.

Correlation doesn’t necessary equal causation.

Your view for example doesn’t explain 25k attendances in 1986 and 1987 when there was no turbulence. That suggests to me that there was a market there and that it could gain popularity again when they became successful again which they unfortunately did

Anyway, I’m not suggesting at all that there was no impact from the death of Sydney clubs but I’m suggesting that there is no evidence that I can see to suggest that it was the significant cause for an increase in their popularity.

Iamback

Coach
The management of the Bears will drive for a permanent return and I reckon that's probably V'landys' ultimate goal in pairing them up with another region. He's basically colluding with the Bears to Trojan Horse Norths proper back into the comp at some point in the future.

They might want that but TV is king and they won't want anymore Sydney teams.

Wb1234

Referee
They’ve been present the whole time though. The Swans haven’t just grown in areas where teams were cut/merged, one of their biggest bases in Sydney is in the heart of Roosters’ territory. They’ve grown massively in the Eastern Suburbs right under the noses of one of the city’s most successful teams.

It’s very comparable to the amount of Swans gear you’d see around Paddington, Woollahra, Double Bay etc.
Yeh when I’m sipping my ten dollar late at double bay all I ever see it’s guys in swans jerseys

and that golden sheaf it’s full of fumblers

Eh the Shire is pretty well-to-do and it's not exactly stronghold's of Swanness. Same with the Northern Beaches, fairly well supported but not an overwhelming presence.

Can't say I'm buying this argument when there's a pretty clear correlation between areas that have seen turbulence with their teams (excluding the Eastern Suburbs) and strong Swans support.
Exactly and it’s only natural the Swans have a big following in the eastern suburbs as it’s where they’re based. I worked in Crows Nest for a dozen years and definitely think there‘s a fair contingent of Swans fans on the north side and personally know ex Norths fans who have Swans memberships. Massive support in the inner west as well. Shits me hearing fans singing the Swans team song in the Golden Barely

Wb1234

Referee
Exactly and it’s only natural the Swans have a big following in the eastern suburbs as it’s where they’re based. I worked in Crows Nest for a dozen years and definitely think there‘s a fair contingent of Swans fans on the north side and personally know ex Norths fans who have Swans memberships. Massive support in the inner west as well. Shits hearing fans singing the Swans team song in the Golden Barely
Which is why the afl allowing the giants to move to homebush was so stupid

Iamback

Coach
Some people on here think everyone is like them and can only follow 1 sport. The swans could only have fans because those fans lost their teams and so had to go to another sport.

In the real world, a lot of people support the swans because they enjoy watching sport and it was the only AFL team for a long time

So why is the AFL TV ratings and other city wide metric still showing at low levels?

People all across Sydney watch all sports, I myself had an NHL avi for a while there. Yet in most cases NRL is king

Colk

First Grade
Which is why the afl allowing the giants to move to homebush was so stupid

They really f***** up there thankfully. They were either extremely arrogant or just didn’t understand what type of supporters the Swans have and where they are based.

Colk

First Grade
So why is the AFL TV ratings and other city wide metric still showing at low levels?

People all across Sydney watch all sports, I myself had an NHL avi for a while there. Yet in most cases NRL is king

Because they probably still prefer to watch League than fumbleball if they do support both, which is a good thing. Honestly I think that fumbleball have taken their support from Union more so than our game

Wb1234

Referee
They really f***** up there thankfully. They were either extremely arrogant or just didn’t understand what type of supporters the Swans have and where they are based.
Don’t understand Sydney

the place they want to expand too is totally different to Bondi beach and the harbour

but that’s where the population growth is

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The group of people that the Swans benefitted from after the SL war was the 'Swinging' sports fan these wete the ones we had before when league was the cool in game during the Tina Turner years. This demographic helped league to grow. However we lost them and along with the media bashing the game for 15 to 20 years destroying its image we havent been able to get them back.

Colk

First Grade
The group of people that the Swans benefitted from after the SL war was the 'Swinging' sports fan these wete the ones we had before when league was the cool in game during the Tina Turner years. This demographic helped league to grow. However we lost them and along with the media bashing the game for 15 to 20 years destroying its image we havent been able to get them back.

That’s a very good point. I think if you are going to say that anything has damaged the game in Sydney is how it has been reported, particularly in those areas which are the higher earning generally socially liberal areas like those in the north, east and inner west.

Reflector

Juniors
Man these posts are good

I’m involved in a work project in tweed heads

the beach is coolangatta it’s literally a five minute walk from the tweeds heads commercial centre or less in some streets

And it’s definitely more of a qld feel
Everything down to Byron Bay feels like it's part of Qld. Similar vibe to those sleepy hippy towns in NQ once you get away from the Gold Coast high-rises and commercial developments- which definitely extends to the Tweed River overpass.

Jamberoo

Juniors
A combination of arrogance and ignorance. AFL industry bought the line from Demetriou that there are 2.5m in Western Sydney so a team is needed and you only need to convert 2% of the population to be a success. Problem is they will never, ever make it to that 2%. Very few Vic ex-pats live out west and that is a big part of their problem. Perhaps the second AFL side should have been in the north rather than the west?

Anyway, the PVL article is full of half truths and his usual repeated references to AFL. That man is obsessed with trying to trump Victoria (AFL and Racing).

Reflector

Juniors
Like beyond the meme potential I don't reckon there's a place for the North Sydney Bears in the NRL anymore. There's a certain romanticism to it but I reckon it's not a good idea when there are other places that could do with a team.

What gets my goat is people engaging in constant revisionism about the initial wisdom of that decision (And that includes Norths' decision to abandon the North Shore) and the impact it has had on the sporting landscape on the city, in particular one of the wealthiest parts of the country.
I agree the Bears shouldn't return as North Sydney. But the Bears (as an organisation) should definitely have a place at NRL level. My ideal has always been their original intention- move to the growing Central Coast with 2 games a year at NSO. But I see the sense in doing a South Melbourne/ Fitzroy and moving interstate, bringing that Bears brand and colouring, while also working on winning back the lost customers of the North Shore. Get more schools playing league in that district, pathways, the usual- and the Bears have 2-3 games a year at NSO- give North Shore kids that dream of playing in the big league in the very district they grew up playing in.

Not a PV supporter necessarily (won't write the essay here) but everything I've heard/ seen re. expansion the last couple of years has been 100% spot-on. Redcliffe= smart move that gives Qld NRL this whole new dynamic it's never had at NRL level before. Broncos v Dolphins could become Qld's Souths v Easts (the Cowboys are too far away and it's still kinda "friendly") and will appeal to the hipsters and grass-roots types in Brisbane who don't like the Broncos for (insert reasons). Then what we're hearing about the Bears- another smart move if the rumours prove true. That's another admission that will be a great success due to the previous paragraph.

Canard

Immortal
The loss of teams in Sydney certainly doesn't explain the Brisbane Lions becoming big in Brisbane.

I love that there is an apparently an article out there that that lays out the future of the NRL, it'd revenue, etc yet only one member of LU has access to it.

Haha, f**k me dead

Colk

First Grade
The loss of teams in Sydney certainly doesn't explain the Brisbane Lions becoming big in Brisbane.

I love that there is an apparently an article out there that that lays out the future of the NRL, it'd revenue, etc yet only one member of LU has access to it.

Haha, f**k me dead

Or the Storm’s success in Melbourne. Teams get success and they gain greater support.

Reflector

Juniors
Don’t understand Sydney

the place they want to expand too is totally different to Bondi beach and the harbour

but that’s where the population growth is
This is why I'm not worried about the AFL, because their views on expansion are basically GROTD without wanting to kill off clubs from one of their heartlands with generations of support...