What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Wb1234

Referee
The AFL definitely did have to relocate teams outside their home state in 2020 and 2021, for obvious reasons the AFL was far more disrupted than the NRL was from Covid.
In the second year nrl had to relocate the whole comp not just a few teams

that 30 million relocation expense still showed a profit of 43 million whilst the afl made a similar sized loss with limited covid expenses

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hey if afl want to use their offset facility on their assets to cover spending they are welcome to it

cutting spending to appropriate levels during a pandemic might’ve been a smarter choice

I mean abdo is on like 500k pa whilst the afl executives get around 3 million pa
probably why they got $643mill and we got $402mill. Pay peanuts and all that lol
in abdos favour though he did allegedly tell pistol Pete not to do it,

ps nrl spent $5.1mill on 10 exec management positions last year, doubt he is on $500k lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't get me wrong I think the NRL buying pokie dens (like the Caxton Street pub) is a shit idea.
I’m not against it if it’s showing a good long term profit return and it the building is worth a big chunk of that $25mill. Paying players more is just dead money though, shame they built the bonus into the agreement.
If they can turn a $50mill surplus every year (with increased grass roots funding) $25mill into cash reserves and $25mill into revenue raising assets would be a very good outcome for the game.

now the clubs have blown their $9mill bail out fund will be interesting to see if nrl bails them out if they get in trouble or uses the opportunity to move the license.

Iamback

Coach
And? He was talking total each governing body is paying out. Avg wage has nothing to do with his bs statement. And then there’s the PA $60mill a year beyond salaries that is there for the players in some way.
but it is good to see nrl wages going up, sure some of them are stealing a wage based on performance but they are putting their long term health on the line for our entertainment and deserve whatever they can get,

Yes but if NRL less teams and players then it is apples and oranges comparison.

Cricket is slightly different due to IPL and other comps but based purely on Local competitions, NRL players are the highest paid.

This is with the NRLW expanding and not yet making money and another team coming in, Hard to find fault on the financials of the ARLC

Wb1234

Referee
Don't get me wrong I think the NRL buying pokie dens (like the Caxton Street pub) is a shit idea.
It’s not a pub or a pokie den

it’s a hotel right next to Suncorp

they literally pay Millions a year in hiring hotels for visiting teams into Brisbane now that money stays in house

they got it for a reduced price and it’s showing a ten percent yield

google vertical integration this is what they are doing

Iamback

Coach
It’s not a pub or a pokie den

it’s a hotel right next to Suncorp

they literally pay Millions a year in hiring hotels for visiting teams into Brisbane now that money stays in house

they got it for a reduced price and it’s showing a ten percent yield

google vertical integration this is what they are doing

That is how I took it, Why pay someone like Accor a few grand a year to stay when you can stay in your own place. The General Public using it is an advantage

Wb1234

Referee
In 2020 the NRL had to move 3 teams, compared to the AFL moving all at different stages. Suggesting we were impacted for 2 years and they weren't is ridiculous
Wait till the financials come out for this year you will see how much better they have done (both codes)

the arlc literally agreed to give players another 28 million from the money they lost during covid

afl has given their players none of that lost money back

Wb1234

Referee
Got any links for this?

A quick google says they got it all back and more in early 2021

Yeh and like I said when are they getting paid the 30 percent reduction they took during covid

the article also literally states afl player payments still haven’t recovered to pre covid levels

did you even read it ?
Lol

Canard

Immortal
Yeh and like I said when are they getting paid the 30 percent reduction they took during covid

the article also literally states afl player payments still haven’t recovered to pre covid levels

did you even read it ?
Lol

I can't see that literally written there.

That was also in 2021, I'm not up on what's happening this season