What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
If we got what AwFuL gets we could make the NSW Cup, Queensland Cup and BRL full-time professional competitions to improve player depth and pave the way for a 20 team NRL.
With an extra $250-350millin revenue a year the game would know no boundaries, we could be anything in multiple countries. If only we could get an administration that could deliver it!

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
and an extra $42 mill to the players association in 2021. He lives in a fantasy world and clearly can’t read annual reports lol

He thinks purchases of assets and property goes on the P&L. I think we can assume he doesn't know much about financial reports

Told you the news ltd puff pieces would come to protect their mate. First his wife telling us what a great guy he is, now he’s a financial genius lol

How can the NRL be on track for a $50m profit in a financial year that hasn't even started.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Yes but this is the PVL thread and he is obsessed with AFL. The chip on his shoulder means he has to mention them every time he speaks about RL, and has to mention Melbourne‘s Spring Racing carnival every time he speak about hose racing. He mentioned AFL numerous times in the recent article that we are discussing.
I don`t mind it, fumbleball - like Vic racing was - is the biggest dog revenue wise, V`landy`s hates that, he wants to beat them " we will beat afl " you can`t get any clearer of a mission statement then that. This is his mission, I like it, he won`t die wondering - go for it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don`t mind it, fumbleball - like Vic racing was - is the biggest dog revenue wise, V`landy`s hates that, he wants to beat them " we will beat afl " you can`t get any clearer of a mission statement then that. This is his mission, I like it, he won`t die wondering - go for it.
probably best not to be signing a 5 year sht tv deal if that’s the goal!

Wb1234

Referee
Victoria racing like the afl just don’t like competition. Especially when that competitor is one that is a real rival

With an extra $250-350millin revenue a year the game would know no boundaries, we could be anything in multiple countries. If only we could get an administration that could deliver it!
We could have Tonga, Samoa and New Caledonia join PNG and Fiji in a fully professional second division that features teams from the Queensland Cup, NSW Cup plus Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Victoria racing like the afl just don’t like competition. Especially when that competitor is one that is a real rival
What evidence is there that AFL don’t like competition? What makes you say that? Their ‘invasion’ of NSW & QLD suggests otherwise.

Colk

First Grade

I don’t have a problem with that as a goal, in fact part of it is refreshing particularly as the game has had a rather reserved approach. However there is a lot of pressure when you do that, you actually have to deliver on that talk.

Iamback

Coach
I don’t have a problem with that as a goal, in fact part of it is refreshing particularly as the game has had a rather reserved approach. However there is a lot of pressure when you do that, you actually have to deliver on that talk.

Besides the perceived poor TV deal ( which I will say again. We won't know for years the gap if any). The commission is pretty much nailing it

The chairman is the face and people like to bag him which is fair enough, The others on the commission have done a great job

Wb1234

Referee
What evidence is there that AFL don’t like competition? What makes you say that? Their ‘invasion’ of NSW & QLD suggests otherwise.
It’s literally in the article

Victoria racing we’re going to give the Everest group one status if he stopped making new races that competed with theirs

on afl well they and their fans can never admit areas where league beats them or is indeed number one

afl has this ingrained arrogance that they are the number one Australian sport and nobody is challenging that

their ads described their code as “Australia’s” code when in terms of football it’s clearly not

Iamback

Coach
He thinks purchases of assets and property goes on the P&L. I think we can assume he doesn't know much about financial reports

How can the NRL be on track for a $50m profit in a financial year that hasn't even started.

Ask the Journo who wrote it, PVL never said it was that was the journo

But the plan is to buy $100m in assets, How do you do that unless you play to make profit?

That is what financial forecasting is for, Something all major businesses and Governments use all the time.

Though on the projected profit and loss - Abdo is a qualified accountant, Tony McGrath has Finance experience too. So lets not pretend it is a bunch of dumb ex footballers making decisions

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
I mean come on this guy is a huge get for RL

Tony McGrath brings more than 30 years of experience in business, particularly in re-shaping companies and providing high-level strategic advice, to the Commission.

A former partner at KPMG, Tony is the co-founder of McGrathNicol, one of the country’s most highly respected restructuring and advisory firms, which was established mid-2004. Tony has advised on a number of high profile corporate restructures including Pan Pharmaceuticals Group as well as HIH, which is considered one of the largest failures in Australian corporate history. Tony acted as liquidator and scheme manager of the HIH Group of Companies.

Tony brings valuable experience and insight to the Commission from working across a diverse range of sectors including insurance, superannuation, finance, mining, property and transport.

He has a range of experience in advising boards on governance issues, assisting boards in undertaking restructuring, undertaking transactions, chairing audit committee roles and understanding regulatory requirements. Tony is also on the boards of Servcorp Limited and the National Foundation for Medical Research and Innovation.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Victoria racing we’re going to give the Everest group one status if he stopped making new races that competed with theirs
The thing I like about V`landy`s scheming ( for the want of a better word ) with the Everest is that he openly declares that he wants it to be two weeks after the RL GF. That`s non-negotiable. So in effect he`s openly setting up this sporting calendar in Sydney/N.S.W. to dominate the headlines and snuff out any news coming from south of the border. It also links the glamour and success of the Everest to the NRL GF.
It`s this tie in between racing (and the increasingly younger audience it is attracting) and the NRL that I wonder if he is attempting to pursue. Having a suite of spanking brand new stadiums I imagine would have been part of this strategy to pursue the ` event ` seeking crowds.

Iamback

Coach
The thing I like about V`landy`s scheming ( for the want of a better word ) with the Everest is that he openly declares that he wants it to be two weeks after the RL GF. That`s non-negotiable. So in effect he`s openly setting up this sporting calendar in Sydney/N.S.W. to dominate the headlines and snuff out any news coming from south of the border. It also links the glamour and success of the Everest to the NRL GF.
It`s this tie in between racing (and the increasingly younger audience it is attracting) and the NRL that I wonder if he is attempting to pursue. Having a suite of spanking brand new stadiums I imagine would have been part of this strategy to pursue the ` event ` seeking crowds.

That is an area RL struggles in, Should be more event games

Wb1234

Referee
Besides the perceived poor TV deal ( which I will say again. We won't know for years the gap if any). The commission is pretty much nailing it

The chairman is the face and people like to bag him which is fair enough, The others on the commission have done a great job
Except Wayne Pearce he’s done nothing

his ideas to being in new rules were poor
he’s probably the most important person in nsw in terms of power and connections outside like billionaires and he’s working for rugby league and only taking like a directors fee from the game

he’s doing this I think because he grew up with the game when it made him feel included as a Greek kid growing up in Australia, but also and just as important as a counter to Victorian arrogance that Melbourne is the centre of Australia

what he did and is doing for nsw racing to the spring carnival in Melbourne will and has been replicated in the two football codes of each city

Iamback

Coach
Except Wayne Pearce he’s done nothing

his ideas to being in new rules were poor

Had to try something, Wrestle was a problem. Although now games are dragged out longer than 2 hours. Not sure how to fix that side of it, Though having an ex player on the Commission is a good thing for such things

Maximus

Coach
Ask the Journo who wrote it, PVL never said it was that was the journo

You know the post I was responding to was criticising the puff piece from the journo right?

But the plan is to buy $100m in assets, How do you do that unless you play to make profit?

Lol

That is what financial forecasting is for, Something all major businesses and Governments use all the time.

The only people who brag in the media about the surplus they forecast is the government, and that's because the budgets are very public. Can't say I remember any other business talking up their expected profits a year in advance

Though on the projected profit and loss - Abdo is a qualified accountant, Tony McGrath has Finance experience too. So lets not pretend it is a bunch of dumb ex footballers making decisions

Cool. I'm a qualified accountant too. Does that make my opinion more important?