What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
You know the post I was responding to was criticising the puff piece from the journo right?

Lol

The only people who brag in the media about the surplus they forecast is the government, and that's because the budgets are very public. Can't say I remember any other business talking up their expected profits a year in advance

Cool. I'm a qualified accountant too. Does that make my opinion more important?

The detailed report from Boston Consulting Group, commissioned by Cricket Australia, projects a negative cash flow of $90 million over the next three years, an average of $30 million a year, if nothing changes.

Cricket can predict losing $90m in 3 years, Yet NRL can't predict finances for the upcoming season?

Or what about Virgin Australia predicting a profit in 2023?

“We are forecasting a profit for the 2023 financial year and a period of continued growth.”

Ms Hrdlicka said the airline would continue to look to cut down on costs as it battled rising fuel prices and staff shortages.

Organisations always forecast this sort of stuff, Doesn't mean it happens

As for you, Sure thing go for it. While you are looking at the books, I would like to know the actual Broadcast figures. Thanks in advance

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Can't say I remember any other business talking up their expected profits a year in advance
What planet are you on, business CEO`s are continually talking up their future revenue prospects i.e profits. It is generally the whole point of being a business.

Cool. I'm a qualified accountant too. Does that make my opinion more important?
H & R Block ?

Maximus

Coach

The detailed report from Boston Consulting Group, commissioned by Cricket Australia, projects a negative cash flow of $90 million over the next three years, an average of $30 million a year, if nothing changes.

Cricket can predict losing $90m in 3 years, Yet NRL can't predict finances for the upcoming season?

Or what about Virgin Australia predicting a profit in 2023?

“We are forecasting a profit for the 2023 financial year and a period of continued growth.”

Ms Hrdlicka said the airline would continue to look to cut down on costs as it battled rising fuel prices and staff shortages.

Organisations always forecast this sort of stuff, Doesn't mean it happens

As for you, Sure thing go for it. While you are looking at the books, I would like to know the actual Broadcast figures. Thanks in advance

The cricket one is a leaked report, not anyone going into the media.

The virgin one is at least 3 months into their year, and as far as I can see, aren't even giving a number, let alone bragging about record numbers

Maximus

Coach
Business's do this literally all the time lol

Go to the media before a financial year starts, give a specific profit number and brag about how they are going to make a record profit in a years time?

Every business forecasts results. Businesses don't go to the media and say "look how good we are, we are going to report a profit of $x in 13 months time".

MugaB

Coach
They go to the media to brag about forecasts profits so they can plan extra staff hiring? What?
Oh my god are you still going on with this... i think the argument is over dude... you got pants... i did you a favour by breaking up your 4 posts in a row... to 4 different posters bagging your accounting skillz
KnobbyFlatErmine-max-1mb.gif

Wb1234

Referee
What cuts will he make to reach his predicted profit margin?

It won't be the annual grant as he's increased that to keep the Sydney clubs safe.
Doesn’t need to make cuts

they made 43 million last year and revenue went up this year over 30 million with full houses at origins and grand final (so they were looking at a profit over 70 million before increasing spending)

he spent some of that money with the salary cap going up to 11 mill

MugaB

Coach
What cuts will he make to reach his predicted profit margin?

It won't be the annual grant as he's increased that to keep the Sydney clubs safe.
f**k yeah... status quo, keeping the nswrl alive, 9 games in Sydney to watch if you're a cowboy fan... hopefully 10 when the bears return.... IF

... ahhh fk it when...its PVL of course its a when!!!

Maybe if PVL was around in the 90s doin this job for the BRL they'd be the premier league comp by now...

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
They go to the media to brag about forecasts profits so they can plan extra staff hiring? What?

Well in this case yes

Joyce said the record profits mean the company will invest in "rewarding" employees who have been doing "an amazing job" but the motive is being questioned by the aviation union.
"We'll spend an additional $40 million a year on permanent pay increases for our people on top of the $200 million in cash and share bonuses we've announced for our people," he said.
Qantas said there will be an annual wage increase of 1 per cent for 20,000 employees from 2 to 3 per cent.

Maximus

Coach

Well in this case yes

Joyce said the record profits mean the company will invest in "rewarding" employees who have been doing "an amazing job" but the motive is being questioned by the aviation union.
"We'll spend an additional $40 million a year on permanent pay increases for our people on top of the $200 million in cash and share bonuses we've announced for our people," he said.
Qantas said there will be an annual wage increase of 1 per cent for 20,000 employees from 2 to 3 per cent.

Fail. Projected profits for a 6 month period of which they already had the results of the first 3 months. Not even remotely similar

Maximus

Coach
Oh my god are you still going on with this... i think the argument is over dude... you got pants... i did you a favour by breaking up your 4 posts in a row... to 4 different posters bagging your accounting skillz
View attachment 67491

Ah yes lets listen to the guy who thinks property purchases go on the p&l or the other guy who thinks revenue and profit are the same thing

Munky

Coach
Speaking of Qantas.

That isn't a staggering profit.

It's not a record either, 2008 was a profit of $1.54b.

Which was an 11% margin, which sounds good until you realise their average is 2.69% since 2002 and 4.49% not including 2020 and 2021.

Current share price is less 2007.

Not a good return on equity at all.

Oops it's for six months. I dare say a huge chunk of profit is reinstatement of impaired assets from covid. Share price not reflecting maintained growth

MugaB

Coach
Ah yes lets listen to the guy who thinks property purchases go on the p&l or the other guy who thinks revenue and profit are the same thing
Yeah I'm not part of this argument... i just want point out how burnt you're feelin is all...
Keep the rebuttles comin y'all
upload_2020-1-21_9-25-24.gif

Iamback

Coach
Fail. Projected profits for a 6 month period of which they already had the results of the first 3 months. Not even remotely similar

What is harder to predict?

A sport where the contracts are in place and as such the expenses are known or an Airline where fuel prices change monthly, amongst other unknowns

Latest posts