What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

t-ba

Post Whore
Yes, The Daily Mail is shocking but Mike Colman has been around for a long long time. He used to be the editor at the Courier Mail for example and has at least won a Walkley.

Ah yes the Curious Snail.

Colk

First Grade
Ah yes the Curious Snail.

News Limited sucks I agree. That doesn’t mean that everybody who works there is inept or that they can’t write something which is sagacious every now and then.

In any case, is there anything in that article, notwithstanding where it was written, that you disagree with?

Fangs

Coach
They have funding my kids school sports program, despite her never touching an AFL ball... more of that is all good. Even if she is counted as a 'junior'

They'd have to at least try in Sydney. Too big of a market to ignore.

Their problem is that they play an inferior sport.

Colk

First Grade
The silence from Fairfax and news ltd outlets on the issue is unsurprisingly deafening lol

Fairfax have at least criticised him on a few occasions. Why would News Ltd criticise him - although I noticed a few weeks back they were trying to suggest that the Lions were taking over QLD. A little uptick on fumbleball puff pieces coming up I would suggest

t-ba

Post Whore
News Limited sucks I agree. That doesn’t mean that everybody who works there is inept or that they can’t write something which is sagacious every now and then.

In any case, is there anything in that article, notwithstanding where it was written, that you disagree with?

I think the value of money in terms of sports competing with one another is highly overstated and the only real growth I've seen from the AFL comes from stuff like interstate migration and dumb shit like the NRL killing off clubs like Norths and Balmain that were very much so built into the fibre of the areas they are from. Like, it's no coincidence that the Lower North Shore is basically Swans territory and it's got nothing to do with their impressive financial advantage over the NRL.

Personally I just doubt the power of cash in magically turning punters and I'm not really seeing anything to dissuade that from me.

Wb1234

Referee
Well obviously yes. There have been major dents lately that might not buff out.

Also, in the hypothetical alluded to by Steel Saints why is a bloke who ran Walmart in America nonetheless or who is currently running Air NZ a Holden compared to V’Landys Ferrari?
Nah it would probably be a disaster

like Beattie he probably wouldn’t even get the team names right

vlandys has the perfect cv for rugby league

firstly he’s a rugby league men and more importantly ;

he’s taken nsw racing to a level where it has probably surpassed the Melbourne spring racing carnival all on his own.

the biggest thing about rugby league is the politics in it. Outsiders get chewed up and spat out

ignore it all you want but vlanyds has put rugby league back in growth mode. Everyone else was hot air

he will have delivered two new teams in the space of five years

and unlike afl those two teams will add massively to the game

Colk

First Grade
Nah it would probably be a disaster

like Beattie he probably wouldn’t even get the team names right

vlandys has the perfect cv for rugby league

firstly he’s a rugby league men and more importantly ;

he’s taken nsw racing to a level where it has probably surpassed the Melbourne spring racing carnival all on his own.

the biggest thing about rugby league is the politics in it. Outsiders get chewed up and spat on

Greg Foran is Kieran Doran’s father. Somehow I think he knows about the game.

I think the whole RL man thing is massively overstated. We have had that for how many years in our history and look how our game has been run. As a CEO, we need to have who people with commercial experience who knows how to market a brand and has particular expertise in negotiating with key stakeholders. If V’Landys wants to act like a CEO (and he has) than he has failed so badly on the last two points.

Wb1234

Referee
Greg Foran is Kieran Doran’s father. Somehow I think he knows about the game.

I think the whole RL man thing is massively overstated. We have had that for how many years in our history and look how our game has been run. As a CEO, we need to have who people with commercial experience who knows how to market a brand and has particular expertise in negotiating with key stakeholders. If V’Landys wants to act like a CEO (and he has) than he has failed so badly on the last two points.
He couldn’t even handle Forans contract extensions lmao

they’ve got people with extensive experience already on the commission. Do you think they sit there and don’t talk to vlandys ?

Colk

First Grade
He couldn’t even handle Forans contract extensions lmao

they’ve got people with extensive experience already on the commission. Do you think they sit there and don’t talk to vlandys ?

He is not Kieran’s manager. He was managed by Sam Ayoub and now he is with Pacific Sports Management so that point is moot

Does he listen to them though? There are reports that he didn’t listen to Greenberg or Abdo before signing this extension.

In all honesty though, how long are you going to defend him for this absolute f*** up. You call the other bloke a dill yet he and his commission secured a deal over $200m per annum more than V’Landys even though they rate less on TV - how bad does that suggest V’Landys is if the other bloke is so bad.

Wb1234

Referee
He is not Kieran’s manager. He was managed by Sam Ayoub and now he is with Pacific Sports Management so that point is moot

Does he listen to them though? There are reports that he didn’t listen to Greenberg or Abdo before signing this extension.

In all honesty though, how long are you going to defend him for this absolute f*** up. You call the other bloke a dill yet he and his commission secured a deal over $200m per annum more than V’Landys even though they rate less on TV - how bad does that suggest V’Landys is if the other bloke is so bad.
Let’s get your dream team to fix the nrl ;

kalyn pongas dad and foz dad. They both have so much business acumen

you do know there was a commissioner on the arlc from nine who had direct experience with negotiating tv deals ? News ltd poached her to foxtel. It’s not like they aren’t trying

the only commissioner who adds nothing is Pearce. Maybe look at the background of the commission

Iamback

Coach
I think the value of money in terms of sports competing with one another is highly overstated and the only real growth I've seen from the AFL comes from stuff like interstate migration and dumb shit like the NRL killing off clubs like Norths and Balmain that were very much so built into the fibre of the areas they are from. Like, it's no coincidence that the Lower North Shore is basically Swans territory and it's got nothing to do with their impressive financial advantage over the NRL.

Personally I just doubt the power of cash in magically turning punters and I'm not really seeing anything to dissuade that from me.

Spot on

Iamback

Coach
They'd have to at least try in Sydney. Too big of a market to ignore.

Their problem is that they play an inferior sport.

I have no problem with them trying, The high % of islanders here will see it fail but go ahead waste more money

Perth Red

Post Whore

geez you'd better let the millions of companies around the world know that the billions they are spending on marketing doesnt work lol

Colk

First Grade
Let’s get your dream team to fix the nrl ;

kalyn pongas dad and foz dad. They both have so much business acumen

you do know there was a commissioner on the arlc from nine who had direct experience with negotiating tv deals ? News ltd poached her to foxtel. It’s not like they aren’t trying

the only commissioner who adds nothing is Pearce. Maybe look at the background of the commission

When Andre runs Walmart in America or is the CEO of Air NZ then he can join in.

The fact that you try to conflate the two is bizarre or the fact that you aren’t impressed by Foran’s CV but you are impressed by the fact that V’Landys has run NSW racing is really bizarre. Are you really trying to suggest that running NSW Racing is as big as running the biggest supermarket chain in America? Or being the CEO of an airline? That doesn’t mean he would be any good for the game but being good at NSW Racing hasn’t meant that V’Landys has been any good for League either.

Try harder.

That’s great that the commission have good people on the board but how about using them or listening to them

Frailty

First Grade
PVL failed on rule changes, negotiating TV and digital rights, and lobbying government.

His one win is "saving the game from extinction" because of a pandemic which took out ZERO professional sports in Australia.

Wb1234

Referee
When Andre runs Walmart in America or is the CEO of Air NZ then he can join in.

The fact that you try to conflate the two is bizarre or the fact that you aren’t impressed by Foran’s CV but you are impressed by the fact that V’Landys has run NSW racing is really bizarre. Are you really trying to suggest that running NSW Racing is as big as running the biggest supermarket chain in America? Or being the CEO of an airline? That doesn’t mean he would be any good for the game but being good at NSW Racing hasn’t meant that V’Landys has been any good for League either.

Try harder.

That’s great that the commission have good people on the board but how about using them or listening to them
Lmao

vlandys is only the chair

he answers to a board who have all voted on the things he’s done

the nrl is nothing like Walmart

any other crazy ideas ?

or we can stick with the proven performer who has taken a nsw sport already against a Victorian sport and come out an easy winner

t-ba

Post Whore
geez you'd better let the millions of companies around the world know that the billions they are spending on marketing doesnt work lol

If you can't see the difference between a sporting team and a vacuum cleaner in terms of marketing I can't help you mate.

Also, for every success attributed to marketing there are plenty of failures.

Latest posts