What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Iamback

Coach
I think it’s a dumb idea.
Motivated by gambling income alone.
I don’t want it to fail. But I’d rather the NRL spend that money on taking the game to Australian country regions. Like. You know. The people that have got the sport to where it is today.

Yeah but the Australian market is limited by size and changing demographics of heartlands.

The game needs to expand or die

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah but the Australian market is limited by size and changing demographics of heartlands.

The game needs to expand or die
Great sentiment

but being the biggest sport in Australia it would never die

just reach a natural limit which afl reached years ago

luckily League is looking to png and nz for new teams which will hugely expand its footprint

Iamback

Coach
Great sentiment

but being the biggest sport in Australia it would never die

just reach a natural limit which afl reached years ago

luckily League is looking to png and nz for new teams which will hugely expand its footprint

cricket and soccer numbers will increase given where the majority of immigrants are coming from.

Even they have issues with keeping the talent here, afterall there are only the same 25m people to flog products off too

Wb1234

Referee
cricket and soccer numbers will increase given where the majority of immigrants are coming from.

Even they have issues with keeping the talent here, afterall there are only the same 25m people to flog products off too
Population won’t stay at 25 mill

soccer had zero chance of doing anything

Iamback

Coach
Population won’t stay at 25 mill

soccer had zero chance of doing anything

It won't but the majority are coming in from Asia, particularly the cricket playing nations.

A few western Sydney districts run a winter comp to cater for such a need for the game. So you need to look elsewhere

Bukowski

Juniors
It won't but the majority are coming in from Asia, particularly the cricket playing nations.

A few western Sydney districts run a winter comp to cater for such a need for the game. So you need to look elsewhere
I live in a suburb that has had a bit of an Indian surge of immigration. Our local field used to have one cricket pitch and you'd see a game on Saturdays in summer.
It now has 2 cricket fields that get used both days of the weekend all year round. They're mad about cricket.

Chimp

Bench
I see the goalpost are subtly being moved by certain people… originally when the idea of Vegas was first floated, it was a ridiculous pipe dream that would never get off the ground… when it became apparent it’s happening, it changed to ‘it’s a complete waste of money, money that could have been invested better elsewhere, they’re going to lose a fortune on a boys junket to Vegas’… then it was, ‘PVL has his head in the clouds if he thinks US gaming companies would be interested in giving money to NRL’… now, the stance is that it’s got to make hundreds of millions per year and for more than 3 years otherwise everyone has oversold it….
I seem to remember similar gymnastics around PVL saying he’d sort the CBA within 48 hours if the RLPA stopped being dicks….

Maximus

Coach
I see the goalpost are subtly being moved by certain people… originally when the idea of Vegas was first floated, it was a ridiculous pipe dream that would never get off the ground… when it became apparent it’s happening, it changed to ‘it’s a complete waste of money, money that could have been invested better elsewhere, they’re going to lose a fortune on a boys junket to Vegas’… then it was, ‘PVL has his head in the clouds if he thinks US gaming companies would be interested in giving money to NRL’… now, the stance is that it’s got to make hundreds of millions per year and for more than 3 years otherwise everyone has oversold it….
I seem to remember similar gymnastics around PVL saying he’d sort the CBA within 48 hours if the RLPA stopped being dicks….

Those goalposts are being moved by you and your ilk. When you guys claim it is going to make hundreds of millions per year, people are going to respond to that.

Reactions: abc

Iamback

Coach
Those goalposts are being moved by you and your ilk. When you guys claim it is going to make hundreds of millions per year, people are going to respond to that.

Again though there is maybe 1 dope on here saying that

Then of course the media on the gravy train for a free trip to Vegas

You can think it can be a success without thinking it will make hundreds of millions though... plenty of grey in this discussion

Iamback

Coach
I live in a suburb that has had a bit of an Indian surge of immigration. Our local field used to have one cricket pitch and you'd see a game on Saturdays in summer.
It now has 2 cricket fields that get used both days of the weekend all year round. They're mad about cricket.

That is not a surprise, most cities here would be seeing similar.

Not a bad thing just forces some forward thinking

Chimp

Bench
Again though there is maybe 1 dope on here saying that

Then of course the media on the gravy train for a free trip to Vegas

You can think it can be a success without thinking it will make hundreds of millions though... plenty of grey in this discussion
Exactly….

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone on here claim it will makes hundreds of millions, other than the haters, the vast majority of people are saying it’s worth a try, and that they trust PVL will make the best of any opportunity that does exist.
Do I think it will make hundreds of millions? No, probably not… Do I think the NRL will lose money, maybe initially, but I doubt it, as I doubt PVL would agree to it without sufficient ‘break even’ controls.
What I do think is; there’s lots of potential, and PVL has all the right contacts and experience to maximise the possibility of cashing in on that potential - so definitely worth a try, and worth going in with a positive mindset, as worst case scenario, it doesn’t work - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Iamback

Coach
Exactly….

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone on here claim it will makes hundreds of millions, other than the haters, the vast majority of people are saying it’s worth a try, and that they trust PVL will make the best of any opportunity that does exist.
Do I think it will make hundreds of millions? No, probably not… Do I think the NRL will lose money, maybe initially, but I doubt it, as I doubt PVL would agree to it without sufficient ‘break even’ controls.
What I do think is; there’s lots of potential, and PVL has all the right contacts and experience to maximise the possibility of cashing in on that potential - so definitely worth a try, and worth going in with a positive mindset, as worst case scenario, it doesn’t work - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It would be good to add enough US viewers that the package is valuable as an Asia Pacific product to flog to Amazon or someone as a opposed to 600k Australians only watching.

Finally getting their domestic league off the ground and host the RLWC they were awarded are added bonus for a successful trip here.

Timezone hurts for the most part. UFC into the early Sunday game is realistic... getting them watching regularly is needed for the huge money which is unlikely

Wb1234

Referee
Brilliant post calling them out on their bs

Wb1234

Referee
Combat sports are at an all high time in terms of participation and popularity. CTE won't have any effect on the NRL.
Ufc is wildly popular

somehow I think their fighters have a much higher incidence of brain trauma than rugby league players

and ufc is getting bigger and bigger all the time

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Ufc is wildly popular

somehow I think their fighters have a much higher incidence of brain trauma than rugby league players

and ufc is getting bigger and bigger all the time
Yeah there will always be people that are willing to take the risk for the money, the status or love of the game