What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Chimp

Bench
So @Perth Red - I think the main question people really want to put your way… Accepting your view that the Covid TV deal could potentially have been more fruitful for the NRL, overall, are you willing to admit PVL is doing a great job?
Finances are better than ever, expansion has happened succesfully with dolphins, with further expansion in the works, Vegas appears to be an initiative that is going very well.
Can you give PVL the credit most on here believe he deserves?

Iamback

Coach
So @Perth Red - I think the main question people really want to put your way… Accepting your view that the Covid TV deal could potentially have been more fruitful for the NRL, overall, are you willing to admit PVL is doing a great job?
Finances are better than ever, expansion has happened succesfully with dolphins, with further expansion in the works, Vegas appears to be an initiative that is going very well.

The Financial Review said the deal was $450m a year with contra, That the $400m mentioned was cash.

The figures mentioned in the report stacks up with that

Vlad59

Juniors
It will include a backhanded compliment and then a general whinge about how it could have been better, followed by his usual AFL tripe.
Things you missed there by the way include increased participation and endless positive media attention the other code would die for. Add to that our women’s comp which has been carefully manicured and is reaping huge dividends compared with our major competitor who rushed their comp, have an awful standard as a result and dreadful tv ratings as a result as well.
Vlandys has positioned us for a golden decade. He’s made mistakes and can appear bombastic but he’s a winner and we are lucky to have him.

heights

Juniors
As usual you deflect and hide whilst continuing to downplay our achievement compared to theirs. They had a 20 year start on us of a clear national vision and they implemented that without the recent multi million dollar salaries you admire so much. They’ve had a ton of advantages including extra revenue and we are still there breathing down their necks despite Greenberg and gallop. They’ve thrown literally tens of millions of dollars at a media department that spews out puff stories like clock work. For all that you admire about them they can’t get any real traction against us. And at last we have a leader who throws it back at them and you whinge about that. What you’ve done here this afternoon is what everybody predicted. AFL lackey.
Don't forget the Super League war that RL had to contend with that AFL didn't......and the ongoing part ownership of Newscorp with reduced broadcasting rights for years. That was the biggest impediment of all

Wb1234

Referee
Nice post. This administration has had a shed load of issues to fix due to the neglect of previous admins. It’s done quite an extraordinary job in my view. Not perfect but very good. It’s easy to sit behind a key board though and throw shit at them as our mate does. Fact is his analysis is based on a negative bitter agenda. He’s not very good at it as a result.
Thing is previous admins couldn’t stand up to the clubs or guys like gould

the clubs were vehemently opposed to expansion

vlandys got it done regardless

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Thing is previous admins couldn’t stand up to the clubs or guys like gould

the clubs were vehemently opposed to expansion

vlandys got it done regardless
I am going to play devils advocate here but one could argue a second team in Brisbane ie Dolphins is hardly expansion. I'm no fan of the Broncos in fact I detest them with a passion but let's think about it here all the Dolphins have done is eat into Brisbane's fanbase in the north.

Vlad59

Juniors
I am going to play devils advocate here but one could argue a second team in Brisbane ie Dolphins is hardly expansion. I'm no fan of the Broncos in fact I detest them with a passion but let's think about it here all the Dolphins have done is eat into Brisbane's fanbase in the north.
Dolphins are consolidation. Perth is expansion

Wb1234

Referee
Broncos crowds and membership are up massively

As is their profit

dolphins have caused a boom in qld (not just Brisbane)

Was there a drop in Broncos home crowds last season?
What the Dolphins have done is eat into the fumbleball Kittens junior playing base, as predicted by some posters on bigfooty, when some fumbleball fans tried to laugh off the Dolphins admission into the NRL.

The_Wookie

Bench
What the Dolphins have done is eat into the fumbleball Kittens junior playing base, as predicted by some posters on bigfooty, when some fumbleball fans tried to laugh off the Dolphins admission into the NRL.

The Brisbane Broncos have nrecorded a net profit after tax for the 31 December 2023 financial year of $5,631,793 compared to $3,233,336 in 2022. Profit before tax for the 2023 and 2022 financial years were $8,305,222 and $4,748,598 respectively

Sponsorship revenue increased 3.3%, reflecting extended partnerships, the expanded 2023 NRLW season and the Group’s ability to deliver contractual game day benefits.

The support from our corporate partner family over the 2023 season was exceptional. Total membership, ticketing, corporate sales and game day revenue increased 35.3% to $23,249,764 (2022: $17,177,715).
Home game attendance increased 15.2%, with crowds averaging 33,793 (2022: 29,343).

In the 2023 season, three NRL games were played at the Gabba due to Suncorp Stadium being unavailable during the Women’s soccer World Cup. This resulted in a Suncorp Stadium average crowd of 36,008 and Gabba average crowd of 27,151.

Total 2023 membership numbers increased to 47,346 (2022: 36,800) with ticketed membership numbers increasing to 37,916 (2022: 25,132) and non-ticketed membership numbers decreasing to 9,430 (2022: 11,668).

Merchandise sales revenue increased 121.3% to $3,738,016 from $1,688,788 in 2022. Contributing factors to increased sales included improved supply chain conditions and the 2023 finals series.

NRL merchandise royalty revenue increased to $892,365 from $520,230 in 2022, with the NRL remitting royalty revenue from applicable licensees on 2023 season sales.

The grant received from the NRL increased 21.0%, in line with the NRL Club Agreement, expanded NRLW season and associated NRLW grant funding.

Game development and pathways revenue increased to $1,501,156, up from $987,385. In addition, there was an increase in government funding (cost recovery revenue) for community programs recognised in 2023, for the Beyond the Broncos Girls Academy and Careers Club community programs

The_Wookie

Bench

I havent seen any data on this yet. Its entirely possible that theyve created their own particpants without eating into anybody elses.

What I don’t understand is the constant negativity surrounding the extended tv deal.
yes it’s not ideal .
& please correct me if I’m wrong .,But IIRC when the comp was halted at the start of covid it was renegotiate or be in breach of contract for failing to supply the product?
We had very little $$$ to see us through an unknown length of a shutdown period.
So they renegotiated from a very weak position .
Hence the deal we ended up with .
Breach of contract or new deal.

& as anyone knows who has been in negotiations for $$$ EBAs or similar .
you must have something to offer in exchange for more $$.

we had very very little.

im sure PR will put his own spin on it but I’d love to see what he would negotiate with.

Vlad59

Juniors
I havent seen any data on this yet. Its entirely possible that theyve created their own particpants without eating into anybody elses.
There was definitely an increase in rugby league participation in Brisbane. But if we are being serious we should be happy with any data showing increases in any sport’s participation this day and age.

Vlad59

Juniors
What I don’t understand is the constant negativity surrounding the extended tv deal.
yes it’s not ideal .
& please correct me if I’m wrong .,But IIRC when the comp was halted at the start of covid it was renegotiate or be in breach of contract for failing to supply the product?
We had very little $$$ to see us through an unknown length of a shutdown period.

we had very very little.

im sure PR will put his own spin on it but I’d love to see what he would negotiate with.
People have short memories (when it suits them)

The_Wookie

Bench
yes it’s not ideal .

we had very very little.

The issue is the AFL was in the same position, and copped similar cuts over the 2020-2022 period, and got similar increases for the 2 years to 23-24 - but still only extended for 2 years, where the NRL went for 7, and went to tender for the following years, instead of just handing it to the incumbents - because somebody had to protect the broadcasters - thats not a joke, it was part of Vlandys reasoning

The issue is the AFL was in the same position, and copped similar cuts over the 2020-2022 period, and got similar increases for the 2 years to 23-24 - but still only extended for 2 years, where the NRL went for 7, and went to tender for the following years, instead of just handing it to the incumbents - because somebody had to protect the broadcasters - thats not a joke, it was part of Vlandys reasoning
But the AFL had $$$$ in reserve ,we had none.
They also took out a loan .
they were in a far better position than RL

The_Wookie

Bench
But the AFL had $$$$ in reserve ,we had none.
They also took out a loan .
they were in a far better position than RL

Yes, the AFL had Marvel and were able to leverage that for a 600m line of credit - which they evidently barely touched.

Also frittered away 60 odd million in cash reserves. The NRL had thrown away their reserve years before.

Latest posts