What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Wallace

Big Pete

Referee
Ennis wasn't there in 2009 at the back end of the season. Wallace was in career best form before the ankle injury against the Dragons.

I'd rate his 08 form over that mixed run.

Macca was playing pretty well round that time too.

Slammin

Juniors
I'm amazed at the Wallace support here. But the common theme of that support is constant excuses made up for Wallace. So you do accept he is playing sh*t but you are too in love with him to directly admit it.

Wallace is an excellent defender for a hb, however that is his only good quality. Only HB worse than him is Orford (however I think Wallace could be the worse only if you took Lockyer out of the team and Wallace was left to direct the team).

But of course he played some games for NSW, the coaches changed, isle 3 was out of his favourite tin food, and it is unfair to expect a decent half because we have been spoiled with some of the greats so we should all be happy with a below average HB for the last 2 years and currently the 2nd worse in the league.

YAY Go Wallace!!!!!

beads6

First Grade
I'd rate his 08 form over that mixed run.

Macca was playing pretty well round that time too.

Yeah either way his runs of form have been short lived but pretty bloody good, I guess that is why we are so hard on him. We know what he is capable of.

Dazzat

First Grade
*cough*Israel Folau*cough*

Interesting ... last year Brisbane had the best record through Origin in the club's history played mostly without Folou ... but of course Wallace can't take any credit for that can he.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Interesting ... last year Brisbane had the best record through Origin in the club's history played mostly without Folou ... but of course Wallace can't take any credit for that can he.

No he can't ........

the bye in Rd 11 can.

Dazzat

First Grade
It's amazing what perception does. I've watched some North Queensland games, and to be honest, Jonathon Thurston has been quite ordinary. I thought Mitchell Pearce was average in last weekend's game for the Roosters. Yet the media hype around them persists regardless.

I can think of only three halfbacks in the league who I consider are better (consistently) than Wallace - Thurston, Cronk and Pearce. Prince is currently struggling but is a class player ... should the Gold Coast get rid of him?

The thing that sets Wallace apart for me is his guts. He is consistently the first tackle after a downtown. He tackles big forward without fear. Guts and commitment are the foundational attribute of all great players.

Last tackle options are not just about the halfback (inside balls need inside runners and kicks need chasers) and they are a gamble. Sometimes they come off and sometimes they don't. I've seen Thurston and Cronk come up with plenty of clunkers as well.

Wallace has all the attributes and will be the Broncos halfback or 5/8 for a long time. So get used to it girls ... and do yourself a favour. Enjoy being on top of the ladder.

Dazzat

First Grade
No he can't ........

the bye in Rd 11 can.

You are wrong ... please refer to the recent interview with Ivan Henjak who explains the record breaking year during Origin last year.

Don't let the facts cloud your one-eyed Alfie glasses.

Mr Fourex

Bench
You are wrong ... please refer to the recent interview with Ivan Henjak who explains the record breaking year during Origin last year.

Don't let the facts cloud your one-eyed Alfie glasses.

I was looking at and you had referred to the origin period without Folou......

SOO 1: R 11 - BYE

SOO 2: R 14 - 50 -22 over Souths

SOO 3: R 17 - 14 - 16 Tigers

Dazzat

First Grade
Just watching a replay of the Broncos/Gold Coast game. Wallace played a great game ... great organisation of the team, good passing game ... played better in terms of setting up teams mates than Lockyer.

What I found pleasing was the performance of a Gold Coast player - Steve Michaels. Michaels was bagged so much on these forums despite the fact that he was coming back from knee surgery (that means nothing does it ...). The kick return where Michaels beat Hodges and ran 40 metres upfield ... amazing speed. The try he scored before half time ... amazing speed and a great little kick and chase ...

Don't you love it when someone shows their true ability and sticks it up the knockers, the baggers and the whingers?

Oh ... sorry ... apparently you lot don't. You'd rather bag your own players for not being perfect all the time, 100% of the time.

Dazzat

First Grade
Gillett has been below his best this year ... a patch on last year's performance.

Sack him I say!

Big Pete

Referee
Wallace played well against the Titans but 'great'? Maybe by your standards but by mine the term 'great' is reserved for performances like Todd Carney's against Brisbane last year.

Gillett does need to be benched.

NFI

Juniors
shoulder surgery is not the same as a broken fingernail. stop dismissing such a serious effect that has on any persons ability to perform as "just excuses". Wallace has been below par for too long, but he does have the talent and potential (we have all seen it, albeit too long ago)
He OBVIOUSLY needs to show it again soon and I can't wait to see it.
He does seem to get bagged quick when he is down but ignored (overlooked) when he is good.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Excuses thus far for Peter Wallace;

• having an experienced backline to lean on (allowed him to play well)
  • having an inexperienced backline to not lean on (played like sh*t...the backline sucks)
  • having to play with injury
  • having off season shoulder surgery
  • having the broncos sack their coach pre season kick off 2011
  • having Darren Lockyer "holding" him back (the most ridiculous of all)
  • having to play behind a weak forward pack
  • having poor service from dummy half
  • doesn't have good enough inside runners and or kick chasers
  • gets ignored or overlooked when he plays well
  • Broncos fans expect too much of him

I'm sure I've missed a few .......

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Gillett has been below his best this year ... a patch on last year's performance.

Sack him I say!

Poor comparison.

Gillette is in only his second year of first grade. The expectations are far less than on Wallace. Think about who is getting paid a sh!t load more.

Oh, and Gillette (and Hoffman for that matter) managed to shine in a team that were beaten in the forwards last season. Which was one of your excuses as to why Wallace was allowed to play well under par last season.

Not saying that Wallace is a bad player. Just saying he needs to do more given his pay packet and seniority.

andrew057

First Grade
Im as harsh a critic as there is on Wallace, but I think hes been pretty good so far this season.

Ben Hunt should still be the halfback for the Broncos future, I just hope they dont lose him because of Wallace.

skaines

Juniors
Im as harsh a critic as there is on Wallace, but I think hes been pretty good so far this season.

Ben Hunt should still be the halfback for the Broncos future, I just hope they dont lose him because of Wallace.

Pretty good this season?

He has done nothing with the ball, kicked away a good chance at winning in the cowboys game.

Best game for him all year has been the Panthers, even then it wasnt anything awesome.

andrew057

First Grade
Pretty good this season?

He has done nothing with the ball, kicked away a good chance at winning in the cowboys game.

Best game for him all year has been the Panthers, even then it wasnt anything awesome.

Comapred to his performances last season, Id say hes been pretty good.