What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PHaC and Crowe want to "Blow up the Pokies"

_Johnsy

Referee
Smeg,

Verty true, the biggest issue clubs will face is the initial decision to bite the bullett and forge ahead, that is if it is successfull. Or clubs will more likely do what the titans have done with the titanium bar, a club without pokies, more a social meeting plac on weekends, after/before/during games etc. I imagine if clubs can maximise both revenue streams, they will.

Dogaholic

First Grade
I think that it will work for inner city clubs.

I don't think it would work out west though.

_Johnsy

Referee
Dogaholic said:
I think that it will work for inner city clubs.

I don't think it would work out west though.

Mate I think it all depends how it is done, you need to cater for your current customers/members and the new demographic you want to appeal to. Will be interesting to see how many other clubs give it a run if it is successfull. But, by the time it is successfull, they may have missed the boat. Bearing this in mind it is a huge financial risk by rusty and phac. Godd luck to'em

yobbo84

Coach
Brilliant idea. The lost money is not only going to come from other revenue streams within the League's club itself, but also from the rent of the upper and lower levels of the building that they will be renting to a supermarket and corporate offices. This rent will sky rocket in the coming years too.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
wow,

These people will just stop using pokies, they won't just go elsewhere.

Like the local soccer or AFL club or even a Leagues club not far away.

Na they will just stop.

Garts

Bench
I hope I am wrong but I just can not see it working. I dont think they will be able to make up all the revenue the pokies provide.

Wheelsy said:
Hope you like that one, Souths haters.

Its wankers like you that are the reason people hate Souths get over your ego mate and quit bragging and playing the hard done by card.

People respect a battler not a whinger.

_Johnsy

Referee
Mr Angry said:
wow,

Na they will just stop.

It's not about the club making them stop, they don't like the idea of depending on the revenue from pokies, from which a large % would come from people with a gambling addcition. If the person decides to gamble elsewhere, then so be it, but the club does not want to "prey" on these types of people, especially if they are using a decent chuunk of their centrelink payments, as reported. Surprised this needed to be explained.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Mr Angry said:
wow,

Na they will just stop.

Hey, lets just let people deal heroin outside Redfern station, after all the jukies will just get it somewshere else if we don't, right?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yes lets compare illegal products with completely legal ones.

Yes junkies are currently a revenue stream league has that other sports clubs do not.

If russ wants the money to go elsewhere and support alternative products to his own, so be it.

Why just pokies?

Is the TAB banned what about betting on Souths games?

_Johnsy

Referee
Maybe the figures at souths show much more people are using pokies, and it is having a massive social impact. Heaven forbid a club tries do do something positive.

Probably whay scumnulla have been sitting in a swamp, flat broke, their entire life.

Dogaholic

First Grade
SpaceMonkey said:
Hey, lets just let people deal heroin outside Redfern station, after all the jukies will just get it somewshere else if we don't, right?

I am sure Joey has more than 1 dealer.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Mr Angry said:
Yes lets compare illegal products with completely legal ones.

Yes junkies are currently a revenue stream league has that other sports clubs do not.

If russ wants the money to go elsewhere and support alternative products to his own, so be it.

Why just pokies?

Is the TAB banned what about betting on Souths games?

Maybe because for a club that is trying to forge an image as being strongly involved in and supportive of it's local community it's probably not appropriate for a large chunk of it's income to be seen coming from problem gamblers? The company I work for have a policy of not allowing our products to be used in promotions that are associated with gambling, alcohol or tobacco products, simply because we don't believe the negative brand association is good for our brand image, PHaC is trying to acheive something similar at Souths.

jimmyo

Juniors
Wow it's an impressive move if it happens. I'd like to see Dennis Fitzgerald do something constructive like this instead of calling our next opponents chokers. I think SS just became my 2nd fav team.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Woods99 said:
If this move works out, I will apply for membership of both the leagues club and the football club, and will retain both whilever poker machines are banned.

No you won't, your kind aren't welcome in Rugby League circles.

yobbo84

Coach
http://www.souths.com.au/fanzone/viewnewsarticle.asp?ArticleID=2161

Peter Holmes à Court clarifies his position on having no poker machines in Redfern

South Sydney Football Club Executive Chairman Peter Holmes à Court has expressed a view that poker machines should not be a part of the redeveloped Chalmers St Building which will house the new South Sydney Leagues Club. It is a stance supported by both co-owner of the Rabbitohs Russell Crowe and the Football Club’s CEO Shane Richardson.

Mr Holmes à Court has said that poker machines have their place in society but he believes there is scope for the Club to run profitably without the machines, points with which Mr Richardson agrees.

“At the end of the day this is a decision for the Leagues Club board, however I think it is a great social attitude to have and I concur that poker machines have no place in Redfern,” Mr Richardson said.

“We’re building a Football Club around community projects through Souths Cares that is based on sporting heroes. Poker machines just don’t fit in with the healthy lifestyle messages we are trying to promote through our Club.

“South Sydney Leagues Club has not been in a position to make community grants for a long time and we believe that with this fresh approach and stronger business plan the Leagues Club will be in position to support its community once again.”

Mr Holmes à Court has said that Redfern is not an appropriate location or social environment for poker machines.

“I believe Redfern is not a good place for poker machines,” Mr Holmes à Court said.

“Gaming has a place, however in areas with low wages and high unemployment I think it is socially irresponsible to have the machines operating in this environment.

“I would like to see a Souths Club that doesn’t need to rely on poker machines to operate and I know that Russell [Crowe] shares the same opinion. In fact I think the Club will operate better without the machines.
“The Board of South Sydney Leagues Club will make the ultimate decision on poker machines but we look forward to working with them to create a vibrant, family friendly environment in Chalmers St.”

Peter Holmes à Court has clarified his position on SSFC-TV. Visit the official South Sydney website at www.souths.com.au to watch the video.

sooperdooper

First Grade
_Johnsy said:
Smeg,

Verty true, the biggest issue clubs will face is the initial decision to bite the bullett and forge ahead, that is if it is successfull. Or clubs will more likely do what the titans have done with the titanium bar, a club without pokies, more a social meeting plac on weekends, after/before/during games etc. I imagine if clubs can maximise both revenue streams, they will.

titanium has pokies...its main focus is a cocktail bar and it attracts alot of locals