What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PHaC and Crowe want to "Blow up the Pokies"

I hope for everyones sake they pull it off.
I would like to see it extended to most pubs especially the inner city ones.
The pokies have killed so many band venues in this state it sh*ts me.

Timbo

Staff member
My thoughts on this are PHAC and big Russ have thrown and idea out there that everyone will love but has zilch chance of getting up just so they can look good.

It has zilch chance of getting up because the Leagues club would lose an astonishing amount of money if it did, and the decision rests with the leagues club, not with Russ and PHAC.

And finally, anyone who thinks this will stop people on welfare pissing away their money, pull your heads in wont you? There a bajillion pubs-all with pokies-within walking distance of SSLC, where do you think the pokie players will go if Souths nix theirs? Not to the bistro at the new club, thats for sure.

rabbitoharry

Juniors
yakstorm said:
Souths Leagues is possibly the easiest Leagues club affiliated with a NRL team to remove the pokies from simply for the fact, the machines at the club have a very low patronage.

As the SMH version of the article states:

The club currently only earns $1.8 million from pokies. Minus taxes, servicing, security plus any other costs they are possibly returning less than a million a year from the things.

Now I'm not at all saying that replacing that million worth of revenue is easy, but it certainly is a lot more realistic to remove the pokie dependency for Souths than say Parramatta, Easts, Canterbury or Penrith who earn huge multi-million dollar figures from their machines.

Its good to see PHaC and Rusty have seen this and realise not only is their a huge amount of goodwill they can earn from taking a 'no-pokie' approach, but that it isn't fiscal suicide what they are doing.

Very good point mate - An average "family Restaurant" with 100 seats can profit a few million dollars a year for starters . Don't forget PHAC's speciality is putting on a stageshow ;-)

bobmar28

Bench
SpaceMonkey said:
As opposed to a venue for people on welfare to blow their $$ on pokies? Sounds good to me.
How about a venue where low income people can afford the food and entertainment. Without pokies Souths leagues will never be able to subsidise food and entertainment the way clubs around here do.

bobmar28

Bench
Babyface O'reilly said:
I hope for everyones sake they pull it off.
I would like to see it extended to most pubs especially the inner city ones.
The pokies have killed so many band venues in this state it sh*ts me.
My local club subsidises entertainment to the tune of millions of dollars a year, there's a band venue for you.

bobmar28

Bench
_Johnsy said:
Smeg

If it is successfull, I dont see why it should not become a blueprint for other clubs. If clubs can become finiancially viable without pokie $$ it can only be a good thing.
Tell me what is good about the high prices for food and entertainment that will be necessary without the pokie revenue subsidy.

bobmar28

Bench
m0j0 said:
Here's one Roosters fan applauding the move (as much as it kills me to say so).
I'm sure you can afford to chip in the odd million dollars when the leagues club subsidy dries up. Or is relocation just around the corner?

j5o6hn

Juniors
At least they seem to have an idea of getting away from the pokies,as the Govt needs more money who are the gonna bleed, the pokies thats who.
The clubs will reduce their grants,at least RC and H aCourt are trying to get away from the dependence on pokie money,and I hope get members outside the Leagues club like the AFL does,I hope they win

drake

First Grade
I love the Dragons, I have since I was a wee bairn.

That said, the Rabbitohs club, management... everything is so far ahead of my club it's depressing.

bobmar28

Bench
_Johnsy said:
It's not about the club making them stop, they don't like the idea of depending on the revenue from pokies, from which a large % would come from people with a gambling addcition. If the person decides to gamble elsewhere, then so be it, but the club does not want to "prey" on these types of people, especially if they are using a decent chuunk of their centrelink payments, as reported. Surprised this needed to be explained.
A large percent from people with a gambling addiction? According to statistics mentioned on radio yesterday that is 1%.

drake

First Grade
bobmar28 said:
A large percent from people with a gambling addiction? According to statistics mentioned on radio yesterday that is 1%.
May not be a large percenatge, but that's still 200000 legally destroying their lives to the governments financial benefit.

gees a bit harsh isn't it south supporters dream of winning big money so they can move to the eastern suburbs - what hope will they have now :sarcasm:

what happened to personal responsibility?? - more than ever 3 years compulsory military/national service is required for all 18 year olds and 2 to 4 weeks a year for all others upto the age of 65.

If people have time on their hands to waste money they have time for military/national service- also those on welfare should be working for it out in the farming areas to assist farmers etc during this drought period. The USSRAP will make it compulsory that welfare recipients work and that work is compulsory for all.

bobmar28

Bench
jimmyo said:
Wow it's an impressive move if it happens. I'd like to see Dennis Fitzgerald do something constructive like this instead of calling our next opponents chokers. I think SS just became my 2nd fav team.
I'm a member of Mounties. Why don't you go to your clubs annual meeting and vote to reject Mounties sponsorship?

Muffdaddy

Juniors
I hate Souths. Normally with every fibre of my being. Its part of being a Rooster.
But not as much any more. PHaC and Crowe are doing good stuff so its harder to hate them as much.
I hope this works out for them and other clubs are able to follow suit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
West Coast Eagles don't have a leagues clubs or pokies and are one of the most profitable sports clubs in Australia. It can be done other ways but means clubs actually having to work for it rather than get handouts from social misery.

shiznit

Coach
perhaps the federal govt could give an incentive to clubs/orginizations that go without pokies? give them a tax break perhaps??

Carlito

Juniors
shiznit said:
perhaps the federal govt could give an incentive to clubs/orginizations that go without pokies? give them a tax break perhaps??
I doubt this is something the government would support. They make alot of money out of the pokies too.

It's like cigarettes, everyone knows they're bad for you, but the revenue they generate for alot of people means they will never be banned.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Carlito said:
I doubt this is something the government would support. They make alot of money out of the pokies too.

It's like cigarettes, everyone knows they're bad for you, but the revenue they generate for alot of people means they will never be banned.

That's not the reason. CIgarettes cost governments more in treating their health related illnesses than the revenue they receive from them.