What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

phil gould attacks the broncos' salary cap

Kiwi

First Grade
realredhillboy said:
kris_man said:
I think Gould made a very good point, however it is ironic coming from a Roosters official. I think both the Broncos and the Roosters are very suspicious regarding their player payments. But self-interest governs just about all thoughts (that's why it's so hard to find a Roosters or Broncos fan who admits that something is suss: self interest), and self-interest can usually be fed with money, which is what the Roosters have.
My brother's a mad Roosters fan, and he admits that the Roosters are suspicious, but I guess he's the exception. Most other fans are too pig-headed and self-centred to see beyond the interests of their own club.
i'll be the first to admit the roosters seem suspicious! and if they are rorting the cap fine they should pay dearly. but i just believe its hypocritical for broncos fans to have a go at the roosters for being rich and alledgly rorting the cap. its the pot calling the kettle black. i'm sure if the broncos were well over the cap their narrowminded fans would still defend them. i'm sure they also have a little protection from news ltd. i saw lachlan murdoch getting cozy with bennett, that made me hate em even more.

If the Broncos are over the cap, or found to be, then I would support almost ANY action taken by the NRL to punish them accordingly. Obviously I wouldn't agree with a punishment that killed the club, or could kill it.

And if I've said it once I've said it a thousand times, loyalty is cheaper to develop and grow like the Broncos do than it is to buy like the Roosters do.

realredhillboy

Juniors
Kiwi said:
realredhillboy said:
kris_man said:
I think Gould made a very good point, however it is ironic coming from a Roosters official. I think both the Broncos and the Roosters are very suspicious regarding their player payments. But self-interest governs just about all thoughts (that's why it's so hard to find a Roosters or Broncos fan who admits that something is suss: self interest), and self-interest can usually be fed with money, which is what the Roosters have.
My brother's a mad Roosters fan, and he admits that the Roosters are suspicious, but I guess he's the exception. Most other fans are too pig-headed and self-centred to see beyond the interests of their own club.
i'll be the first to admit the roosters seem suspicious! and if they are rorting the cap fine they should pay dearly. but i just believe its hypocritical for broncos fans to have a go at the roosters for being rich and alledgly rorting the cap. its the pot calling the kettle black. i'm sure if the broncos were well over the cap their narrowminded fans would still defend them. i'm sure they also have a little protection from news ltd. i saw lachlan murdoch getting cozy with bennett, that made me hate em even more.

If the Broncos are over the cap, or found to be, then I would support almost ANY action taken by the NRL to punish them accordingly. Obviously I wouldn't agree with a punishment that killed the club, or could kill it.

And if I've said it once I've said it a thousand times, loyalty is cheaper to develop and grow like the Broncos do than it is to buy like the Roosters do.

good reply
but remember the original 1988 broncos team? a team that was almost packed to the hilt with brisbane based soo players? i hope your not saying wally,gene, greg dowling and the others chose to play for the broncos out of admiration and respect for bennett, they bought that team for peanuts from a very strong club competition and nearly killed it in the process. in other words they poached those players. and still haven't given back............ even though i'm not a toowoomba fan i think it was unfair that the broncos took the bulk of their talent from an important knockout semi final to play a un - important round match [broncos are allready in the finals"] i think the broncos should have their own reserve grade team in the queensland cup and various grades and ages down to u/8's i'm sure that their are a lot of young players in the the actual brissie area who would love to run on in a broncos jersey.

Kiwi

First Grade
realredhillboy said:
Kiwi said:
realredhillboy said:
kris_man said:

good reply
but remember the original 1988 broncos team? a team that was almost packed to the hilt with brisbane based soo players? i hope your not saying wally,gene, greg dowling and the others chose to play for the broncos out of admiration and respect for bennett, they bought that team for peanuts from a very strong club competition and nearly killed it in the process. in other words they poached those players. and still haven't given back............ even though i'm not a toowoomba fan i think it was unfair that the broncos took the bulk of their talent from an important knockout semi final to play a un - important round match [broncos are allready in the finals"] i think the broncos should have their own reserve grade team in the queensland cup and various grades and ages down to u/8's i'm sure that their are a lot of young players in the the actual brissie area who would love to run on in a broncos jersey.

So tell me, in 1988 the Broncos were gonna put a side together how without signing players? After all it was their first year. Seriously thats just a pathetic arguement.

As for Toowoomba, thats the deal they have with the Broncos, They get Broncos players, and supply players to the Broncos when needed or deserving of a chance. The fact that BOTH the Broncos and Toowoomba have both had a horror run with injuries of late is just plain bad luck. To have a dig at the Broncos because they have to use players from their feeder/reserve club just shows you have a chip on your shoulder, nothing more.

Krison

Juniors
I could be wrong here, but Motu Tony was released at the start of the year, and he was there on a few hundred thousand, so when he was released, wouldnt that free up a chunk under the salary cap for the Broncos???

Razor

Coach
I could be wrong here, but Motu Tony was released at the start of the year, and he was there on a few hundred thousand, so when he was released, wouldnt that free up a chunk under the salary cap for the Broncos???

No because Tony was apparently only on less than $60k for the year.

STSAE

Juniors
kris_man said:

Work it out on rep players past and present at each club for this and next year. SOO or INTLS only.
Easts 13 rep players this year
Brisbane 16 rep players this year
Easts lose Fittler, Hodges, Hegarty 3 rep players
Brisbane lose De Vere and Tallis (except when he feels like doing an Ikin) and lost Tony
Easts gain 0 rep players
Brisbane gain back Hodges and Thorne (on top of Carroll this year) 2 rep players
Next year Brisbane will use 15 rep players, Easts 10.
But you can bet Easts will be over the cap!!
And everyone will make a comeback for Brisbane for free!!
Thats "pig headed ""self interest" and "self centered" enough for ya!!
Oh the irony of it all.

:lol: :lol:

Chook

First Grade
3 ex State of Origin players on $100 a game?

I can just imagine the howls of content and disgust had this been tried by the Roosters? The claims of brown paper bag dealings?

Gus should mind his own business in my opinion, and this forum needs to get new material. I come here for the first time since last week and five of the first six threads are about the Roosters :lol:

And you think WE'RE obsessed? :lol: :lol:

Chook.

Kiwi

First Grade
STSAE said:
Work it out on rep players past and present at each club for this and next year. SOO or INTLS only.
Easts 13 rep players this year
Brisbane 16 rep players this year
Easts lose Fittler, Hodges, Hegarty 3 rep players
Brisbane lose De Vere and Tallis (except when he feels like doing an Ikin) and lost Tony
Easts gain 0 rep players
Brisbane gain back Hodges and Thorne (on top of Carroll this year) 2 rep players
Next year Brisbane will use 15 rep players, Easts 10.
But you can bet Easts will be over the cap!!
And everyone will make a comeback for Brisbane for free!!
Thats "pig headed ""self interest" and "self centered" enough for ya!!
Oh the irony of it all.

Actually if you are counting PAST and present rep players the Broncos have more had than 15 this year, if you want to include Tony AND Smith aswell who are no longer at the club.

Shaun Berrigan
Carroll
Carlaw
Petero
Webcke
Lockyer
Devere
Parker
Tate

Former rep players

Meyers
Kelly
Green
Ikin
Webb
Tallis

No longer at club but played a couple of games this year

Tony
Smith

Thats 17 this year, but one could hardly call a fair few of the former and departed of rep quality anymore. Next year if Tallis retires 6 wont be at the club, being replaced by two former players who want to come back. Giving us 13 next year, if Hunt doesn't play rep footy before then. Try and get the numbers right.

Nugby

Juniors
I don't know that Brisbane has much choice in the matter and if these guys wanted to show some loyalty or just get a taste of first grade again then good on them. Get that up ya Gould :lol:

SaintArsenal

Juniors
I'm not too sure wether the Broncos are rorting the system or not, but I know that Gould is the last person that anyone is ever going to take note of when it comes to salary cap issues.Simply becuase of his links with the Roosters.

Although I do remember rumours of Broncos players getting discounted land on the sunshine coast when I was living in Brissy.

How the hell can you ever prove these things true though.

rossy

Juniors
I know that Gould is the last person that anyone is ever going to take note of when it comes to salary cap issues.Simply becuase of his links with the Roosters.

And why is that? Because a bunch of kids on a forum think that the Roosters have been over the cap? I'll be very interested in your response to this one.

nqboy

First Grade
Smith is about a million years old and has been out of top level league for how long? Likewise Green. Ikin is on one leg. What's Phool Gould's point?

And who gives a shit what he thinks anyway?

Grantwhy

Juniors
rossy said:
I know that Gould is the last person that anyone is ever going to take note of when it comes to salary cap issues.Simply becuase of his links with the Roosters.

And why is that? Because a bunch of kids on a forum think that the Roosters have been over the cap? I'll be very interested in your response to this one.

No.

Because, when Chris Walker 'retired' from Souths he was on something like $200,000-$300,000 taking that up in Souths Salary Cap.

Even though Walker retired and Souths paid him out, the money paid to him (over half? of his contracted payments for that year) would of counted in Souths Salary Cap.

The Roosters then signed Walker on about $45,000 to play for them for the rest of that season (taking up that much of the Roosters Salary Cap).

Because Walker has already been paid something like 3 time that by Souths for that year (a *BIG GUESS BY ME -- NO, NO PROOF :p*), takeing such a small amount (compared to what he would be worth on the open marked) was a viable option (and the increased payments the following years would bring his contract closer to what he'd normally get).

When Gould points a finger at the Broncos use of 'paid out/retired' players he isn't saying it a dodgy practice. He is saying "Kettle".

Although there is a difference - Walker was still a young player without major injury concerns.

Ikin's retired due to injuries (there's no way I could see him playing in the NRL full time).

Smith & Green are at the age when people are surprised they still play and Green has also have more than his share of injuries.

I doubt there is any NRL club that would consider signing any of these 3 to a Contract. (or any English Club either :lol:).

rossy

Juniors
Walker did not retire. His contract with Souths was terminated by both sides of the agreement mutually. That made him a free agent. He had no ties with the Roosters and he was not coerced into quitting Souths by the club. He was actually approached by the majority of the clubs but settled with the Roosters.

Look, it was a nice try but I guess you're still in high school, aren't you? Unfortunately, you're not really across the real issue here and it shows. You're just embarking on a Rooster bashing exercise because you've been led astray by some of the other posters here. You seem like a nice kid. Just try to think for yourself before you post next time, ok?

Grantwhy

Juniors
oh - I'm sorry - all those stories in the media about how unhappy Walker was and that he wanted to quite football must have been all in my imagination :lol:.

Souths didn't get Walker to sign a clause saying he couldn't play for another NRL Club for the rest of the year (apparently a comon practice when a player is released early in a season) because, to their regret (and stupidity) they believed Walker was retireing from football. (this Souths/Walker release error is a good reason why Parramatta are being so hard on Lyon trying to move to another club).

Rooster bashing? I just saw a stronger case for what Gould was implying happening at the Roosters previously than currently happening at the Broncos :).

Razor

Coach
oh - I'm sorry - all those stories in the media about how unhappy Walker was and that he wanted to quite football must have been all in my imagination

He never said that. He said he wanted to play for a top club in inner-Sydney so he could live near his partner

STSAE

Juniors
nqboy said:
Smith is about a million years old and has been out of top level league for how long? Likewise Green. Ikin is on one leg. What's Phool Gould's point?

And who gives a sh*t what he thinks anyway?

Smith played "that test" last year for Australia in England.
Green retired last year I think?? He was asked by Bennett to "help out", I saw him say it on NRL on FOX a few weeks ago.
Ikin retired last year, after playing Origin to start pre season training in the QLD cup.
I bet we add Gordons name next year!!

Goulds point is simple. These players are all former rep players who have "retired" (remember their howls when Freddy played Origin after once retiering??) but now come back for free almost to help Wayne out in times of need.
Other clubs have to bring up inexpierenced youngsters who are counted against the secondry cap, which out of sydney teams dont seem to have. I know both Easts and St George at least have been knocked back from using a rookie because of the secondry cap.

Brisbane use ex-rep players (from last year).

Rules for some??

Kiwi

First Grade
STSAE said:
nqboy said:

And who gives a sh*t what he thinks anyway?

Smith played "that test" last year for Australia in England.
Green retired last year I think?? He was asked by Bennett to "help out", I saw him say it on NRL on FOX a few weeks ago.
Ikin retired last year, after playing Origin to start pre season training in the QLD cup.
I bet we add Gordons name next year!!

Goulds point is simple. These players are all former rep players who have "retired" (remember their howls when Freddy played Origin after once retiering??) but now come back for free almost to help Wayne out in times of need.
Other clubs have to bring up inexpierenced youngsters who are counted against the secondry cap, which out of sydney teams dont seem to have. I know both Easts and St George at least have been knocked back from using a rookie because of the secondry cap.

Brisbane use ex-rep players (from last year).

Rules for some??

A Roosters fan talking about rules for some :lol: :lol:

And isn't there a secondary 300,000 on top of the cap to cover any players used that are not in the top 25 that play first garde? Not everyone elses fault the Roosters over pay their PL and flegg side so they can stock pile talented junior reps.