What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould: Bennett agreed to coach Roosters

salivor

First Grade
STSAE said:
So how did you know this??

"This is a club that supposedly didn't know it's coach had agreed to sign with the Roosters until 6 weeks after the event and when the rumours arose the CEO didn't discuss it with the coach until about half a week later so it doesn't surprise me."

Someone lied, and it wasnt me.

Oh yeah to answer your next pathetic attempt, I will Quote Merve Hughes.

"Tickets please"

:D :D

Read the above post. Good to see that you ignored all the other points put to you about your blatant lies, good to know that you have nothing. Weakest retort ever, hell I'd even back Razor to put up a better counter argument and he's mentally unstable.

STSAE

Juniors
salivor said:
Key word supposedly. There was an article posted in this thread where Cullen stated that he spoke to Bennett on Saturday night and Bennett committed to the club through to 2009. That is ALL we know, no mention of what exaclty was discussed, nothing about whether not there had been prior discussion and whether Bennett lied at any stage. So now it's time for you to post a link to back up your claim that:

Source or retract because we both know you have and know nothing.

Tomato, BBQ or are you a Tobasco lover??

Delusional?? Liar?? Nah I reckon you just KNOW you are wrong??

You wrote it why cant you back up the link??

Ping..................

The Informer

Juniors
Nah, I don't know everything, but a few things, 10 yrs in the game at grade helps a little. The nic was a stab in the dark 12 months ago when I joined.

Bennett has been poor, at best, and yes no doubt self interest has been the winner. For a man who has always stood by his word, and the strength of character and relationship with those close to him then this doesn't look like that at all. He and the board, News Ltd, Cullen go back a long way, that he would have the meeting, then agree, and then begin to plan for his future there as it now appears smells, bad. We might know the truth for some time, I guess Bennett supporters could only hope that he did actually tell those that needed to know of his intentions at the time. He, Cullen and any board members that may have known what was going on (if they did) are now not going to tell the story to shaft him.

I think Gould has made himself fair game by his writting of a 2 page article last weekend, supposedly telling everyone hwat unfolded and tipping a bucket on Bennett. Numerous times through the article and else where in the media he either wants to tell you what happened (if that helps him protect Politis, which is his agenda) or what little he knew as he doesn't want to be exposed for shafting Stuart (after already having such a track record).

STSAE

Juniors
The Informer said:
Nah, I don't know everything, but a few things, 10 yrs in the game at grade helps a little. The nic was a stab in the dark 12 months ago when I joined.

Bennett has been poor, at best, and yes no doubt self interest has been the winner. For a man who has always stood by his word, and the strength of character and relationship with those close to him then this doesn't look like that at all. He and the board, News Ltd, Cullen go back a long way, that he would have the meeting, then agree, and then begin to plan for his future there as it now appears smells, bad. We might know the truth for some time, I guess Bennett supporters could only hope that he did actually tell those that needed to know of his intentions at the time. He, Cullen and any board members that may have known what was going on (if they did) are now not going to tell the story to shaft him.

I think Gould has made himself fair game by his writting of a 2 page article last weekend, supposedly telling everyone hwat unfolded and tipping a bucket on Bennett. Numerous times through the article and else where in the media he either wants to tell you what happened (if that helps him protect Politis, which is his agenda) or what little he knew as he doesn't want to be exposed for shafting Stuart (after already having such a track record).

Mate i agree 100% with what youve said.

I dont think Bennett will ever give us anything, well not the whole truth though.

And Gould well I suppose hes always fair game, no matter what he does or says. But this one was always going to draw plenty of heat, agreed. I really think Gould is saying what Politis has told him to say.

And yes they always have an agenda. But so does Bennett, and that was all I was trying to get across from the start. Everyone seems to be attacking Gould but in this one (and I know his track record dont worry) I think theyve missed the point. Its a Politis-Bennett fued. Gould is the mouthpiece.

All we can do now is sit back and see if Wayne has a comeback??

BTW which clubs(s) did you play at?? Play any 1st grade?? Not being a smarta$$ just interested.

salivor

First Grade
STSAE said:
Tomato, BBQ or are you a Tobasco lover??

Delusional?? Liar?? Nah I reckon you just KNOW you are wrong??

You wrote it why cant you back up the link??

Ping..................

Here you go:
http://www.broncos.com.au/index.cfm...rd=Bennett&NewsColumnID=&Archives=0&Current=1

From the article:
Bruno Cullen said:
But at the end of the day – and in an effort to ‘kill’ off the continuing speculation - Wayne and I did sit down to confirm our on-going relationship in regard to his coaching contract at the Broncos. Today, I confirm publicly that Wayne and I have met and discussed the conjecture about his future.

Funny that, nothing in there about Bennett lying to the club or Cullen, you know why because cullen doesn't and hasn't gone into specifics about their discussion or any prior discussions.

Now where's your link to back up your claims that Bennett obviously lied to Cullen? Oh what's that? You've got nothing? What? You don't have the tact to retract your blatant bullsh*t? Oh that's a shame that your a weasel. Here's your arse on a plate as a going away gift.

STSAE

Juniors
salivor said:
Here you go:
http://www.broncos.com.au/index.cfm?TopMenuID=266&MenuID=410&NewsID=2993&tShowType=Search&tSearchWord=Bennett&NewsColumnID=&Archives=0&Current=1

From the article:

Funny that, nothing in there about Bennett lying to the club or Cullen, you know why because cullen doesn't and hasn't gone into specifics about their discussion or any prior discussions.

Now where's your link to back up your claims that Bennett obviously lied to Cullen? Oh what's that? You've got nothing? What? You don't have the tact to retract your blatant bullsh*t? Oh that's a shame that your a weasel. Here's your arse on a plate as a going away gift.

I found it little man. And check the date.

Cullen is laughing off reports but Bennett has agreed to Politis.

I will admitt Cullen is very cagey but read between the lines.

So again I ask who is Lying?? Cos Im not.

And dont bother anymore, you are an A$$CLOWN.

Besides its beer time.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20369089-23214,00.html?from=public_rss

Broncos laugh off bid for Bennett

By Jim Morton and Steve Jancetic
September 07, 2006
BRISBANE chief executive Bruno Cullen isn't sure which is the more amusing: Wayne Bennett being targeted by Sydney Roosters or the Broncos coach receiving a $2.4 million offer weeks after critics called for his head.
Cullen today laughed off a News Ltd report suggesting the Roosters were sizing up Bennett to replace the axed Ricky Stuart on a huge three-year deal.
Roosters officials were also laughing at the figures bandied around, but they wouldn't confirm or deny the interest that made back-page news in Sydney and Brisbane.
Bennett was unavailable for comment but Cullen did the speaking for him, believing the story came "out of thin air".
"It came completely out of the blue," he said.
"I was a little bit surprised when I was having my wheat bikkies this morning and opened up the back page of the paper.
"I enjoyed it. I had a laugh.
"It's not a bad back-page fish and chip wrapper tomorrow."
Cullen listed a string of reasons why he was confident Bennett would see out a four-year contract ending in 2009 rather than move to a club that has been a bitter rival under the coaching of Stuart and Phil Gould.
"His love of the place, his desire to make the Broncos successful again, to celebrate 20 years as a coach here next year, the list goes on," he said.
"He's been (at the Broncos) from the birth of the club right through to where it is today, and 20 years has been so successful for him."
Cullen admitted the reported contract was well above his salary at the Broncos, but he also indicated that Bennett was a man who would be unwilling to uproot his family, which includes two children with disabilities.
The news comes as the five-time premiership coach's reputation has been restored through three successive convincing wins leading into the NRL finals.
"We've just got to keep reminding people we've just got to our 15th finals series in a row, which no other club has even got close to doing," Cullen said.
"Three or four weeks ago everyone was calling for his head and now he's got a multi-million-dollar contract supposedly thrown in front of him - so funny world.
"Like any good employer or any good performer, they might be on somebody's wish list.
"But a lot of those times those wish lists don't go any further than a name on paper."
Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan wouldn't comment about interest in Bennett, the latest in a string of coaches linked to the Bondi Junction club.
"The information will be kept in-house and we will neither confirm or deny speculation regarding the coaching position," Canavan said.

salivor

First Grade
Still doesn't state anywhere that Bennett has lied to Cullen about the subject as according to Cullen they hadn't even discussed the subject in that article, can't lie about something that you've never even discussed. Article since then though have seen Cullen going back on those initial comments which proves he was doing nothing more than trying to throw off the media to deflect a rumour, he's since been forced to release a more open statement which I posted a link for.

STSAE said:
And dont bother anymore, you are an A$$CLOWN.

Can't back up the false claims you made based on no evidence and can't finish what you started. You've got nothing so it's a fitting way for you to run away from the debate. That's now 2 debates you've run away from, regular habit for you? The similarities between you and Razor continue, he too runs when his bullsh*t has been exposed.

STSAE

Juniors
salivor said:
Still doesn't state anywhere that Bennett has lied to Cullen about the subject as according to Cullen they hadn't even discussed the subject in that article, can't lie about something that you've never even discussed. Article since then though have seen Cullen going back on those initial comments which proves he was doing nothing more than trying to throw off the media to deflect a rumour, he's since been forced to release a more open statement which I posted a link for.

Can't back up the false claims you made based on no evidence and can't finish what you started. You've got nothing so it's a fitting way for you to run away from the debate. That's now 2 debates you've run away from, regular habit for you? The similarities between you and Razor continue, he too runs when his bullsh*t has been exposed.

Nahh, I like Razor, probably know when Im right and can leave it at that.

Also know when im talking to a brick wall.

Ive also got a life away from the keyboard, littleman.

Isnt it "Fush und Chups" time yet??

ROFLOL.

You really are no challenge, boring.

But amusing all the same.

"Tickets please", now thats funny.

LMFAO.

BTW I never used the word "state" or said it was fact. "Obviously" and "Read between the lines" were my words. But dont let the truth get in the way of a sad argument, you havent so far.

salivor

First Grade
I'm sorry I thought you were leaving? Back up your claims that Bennett obviously lied or go, because you can't all I've got to say is don't let the door hit you on the way out, there's plenty of other places for your (and I use the term lightly) jokes to fall flat.

innsaneink

Referee
As I said earlier....

innsaneink said:
Theres a difference between lying, and not being forthcoming, witholding information.

STSAE...youre looking rather foolish.

The only people that we can say were definitely lying was The Roosters and Uncle Nick.

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
nqboy said:
If what you're saying is true, he sure made your lot look like Amateur Hour. He played them for proper fools.

Your absolutley correct but its no way for a man that portrays himself to have honestly loyalty with dignity and pride to conduct himself is it! I must say i had respect for bennett, I never rated him the super coach some say but he is good. if this whole saga is on the money then the man is a grub.

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
And imagine if all coaches were like Gould and never STFU?
I do like when Bennett talks as he doesnt take shyte from the media and he is selective when he talks. He doesnt need his face on the backpage every day. Wayne is also not piss weak and is able to dictate to the majority of tossers who write for the papers what he will talk about and answer questions he wants to answer....if they dont like it then tough luck.
I dont think what Wayne says is going to sway the league ratings or crowd figures...it is the players and the clubs results, not what Joe Blow has to say to the press.

Majority of coaches talk in cliches anyway...."One game at a time, i dont care who we play next week blah blah blah"

Its clear your part of the majority... in your own words ofcourse! Now that we have put that to bed we can move on!

bobbis

Juniors
Just my two cents on it,

Maybe Bennet has come to his 4th straight late season form slump, having been recently forced to give up the Kangaroos position and with media calls for his axing gathering momentum for the second season, Politis has approached Bennet who thinks his position is tenuous with a substantially bigger contract than his current 1 and Bennet says yes. Bennet would probably have a get out clause at the Broncos. With the way Bennet is he's probably stipulated to the Roosters that the deal is to remain confidential until after the NRL season, in order to keep the media attention off him and enable him to finish off the Broncos season to the best of his ability. Someone in the Roosters has then leaked the story, a few weeks earlier they leaked the Stuart story. You had Gould informed of the news so obviously quite a few in the Roosters organisation knew. I can't see why Bennet would tell many people, or want the story leaked, its extremely improbable the leak didn't come from the Roosters side. If in the verbal contract if there was 1 it was stipulated that it was to remain confidential until a certain time and the Roosters leaked the information it would be invalidated. So Bennet has had second thoughts especially we the Bronocs form having picked up and has therefore gone sorry but no thanks.

Thats just one possible option, given weve only really heard Gould's side a biased not fully informed party it may not be quite the case.

Maybe Bennet was seriously considering the offer however had not confirmed it and therefore not spoken to Cullen, perhaps Politis who it appears intended to sack Stuart regardless has then acted on Bennets advice and sacked him as soon as possible to give Stuart the best chance of finding a new job. I get the feeling that if Bennet had actually confirmed that he was going to coach the Roosters that Roosters management would be a lot more vocal, especially if they only had sacked Stuart on the proviso Bennet would coach.

Of course at this point without hearing from the two main men its all speculation.

Whatever has actually happens i really doubt Bennet has maliciously gone out to screw the Roosters over, if he did I'd be quite impressed.

STSAE

Juniors
innsaneink said:
As I said earlier....

STSAE...youre looking rather foolish.

The only people that we can say were definitely lying was The Roosters and Uncle Nick.

WTF??

I can cop looking rather foolish, fair enuff, it was foolish arguing with a savaloi.

But how do you come up with Politis or Easts were lying?? Im lost??

Sounds a little insane to me??

innsaneink

Referee
Politis lied to Roosters fans, or he was going to.

The sacking was going to be a 'resignation'

Two weeks later, a rival Sunday paper reported that Stuart was about to be sacked and Brad Fittler and myself would be taking over as coaches. I went on radio the next day declaring this was a load of rubbish. I then put in a call to Stuart asking him to meet with me to discuss the situation, thinking at this time his job was still safe.

An hour later, I got a call from Politis telling me he'd sacked Stuart two weeks previously.

I asked if he had a replacement coach and he said he wouldn't sack Stuart unless he had something in place. That's the way Politis works.

I didn't find out for another week the replacement was Bennett. I couldn't believe it. I was so excited that he'd agreed to coach our club.

I learnt only during the week that after agreeing to coach the Roosters, it was Bennett who suggested to Politis that he should inform Stuart as soon as possible so he would have maximum time to find another job.

It was this suggestion from Bennett that prompted Politis to tell Stuart when he did. He suggested Stuart should resign and the announcement would be made at the end of the season.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/how-wayne-bennett-betrayed-roosters/2006/09/16/1158334728929.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

STSAE

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Politis lied to Roosters fans, or he was going to.

The sacking was going to be a 'resignation'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/how-wayne-bennett-betrayed-roosters/2006/09/16/1158334728929.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

Yep you are right, OR almost right.

But if that makes me look "foolish" well I will gladly let Uncle Nick make me look "foolish" anytime. And if thats your definition of a "lie" well again Uncle Nick can "lie" to me anytime.

Still sacked/resigned makes very little difference to me. The main thing is Uncle Nick got it right in my opinion.

Funny point you make though, I stand corrected, sort of.

You seem fairly intelligent(rare in this thread-LOL), do you honestly think Politis/Gould/Easts would release this sort of info without it being essentially correct in their opinion of course?? Just wondering??

innsaneink

Referee
STSAE said:
Yep you are right, OR almost right.

But if that makes me look "foolish" well I will gladly let Uncle Nick make me look "foolish" anytime. And if thats your definition of a "lie" well again Uncle Nick can "lie" to me anytime.

Still sacked/resigned makes very little difference to me. The main thing is Uncle Nick got it right in my opinion.

Funny point you make though, I stand corrected, sort of.

You seem fairly intelligent(rare in this thread-LOL), do you honestly think Politis/Gould/Easts would release this sort of info without it being essentially correct in their opinion of course?? Just wondering??
Ive heard some Roosters fans on radio absolutely furious that this ''lie'' or ''bending of the truth'' about Stickys sacking/resignation was to have happened, I'd missed it initially when reading the article, caught the tail end of one interview on radio last week that got my interest again, and went thru the article again to find it.

Ive got no doubt crap like this goes on all the time at all clubs..."Lip service", tell the fans what they wanna hear. What is rare is them admitting it, and the Roosters by admitting this "lie" makes me think the rest of it is probably on the money, though the more imaginative could say that lie and the confession, so to speak was thrown in to make em look good, above board... but I dont think so.
Some fans cop this lip service and bending of the truth no probs, others take it almost personal....like one fan I heard on radio I guess.

To your question...Its hard to imagine this being released if it basically wasnt on the money.

I cant see Bennetts or Cullens lies though, I can see some 'witholding of info' or the like though....but thats different to lying.

STSAE

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Ive heard some Roosters fans on radio absolutely furious that this ''lie'' or ''bending of the truth'' about Stickys sacking/resignation was to have happened, I'd missed it initially when reading the article, caught the tail end of one interview on radio last week that got my interest again, and went thru the article again to find it.

Ive got no doubt crap like this goes on all the time at all clubs..."Lip service", tell the fans what they wanna hear. What is rare is them admitting it, and the Roosters by admitting this "lie" makes me think the rest of it is probably on the money, though the more imaginative could say that lie and the confession, so to speak was thrown in to make em look good, above board... but I dont think so.
Some fans cop this lip service and bending of the truth no probs, others take it almost personal....like one fan I heard on radio I guess.

To your question...Its hard to imagine this being released if it basically wasnt on the money.

I cant see Bennetts or Cullens lies though, I can see some 'witholding of info' or the like though....but thats different to lying.

Fair call. Thanks for the honesty too mate, much appreciated.

And you are correct It dosent say anywhere Bennett or Cullen lied, especially Cullen. I am only presuming that Cullen must have at some stage spoken to Bennett about next year/retention of players etcetcetc, even about the rumour at some stage. He does come out and laugh off the rumour on Sept 7th, I did provide the link.

My logic tells me somewhere there Bennett has played both CEOs or clubs?? Or Did Cullen know and deny it?? Or was Bennett just playing Politis/Easts??

Basically im asking a Question of The Great Man. I knew the response would be an attack by those in his spell. And I knew Gould would be the blame of all this mess, even though for once he is the mouthpiece, nothing more.

I dont think we will ever know the full truth (when do we ever??) but watching Politis over the years operate, I cant see why he would lie about this?? I may be wrong there, but I doubt it??