What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould: Bennett agreed to coach Roosters

salivor

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Yes...not very professional, semis are coming up and hes thinking of his own interests, according to you....

:lol: How longs he been Bronco head honcho?

Well players have been thinking about their own interests and negotiating contracts around Origin for years and doing just fine, I don't have a problem with Bennett looking at other options when he feels he's on borrowed time at the Broncos.

19 years, and it still counts for very little if he continues to fail at getting the Broncos to perform at this time of year and he knows and we know that coaches are always the first head on the chopping block.

salivor

First Grade
Rotten Rooster said:
Sounds like you dont know your head from your behind, which fan does not enjoy listening to his coaches comments after the game or in the paper on foxsports or the footy show. Elliott and Bellamy are great examples or even Stuart during origin. The media aspect is a very important part of the game these days. Why do you think sights like this exist !!! it creates interest in the game and make the fan feel apart of it closer to the action so to speak, imagine the game if all coaches had bennetts approach?.

Bennett brings more attention and press to the game when he refuses to talk then when most of the other coaches put together open their mouths to sprout cliched comments. And Bennett does actually talk to the media and fans on a regular basis, he's had a weekly column with courier mail for a few years now where he's been very open with his thoughts.

And Bennett does nothing for the game? Was Bennett not a huge backer of getting the Tri-Nations implemented? Has Bennett not supported International football and it's importance while others have been happy to ignore it and let it die? Give yourself an upper cut.

Green Machine

First Grade
nqboy said:
What makes you say that? Benny's history is that he doesn't give a flying what other people think and he doesn't bother correcting them as he considers it a waste of his time.

I think he does. Wayne Bennett always talks to the sections of the media he trusts, ABC Radio as a case in point. I can only remember 2 times in the past when has put a blanket ban on the media, when he didn’t want to answer questions. Even after making a side exit from the airport after the last Tri Nations, he later admitted it was a mistake. The only other time I can think of was when he dropped Justin Hodges for signing with Roosters. Wayne Bennett uses the media as much as anyone else in the game. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that is black mark against Wayne,

Green Machine

First Grade
STSAE said:
1 Question still remains.

Did Bennett lie to Cullen/Brisbane/His House??

Cos if he dosent sue Politis/Gould for slander or defamation of character we can all assume Gus is correct in the story he PORTRAYED to us all.

Have no illusions Gould and Politis are not stoopid. They would NEVER leave themselves open if this wasnt true.
Read the article again. Get past the headline. Phil Gould has not suggested that Wayne Bennett has betrayed the Roosters. Phil Gould has admitted on radio on Sunday that the Herald put the Betrayal headline on his article.
Razor is right (and I dont know his history or why he is so unliked here??). Gould/Politis/Easts hatred is behind all the a$$talk. Blind Freddy can see that.

:D :D
Razor has never been right about anything,

drake

First Grade
Gould said on Talkin' Sport that he didn't write the headline, it is the paper's right to put whatever headline on it they like, and he is happy to have them put whatever they want on it. He's not going to come out and lambast his employer for doing their job. He got the sh*ts pretty badly when Hughes was trying to get him to say he was angry or annoyed with the SMH.

STSAE

Juniors
Green Machine said:
Read the article again. Get past the headline. Phil Gould has not suggested that Wayne Bennett has betrayed the Roosters. Phil Gould has admitted on radio on Sunday that the Herald put the Betrayal headline on his article.

Razor has never been right about anything,

Read my question AGAIN.

I never once said Bennett betrayed Easts??

Here it is: Did Bennett lie to Cullen/Brisbane/His House??
The point to my question is does ANYONE think Bennett did anything wrong by lying??
Everyones blaming Gus, but Bennett obviously lied to Cullen and the Broncos, Cullen put out a release saying hed spoke to Bennett and he knew nothing. But since weve found out thats a lie.

Ironic you tell me to read something again, quote my question but waffle on with some dribble.

Even more ironic is you comment on Razor and him never being right.

eelandia

Juniors
drake said:
Gould said on Talkin' Sport that he didn't write the headline, it is the paper's right to put whatever headline on it they like, and he is happy to have them put whatever they want on it. He's not going to come out and lambast his employer for doing their job. He got the sh*ts pretty badly when Hughes was trying to get him to say he was angry or annoyed with the SMH.

Graeme Hughes has an agenda against Gus Gould as is evidenced in his reaction when people ring up to bag him. I have more respect for Gus than GH and this was only enhanced after hearing the interview on Talkin' Sport.

Gus gave it to him in this interview, to the point of exposing GH's agenda which was to infer Gus' article was saying something it wasn't. GH read between the lines like only a New Idea or TV Week reporter can and Gus pulled him up every time he tried.

STSAE

Juniors
eelandia said:
Graeme Hughes has an agenda against Gus Gould as is evidenced in his reaction when people ring up to bag him. I have more respect for Gus than GH and this was only enhanced after hearing the interview on Talkin' Sport.

Gus gave it to him in this interview, to the point of exposing GH's agenda which was to infer Gus' article was saying something it wasn't. GH read between the lines like only a New Idea or TV Week reporter can and Gus pulled him up every time he tried.

You are right in my opinion. Well said.

Unfortunatley I think you may be talking to a brick wall, because the blatantly obvious bias against Gould is alive and well around here.

I keep asking the question of Bennetts lies (to his own club and CEO), and why Gus seems to be getting so much heat for relaying the truth to all??

Its just another case of "shoot the messenger" and "head in the sand", methinks.

The man is not well liked but he is often correct. I guess that annoys people??

The Informer

Juniors
You guys are kidding. He is respected for his knowlegde and coaching ability. There is no doubt of that. But he is desprected if not hated in many quarters for his long term behaviour. You obviously don't know your history, and certainly the history involving Gould through the 80's and 90's. Nobody backs self interest like Gould has, and always does. Of course Hughes would have a dislike of Gould, he is well aware of how Gould walked out on a deal at the Dogs to chase the money available at Penrith, and how he walked out of Penrith a few yrs later, and he'd be well aware of the numerous other occasions where Gould's self interest (and other agendas) has dominated his actions and or media comment, just like his article last Sunday.

And you want to criticise Hughes for exposing the jerk!!

salivor

First Grade
STSAE said:
You are right in my opinion. Well said.

Unfortunatley I think you may be talking to a brick wall, because the blatantly obvious bias against Gould is alive and well around here.

I keep asking the question of Bennetts lies (to his own club and CEO), and why Gus seems to be getting so much heat for relaying the truth to all??

Its just another case of "shoot the messenger" and "head in the sand", methinks.

The man is not well liked but he is often correct. I guess that annoys people??

Keep asking all the questions you like. Bennett has made no comment at all on the subject so until you've heard his side of the story I'm perplexed how you seem to know the whole story. Trust me, your crystal ball isn't actually a source.

STSAE

Juniors
The Informer said:
You guys are kidding. He is respected for his knowlegde and coaching ability. There is no doubt of that. But he is desprected if not hated in many quarters for his long term behaviour. You obviously don't know your history, and certainly the history involving Gould through the 80's and 90's. Nobody backs self interest like Gould has, and always does. Of course Hughes would have a dislike of Gould, he is well aware of how Gould walked out on a deal at the Dogs to chase the money available at Penrith, and how he walked out of Penrith a few yrs later, and he'd be well aware of the numerous other occasions where Gould's self interest (and other agendas) has dominated his actions and or media comment, just like his article last Sunday.

And you want to criticise Hughes for exposing the jerk!!

So Wayne Bennett stayed in Brisbane, but theres no self interest there??

Graham Hughes never bags the Dogs, but theres no self interest there??

Nah I guess Gould is the ONLY person in the history of the game to look after himself??

In fact both clubs Penrith and The Dogs sacked Gould, and made is position unworkable.

Mate you just proved your own point. You obviously hate Gould so when his name is mentioned you have a little bag at him. But no theres no self-interest there??

We know the Histroy of the game, we just dont make it up to suit our own Self-interest!!

STSAE

Juniors
salivor said:
Keep asking all the questions you like. Bennett has made no comment at all on the subject so until you've heard his side of the story I'm perplexed how you seem to know the whole story. Trust me, your crystal ball isn't actually a source.

OK I will.

The point to my question is does ANYONE think Bennett did anything wrong by lying??
Everyones blaming Gus, but Bennett obviously lied to Cullen and the Broncos, Cullen put out a release saying hed spoke to Bennett and he knew nothing. But since weve found out thats a lie. (I actually see you mentioned this in the Eastwood thread)

There, but I know you wont answer cos we all know you cant question the Great Man.

BTW I dont know about crystal balls, Im going on what Politis told Gould and Bennet told Cullen. Just what theyve let out, nothing more.

The Informer

Juniors
Every one in professional sport backs self interest, you're correct. I dislike Gould, correct, but such is based on facts, something you're short on.

And you haven't got a clue of what went on at Canterbury, or how he'd been paid 18 mths in advance at the Panthers, or the Politis deal, the Fittler deal, the shafting of numerous people at Souths, Garlic, Murray, Stuart, the list is endless.

innsaneink

Referee
Theres a difference between lying, and not being forthcoming, witholding information.
BTW I dont know about crystal balls, Im going on what Politis told Gould and Bennet told Cullen. Just what theyve let out, nothing more.

What did Bennett tell Cullen.....provide a link please.

STSAE

Juniors
The Informer said:
Every one in professional sport backs self interest, you're correct. I dislike Gould, correct, but such is based on facts, something you're short on.

And you haven't got a clue of what went on at Canterbury, or how he'd been paid 18 mths in advance at the Panthers, or the Politis deal, the Fittler deal, the shafting of numerous people at Souths, Garlic, Murray, Stuart, the list is endless.

And I guess you know EVERYTHING cos you are the informer, right??

At least you could admitt your dislike of Gould. You have more nutts than alot on here. I respect that mate. Thanx for being honest.

Just a friendly question.

Do you think it is Gus who should be being attacked on this issue??

Isnt he the messenger?? Hes relaying what occured between Politis/Easts and Bennett isnt he??

No matter anyones hatred or not of Gould, and sure hes not infallable or has many a shocker, but why cant we question The Great Man??

salivor

First Grade
STSAE said:
OK I will.

I don't know, maybe, maybe not, that's about as good as it gets when you've only got one side of the story.

STSAE said:

You can't answer the question until we know if he lies first. It's a waste of time question as it's assuming something we don't know at this stage.

STSAE said:
Everyones blaming Gus,
I haven't blamed Gus and only a small handful of posters have. So in retaliation you want to sling sh*t at Bennett, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

STSAE said:
but Bennett obviously lied to Cullen and the Broncos, Cullen put out a release saying hed spoke to Bennett and he knew nothing. But since weve found out thats a lie. (I actually see you mentioned this in the Eastwood thread)
Couldn't hold back for long could you? Bennett didn't "obviously" lie to Cullen as we have not heard a single quote from him on the subject on what he did or did not say to Cullen. All Cullen has stated is that he talked to Bennett about it on Saturday night, we don't know what exactly was said all we know is that Bennett agreed to stay with the club through to 2009 so how you get any lies from so little information is beyond me.

So stop stating things as though they are fact when we've only heard the story from 1 side man who isn't even that in the loop at the Roosters as it took him several weeks to learn of Bennett's appointment and Stuarts sacking. We haven't heard anything from the 2 main men at the centre of this in Politis and Bennett and we've only had a brief statement from Cullen. We've got so little to go on.

Re the Eastwood thread, I note you conveniently didn't read where I said "supposedly", not surprised that you like to read selectively.

STSAE said:
There, but I know you wont answer cos we all know you cant question the Great Man.

:D:D
Can't question the great man? What a load of bollocks. I've been questioning him for months now as I believe he should be sacked as Broncos coach. Trust me, I don't worship Wayne like some of my fellow Broncos supporters and I have a lot of respect for Gould. I'm just not prepared to condem the man without having heard his version of events, anyone who does is rather foolish i.e. you.

salivor

First Grade
STSAE said:
And I guess you know EVERYTHING cos you are the informer, right??

I don't know about him but you seem to have tickets on yourself for knowing everything about what went on in this situation. As ink stated, got a link for some of the accusations? I won't hold my breath waiting.

STSAE

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Theres a difference between lying, and not being forthcoming, witholding information.

What did Bennett tell Cullen.....provide a link please.

I have looked on both Fox Sports and the SMH site and the story is gone. It was by Cullen and I seem to think it was on the SMH site.

But seeing Salivor wrote this in the Eastwood thread "This is a club that supposedly didn't know it's coach had agreed to sign with the Roosters until 6 weeks after the event and when the rumours arose the CEO didn't discuss it with the coach until about half a week later so it doesn't surprise me."

So I guess Im not the only 1 who read it??

STSAE

Juniors
salivor said:
I don't know, maybe, maybe not, that's about as good as it gets when you've only got one side of the story.

You can't answer the question until we know if he lies first. It's a waste of time question as it's assuming something we don't know at this stage.

I haven't blamed Gus and only a small handful of posters have. So in retaliation you want to sling sh*t at Bennett, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Couldn't hold back for long could you? Bennett didn't "obviously" lie to Cullen as we have not heard a single quote from him on the subject on what he did or did not say to Cullen. All Cullen has stated is that he talked to Bennett about it on Saturday night, we don't know what exactly was said all we know is that Bennett agreed to stay with the club through to 2009 so how you get any lies from so little information is beyond me.

So stop stating things as though they are fact when we've only heard the story from 1 side man who isn't even that in the loop at the Roosters as it took him several weeks to learn of Bennett's appointment and Stuarts sacking. We haven't heard anything from the 2 main men at the centre of this in Politis and Bennett and we've only had a brief statement from Cullen. We've got so little to go on.

Re the Eastwood thread, I note you conveniently didn't read where I said "supposedly", not surprised that you like to read selectively.

Can't question the great man? What a load of bollocks. I've been questioning him for months now as I believe he should be sacked as Broncos coach. Trust me, I don't worship Wayne like some of my fellow Broncos supporters and I have a lot of respect for Gould. I'm just not prepared to condem the man without having heard his version of events, anyone who does is rather foolish i.e. you.

So how did you know this??

"This is a club that supposedly didn't know it's coach had agreed to sign with the Roosters until 6 weeks after the event and when the rumours arose the CEO didn't discuss it with the coach until about half a week later so it doesn't surprise me."

Someone lied, and it wasnt me.

Oh yeah to answer your next pathetic attempt, I will Quote Merv Hughes.

"Tickets please"

salivor

First Grade
STSAE said:
I have looked on both Fox Sports and the SMH site and the story is gone. It was by Cullen and I seem to think it was on the SMH site.

But seeing Salivor wrote this in the Eastwood thread "This is a club that supposedly didn't know it's coach had agreed to sign with the Roosters until 6 weeks after the event and when the rumours arose the CEO didn't discuss it with the coach until about half a week later so it doesn't surprise me."

So I guess Im not the only 1 who read it??

Key word supposedly. There was an article posted in this thread where Cullen stated that he spoke to Bennett on Saturday night and Bennett committed to the club through to 2009. That is ALL we know, no mention of what exaclty was discussed, nothing about whether not there had been prior discussion and whether Bennett lied at any stage. So now it's time for you to post a link to back up your claim that:
STSAE said:
Bennett obviously lied to Cullen and the Broncos
Source or retract because we both know you have and know nothing.