What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould on Sterlo

mickeylane

Bench
If anyone's watching Phil Gould on Sterlo hear what he has to say about building a team culture and local player base.

He said when a club is rebuilding you would never appoint a rookie coach because there's Potentially bad times before good so they need the experience to keep the club spirits high.

Say what u like about Phil Gould but he's exactly what Dragons need - a mentor that knows how to build a club and drive strategy.. Not Doust types who have no football knowledge.

I'm so envious of the Panthers..

We have no idea at this stage - hopefully Mulholland is the key to our success

Jubileeboy

First Grade
If anyone's watching Phil Gould on Sterlo hear what he has to say about building a team culture and local player base.

He said when a club is rebuilding you would never appoint a rookie coach because there's Potentially bad times before good so they need the experience to keep the club spirits high.

Say what u like about Phil Gould but he's exactly what Dragons need - a mentor that knows how to build a club and drive strategy.. Not Doust types who have no football knowledge.

Yes, yes...but what about the real news. Did he say anything about Motzen?

nrlnrl

First Grade

Outstanding interview. I don't agree with everything he says, but hearing him talk openly on a variety of subjects without interruption was refreshing. His love for the game is well known, but this interview proved that he doesn't need to do it by pushing agendas or holding grudges. He is someone that the NRL needs to listen to if they want a healthy game now & in the future.

Yes, rugby league is a business & a form of entertainment, rather than just a game, but it needs a strong input from those who have experienced it via multiple roles as he has. There are too many in positions of power who base their decisions purely through the eyes of a business person.

TheRev

First Grade
Yar its amazing what a good brain (ex-coach) does for an organisation.. plus as a bonus players of all ages want to play under him.

inside_pass

Bench
I've met Phil on a number of occasions and you wouldn't meet a nicer bloke.He tells it like it is so you always know where you stand.His passion and love for the game is unbelievable.
He would be the perfect person to get our club back to where it belongs!

I've met him as well during a leadership and development workshop with my work. He delivered a 1.5 hour lecture to us on leadership and how to get the best out of your people. We had some people in the group who weren't interested at all in rugby league and they had said prior, "oh great, another footy head"!
Gus told stories, explained strategies (surprisingly didn't speak much on rugby league) and by the end of it, unanimously, everyone agreed he was brilliant. There was not one "um" or "ah" during his delivery and he just commanded your attention because of how brilliantly he spoke. I too was not a big fan until I attended that workshop. I can see why he has the impact on a club that he does.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I've met Phil on a number of occasions and you wouldn't meet a nicer bloke.He tells it like it is so you always know where you stand.His passion and love for the game is unbelievable.
He would be the perfect person to get our club back to where it belongs!

Totally agree as I also had the pleasure of meeting and talking once. As usual the conversation was centred around the Dragons during the Browny years. He was a HUGE fan of Nathan as a coach and person of great character. I was amazed at Goulds deep love for the Dragons that went back to his early years as a fan and it was the team he followed. For many years since, I have hoped that one day he would return in some capacity to right the Dragons ship. I still remember his parting words : don't give up on the mighty RedV they are the most famous club in league and will rise again. 2 years later with Bennett at the helm...we where back at No.1 and now we are down stuck in a rutawaiting another saviour.

grouch

First Grade

Yep, seems obvious really.

Sigh.

TheRam

Coach
Phil Gould should be running the game. There is no better person who has his common sense nous, intellect and experience who can speak in such a way that brings everyone on board and confident in his methods and direction.

I have often thought, if he were ever to throw his hat into the political arena, I could see him go all the way to PM.

Lets hope that one day soon, the powers that be start to push and persuade him to join the NRL admin in some capacity, with an eventual progression to leadership. He would revolutionize the game.

Short of that, I can only hope Parra poach him now.

giboz71

First Grade
Yep, what a great interview. The things that he said that stuck in my mind:

- When you're rebuilding, you have to accept being bottom of the ladder the first year or 2
- Don't appoint a rookie coach, as the tough years will be too much for them
- Commitment to building a culture/pride in the club via promotion and development of juniors
- Ensuring a pathway for juniors to come into grade. I think he mentioned 4-5 debuted last year and the same number will debut this year.

I wish someone had his vision at the Dragons. When Bennett left and along with half our premiership squad, we somehow thought we could compete with aging veterans and fringe first graders. If we had implemented his plan back then, we would probably be where the panthers are now.

Instead, we're 4 years behind.

betcats

Referee
Awesome interview, Gould was impressive. The thing is the blueprint he laid out for how he(and others) have got the Panthers on track should work for most clubs, there was nothing groundbreaking in there, simply be prepared to work hard and accept some poor results initially and build a hardworking and proud culture from top to bottom at the club.

Saintsified

Bench

sorry but Cleary isn't exactly experienced himself.

Saintsified

Bench
Yep, what a great interview. The things that he said that stuck in my mind:

- When you're rebuilding, you have to accept being bottom of the ladder the first year or 2
- Don't appoint a rookie coach, as the tough years will be too much for them
- Commitment to building a culture/pride in the club via promotion and development of juniors
- Ensuring a pathway for juniors to come into grade. I think he mentioned 4-5 debuted last year and the same number will debut this year.

I wish someone had his vision at the Dragons. When Bennett left and along with half our premiership squad, we somehow thought we could compete with aging veterans and fringe first graders. If we had implemented his plan back then, we would probably be where the panthers are now.

Instead, we're 4 years behind.

we Won premiership in 2010 now unless Panthers do it soon they haven't done squat .
now I know we are in a rut but since I've followed league since 1972 panthers have been in many more ruts than we will ever see. we will rise again soon enough.