What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phillip Hughes has passed away at the age of 25

_snafu_

Immortal
South Australian batsman Phillip Hughes has been taken to hospital in a critical condition after being struck on the head by a bouncer during the Sheffield Shield clash at the SCG on Tuesday.

A spokesman for the Ambulance Service of NSW said paramedics were called to Moore Park at 2.37pm, and Hughes was taken to St Vincents Hospital by ambulance in a critical condition.

Hughes was attempting a pull shot from a delivery by Sean Abbott when he was struck. After the blow, Hughes stood for some time while looking at his feet and then crashed face-first onto the pitch. The NSW players and umpires called for help immediately.

1416889723929.jpg
A chopper arrives on the SCG with a doctor to help Hughes.

NSW team doctor John Orchard was on the boundary administering assistance as Hughes lay on a stretcher on the medicab. Medical staff were working on Hughes 30 minutes after the delivery struck him and eventually three ambulances arrived on the ground to administer assistance. A helicopter arrived at the ground with another doctor to assist.

Players and ground staff held up a white sheet to screen him from the spectators who were looking on.

Play was suspended immediately with the umpires eventually abandoning play for the day. Hughes' former opening partner David Warner stood by his friend's side, as did Blues skipper Brad Haddin and some South Australian players.

1416889723929.jpg
Phil Hughes is stretchered off the SCG.

The South Australian opener was breathing through an oxygen mask.
Hughes was unbeaten on 63 and fighting for a berth in the squad for the first Test next week with the likely exclusion of skipper and No.4 batsman Michael Clarke due to a hamstring injury.

The manner in which the former Test opener collapsed, face-first onto the ground was like watching a boxer who falls from a delayed knockout blow.

At tea, the Redbacks are on 2-136. Mark Cosgrove (32) and Callum Ferguson (5), who was also considered a contender for an international call up, were the two South Australian batsmen dismissed.

Nathan Lyon has 1-31 for NSW, while former Australia bowler Doug Bollinger has 1-32.

The incident with Hughes occurred as NSW batsman Ben Rohrer was ruled out of the game after being concussed by a short delivery against Victoria in the opening round of the Sheffield Shield by Chris Tremain.

Cricket Australia was scrutinising it's concussion rule as a result of Rohrer's injury.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...ed-out-by-bouncer-at-scg-20141125-11titq.html

BunniesMan

Immortal
If it got him right on the windpipe or even on the carotid artery. But who knows. It's all speculation at this point. Various reports have said heart, neck, side of the head. The stream wasn't good quality so it was hard to tell exactly.

JW

Coach
Friggen hell, sounds scary as shit for all involved.

All the best to him, hope he pulls through OK.

Timbo

Staff member
Just saw the footage on Fox Sports, looks horrendous.

The worst part seems to be he was ok after being struck, was still on his feet talking. The way Nevill and Warner suddenly start panicking is terrifying to watch.

Pull through Phil.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Shit!! Terrible news. Hope the poor bugger is ok, apparently the whole NSW side inconsolable.

We give him some crap but from all reports he is the nicest bloke in Australian cricket. I feel sick in the stomach after seeing the footage. :(

Timbo

Staff member
Shit!! Terrible news. Hope the poor bugger is ok, apparently the whole NSW side inconsolable.

We give him some crap but from all reports he is the nicest bloke in Australian cricket. I feel sick in the stomach after seeing the footage. :(

I think we all agree that he's a supremely talented player, it's BunniesMoron we can't stand.

jargan83

Coach
Bugger me I watched the footage on news.com.au and it looked sickening the way he goes down. Talk about the last thing you expect to see at a Shield game.

I hope he pulls through this ok.

I think we all agree that he's a supremely talented player, it's BunniesMoron we can't stand.

This.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I don't like to speculate but I'm thinking that if he's been hit in the neck it may have caused an aneurism and so a shortage of blood to the brain (a stroke).

Scary as it sounds, an induced coma is being sedated. He'll therefore be intubated and ventilated. The surgery is more than likely to stop the bleeding in the brain and/or to relieve pressure in the brain.

Scary stuff and most certainly a critical condition.

Positive thoughts to Phil and his family.

Latest posts