What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phillip Hughes has passed away at the age of 25

Yep, never anything personal against Hughes, he's a nice enough fella.
Really hoping he's ok and young Abbott and the rest of the guys who saw it are ok too.

Yeah that's true too, hope Abbott is alright as well. I'm sure he never intended to injure him.

aqua_duck

Coach
It's kind of scary when you think about it, he was wearing a helmet and Abbott is hardly express pace

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It was on a live feed so it shouldn't be too hard to see where he was hit

Danish

Referee
Fox Sports now saying he was hit in the heart and had a heart attack. Serious condition

The way he collapsed looked like a heart attack or stroke rather than a KO. My initial thought was an aneurysm to be honest.

I don't know that getting hit in the chest can just bring on a heart attack though. May well have been a heart attack but I can't imagine that being hit by a cricket ball would be what caused it if thats the case

:edit: Shows why I'm not a doctor. Apparently blunt force trauma to the chest can bring on cardiac arrest through a cardiac contusion (basically your heart gets damaged from a blow, then fails). Seen usually in car crash victims or people falling from a great height onto their chest.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen something like this in club cricket before.

A batsmen hit above the heart from a bouncer, caused his heart to temporarily stop.

he came round and was okay about an hour or so later, but it was pretty hairy.

Latest posts