What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pick your core NSW side to build around

mrpwnd

Bench
Stewart is twice the FB Hayne is

Used to be twice the FB.
Havn't seen him string 3 consecutive games since 07.
Same thing happened with Mini, best fullback in the world, incumbent Australian fullback. Now stuck on the wing for the Roosters because hes been out for so long. Stewarts no different, doesn't help that his ankle is INCREDIBLY injury prone.

joseph1

Juniors
Dugan, Hayne, Morris, Jennings, Morris, Coote, Pearce, Snowden, Farah, Mannah, Lewis, Watmough, Stewart. Need to find a place for all these guys. I think either hayne or coote will end up a five-eight soon anyway, ala Darren Lockyer

oldmancraigy

Coach
Fullback: Hayne
Centre: Jennings
Hooker: Farah
Second Row: Watmough

Those are the guys who really 'pick themselves' - surely at the start of the year everyone would've thought they were the dead-set certainties?

Then you go from there, and we definitely need a halfback or five eighth who will be around for a while, and a prop or 2 who will be there long term. I'd say Mitchell Pearce looks the best halves option, so him. Then in the props department it's probably Snowden and Tim Mannah who look most likely.

Hunt and Poore are having good seasons, both were good last year (Poore was even very good in Origin) but because it's trendy to mock them, everyone thinks they're crap (moreso Poore than Hunt).

They just need to stamp some guys "do not pick no matter what" - namely Kimmorly; Barrett; Gidley; Monaghan (he looks pedestrian every time he pulls on the sky blue jersey); White; Creagh and O'Donnell. Those guys tend not to contribute, OR to contribute in a negative fashion most times they play.

petetheileet

First Grade
For the future...these 4 need to get involved, they need to be told now they will be involved even if they dont play for 2 or 3 years...get them ready

Mannah
Snowden
Hunt
Merrin

than any one in form in the outside backs to be picked.

spine should be:

1. Stewart
6. Sutton
7. Pearce
9. Farah

Eels Dude

Coach
Stewart is twice the FB Hayne is

Yeah... but by the time he's made his comeback from injury he'll have played 5 games in the space of 2 years. Not to mention the fact he faces the realistic chance of spending the next couple of years scrubbing toilets in Silverwater Prison.

Hardly a player you can suggest building a side around taking all that into account.

Yosh

Coach
1. Hayne
2. Uate
3. Lyon
5. Dugan
6. Mullen
7. Pearce
8. TLL
10. Snowden
13. Watmough

Gallen, Hindey and Mason also in there somewhere. Pretty solid team that'd stick together for the next 5 years at least.

Springs

First Grade
Hindmarsh should be nowhere near the side.

His talk of incumbancy on The Footy Show is all part of that old guard mentality that saw no players blooded during NSW's successful periods with players leading into retirement/ESL.

That and he just isn't that good anymore

Pfft. You do know that players 'blooded' during 00-05, our 'successful period', would now be late 20s? Incumbency has plenty of merit. Of course during 03-05 players were going to keep their spots, we were winning, but there were still young players blooded. Debutants in 03- Minichiello (23), Wing (23), Perry (22), Mason (23). Already in the side were Tahu (22), Lyon (21), Ryles (24). Then in 2004, Hornby (24), Lewis (21), Gasnier (22), Cooper (24), Rooney (21), Finch (22), Waterhouse (23), Kite (23), O'Hara (23). 2005- King (24), Watmough (21). 2006- Grothe (26), O'Donnell (25), Gallen (24).

So between 03-06 there were no players 'blooded', except of course for those eighteen. But then we also still had players like Gidley, Fitzgibbon, Hindmarsh, Ryan, Kennedy, Johns, Barrett, Bailey, Buderus, Menzies who were undoubtedly the best in their positions at the time. So what did you want them to do? Blood 18 year olds so we can win in 2010? Or keep swapping 25 year olds for 20 year olds?

We pick the best team, or we should (they haven't been for the last few years however), just like we will next year, hopefully. And is Hindmarsh good enough to be in the side? Of course he is. As is Gallen, Lewis and Watmough. It's pretty simple what we have to do, pick the best players in their right positions and stick with them. For me, our best players are Hayne, Morris, Jennings, Soward, Pearce, Hindmarsh, Gallen, Watmough and Lewis. They should be there for the next four games at least. Our best props at the moment are probably Snowden and Mannah, so we can add them as well. If we can keep eleven players together for the next four games, it will be a pretty good start.

BDH

Juniors
1. Hayne
6. Campese
7. Pearce (or Soward, but if I was a NSW I would be concerned with 2 small halves, so 1 of these guys and Campese)
9. Farah

Piggies; TLL, Watmough, O'Donnell

FastEddie

Juniors
Spot on Springs. Hindmarsh is awesome. Bends the line, pops offloads, good leg speed, hurts in defence. He's a f**king spastic who punches out Nick Graham like stats. Why don't we get some Andrew Ryan in there as well. Bring Fitzy back as well. There's 200 flops a game just from those 3. Throw in Luke Lewis to umm umm umm umm do whatever it is he does (I'm sure it's something) maybe some Beau Scott, Creagh and Idris. Some Ennis and that will have Qld quaking

Karlos

Juniors
1. Hayne
2. Jennings
3. Gasnier
4. Lyon
5. Morris
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Snowden
9. Farrah
10. Weyman
11. Gallen
12. Waterhouse
13. Lewis (C)

14. Bird
15. Watmough
16. TLL
17. Douglas

Gidley never again, Coopers past it, Hindmarsh past it, White not performing, Beau Scott? WTF?

Bird is a tosser but would like to see him and Gallen back in action together.

Doomednow

Bench
Dugan, Hayne, Morris, Jennings, Morris, Coote, Pearce, Snowden, Farah, Mannah, Lewis, Watmough, Stewart. Need to find a place for all these guys. I think either hayne or coote will end up a five-eight soon anyway, ala Darren Lockyer

I would love to see Coote pull on a NSW jumper, he's a personal favourite player and he's got the courage to turn up for origin. But I'm not sure he's ready yet. Also he's not likely to get a shot at fullback now that its been decided that its Hayne's position. Coote might miss out forever through timing and bad luck, which would be a shame. Unless of course he or Hayne move to five-eight like you say.

As for Hindmarsh... I like him. I think he's a champ of a player with the right attitude who goes out there and does his job. Does he deserve to be in the origin side? I'm not so sure. But there's definitely worse players we could have instead of him.

Also, would like to see Snowden and Tolman having a crack. And give Carney a chance. He has potential to show up big time for origin.

Apart from that I agree with most the popular suggestions on here. Farah (probably our best option, has shown he can work for the tigers), Jennings (if he can prove his knee really isn't a problem), Pearce, Lewis (can you tell I'm a panther's fan?), Watmough, etc.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Dugan, Morris, Morris, Lawrence, Jennings, Soward, Pearce, Lewis, Watmough, Gallen, Snowden, Farrah or Ennis (much of muchness), Weyman.

Wish we had a better & younger hooking option, and wish we had a reliable 'old head' in the halves for the experience/coolness factor. Also worried about Soward going in too early, but he's a better option than Campese...unless Campese's got a contract renewal coming up.

Selecting and sticking with the Morris boys will pay huge dividends for NSW.

farmeister

Juniors
Out of players who have played for NSW already, I would keep the following as the nucleus for Game 3 and beyond:

Hayne
B. Morris
Jennings
Pearce
Weyman
Farah
Gallen
Watmough
TLL
Lewis

What each of the above players has in common is either:

(1) he has played at least a couple of good games for NSW (e.g., Hayne, Watmough), or

(2) if he has not performed particularly well in Origin so far, at least he is freakishly talented and will almost certainly improve (e.g., Jennings, Farah, B. Morris), or

(3) Failing either of those criteria, he's simply "the best of a bad bunch" for NSW in his position (e.g., Pearce).

That leaves:

* Another center & winger J. Morris should be there I think -- I would love to see him partnered with his brother. I don't know about the winger though.

* A 5/8 I would like to say Campese, but he just isn't performing in the big games. Maybe it really is time to give Soward a go.

* 3 more props -- real props, not 2nd rowers being asked to play prop. Snowden should be there for sure, with Tolman, Douglas, Galloway, and Mannah all in the running.

* A utility With Lewis in the side, you don't necessarily need a Gidley-like utility who can cover six different positions. So I would take the opportunity to throw in someone like Carney who can bust a game wide open when the opposition starts tiring.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
Hayne
Dugan
Jennings
Lawrence
Mannah
Snowden
Pearce
Morris
Morris
Campese

I guess the line-up would be something like...

1 - Hayne
2 - Morris
3 - Lawrence
4 - Jennings
5 - Morris
6 - Campese
7 - Pearce
8 - Mannah
9 -
10 - Snowden
11 -
12 -
13 -

- Dugan
-
-
-

I think as long as the backs and props are in tact the second rowers and bench is easy to fill out with older players. Dugan has to be there somewhere.

Last edited:

Geohood

Bench
Alot of people are missing Carney and if he stays out of trouble and starts being picked at #6 for the Roosters then Carney/Pearce in the halves for NSW should eventuate.

Springs

First Grade
Spot on Springs. Hindmarsh is awesome. Bends the line, pops offloads, good leg speed, hurts in defence. He's a f**king spastic who punches out Nick Graham like stats. Why don't we get some Andrew Ryan in there as well. Bring Fitzy back as well. There's 200 flops a game just from those 3. Throw in Luke Lewis to umm umm umm umm do whatever it is he does (I'm sure it's something) maybe some Beau Scott, Creagh and Idris. Some Ennis and that will have Qld quaking

Wow you really are bitter. Ever say something positive?

Latest posts