What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pick your SOO 2021 Teams

King-Gutho94

Coach
So we play the Knights in Newcastle with all the origin players out.

Safe to say we will certainly be without Paulo. The ARL still hasnt determined in the 18th man will be allowed to play the week prior, and i think that spot will be Gutho's.

Eels missing Paulo (definite), Gutho (likely), Brown (possible), Matto (possible), Mahoney (Possible).

Knights missing Ponga (definite), Saifiti (definite), Frizell (definite), Klemmer (possible)

Do players miss a club game before the second game given its on a Sunday? If so we lose players again vs the dogs.Third game we have our bye, but play 48 hours after origin so unlikely we'd risk anyone by making them backup vs the titans

No round 13 against Newcastle is the only games origin players will be ineligible. Rest of the games will be up to the club management of players.

18th man is an interesting one. If Gutho is picked as 18th man why should he not play for Parramatta when he isnt in the starting 17. Even if he got used he isnt going to play 80 mins unless an injury in the warmup.

18th man in the past has always gone back and played for the clubs on the weekend if they were playing and returned to camp. Why should clubs be punished for a player that might potentially not play.

I remember Tariq sims was 18th man 7-8 years ago got released back to cowboys for the club game before origin and broke his leg so they had to find another player.

Josh morris made his origin debut as 19th man due to a late injury he played a club games 3 days before that.

eels_fan

First Grade
Yeah but 18th & 19th man used to basically be just in case of any injury in the warm up.

The 18th man now however is a real chance of getting on the field. Failed HIA and the offending player on report and is straight into the game

strider

Post Whore
Crichton is 1 week with an early plea i believe. So he will play.

Victor is gonskies .... alot of other middles could play for nsw but Nrown would have to be a chance ... i would think Jrbojevic, Murray, Funicane are the other possibles

Gronk

Staff member
Our origin schedule

Rnd 12: vs Bunnies

Rnd 13 vs Knights (away) without origin players.

Game 1

Rnd 14: vs Tigers (home)

Game 2: All teams get week off (no pacific nations tests this year bc world cup at end of year)

Rnd 15: vs Dogs (home)

Rnd 16: vs Panthers (away)

Rnd 17 Bye

Game 3

Rnd 18: Tits (away) Friday night after origin.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
With Crighton out you might think Matto comes into calculation. Potentially Jnr, RCG, Nrown, Matto, Gutho and Rheed all out. Also possible that none get picked.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
double. But I will take the opportunity to say that I'm now thinking Burton should be on the bench.

Last edited:

eels_fan

First Grade
Nrown & RCG didn’t do any harm to their chances yesterday.

you’d imagine the team will be decided upon in the next couple of days given it is to be announced on Sunday. Selectors won’t be having a meeting on Sunday to pick it, so the decisions will be made with this upcoming rounds form probably only counting for late replacements due to suspensions and injuries.

Radley, Paps and likely Crichton (challenging at the judiciary) are out from what the first choice 17 would have been.

The fact Nrown has been able to stay at his intense and aggressive best without being sin binned under these new interpretations probably elevated his chances.

Reed had his worse game of the season yesterday which is a real shame. They may go with Hunt at 9

hindy111

Post Whore
N.Brown is zero chance. He has two or three great carries a game and gets punished and driven backwards 3 or 4 times. Whilst the others are average.
He was exposed in origin last year and won't even get a mention.

Gutherson is not origin level. Solid but what would he add from the bench?
Great fullback but there is 3 x better ones.

Jnrs forms been average this season imo but has the quality.
Mahoney is a chance but I'd go Grant and B.Hunt at this point.
RCG is best chance and Jnr

TheParraboy

Staff member
Our origin schedule

Rnd 12: vs Bunnies

Rnd 13 vs Knights (away) without origin players.

Game 1

Rnd 14: vs Tigers (home)

Game 2: All teams get week off (no pacific nations tests this year bc world cup at end of year)

Rnd 15: vs Dogs (home)

Rnd 16: vs Panthers (away)

Rnd 17 Bye

Game 3

Rnd 18: Tits (away) Friday night after origin.

3rd Origin is in Sydney

We may not send our origin players to the gold Gold coast for an match 2 days later

eels_fan

First Grade
Ridiculous to say Brown was exposed in origin. He played at expected in the role and minutes Fitler played him. His aggression can change a game, and the other locks/second rowers being looked at (Jake t, Frizzel, Yeo) are hardly aggressive players. Brown is made for origin but needs to be used correctly.

I don’t think Gutho makes the 17, but he’d be a more then adequate 18th man if an illegal act or multiple concussions mean he comes into the game.

Paulo is a lock for the 17. He played well in origin last year, and hasn’t played poorly this season to the point of warranting losing his spot. Klemmer, Saifit and Frizzel have all been much worse to start the year.

RCG I think is a great chance, he’s bettered Paulo imo, hopefully the suspension this week doesn’t blow his chances

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeo, Jake,Murray are three best locks in comp and Brown won't get a mention.
Sure he is good but not origin level imo.

Gazzamatta

Coach
From what I've seen these past weeks I'd pick Tom T ahead of Falldesco.
Jnr has lost his offload and subsequent appeal.
Nrown won't challenge Jake T.
Matterson has had one really good game all season.
RCG should be a good chance.
Gutho misses out on the 17 but could be 18th man.
Fergo. No hope.
Oppy a chance for QLD and should be in the conversation.
Rheed is not committing the markers again. That 30 metre pass sh*ts me to tears but thats probably on BA.

Eelementary

Post Whore
From what I've seen these past weeks I'd pick Tom T ahead of Falldesco.
Jnr has lost his offload and subsequent appeal.
Nrown won't challenge Jake T.
Matterson has had one really good game all season.
RCG should be a good chance.
Gutho misses out on the 17 but could be 18th man.
Fergo. No hope.
Oppy a chance for QLD and should be in the conversation.
Rheed is not committing the markers again. That 30 metre pass sh*ts me to tears but thats probably on BA.

Dude - Matterson missed 4 weeks...bit harsh to say he's had one good game all season, when he spent 30% of it sitting on the sidelines, unable to play...

Gazzamatta

Coach
Dude - Matterson missed 4 weeks...bit harsh to say he's had one good game all season, when he spent 30% of it sitting on the sidelines, unable to play...
Whilst I agree it's certainly not a reason to select him. Like you I hope he returns to his best form. That stupid pass he did yesterday really annoyed me as did Cartwrights kick. WTF?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Whilst I agree it's certainly not a reason to select him. Like you I hope he returns to his best form. That stupid pass he did yesterday really annoyed me as did Cartwrights kick. WTF?

We were chasing points, and came up with some bone-headed plays, for sure.

As Matterson gets more match fitness, I'm sure he will get back to his absolute best.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't have many play origin. Paulo and RCG would be the only ones for the blues. Papenhuyzen out may give gutho a chance for the utility but i reckon jack wighton is ahead of him more for his build and size.

I would like mahoney to get a game more for his development playing origin will help him at back end of the year.

With the crackdown and fatigue leading to injuries atm. You could lose vital players for 3-4 weeks of the season. That was the only benefit of having origin at end of the year last year didnt affect club football.