What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PJ Being shopped around ?

Gronk

Staff member
This mornings Daily Telegraph claims that PJ's manager is shopping him around with other clubs even though he is under contract for 07.

Maybe Hagan sees the Morris/Riddell combo as a better option ?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Gronk said:
This mornings Daily Telegraph claims that PJ's manager is shopping him around with other clubs even though he is under contract for 07.

Maybe Hagan sees the Morris/Riddell combo as a better option ?

that's interesting...he is on a healthy contract too, so whoever wants to buy him will have to fork out a bit of money so it doesn't effect our cap limit.

Utey

Coach
Hopefully he stays, Morris/Riddell sounds good also. But we already let him go once surely we've learnt.

Stagger eel

Staff member
the club know what they're doing..

if he is being shopped around it could of 2 things.

1] Hages and Zap believe they can use the money else where..

2] They see Morris as a 9 and they have contingency plan for a 6 [which is a bit of a mystery considering our first option shafted us]

as it is we have a bit of money to spend and now we may have more..

jason taylor

Bench
what about if we get lance Hohaia for five eight he can be good.

bad thing he chages his form alot and linked to Tigers

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
eelavation said:
the club know what they're doing..

if he is being shopped around it could of 2 things.

1] Hages and Zap believe they can use the money else where..

2] They see Morris as a 9 and they have contingency plan for a 6 [which is a bit of a mystery considering our first option shafted us]

as it is we have a bit of money to spend and now we may have more..

if its to get Morris into a No 9 jersey, I'm in favour of it, but its a damn shame for PJ, who did the right thing and showed us some loyalty, unlike you know who

it just seems to me that the Eels are doing what they are accusing Judas of doing, and not showing loyalty to those who have shown loyalty to us

The Colonel

Immortal
jason taylor said:
what about if we get lance Hohaia for five eight he can be good.

bad thing he chages his form alot and linked to Tigers

He can be good but he can also be horrid. Leave him for the Tigers.

The Colonel

Immortal
I think Marsh and Morris would be a better option to Riddell and Morris. Strange to understand but if they have other options then who knows.

Interesting that Craig Wing is apparently unhappy at the Roosters. ;-) I'd only be happy to see PJ go if it was Wing coming though.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Twizzle said:
it just seems to me that the Eels are doing what they are accusing Judas of doing, and not showing loyalty to those who have shown loyalty to us

well, it's not as if PJ will be out of pocket..we will either need to pay him out or find a club that's suitable for PJ and who's willing to fork out the money.

I'd love to see Judas pay back the 100K we gave him for 1 match in 2004..

Kornstar

Coach
PJ really only showed us that loyalty because noone else wanted him at the time cause of his neck injury.....i always knew he would leave before his contract was up as he does not like being a bench player.

I remember he was whinging about being a bench player and wanted to start, then all of a sudden signed a 3 year deal........i found that strange

Gronk

Staff member
The Colonel said:
I think Marsh and Morris would be a better option to Riddell and Morris. Strange to understand but if they have other options then who knows.

Interesting that Craig Wing is apparently unhappy at the Roosters. ;-) I'd only be happy to see PJ go if it was Wing coming though.

Agree Wing would look great in the blue & gold. Are you suggesting that he plays at 6 or 9 though ?

Utey

Coach
Wing would be a brilliant signing. Can play halves, hooker. Good anywhere IMO.

The Colonel

Immortal
Gronk said:
Agree Wing would look great in the blue & gold. Are you suggesting that he plays at 6 or 9 though ?

6 or 9, hell he could play fullback if he wants to. :lol: Either way I'd be happy. Six would be nicest IMO.

It sounded more like to me that his manager was shopping him around moreso than the club. Maybe he has an option in his contract? ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
6 or 9, hell he could play fullback if he wants to. :lol: Either way I'd be happy. Six would be nicest IMO.

It sounded more like to me that his manager was shopping him around moreso than the club. Maybe he has an option in his contract? ;-)

I reckon Wing is the sort of player who would be unbelievable outside Smith, we definitely need a running 6 to compliment him.

Gronk

Staff member
eelavation said:
I reckon Wing is the sort of player who would be unbelievable outside Smith, we definitely need a running 6 to compliment him.

Agree. Signing Wing would make me so happy.

Judas Lyon can then take a long walk off a short pier.

Bigfella

Coach
Signing Wing IMO would not be the answer, unless he played as a 90 minute hooker.

The problem we have as a club is the same that faced Graham Murray on Wednesday night. Playing two hookers in the current game does not seem to be the strength that it was in say 2001.

On Wednesday Murray had to take his captain and one of his best players or waste an interchange. He opted to leave Buderus off. Wing did OK from dummy half, but not having Buderus when he physically could have played was a loss. Equally, playing such a physical game with one interchange short would have been a loss.

We saw the same situation in the Dragons game a few weeks ago. We took off PJ who was almost our best, to accommodate Riddell. Fair enough - not playing Riddell would have been shocking because he loomed as a strike weapon from close range. But we suffered for PJ being off the field all the same.

I believe we would need to:

a) Pick a 90 minute hooker from Riddell Marsh or PJ. Play one of the other two at least in the starting side in another position as cover in case of injury to the main hooker.

b) Cut one of the three to acquire a backrower or prop.

At present I believe hookers off the bench are NOT effective.

Cases in point:

1) Best hookers in current game are Smith Buderus and Priddis. By a long shot.

2) The noted "interchange" hookers in the comp - Riddell, PJ, Wing are all performing well below their previous best seasons.

3) Clubs in top 8 tend to have 80 minute hookers.

It just seems we have misread the nature of the game this season. It is a slower game, with longer play the balls. Hookers don't have the time and distance they had in say 2001 to run at a retreating defence.

To get back on track with this thread, I believe replacing PJ with Wing does not address the main issue - that the off the bench hooker is not as valuable in the current game.

The problem is not that PJ Riddell or Morris can't play - they have been among our top 3. The problem surely is the way they are being used.