What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PJ Being shopped around ?

Gronk

Staff member
Bigfella said:
Signing Wing IMO would not be the answer, unless he played as a 90 minute hooker.

The problem we have as a club is the same that faced Graham Murray on Wednesday night. Playing two hookers in the current game does not seem to be the strength that it was in say 2001.

On Wednesday Murray had to take his captain and one of his best players or waste an interchange. He opted to leave Buderus off. Wing did OK from dummy half, but not having Buderus when he physically could have played was a loss. Equally, playing such a physical game with one interchange short would have been a loss.

We saw the same situation in the Dragons game a few weeks ago. We took off PJ who was almost our best, to accommodate Riddell. Fair enough - not playing Riddell would have been shocking because he loomed as a strike weapon from close range. But we suffered for PJ being off the field all the same.

I believe we would need to:

a) Pick a 90 minute hooker from Riddell Marsh or PJ. Play one of the other two at least in the starting side in another position as cover in case of injury to the main hooker.

b) Cut one of the three to acquire a backrower or prop.

At present I believe hookers off the bench are NOT effective.

Cases in point:

1) Best hookers in current game are Smith Buderus and Priddis. By a long shot.

2) The noted "interchange" hookers in the comp - Riddell, PJ, Wing are all performing well below their previous best seasons.

3) Clubs in top 8 tend to have 80 minute hookers.

It just seems we have misread the nature of the game this season. It is a slower game, with longer play the balls. Hookers don't have the time and distance they had in say 2001 to run at a retreating defence.

To get back on track with this thread, I believe replacing PJ with Wing does not address the main issue - that the off the bench hooker is not as valuable in the current game.

The problem is not that PJ Riddell or Morris can't play - they have been among our top 3. The problem surely is the way they are being used.

Good post Big fella. I would be happy for Wing to play the running 5/8 role, for Morris to play full time 9 and for Piggy to lose some of that weight and play from the bench as a ball playing-tactical kicking-backrower.

The Colonel

Immortal
Bigfella said:
Signing Wing IMO would not be the answer, unless he played as a 90 minute hooker.

You've been watching to much of the World Cup. 80 minutes would be fine. ;-)

Cowboys effectively run three hookers - Faiumu, Payne and Jensen.

Dragons rotate Gorrell and Young though Young plays the full 80.

Broncos rotate two - McGuire and whoever it is on the day.

The situation at Parramatta works if we get a good roll on.

Utey

Coach
If Wing came surely it would be in the halves, he won a premiership there. Good running 5/8.

dazeely

First Grade
I agree with both Bigfella & Gronk. But would be happy with either PJ or Morris. Hopefully we don't lose both.

Other in form hookers would be Farrar (Tigers) & Young (Dragons). Great players IMO. Wing is very lucky to still have his bench spot for the Blues. Is no where near the player his was.

If the rumours are true and we lose Widders I would stick a rocket up Riddell first and get him at peak fitness and then play him more as a second row from the bench (impact). Leave your hooker & both halves on for full 80min. Have a few metre eaters / go forward props on the bench.

dazeely

First Grade
Also think we need a utility type player like Wagon , O'Dwyer to play at lock that can be called upon if needed (eg injuries) to play in the backline.

I realize Wagon is almost done and O'Dwyer has gone but someone similar to them.

therefore:

6. ?????
7. T Smith

13. Wagon (or someone similar- utility)
12. Fitzgibbon or Nate Myles
11. Hindy
10. Asotasi
9. PJ or Morris
8. Cayless

14. Piggy
15. Fui
16. Tsolous or Cordoba
17. Chad (can be called to play up front )

** assuming Widders will move on

Bigfella

Coach
Excellent point, Colonel.

Although a 90 minute player would be a real advantage in golden point matches!

Bigfella

Coach
Actually, Aaron Cannings turned out to be a 90 minute player ... unfortunately it was over 3 seasons!

James_Hardie

Juniors
I don't think Craig Wing is the answer.

He shouldn't be getting picked in the NSW side as he has been getting picked on reputation as much as anything. The number of good games he has played in the last two years is alot fewer than PJ. People often whinge when we sign players who are past their best, and signing Wing would be another example of that.

If it is true that PJ wants to leave with a year still to run on his contract, that strikes me as quite concerning..

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
Sign Wing eh? Great! Just what we all need! Another stop gap five eighth!

in a situation we are in and the fact that there's only a few if any players on the market that are capable of making a fist at 6, who else would you suggest?

James_Hardie

Juniors
eelavation said:
in a situation we are in and the fact that there's only a few if any players on the market that are capable of making a fist at 6, who else would you suggest?
For me:

Travis Burns for youth
or Scott Hill for experience.

Both genuine 5/8's.

Stagger eel

Staff member
James_Hardie said:
For me:

Travis Burns for youth

Both genuine 5/8's.

good call..

at the moment, I would be ecstatic with any of the 3 mentioned, although i would sign Hill for any more than a 1 year deal.

the_eel

Juniors
James_Hardie said:
For me:

Travis Burns for youth

Both genuine 5/8's.

Can't argue with you on Travis Burns but as much as Scott Hill is a good player on his day he's way to injury prone for my liking.....actually reminds me of Adam Dykes a bit.

I'm not a huge Craig Wing fan either but of all the options left on the market he would probably be my first choice. I still believe that we are on more need of big forwards like Asotasi though and that if we can get the go forward up front then Smith, Morris and maybe Green could be quite competent as the halves.

James_Hardie

Juniors
eelavation said:
good call..

at the moment, I would be ecstatic with any of the 3 mentioned, although i would sign Hill for any more than a 1 year deal.

One year with a one year option or something would be do me. Especially if we kept Blake. I think he needs one more year in lower grades (maybe with one or two games in the top grade next year)

Stagger eel

Staff member
James_Hardie said:
One year with a one year option or something would be do me. Especially if we kept Blake. I think he needs one more year in lower grades (maybe with one or two games in the top grade next year)

well since Judas did the dirty on us again it's become apparent as far as I'm concerned that Blake Green should be a priority, no matter who we may get for the position.

The problem is I don't know whether Hagan thinks so.

yy_cheng

Coach
I know that this has been said and has been shown with Anasta and Finch in SOO1 and Timmy and Morris in '05, that behind a good forward pack.....

13. J Smith/Scott Hill
12. Thompson
11. Hindy
10. Asotasi
9. Riddell
8. Cayless

14. PJ
15. Moimoi
16. <Youngster> - Tsolous
17. <Youngster> - Cordorba, Taia, etc

That pack should help Timmy and however our 5/8th is some space.

I know it's a VINTAGE pack, but it's also just to buy time until better players come on the market or our youngsters gets up to speed.

The young guys needs a good pack to help with their education.

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:

I would just do what the Tigers did in 2004/2005 and put our trust in the younger guys. We have nothing to lose really. Our premier league side is pretty strong and even if they don't perform I believe it's a better option than just buying players for the hell of it and depleting funds for which we can buy players for 2008. Everybody has alot of wraps on Green so let's see how he goes. At the moment the only players I would be throwing money at are genuine superstars who would strengthen our team such as Asotasi, Simpson, Myles not just make up the numbers.