What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PJ Being shopped around ?

jayjayselmes

Juniors
Kornstar said:
I think jayjayselmes needs to take his medicine......Lyon and Morris in the halves????? We would have absolutely no direction!!!!!!!

apposed to what kornstar what we have now is clearly not working. What direction has tim shown this year????

NONE thats right going a little tough and crumbles like a baby.

I had a good chuckle at this post saying wed have no direction and its like as if we have f*** all direction with smith on the field now anyway and we wouldnt have any wih that combo must be better than what we have noe surely thats is PROVEN to not work and its not john moriss at all hahhahahaha

good post i love it havent had such a good belly laugh in ages

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
well said!!

I'll tell you now..our football manager has been working 24/7 towards shoreing up our player roster for next season..I'm not saying that will be making several major signings but I will say that they are definitely on the look for a few big names.

they won't die wondering.

Have we even been talking to any players? All I hear is that we're releasing players left right and centre but I don't hear about any expressions of interest (apart from Lyon). If not, why haven't we been talking to the likes of Kidwell and Asotasi? Yes I know Kidwell has signed with the Rabbits but I didn't even hear a murmur about even possibly signing him when he was off contract.

If you do have any inside info what players are we looking at eelavation?

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
Have we even been talking to any players? All I hear is that we're releasing players left right and centre but I don't hear about any expressions of interest (apart from Lyon). If not, why haven't we been talking to the likes of Kidwell and Asotasi? Yes I know Kidwell has signed with the Rabbits but I didn't even hear a murmur about even possibly signing him when he was off contract.

If you do have any inside info what players are we looking at eelavation?

I mentioned on another thread that unlike alot of other clubs, Parra are not beating their chest about big signings, neither is there any murmur, innuendo or rumours about big signings..but i ask you!!! does there need to be??????..I was told the other day that Tony Zappia is working extremely hard at signing players and is also keeping things very close to his chest..you don't have to be eintsein to realise that we actually have money to spend this season and that we're being less transparent than other clubs such as Souths, gold Coast and the roosters..

I did hear that we're looking at up to 3 marquee signings, whether we achieve that or not is another thing, but there's been no name mentioned however I did hear Roy Asotasi's name thrown up in different circles, but that to me, means jack sh*tt.

Why is it that you need to hear names to feel reassured about the future of the club??..I don't know any names.. but I do trust the judgement of the people concerned to achieve their goal..just wait and see like the rest of us, and I'm sure in due course you'll see a name thrown up in the media and i have no doubt that when you do you'll findly get some sleep.

just relax.

Eelementary

Post Whore
eelavation said:
I mentioned on another thread that unlike alot of other clubs, Parra are not beating their chest about big signings, neither is there any murmur, innuendo or rumours about big signings..but i ask you!!! does there need to be??????..I was told the other day that Tony Zappia is working extremely hard at signing players and is also keeping things very close to his chest..you don't have to be eintsein to realise that we actually have money to spend this season and that we're being less transparent than other clubs such as Souths, gold Coast and the roosters..

I did hear that we're looking at up to 3 marquee signings, whether we achieve that or not is another thing, but there's been no name mentioned however I did hear Roy Asotasi's name thrown up in different circles, but that to me, means jack sh*tt.

Why is it that you need to hear names to feel reassured about the future of the club??..I don't know any names.. but I do trust the judgement of the people concerned to achieve their goal..just wait and see like the rest of us, and I'm sure in due course you'll see a name thrown up in the media and i have no doubt that when you do you'll findly get some sleep.

just relax.

"Big name players"...Are they players in the vein of your Kurt Gidleys, or are they more your Ben Kennedy-types?

Because we need REAL big names.

Stagger eel

Staff member
And another thing Lucablight,

Roosters: Morely, Cross and Fitzgibbon

Tigers: Prince, Lafranchi and Skandalas

Souths: McDougall brothers

Cronulla: Bailey and Vagana

Saints: Barrett and Bailey

Do you think we're the only club losing players??????

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelementary said:
"Big name players"...Are they players in the vein of your Kurt Gidleys, or are they more your Ben Kennedy-types?

Because we need REAL big names.

first of all i already mentionmed Asotasi's name..

secondly, check the calender, that's right it's June 17!!!!!!..we're still 2 weeks away from making formal offers to players from other clubs.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I know you mentioned Roy. But I just doubt we'll get him, that's all.

I know we're 2 weeks away from the deadline, but as far as I'm concerned, 2006 died a few weeks ago, and I'm looking forward to a possible good season in 2007.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelementary said:
I know you mentioned Roy. But I just doubt we'll get him, that's all.

I know we're 2 weeks away from the deadline, but as far as I'm concerned, 2006 died a few weeks ago, and I'm looking forward to a possible good season in 2007.

guess what? I was told that we're going after Tahu a few years ago and honestly believed that we'd never get him. look what happened??

l;et's see what happens.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
jayjayselmes said:
apposed to what kornstar what we have now is clearly not working. What direction has tim shown this year????

NONE thats right going a little tough and crumbles like a baby.

I had a good chuckle at this post saying wed have no direction and its like as if we have f*** all direction with smith on the field now anyway and we wouldnt have any wih that combo must be better than what we have noe surely thats is PROVEN to not work and its not john moriss at all hahhahahaha

good post i love it havent had such a good belly laugh in ages

The last club that tried to play a hooker and a centre in the halves was Penrith in 2002 and they ran last (or close enough to it). At least they played them the right way though, Lyon at halfback? Are you taking the piss?

Anyway, I don't know why you're bashing Tim and defending Morris, after it was Tim who made Morris look like a half decent five-eighth last year. What's Morris done for us this year? Tim has a good kicking game and his passing, while it could use work in terms of direction, is still high quality. Plus he's 21, but you want him out in favour of Morris who will be turning 27 and has never shown anything in the halves without having it hand fed to him?

If PJ is released then I hope one of these major signings is Mathew Head, he won the match for the Dragons again. I can't remember the last time we had a halfback that won the tight games for us. Move Tim to 6 with Head at 7 and Morris in his rightful position of hooker. Could fix quite a few problems for us, I'd rather see Riddell released before Marsh though.

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:

just relax.

On the news I hear things like Asotasi meeting with the Roosters and Rabbits but I don't hear any mention of the Eels. I hear Vagana is rumoured to sign with Souths and Lo and behold he signs with Souths. I hear Kidwell is being looked at by Souths and he signs with them. The only rumours you seem to hear about Parramatta are the ones about player X walking out or threatening to walk out. I could have put my house on the line before regarding Lyon signing but even he has backed out! It seems like the only publicity we're getting is negative publicity. The media simply reports play X had a meeting with Club Y. It disappoints me greatly when we seem to be sitting back watching the castle collapse while other clubs are in talks with potential marquee signings.

I don't see what management has to lose if they go public with the players they are interested in signing. With the horrid season we're having coupled with them seemingly keeping quiet it just gives alot of the fans the impression that nothing is happening and pretty soon there is going to be no one left. At least by speaking out it will gives the fans something to hope for and it'll at least look like they're trying to rectify the situation. I'm sure the club is looking at signing new players as you said you don't need to be Einstein to figure out changes need to be made but I don't think staying quiet is the way to go.

eelavation said:
And another thing Lucablight,

Roosters: Morely, Cross and Fitzgibbon

Tigers: Prince, Lafranchi and Skandalas

Souths: McDougall brothers

Cronulla: Bailey and Vagana

Saints: Barrett and Bailey

Do you think we're the only club losing players??????

TBH I couldn't care less if other clubs are losing players. In fact that's all the better for us if the opposition is all the weaker. The only club I am interested in is the Eels. Let's not forget that the other clubs losing players aren't currently sitting 2nd last on the ladder below even a club which had 4 points deducted before the start of the comp. Also another point the thing that concerns me isn't just losing players. It's the current crop of players we will still have that don't seem up to that job.

Eelementary

Post Whore
eelavation said:
guess what? I was told that we're going after Tahu a few years ago and honestly believed that we'd never get him. look what happened??

l;et's see what happens.

Fair enough mate!

I hope we get some stars...I'm astounded as to what else could possibly go wrong this season...

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
On the news I hear things like Asotasi meeting with the Roosters and Rabbits but I don't hear any mention of the Eels. I hear Vagana is rumoured to sign with Souths and Lo and behold he signs with Souths. I hear Kidwell is being looked at by Souths and he signs with them. The only rumours you seem to hear about Parramatta are the ones about player X walking out or threatening to walk out. I could have put my house on the line before regarding Lyon signing but even he has backed out! It seems like the only publicity we're getting is negative publicity. The media simply reports play X had a meeting with Club Y. It disappoints me greatly when we seem to be sitting back watching the castle collapse while other clubs are in talks with potential marquee signings.

I don't see what management has to lose if they go public with the players they are interested in signing. With the horrid season we're having coupled with them seemingly keeping quiet it just gives alot of the fans the impression that nothing is happening and pretty soon there is going to be no one left. At least by speaking out it will gives the fans something to hope for and it'll at least look like they're trying to rectify the situation. I'm sure the club is looking at signing new players as you said you don't need to be Einstein to figure out changes need to be made but I don't think staying quiet is the way to go.

TBH I couldn't care less if other clubs are losing players. In fact that's all the better for us if the opposition is all the weaker. The only club I am interested in is the Eels. Let's not forget that the other clubs losing players aren't currently sitting 2nd last on the ladder below even a club which had 4 points deducted before the start of the comp. Also another point the thing that concerns me isn't just losing players. It's the current crop of players we will still have that don't seem up to that job.

well mate, you seem to care enough to know what players those clubs are also chasing, look, you want to believe what you read, that's up to you, if you're that concerned about it and that you won't sleep at night, talk to or send Damian Kelly an e-mail or if you're at the ground and you see Tony Zappia, go up and have a chat to him, I'm sure they'll try and set your mind at ease.

At the moment we just don't have a halfback. With all due respect to Tim, he just hasn't cut the mustard yet and he has about two weeks to prove he still has it before the Club has to make serious decisions about whether to chase another halfback or not. We won't be able to wait and give him too much time because as we all know by the end of July any player worth his salt is usually signed and delivered for the following year already.

At present, I would be looking at another half option for 07.

Is PJ an option? Yes. He played well at the Warriors when in halves and we had a mini-turn around here at Parra when he was switched with McFadden late in the year. But now we'd have to decide whether to play him over the next two or three weeks to give him the chance to prove that he has what it takes. Doesn't look like we will be doing that.

The other thing is that in order to take the chance on someone over the next 3 or 4 weeks (Marsh, Green etc) we have to be willing to risk the slim chance that we still have of making the finals. Playing an untried is a gamble that could very well backfire, and if we don't win our next three games we can probably shut the door, even mathematically.

So do we play our team looking at 07 and give up on this year, or forge on trying to make the semis this year and miss the opportunity to trial potential halfbacks that are already within our Club?

5/8? Morris is the man. Just look at the Dragons game - great kicking in such terrible conditions, moved the team around well and slotted us a crucial field goal under pressure when we needed it. Give him a good halfback and he will blossom - just like he did last year when Tim played out of his skin.

Hooker? Well, I'm not a big fan of Riddell this season but as a bench hooker he gives us that extra option of being able to play as a backrower. If we have a starting utility at lock that can cover the centres in an emergency then I believe Riddell becomes an even better option on the bench. Having said that, I'm still not a fan of his this season, as he appears to slow, fat and indecisive.

My thoughts? buy Wing, play him at hooker. Play a PJ/Morris halves combo and we have potential substitutes all over the park. Timmy at half, Morris at hooker, Wing at half, PJ at five-eighth. Riddell at hooker, Wing to the halves. Jeremy Smith at five-eighth, Morris at hooker, Wing off the bench. Well, you get the idea.

But there will be no use buying Wing, Head or whoever is our forwards are still creampuffs. Asotasi and one of the young Dragons forwards are a must. Without them to back up Fui, our halves would get no decent ball. Even Johns or Kimmorley couldn't play behind our forward pack at the moment.

Stagger eel

Staff member
at the end of the day HJ, Joey couldn't perform behind a lacklustre pack like ours.

end of story.

And for the record - I believe a quiet Club (in terms of recruitment) can be a bad thing. Players coming off contract might like to hear about other players interested in going to our Club, and it might entice them to follow suit (like they are trying to do with Asotasi/Vagana at Souths).

What would I do? Hold an Open Day at the Club for all off contract players. Put on a big hoopla about our Club and what we want, where we want to go etc, and see who bites. Having 20 or so players there at once (big names, good juniors, guys wanting to make a name for themselves) could be a good thing because they could feed off each others' positivity at what they see. Might even start talking amongst themselves and start forming little mini-groups etc etc.

We'd already know who we wanted, but good chance for them to see each other, see the possibilities all together at once, and then see who walks away with that considering look on their faces.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hollywood Jesus said:
And for the record - I believe a quiet Club (in terms of recruitment) can be a bad thing. Players coming off contract might like to hear about other players interested in going to our Club, and it might entice them to follow suit (like they are trying to do with Asotasi/Vagana at Souths).

What would I do? Hold an Open Day at the Club for all off contract players. Put on a big hoopla about our Club and what we want, where we want to go etc, and see who bites. Having 20 or so players there at once (big names, good juniors, guys wanting to make a name for themselves) could be a good thing because they could feed off each others' positivity at what they see. Might even start talking amongst themselves and start forming little mini-groups etc etc.

We'd already know who we wanted, but good chance for them to see each other, see the possibilities all together at once, and then see who walks away with that considering look on their faces.

mate, the players that we're interested in would know who else we're after, we don't have to know..

2 years ago when we signed Pig he was told of the calibre of players we were after and knew well before the public did that we would sign the likes of T and Moro to go with his signature. he even hinted it at an interview just after he put pen to paper.

Agent Mulder

Bench
eelavation said:

just relax.

Thank God, Couldn't agree more with you, We only need a 5/8th, a Backrower and a Frontrower anyway, Its not even June 30th yet, I reckon The Eels will make some very good signings, And im sure Hagan is also looking around for us.

Shame with Lyon not coming now that we couldn't get a hold of Jarrod Mullen.

Kornstar

Coach
eelavation said:
at the end of the day HJ, Joey couldn't perform behind a lacklustre pack like ours.

end of story.

Eela has hit the nail on the head......if our forwards were giving our halves any room this year, we would be sitting alot higher on the ladder......simple .