What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PJ Being shopped around ?

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I'm expecting we will sign a few quality players.

The money should be no problem with the players we are losing or likely to lose.

Hopefully they are already done deals by now too, and they are just waiting to announce them. Otherwise it is probably too late.

Maybe thats why PJ is being shopped around. So we have enough cap space to fit all the new signings under.

Sean7

Juniors
I'd be putting all our money into a few props. The props not making metres also makes it hard for the backrowers who should be able to work off the momentum generated by the props making metres off the tough hit-ups early in the tackle count.

Our props are letting the side down big time (Moi-Moi excepted), though I'm not convinced he's the starting prop we need. He could be an extremely damaging backrower if we had the props to allow him to move back there and he got his fitness levels up to the required standard.

Our poor season pretty much boils down to our props underperforming. Cayless should be cut or take a big cut. He isn't worth the money. He's never stood up when it's counted. Even in our good seasons.

Oh yeah. And if PJ leaves, I don't think it's a big deal.

Kornstar said:
Eela has hit the nail on the head......if our forwards were giving our halves any room this year, we would be sitting alot higher on the ladder......simple .

Hello? lol

Read the last sentence of my post!!!!!!! I'd already hit the nail on the head before 'vation even picked up his hammer :p

Eelementary

Post Whore
I love the Fuimester, but I think we'd be better served with a fitter Tsoulos starting and Moimoi off the bench.

HJ, you make some very good points.

And guys - all this hoopla about, "It's a shame we couldn't get Mullen..." Yes, it is. BUT we still do have Blake Green, and he could be anything...

I just hope we retain him!

Angry_eel

First Grade
Eelementary said:
I love the Fuimester, but I think we'd be better served with a fitter Tsoulos starting and Moimoi off the bench.

HJ, you make some very good points.

And guys - all this hoopla about, "It's a shame we couldn't get Mullen..." Yes, it is. BUT we still do have Blake Green, and he could be anything...

I just hope we retain him!
i reckon the season is gone anyway, we'd be better off sending pig, tsoulos and a couple of others to weight watchers now. if not weight watchers then some heavy fitness training at a local gym where hopefully they will realise how overweight they are.

MrT

Juniors
Can't believe we're losing PJ. he's the fastest dummy half at the club. We haven't got the fowards to give him the room up the middle. If he was playing at the Dogs, I reckon he could have even made origin. Everyone would be saying how great he is. Now were looking to buy quality fowards but offload our 2 best hookers PJ and Morris....absolute joke. What's the point of having good fowards going over the advantage line when you have a pig at dummyhalf that's slower than me after 30 bourbons. Riddell at dummy half isn't the answer, like I've said previously, Riddell is neither a good hooker nor a good backrower yet he's on 300k

Parra Guru

Coach
I don't think PJ would be a massive loss, and his heart's not totally with the Eels IMO.

Isn't it funny how so many people are putting Morris on the chopping block, I mean, I'm not a huge fan of him at 5/8, but he's the only unsigned player so far to put his hand up and say that he is keen to stay with the club. I'd like him to be the starting hooker next year. He is at his best in the #9.

Parra Guru

Coach
Hollywood Jesus said:
At the moment we just don't have a halfback. With all due respect to Tim, he just hasn't cut the mustard yet and he has about two weeks to prove he still has it before the Club has to make serious decisions about whether to chase another halfback or not. We won't be able to wait and give him too much time because as we all know by the end of July any player worth his salt is usually signed and delivered for the following year already.

At present, I would be looking at another half option for 07.

Is PJ an option? Yes. He played well at the Warriors when in halves and we had a mini-turn around here at Parra when he was switched with McFadden late in the year. But now we'd have to decide whether to play him over the next two or three weeks to give him the chance to prove that he has what it takes. Doesn't look like we will be doing that.

The other thing is that in order to take the chance on someone over the next 3 or 4 weeks (Marsh, Green etc) we have to be willing to risk the slim chance that we still have of making the finals. Playing an untried is a gamble that could very well backfire, and if we don't win our next three games we can probably shut the door, even mathematically.

So do we play our team looking at 07 and give up on this year, or forge on trying to make the semis this year and miss the opportunity to trial potential halfbacks that are already within our Club?

5/8? Morris is the man. Just look at the Dragons game - great kicking in such terrible conditions, moved the team around well and slotted us a crucial field goal under pressure when we needed it. Give him a good halfback and he will blossom - just like he did last year when Tim played out of his skin.

Hooker? Well, I'm not a big fan of Riddell this season but as a bench hooker he gives us that extra option of being able to play as a backrower. If we have a starting utility at lock that can cover the centres in an emergency then I believe Riddell becomes an even better option on the bench. Having said that, I'm still not a fan of his this season, as he appears to slow, fat and indecisive.

My thoughts? buy Wing, play him at hooker. Play a PJ/Morris halves combo and we have potential substitutes all over the park. Timmy at half, Morris at hooker, Wing at half, PJ at five-eighth. Riddell at hooker, Wing to the halves. Jeremy Smith at five-eighth, Morris at hooker, Wing off the bench. Well, you get the idea.

But there will be no use buying Wing, Head or whoever is our forwards are still creampuffs. Asotasi and one of the young Dragons forwards are a must. Without them to back up Fui, our halves would get no decent ball. Even Johns or Kimmorley couldn't play behind our forward pack at the moment.

Totally agree

I pretty much agree with most of this, although I think Tim Smith needs some time to come good. PJ would not be a long term solution for me in the halves.

lucablight

First Grade
Hollywood Jesus said:
At the moment we just don't have a halfback. With all due respect to Tim, he just hasn't cut the mustard yet and he has about two weeks to prove he still has it before the Club has to make serious decisions about whether to chase another halfback or not. We won't be able to wait and give him too much time because as we all know by the end of July any player worth his salt is usually signed and delivered for the following year already.

At present, I would be looking at another half option for 07.

Is PJ an option? Yes. He played well at the Warriors when in halves and we had a mini-turn around here at Parra when he was switched with McFadden late in the year. But now we'd have to decide whether to play him over the next two or three weeks to give him the chance to prove that he has what it takes. Doesn't look like we will be doing that.

The other thing is that in order to take the chance on someone over the next 3 or 4 weeks (Marsh, Green etc) we have to be willing to risk the slim chance that we still have of making the finals. Playing an untried is a gamble that could very well backfire, and if we don't win our next three games we can probably shut the door, even mathematically.

So do we play our team looking at 07 and give up on this year, or forge on trying to make the semis this year and miss the opportunity to trial potential halfbacks that are already within our Club?

5/8? Morris is the man. Just look at the Dragons game - great kicking in such terrible conditions, moved the team around well and slotted us a crucial field goal under pressure when we needed it. Give him a good halfback and he will blossom - just like he did last year when Tim played out of his skin.

Hooker? Well, I'm not a big fan of Riddell this season but as a bench hooker he gives us that extra option of being able to play as a backrower. If we have a starting utility at lock that can cover the centres in an emergency then I believe Riddell becomes an even better option on the bench. Having said that, I'm still not a fan of his this season, as he appears to slow, fat and indecisive.

My thoughts? buy Wing, play him at hooker. Play a PJ/Morris halves combo and we have potential substitutes all over the park. Timmy at half, Morris at hooker, Wing at half, PJ at five-eighth. Riddell at hooker, Wing to the halves. Jeremy Smith at five-eighth, Morris at hooker, Wing off the bench. Well, you get the idea.

But there will be no use buying Wing, Head or whoever is our forwards are still creampuffs. Asotasi and one of the young Dragons forwards are a must. Without them to back up Fui, our halves would get no decent ball. Even Johns or Kimmorley couldn't play behind our forward pack at the moment.

1.) PJ played a couple of games at five eighth at most for the warriors but he played his best football by far at hooker. Also PJ was never switched with McFadden because he was with us in 2002 and PJ had left by then.

2.) Morris........great kicking game......err...

3.) We already have two 80 min hookers in Marsh and Morris and another in Riddell? How many do you want? Wing is a mere shadow of the player he once was. Do we need more underachieving players?

lucablight

First Grade
Parra Guru said:
I don't think PJ would be a massive loss, and his heart's not totally with the Eels IMO.

Isn't it funny how so many people are putting Morris on the chopping block, I mean, I'm not a huge fan of him at 5/8, but he's the only unsigned player so far to put his hand up and say that he is keen to stay with the club. I'd like him to be the starting hooker next year. He is at his best in the #9.

So did Lyon........

Also to those saying Marsh wouldn't be a huge loss I say losing both Marsh and Morris at the same time would be a huge disaster.