What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plastic Merkin - Chucker Trophy. Aussie Team and predictions

Hohns and Chappell are so out of touch...I've got issues with Patterson and his conversion rate, but he had to come into the squad over Renshaw.

England have the right approach to selectors... We do not. At all. Does Trevor Hohns even know that cricket is still played?

If the conversion rate for Patterson has been the issue it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, Travis Head has an even worse conversion. Head has 7 Tons & 35 fifties, Patterson has 6 tons & 26 fifties.

Timbo

Staff member
Dead right. I’d be in favour of having professional scouts in cricket, not these old ex cricketers. The idea you need to have played the game at a high level in order to be a selector is absurd, professional sports overseas don’t operate that way.

You’re not wrong and it hadn’t even occurred to me how much having ex-players as selectors is part of the problem.

We have to get away from this model of having to have been a player to be in any sort of administrative role. The two roles are not the same.

I’m very concerned that the administrators mentality seems to be at present ‘we’re in a lull, this will fix itself over time’ because that is what the WICB has been saying for two decades now. How’s it working for them.

Bazal

Post Whore
You’re not wrong and it hadn’t even occurred to me how much having ex-players as selectors is part of the problem.

We have to get away from this model of having to have been a player to be in any sort of administrative role. The two roles are not the same.

I’m very concerned that the administrators mentality seems to be at present ‘we’re in a lull, this will fix itself over time’ because that is what the WICB has been saying for two decades now. How’s it working for them.

Ex-players in selection roles is fine. The issue is, Hohns and Chappell for eg are players from the 70s and 80s. We've had 3-4 generations of players since Hohns quit the game and more since Chappell.

They have no idea what's going on in the game. They've got no sense of the game anymore.

England's panel is James Taylor and Ed Smith. Taylor was playing county cricket two years ago and Smith 10 years ago. They know the players, they know the wickets, they know the teams, they know the coaches. Especially Taylor, who was playing with these guys two summers ago. He knows what runs at Nottingham mean as opposed to runs at Lords, or what bags of wickets mean at different grounds around the country.

We need to stop this reliance on old "greats", especially as they get older and further out of touch

Mr Spock!

Referee
Didn't we beat England 4-0....12 months ago....

English selectors have improved since then while ours become old, out of touch and senile.

Bazal

Post Whore
Didn't we beat England 4-0....12 months ago....

English selectors have improved since then while ours become old, out of touch and senile.

You're in the same basket as Hohns and Chappell, except you're just a random blow in. No idea.

Instead of fixating on one series, why not have a look at how once-lowly England have fared in the test and ODI rankings over the past four or five years compared to us?

Mr Spock!

Referee
You're in the same basket as Hohns and Chappell, except you're just a random blow in. No idea.

Instead of fixating on one series, why not have a look at how once-lowly England have fared in the test and ODI rankings over the past four or five years compared to us?
Didn't we beat England 4 zip, 12 months ago...

Hopefully the English selectors give us more Stoneham, Mason Crane...

Ex-players in selection roles is fine. The issue is, Hohns and Chappell for eg are players from the 70s and 80s. We've had 3-4 generations of players since Hohns quit the game and more since Chappell.

They have no idea what's going on in the game. They've got no sense of the game anymore.

England's panel is James Taylor and Ed Smith. Taylor was playing county cricket two years ago and Smith 10 years ago. They know the players, they know the wickets, they know the teams, they know the coaches. Especially Taylor, who was playing with these guys two summers ago. He knows what runs at Nottingham mean as opposed to runs at Lords, or what bags of wickets mean at different grounds around the country.

We need to stop this reliance on old "greats", especially as they get older and further out of touch

Old greats is what I meant, I mean you need some background in cricket, but you don’t have to have played in the baggy green. There’s experts that can identify talent without having played at the highest level, baseball is famous for it.

Eelectrica

Referee
No question our selectors need replacing. Not news. The question is who replaces them and if they'd be interested in the job.
Ed Cowan is a name I'd throw out there. Has good knowledge and knows the players.
Makes a lot of sense on the radio. Only question if he's even interested would be if he could make the tough to decision to drop someone who needed to be dropped.

The whole Renshaw thing is just bizarre. They don't pick him when he's actually in form, now that his form is so ice cold as to be unselectable, he's selected. Granted he's not the test 11 just yet. Hopefully he rediscovers form soon.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Ok

20 matches
36 inns
3 no
1400 runs
Average 42
6 hundreds
4 50s

Renshaw's 2018 first class stats. 513 of those runs were scored at 51 in the County Championship, in just 11 innings. 3 hundreds, including one in a session on a sizzling greentop

Sort of backs up the idea that maybe he's got what it takes to play in England, I'd have thought

All at sea in test cricket..next

Eelectrica

Referee
He's got a test hundred which is more than Bancroft and Harris have achieved. Went ok in India up until the last game. Yeah he's got what it takes and is only going to get better. He's always looking to improve signing another county deal.

tomdl

Bench
Wot? He Averaged over 60 in his 4 tests at home. Went to India despite a bunch of idiots wanting Smarsh to open over there instead to protect him and went on to be out 2nd highest run scorer after Smith, admittedly wasn't great in Bangladesh but no one really was, and there is no way anyone can hold that one test in SA against him after arriving there for that shit show the day before it started.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Wot? He Averaged over 60 in his 4 tests at home. Went to India despite a bunch of idiots wanting Smarsh to open over there instead to protect him and went on to be out 2nd highest run scorer after Smith, admittedly wasn't great in Bangladesh but no one really was, and there is no way anyone can hold that one test in SA against him after arriving there for that shit show the day before it started.

Yeah but has no idea where his off stump is. Scored a 180 odd in a dead rubber vs. Pakistan, even the Marshes have scored 100’s in dead rubbers at the SCG..

Latest posts