What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Management Talk

Gareth67

First Grade
I'd rather sign Mitchell, he is the star we need in our backline to turn things around for us. Where is our TPA and hole of game money? Make it happen Millward!

If Bennett rates Mitchell above Burn than why are we always going for second best. The Bunnies already have a top class backline and yet are still going for Mitchell.

We are still placing all our hope in young juniors coming through that will perform as well as they did in the lowere grades. Then we make up excuses that they are not ready yet and so we just have to waste a few more seasons until they are ready. Oh, yes and then we let them go to another club because they are offered a better deal, prefer the other club's coach and training facilities.

Come back Bennett, I really miss you.

Well whatever you do don’t go looking in your Christmas stocking this year possum because it will be empty.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Well whatever you do don’t go looking in your Christmas stocking this year possum because it will be empty.
Don’t be so harsh..

It won’t be empty..

He’ll get a lump of coal..

Illawarra coal..

Delivered by Millward..

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Should look into it if possibility but surely they get rid of someone else? Would think latrell plays fullback and burns will stay at centre...

Fitting Latrell, Alex Johnson, Gagai, Roberts, Douehi, Graham and Burns into that backline is going to be a challenge for old Wayne. I like Burns as well but wouldn't knock back the others except Roberts who seems to be a Wayne project player.

mickeylane

Bench
South 2020 Potential Backline - FMD!!
Is that an all indigenous backline?

1. Latrell
2. Ado Carr
3. Jimmy Jett
4. Gagai
5. Graham
6. Walker
7. Reynolds

Backups
14. Doueihi
15. Goodwin
16. Corey Allan
17. Marsters

** Potentially Releasing Johnston, Burns

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I'd rather sign Mitchell, he is the star we need in our backline to turn things around for us. Where is our TPA and hole of game money? Make it happen Millward!

If Bennett rates Mitchell above Burn than why are we always going for second best. The Bunnies already have a top class backline and yet are still going for Mitchell.

We are still placing all our hope in young juniors coming through that will perform as well as they did in the lowere grades. Then we make up excuses that they are not ready yet and so we just have to waste a few more seasons until they are ready. Oh, yes and then we let them go to another club because they are offered a better deal, prefer the other club's coach and training facilities.

Come back Bennett, I really miss you.

You realise that as great Bennett was for the club, he did SFA in terms of nurturing local junior development at the expense of re-signing a number of players, who should have been told to move on?

In other words, his think of today (not tomorrow) polices were the start of the malaise SGI currently finds itself in.

possm

Coach
You realise that as great Bennett was for the club, he did SFA in terms of nurturing local junior development at the expense of re-signing a number of players, who should have been told to move on?

In other words, his think of today (not tomorrow) polices were the start of the malaise SGI currently finds itself in.
Bennett wanted a 5 year deal at 750k per year. If our CEO agreed to this, I'm sure we would have been left a better quality squad post the Bennett era.

As it turned out Bennett had to concentrate on a short term goal of winning a competition; development of our squad became a secondary consideration. It was up to SGI to follow on from Bennett's example during those 3 years but instead, we chose to move away from our brick wall defence and recruited dudd players to replace those players who decided to leave.

Bennett took control and demonstrated how things could be done. The likes of Mary and Craig Young were not invited to be in his support staff for good reason. Under Bennett we made the finals in each of the 3 years he was in charge; wining in 2010 for the first time in 30 odd years.

Last edited:

mbk78

Juniors
Bennett took control and demonstrated how things could be done. The likes of Mary and Craig Young were not invited to be in his support staff for good reason. Under Bennett we mad the finals in each of the 3 years he wa in charge wining in 2010 for the first time in 30 odd years.
Just a slight adjustment to your last comment: I believe Craig Young was on Bennett’s support staff in a recruitment role however very much under Bennett’s direction. Young’s influence in that area increased exponentially after Bennett left and Price took over. And of course we know that our current esteemed leader was booted the moment Bennett arrived.

How can you even begin to blame Bennett for the last 8 years of incompetence by the Board and the appointment of poor quality coaches?
Bennett asked for 5 years and Doust gave him only 3.
It makes total sense that Bennett took a short term view of his tenure and was totally focused on results.
It's those results that you can't argue with. - 2 minor premierships and a title that we (the fans) had been starved of for years.
The malaise you attest to has been perpetrated by the diabolical, incompetence of a Board more interested in making sure they have a job than winning premierships.
Disrespecting Bennett after what he achieved at our club is just nonsense.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
How can you even begin to blame Bennett for the last 8 years of incompetence by the Board and the appointment of poor quality coaches?
Bennett asked for 5 years and Doust gave him only 3.
It makes total sense that Bennett took a short term view of his tenure and was totally focused on results.
It's those results that you can't argue with. - 2 minor premierships and a title that we (the fans) had been starved of for years.
The malaise you attest to has been perpetrated by the diabolical, incompetence of a Board more interested in making sure they have a job than winning premierships.
Disrespecting Bennett after what he achieved at our club is just nonsense.

Fair enough, I’ll accept criticism here. One question though: do you have a source regarding Bennett wanting five-years? I’ve got evidence where he unequivocally says he didn’t want to join Saints for a long term period.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Bennett wanted a 5 year deal at 750k per year. If our CEO agreed to this, I'm sure we would have been left a better quality squad post the Bennett era.

As it turned out Bennett had to concentrate on a short term goal of winning a competition; development of our squad became a secondary consideration. It was up to SGI to follow on from Bennett's example during those 3 years but instead, we chose to move away from our brick wall defence and recruited dudd players to replace those players who decided to leave.

Bennett took control and demonstrated how things could be done. The likes of Mary and Craig Young were not invited to be in his support staff for good reason. Under Bennett we made the finals in each of the 3 years he was in charge; wining in 2010 for the first time in 30 odd years.

I think you’ll find that while Bennett wanted McGregor to move on, it wasn’t the same for Craig Young.

Fair enough, I’ll accept criticism here. One question though: do you have a source regarding Bennett wanting five-years? I’ve got evidence where he unequivocally says he didn’t want to join Saints for a long term period.
Short answer is I have no way of knowing for sure.