What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

player sightings / experiences

Bazal

Post Whore
In Canberra, you basically see some of the Raiders boys most weeks if you go out. Ferguson and Dugan are absolute pricks, Shillington is a legend. Joel Thompson is a massive unit in the flesh. Reece Robinson is a real nice guy as well, most of them are really. Shillo knows a few mates of mine who play RU for Queanbeyan...we were out one night, smashed as, with the bloke and he went to the pisser. Details are a bit hazy but apparently some dickhead threw a bin over his stall, gashed his head...He wandered off, got stitched up, and randomly rocked back up about two hours later with several jugs of beer for the boys. He's not that big in person, actually.

I could tell stories about Dugan, Ferguson, and Todd Carney that would get me banned (and I think a lot of folk in Canberra could)...Carney is actually a really nice guy when he's sober, I played several games against him as a younger kid. He was always a bit disinterested, but when he was on you just had to sit back and watch him murder you. He had a shocker one day and we won, I still claim a moral victory :p. He recognised me one day out at Civic centre and we had a good old chat. Pity he can't control himself on the piss.

Eric Grothe Jnr bought me and a couple of mates a beer in the Rocks one day. We'd been to a game at Parra and the boys hadn't done well, some of us had gotten changed but one mate was still in a Parra jersey. Ekka came over out of nowhere, asked us if we'd been at Parra and thanked us for coming out to the game. He sat with us and bought us a beer and commiserated for a while, incredibly nice guy.

IowaRL

Juniors
I met karmichael hunt in the 6th grade, when he moved to my primary school from NZ (Algester), knew him until he left Sunnybank (went there too). Also met Lote Tuquiri when he came to our school

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
In Canberra, you basically see some of the Raiders boys most weeks if you go out. Ferguson and Dugan are absolute pricks, Shillington is a legend. Joel Thompson is a massive unit in the flesh. Reece Robinson is a real nice guy as well, most of them are really. Shillo knows a few mates of mine who play RU for Queanbeyan...we were out one night, smashed as, with the bloke and he went to the pisser. Details are a bit hazy but apparently some dickhead threw a bin over his stall, gashed his head...He wandered off, got stitched up, and randomly rocked back up about two hours later with several jugs of beer for the boys. He's not that big in person, actually.

I could tell stories about Dugan, Ferguson, and Todd Carney that would get me banned (and I think a lot of folk in Canberra could)...Carney is actually a really nice guy when he's sober, I played several games against him as a younger kid. He was always a bit disinterested, but when he was on you just had to sit back and watch him murder you. He had a shocker one day and we won, I still claim a moral victory :p. He recognised me one day out at Civic centre and we had a good old chat. Pity he can't control himself on the piss.

Eric Grothe Jnr bought me and a couple of mates a beer in the Rocks one day. We'd been to a game at Parra and the boys hadn't done well, some of us had gotten changed but one mate was still in a Parra jersey. Ekka came over out of nowhere, asked us if we'd been at Parra and thanked us for coming out to the game. He sat with us and bought us a beer and commiserated for a while, incredibly nice guy.

Shillo is a great bloke. Boozed it up with him in a similar manner in 2008 at The Palace. Told him good luck in Canberra, then he wouldn't levae us alone. Free drinks all night. and the birds f**king loved him.

eozsmiles

Bench
Saw Roy Asotasi sucking on a gasper outside a Kings X drinking hole not too long ago. Don't think the souffs conditioner would be too pleased.

There can't be all that many smokers about in top grade league anymore ... anyone know of others?

Choc Watmough.

Old Tony Butterfield, Cement Gillespie, and Jamie Ainscough are a couple more past players.

Mader45

Juniors
I won a ticket into a celeb poker comp at star city last week. Mainly all footy players. Had Farah, Gallen, Minichello and SKD at my table but practically every popular player from Tigers, Souths, Cronulla, Panthers and Roosters was there. And Hayne. Sat next to Farah so just discussed the current going ons at the Tigers. They were all polite and nice as. Except Farah to his dad (his plus 1). He really didnt like how he played poker.

BranVan3000

Coach
Asotasi takes up smoking every off season aparrently. Dude collapsed at training a couple weeks ago so it's a pretty stupid thing to do

BranVan3000

Coach
I was at a bow tie event for charity a few months ago and Jared Hayne, Tim Mannah and Chris Heighington rocked up. My girlfriend got a picture with them, but I really had no interest in talking to them. Hayne was dominating with the ladies though, I kinda felt for Mannah and Heighington cause it didn't seem like many recognised them so they kinda stood around

andrew057

First Grade
When in Thailand..........

Best experience I ever had was when I saw Watmough in the queen street mall in Brisbane. Lol
He was with a chick so I walked up to the merkin and was like" wow yur Anthony Watmough.... Great job on smashing the broncs" he then asked if I was a manly fan keep in mind I had a storm jersey on....... I then said " nope storm fan btw man always wanted to ask you born that ugly or you walk into a rake to many times? " he was a pretty good sport actually he just kinda laughed and gave me the finger. Rofl

Oh and I threw a macca's ice cream cone at sailor once as well lol hit him in the shoulder LOL

You sound like a real winner.

DJShaksta

First Grade

Best experience I ever had was when I saw Watmough in the queen street mall in Brisbane. Lol
He was with a chick so I walked up to the merkin and was like" wow yur Anthony Watmough.... Great job on smashing the broncs" he then asked if I was a manly fan keep in mind I had a storm jersey on....... I then said " nope storm fan btw man always wanted to ask you born that ugly or you walk into a rake to many times? " he was a pretty good sport actually he just kinda laughed and gave me the finger. Rofl

Oh and I threw a macca's ice cream cone at sailor once as well lol hit him in the shoulder LOL

I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and say you're about 13 or 14 right????

Fufu Andronez

First Grade

Did u throw it and run? Surely someone would have/should have dropped you like a sack of shit otherwise?

Flapper

First Grade
Met a few of the Panthers over the years playing poker either around the clubs or one day up in the Chairmans Lounge for a big game about 2 and a bit years back. Brad Tighe and Nigel Plum were the two most regular around the traps, nice blokes, Nigel is still good for a chat even though he doesn't play cards anymore. Luke Lewis was always fairly bristly when I played on his table, but I relate that to everyone telling him how to play poker when he already knows how (not as good as Brad or Nigel though!)

Of the others, Waterhouse was friendly enough, Nathan Smith went out of his way to come and talk to me haha, and Lachlan Coote was incredibly patient when I was 1000 beers deep talking absolute shit to him.

My dad also knows a lot of the Panthers from about 2004-2010, he's mates with Craig Gower, who has always been a good bloke when i've seen him despite what you might hear, looked after me one NYE when I was pretty drunk and just had a bust up with the girlfriend which I appreciated.

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee

The general consensus seems to be that Ferguson is a merkin.

LESStar58

Referee
Shillo is a great bloke. Boozed it up with him in a similar manner in 2008 at The Palace. Told him good luck in Canberra, then he wouldn't levae us alone. Free drinks all night. and the birds f**king loved him.

Really? Even with the David Beckham voice?

:lol:

I was deadset pissing myself when I first heard him talk... think it was the 2010 GF or an Origin game where he was injured and was on the panel. I'm sure he's a top fella though. I'm not doubting that.

StormHi

Juniors
I was a lot younger when I threw the cone at sailor and no he just laughed shook his head and headed to the men's room...... It was on a dare anyways.

Lol Watmough was a good sport over the ribbing he copped.

Oh yeah met Petero on the job he was amazing best human on the planet.... His dad was a complete merkin when drunk tho.....

Murf

Juniors
Saw Danny Buderus the other day which was nice, saw Clint Newton a bit later which is always disappointing.

lol

Jason Cayless was a drunken pest at my work the other week, I had to cut him off at the bar. The worst part was that Nathan was a few deep as well and was giving me the whole "come on mate he's not too bad, just one more".

Sleep

Juniors
This is a serious thread?! :shock: Why not just read confidential in the tele every other day.

I saw one of the Morris boys get dropped in a club a few years back after he pushed in line at the bar and thought he wouldn't get called on it. I've seen almost all the Dragons out at some point or another. Most of them seem like good blokes, a few in particular are complete and utter tools.