What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

player sightings / experiences

Tommy Smith

Referee
Who is the Pearl??
220px-Earl_Strickland.JPG

Loudstrat

Coach
I saw Sam Burgess at the dentist today. He was probably looking at getting his teeth fixed up. Because he has those really unco Pommy teeth.
Which is why he plays for Souths...........

Nathan Cayless was at the Easter Show yesterday - had a chat with him as did plenty of other punters. Seems like a lovely bloke.

DoggiesBroke

Juniors
Shortly before the season began I saw Steve Matai at the New Brighton hotel having a ciggie in the pokies room. My mate went up to him and started having a chat but this mate is not a league fan and had no idea who he was talking to. Stevie shook his hand at the end of it and kicked on.

Stevie has since had 2 man of the match performances (IMO) out of the 4 matches he has played since that encounter. Guy is a champ.

Fire

First Grade
ET, Ricky Stuart and Todd Carney all at Westfield Miranda earlier today.

Strange TC was out shopping on game day.

I've heard a lot of players just like to chill at home.

However, whatever works best for him.

redbur95

Juniors
I ran into Gorden Tallis at Indooroopilly Shopping Centre in Brisbane today. He came across as a great bloke - he stuck out his hand for me to shake and we had a small chat.

A while back, I got my 2013 jersey signed by the whole Broncos squad at a training session. I asked David Stagg what it was like to have Billy Slater in a headlock - he said a lot of people have asked him that question, then Matt Gillett said he was the one who really bit Billy.

Which footy players have you met? Were they friendly or rude? Did they say anything particularly interesting?

Met shit loads of them. Most are decidedly unremarkable.

However, if I had to single any out I'd say the best NRL player's I've met in terms of peronability, politeness, etc would include Preston (of course), Tonguey and Peach. Notable mentions also to Gids, Dean Widders and Tim Mannah. And Brett Stewart was also good, yet Glenn was not. Wolfman and Liam Fulton were probably the funniest/entertaining. As for those who really did not impress I'd say Willie, Tahu and of course SBW. I met him the day before he flew to France so needless to say he seemed very much like a dick after talking a heap of shit he knew wasn't going to happen because he was pissing off in 12 hours. There'd be plenty I have forgotten but they're the ones off the top of my head. I find that past players are better to meet than current ones, not least because they're more mature and not so much in the spotlight all the time. They tend to be more relaxed and entertaining and many come from an era when the game was better and more interesting anyway.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Met ben pomeroy at a mates party a few months ago. He took the piss out of my accent for the whole time haha

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
All the Warriors from the 2005-2012 squad, pretty much all of them some more than others with tons of tons of photos with quite a few as well, Sea Eagles, Raiders, Titans, Cowboys, Panthers, Rabbitohs, Roosters, Storm, Tigers...and yes photos with them too.

Charlie124

First Grade
Met and chatted with Thurston, Ash Graham, Carl Webb, Travis Burns, Aaron Payne, Luke O'Donnell and a few other players from the cows team of around 6yrs ago after a game against the titans during my trip to TVL. All were great to talk to and didn't mind having a few photos with me. For some reason David peachy was also there despite being retired and as far as I'm aware he had no connections with either team

rabbitohs95

Bench
Was at the Redfern Oval Cafe one cold day last winter with a few mates and i saw Jason Clark there. Too shy to utter a word, i just stood there in my bunnies jumper, and he was nice enough to start a conversation with me, asking me how i was. Great bloke and hope he stays for a while, shame he's not playing at the moment he has the talent.

Apey

Staff member
Slept my way around a lot of the current players, some were excellent, some were okay, others were diabolical and I only went back to those ones once or twice after that.

gUt

Coach
Michael Hancock came to training one night and spent the whole time abusing the shit out of us.