What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

player sightings / experiences

Pugzley

Met a couple of Panthers players ar a post-match function to greet fans this year.

Got a few autographs but they came off as a bit surly.

Granted it was after a loss, but eh. :shrugs:

[FKN-SIK];8347601 said:
Never had any issues with him in the past, but he wasn't on the drink when I saw him.

I wonder if he still chain smokes? haha

They ran into him during the 2010 season while he was playing in Auburn so he wouldn't have been monitored as closely as he would be now at the Tigers, so he probably got a bit looser.

aqua_duck

Coach
Met Preston Campbell about 10 years ago and honestly he's the nicest bloke you could meet, very humble, easy to talk to and approachable.
Met Jarryd Hayne at the UFC a few years back and he was surprisingly very polite and quite a decent bloke. He's kind of got this reputation as this arrogant bloke who thinks he's too good but he actually seems like a pretty nice guy

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I ran into corey parker in the food court at my shopping centre the other day. He was trying to eat a kebab but kept missing his mouth, after four unsuccessful attempts he just gave up and let corey norman finish it off.

Dunno if anyone else got that joke, but I laughed.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Always see knights players when i am getting my car serviced. 2 weeks ago seen mason and darius lurking around hunter street in the morning

Last year seen mullen walking about town. Had the Roosters hat on and felt like giving abuse but given our position at the time i would have had egg on my face haha

The Rosco

Bench
I met Utai while doing some business at his GF's place. Not doing THE business . . . . . :)
He came across as a decent bloke. Was happy to talk footy with me, even insisted I stay for dinner.
The funniest thing . . .you know how he looks like a midget on the field . . . he's actually quite a big unit. I was sitting on the lounge when he walked in, he cut a very imposive figure as he walked down the hall. I needed 2 milk crates to stand on to shake his hand.
I exaggerate, but you get the idea.

DeeJ

Bench
I've seen Justin Hodges in Brisbane twice. Once in 2005 I think when he was disliked here, he was next to me in line at Subway.

The next time was maybe 3 years ago at South Bank he was standing outside a restaurant having a durry.

He doesn't look as big in person.

Aragorn

First Grade
good to see so many of you have been touched by league players in some sort of way....

TheDalek079

Bench
when Easts played a finals game over here a few years ago i saw Braith in the city. Didn't say anything as he was busy on his phone.

And met a few of them before/after the games to get photos/autographs. Remember as a kid shaking Chris Flannery's hand. Easts won a hard fought game then shaking the hand of a 2002 premiership winner too. One of the best days of my life. Met JWH when the Roosters had a preseason fixture in Rotorua. Very friendly and down-to-earth. A true off-field legend. And Brian Smith is nice too. He made a funny joke then insisted that we shake hands.

Fire

First Grade
When I was a kid I met Marty Bella in the members bar at the SFS. I had my footy cards on me and I asked him for his card for me. He just scribbled sh#t on my footy card. Always thought he was a fat c#nt ever since then.

Aragorn

First Grade
When I was a kid I met Marty Bella in the members bar at the SFS. I had my footy cards on me and I asked him for his card for me. He just scribbled sh#t on my footy card. Always thought he was a fat c#nt ever since then.

Marty Bella! brings back some memories....

sounds like he did a Willie Mason... didnt use to draw pictures of penis's when kid's asked him for his autograph.... what a d*ck.

_Johnsy

Referee
Bought Tommy a beer @ the Kirra Hotel, top bloke. Enjoys a beer and a laugh, very easy gong.

Came across JT at work when in Townsville, didn't think much of him after that.

magpie_man

Juniors
was in the same restaurant as the whole sharks team in Canberra a few years ago; they were leering licentiously at the girls I was with, none of them made a move though.

beave

Coach
Bought Tommy a beer @ the Kirra Hotel, top bloke. Enjoys a beer and a laugh, very easy gong.

Came across JT at work when in Townsville, didn't think much of him after that.

well you were taking his picture while he was standing in front of a big ruler!!!!:p:p

Met Tommy in 07 when he was doing a tour around QLD ,for the "Light the Fuse "campaign,with the ETU.
had a few beers with him,nice bloke ,good for a laugh.Also he doesnt look as chubby in the flesh as on TV.
Also saw Watmong in the Pt Lookout newsagent on Straddie in OCT 10.
Was very unexpected,was the last place i expected to see a Manly player.
The first thing that popped into my head was Roy & Hg ,& i nearly said There are too many Manly players in here.
My kids reckon i was lucky i kept quiet for once.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Run into QLD/Broncos players all the time around Brisbane.
Jack Reed held an elevator door open for me in the Myer centre just the other night, good bloke.
I once almost walked straight into Mal Meninga at the Albion Hotel, wasnt looking where i was going.

Saw Matty Johns once out in the Valley, that was pretty funny.

You're bound to run into someone at the Caxton after a broncos/qld game.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
For some reason I've seen Lance Hohaia at least 6-8 times. He used to come into the shop I worked in every now and again. More pertinently, he used to go out with my ex's friends, and at one stage grabbed my ex's arse when they were all in a club together. FTR I already didn't rate him before that so it's not bias when I've bagged him :p

Saw Denan Kemp a couple of times in 2009. I was in Maccas towards the end of the season (he had been dropped to the Vulcans) and I saw him order and eat a combo, get up and order another full meal and eat that as well. Always remember thinking it was either comfort eating because he was depressed, or like a really weak "f**k you" to the club.

Otherwise like many people I've seen way too many to name- the ones that stand out are probably those I was more lucky to see because they don't actually live here. One day in 2006 I was walking along Queen Street in Auckland and walked past Thaiday, Maitua, Hunt, Gasnier and Lockyer who were over for the test. Likewise last year I walked past Mannah and Hayne on Queen Street one week, and then SKD and Masoe a couple weeks later- pretty weird to have seen so many players only in the country for a few days on one stretch of road on several different occasions.

Last edited:

Aragorn

First Grade
More pertinently, he used to go out with my ex's friend, and at one stage grabbed my ex's arse when they were all in a club together..

really, was she your ex at the time and how did that make you feel?

if i had a rugby league star grab my GF's arse I think I would be ok.... i guess it depends how hard he grabbed it though.... a bit of a pat is ok, a half grab still ok, a full hand slap then squeeze could be pushing it....