What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

player sightings / experiences

Johns Magic

Referee
Have met a fair few out over the years, but the most interesting story is probably the time I met Petero. It was 2008 and my footy team had Mad Monday at Scubar, where it just so happened the Panthers were having their Mad Monday too. Petero was absolutely blind. A lovely guy who posed for many photos, there's a good one of him and myself both with Snakebites(a very red drink they do there) all over our tongues.

Not long later three bouncers came over at once and very politely asked Petero to leave for being too drunk. I've never seen bouncers kicking someone out so cautiously and with so much respect, usually one of them just comes and grabs you and pushes you through the door. Petero just left straight away without causing a scene, something not many drunks generally manage.

Also had a good chat with Luke Rooney that night just before he went to union. Interesting chat about Matt Elliot, was too drunk to remember specifics but the vibe is still with me.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
ran in to plenty of players over the years. but the best experience i had was in 92 at the restaurant out the back of the shakespeare hotel in surry hills. the enitire NSW state of origin team was having dinner paul harragon chatted to me for like 30 minutes and made sure the entire team signed my a4 sheet of paper. he also wrote "state ot origin 92" at the bottom of the page. still have it framed up in my office to this day.

plenty of big names.

coach gould
fittler
daley
sironen
lazarus
ettinghousen
stuart
macgregor
harragon obviously (signed it twice .. haha)
elias (didnt want to sign it. harragon made sure he did, even funnier)
clyde
cartwright
brasher
mackay
wishart

must be a few ive missed... but always had a lot of respect for the chief after that. giving an 8 year old kid that much time when he was having dinner made him one of my favs of all time.

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
Ran into Nate Myles in an Olympic Park hotel during the Four Nations a couple of years back and asked him if he'd be watching the games.
As soon as it was out of my mouth I realised that he was the 18th man.

Was he shitting in a hallway?

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm going to watch origin with a current nrl player at his mums house tomorrow night.

Balling.

Did the same thing for City/Country this year(though not at his mum's place). Interesting hearing their thoughts on players you're watching.

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
Was crossing the road at my mates house in Bondi when two speeding f**kwhits almost ran me over. Their music was pumping and I ran to abuse them when they stopped at the lights. The two in the car were Nate Myles and Todd Carney.

DeeJ

Bench
Have met a fair few out over the years, but the most interesting story is probably the time I met Petero. It was 2008 and my footy team had Mad Monday at Scubar, where it just so happened the Panthers were having their Mad Monday too. Petero was absolutely blind. A lovely guy who posed for many photos, there's a good one of him and myself both with Snakebites(a very red drink they do there) all over our tongues.

Not long later three bouncers came over at once and very politely asked Petero to leave for being too drunk. I've never seen bouncers kicking someone out so cautiously and with so much respect, usually one of them just comes and grabs you and pushes you through the door. Petero just left straight away without causing a scene, something not many drunks generally manage.

Also had a good chat with Luke Rooney that night just before he went to union. Interesting chat about Matt Elliot, was too drunk to remember specifics but the vibe is still with me.

What is this vibe? Is it true that Matt Elliot is very well liked by his players and sometimes considered one of the boys?

have experiences with a few:

saw Darren Lockyer dancing at Shooters around 2002

My mate met Paul Sironen and said he was the greatest guy in the world, he got drunk with him. he also saw Trevor Gillmeister the week after and Gilly was smashed and everytime Gilly would talk to my buddy, he grabbed my buddys elbow lol.

Met Sam Thaiday briefly, was a nice guy and happy to pose for a photo.

met Robbie Kearns at origin last year and despite the nsw loss, he was super nice, also met Kimmorley, he was nice enough.

I don't want to go into details but I've seen Joey Johns, Corey Parker & Dave Taylor in some unflattering moments.

Aragorn

First Grade

awesome story.

Petro comes across as one of the few descent guys you'd have as a role model for your kids...

beave

Coach
06 and i was best man for a mates wedding. Cowboys played Sharkies the night before the wedding, i decide it would be a good idea after the game (which was also the pre wedding shin dig) to head into town and continue the stupidity upstairs at the mad cow. Tronc and Matt Scott jumped behind the bar and were serving drinks for all the punters and Matt Scott asks me after i ordered a rum off him "you want a double mate?' with a wink. Double my ass, try like a f**king triple!!!! God knows how many of them him and Tronc served me that night. The next day I had to get my mate to pick me up and dress me i was that drunk/hungover, in the wedding pics I look like a piece of shit!!! His missus was pretty wild with me, i think they tried to photo shop me out of most of the pics!!!! It wasnt til about 7pm at the reception where I came good again. That was strike 2 for me and rum. I blame our current captain for my hatred of the sugar cane naughty juice!!!

Marty Bella! brings back some memories....

sounds like he did a Willie Mason... didnt use to draw pictures of penis's when kid's asked him for his autograph.... what a d*ck.

LMFAO @ this. He signed Fitzy's name.

A Knights fan told me in 2003 a friend of hers wanted to get her brand new NSW jersey signed by the whole squad. Joey grabs the jersey and writes "I LOVE CATH" in big block letters.

In 2007 I was in KFC chewing on a drumstick when in walks Israel Folau. This was 2 days before his test debut. I yell out "WASSUP ISRAEL!?" He looks over and goes "hey mate"...he then goes up to the counter. 2 mins later he turns around and leaves without buying anything. As he leaves he looks over and acknowledges me again. Basically saying bye.

I cant help but think Izzy didn't order any KFC due to me recognizing him.

5 mins later I look out the window and I see Cooper Cronk, Mark Gasnier, Greg Bird & Ryan Hoffman walk around the corner and into the arcade across the road. I considered going to say hi...but then realized I hated all of those guys.

After I was done eating I started heading back to my apartment. This was at around 10pm. I needed to stop off at the ATM and get some paper. When I get to the ATM Petero's there. I didn't say a word to him. I didn't want to bother him while he's trying to withdraw cash. I remember thinking he wasn't as big as I expected. He leaves, and then it's my turn to use the ATM. Petero had left his receipt in the machine. So I get it out thinking I may be about to find out how rich this guy is. The receipt just said "invalid account" or something. LOL @ Petero trying to use an aussie card in a kiwi ATM.

I went to the test that weekend, and met Gus and Vossy on their way out of the ground. Just walking amongst all the peeps. Gus called me a champion and shook my hand. Nice guy.

Other than these moments, I also saw Gareth Ellis and Sam Burgess walking down the street in Welligton in 2010 wearing ghey tight metro shirts and doing a spot of clothes shopping.

Former Cowboy\Kiwi David Faiumu was a good mate of mine back in 2000.

^LOL I know what you mean.

Most of the banks in NZ are owned by aussies anyway..even the good ol Bank of NZ!!!

I used my ATM card in Malaysia.

I cant remember what the receipt said exactly..but it was something along the lines of "account invalid...(get your f**kin alien card out of me)"...or something. Basically it clearly said he couldn't use that card in that machine.

oval

Juniors
Have seen alot of Manly players around the beaches. Have seen Watmough eating sushi - the stack of plates was so high - my gf and I were laughing at the sheer volume of food he stuffed into his face. Have seen Brett Stewart eating in Manly a few times - he looks like he doesn't want to be recognised, which is fair enough.

Used to see the Manly players at the Steyne alot and sometimes the Wharf Bar, though not so much anymore. Jamie Lyon seems pretty wary of drunk fans, but Matai, Watmough (who both love a durry) and Michael Robertson in particular always seemed friendly. As did Menzies.

When I was younger I was in the car with my dad at Narrabeen and Freddy Fittler pulled in front of us and cut us off, laughing and giving us the finger as he did it. I thought it was kinda funny but my dad wasn't so amused.

Have seen Russel Crowe on the street a fair few times, usually wearing Rabbitohs gear...

Saints fan

Juniors
I can't get over some of the stories on here. Obviously NRL players don't come to the South Island much so I haven't seen any out in public, except at games. It is very cool hearing about what players are like off the field.

Some of my Uni mates went on a Union tour over to Sydney and trained at WIN Stadium. They saw Matt Cooper walking down the street talking on his mobile. By all accounts he is an absolute tank.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stood next to Willie Mason in 2004 at a KFC in bondi where he hassled some pimply teenage kid for an extra drumstrick for free.

Used to work at the Roosters leagues club, met Arthur Beetson every week as he was on his way to meetings, he used to always say hello, but Gus and Sticky would ignore everyone. I met Artie and Tommy Raudonikis again my chance at the Newcastle airport, we were all waiting at a taxi rank.

It was in 2009 and Artie actually remembered me as the bloke he used to see at the roosters leagues club. I was pretty amazed by that. Tommy said Artie had a way of remembering a face, especially that of every barman he's ever seen!

Anthony Minichiello, Adrian Morley and Brad Fittler were the only blokes in that team who seemingly went to the club to mingle with the fans, take photo's, sign autographs, absolute legendary blokes, Mini especially.

Got a lot of time for him, he's the most likeable bloke of all of them.

Morley was funny f**k, loved stirring up Chris Walker.

Worked with Ben Hannant and Sam Perrett there as well for a year before they played first grade. Hannant is a funny bugger.

2010 I wrote match reports for the Storm NSW Cup team and Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater and Ryan Hoffman regular attended the games. I'd walk along the sideline writing and they'd usually hang around me, helping out with players names if i missed one somewhere.

very likeable blokes there too.

Mini is the best though, by far.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Oh and another one I forgot about. In 2005 I went to a huge houseparty with all my schoolmates at this girl's house who we knew. It wasn't long before her dad shut the party down because all these randoms were showing up. So we all left, and out on the street some of us ran into Brett Finch and Luke Ricketson and had a chat with them. It turned out they were at a house across the road with a couple of mates of theirs, and they invited a bunch of us back in to continue partying at their place. I'm not sure whose house it was, but they were both great fun. There was probably thirty or so of us drinking beers and hanging out with them.

Sounds ridiculous now that they would let a group of 17 year olds in their house but it didn't at the time for some reason.

Latest posts