What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players let go by other clubs.

True_Believer

Juniors
The issue is that we let go some youth yet to be looked at properly in favour of signing
Nicholls, Latimore, Allgood, Maranta.
Try the youth and then discard if warranted rather than discard in favour of proven plodders.
If the youth proves inadequate then so be it but at least we found our before letting a really good one slip through our fingers.
Current coaching system & staff are unable to do the job properly so that makes it even more frustrating.
It’s a mess alright.

You're right to a point. However in the instance of Sele, we had signed Latimore and Allgood before he was released. So realistically, we didn't sign anyone to replace him and I'd argue we didn't need to. In hindsight, the loss of JDB might have opened up an opportunity for him, but no one could have foreseen that.

And in Sele's case, we gave him 2 seasons of opportunity before releasing him. With all of Gus's talking him up, he lasted one season at the Panthers before being released. Now there's nothing to say he won't go on to be a consistent first grader, but I'd argue that we were justified in letting him go at this early stage.

And it will be interesting to see how the others perform at different clubs. As I've pointed out previously, there's a lot to these players that we don't see. I know a little about one of our current reggies players that people talk up - and I fully understand why he's not getting time in the firsts. But that info isn't available to the fans. It's not just about what we see at game time.

Finally, you rightly point out that the coaching systems and staff are a major barrier to most (if not all) of these players coming through. I don't think we can accurately judge the first grade team or the reggies ability until we clean out the coaching ranks. That would be the first step. Clean them out and then start the cull based on improvement and performance under a new more capable coach.

TruSaint

Referee
Finally, you rightly point out that the coaching systems and staff are a major barrier to most (if not all) of these players coming through. I don't think we can accurately judge the first grade team or the reggies ability until we clean out the coaching ranks. That would be the first step. Clean them out and then start the cull based on improvement and performance under a new more capable coach.

Agree ...

Como Connection

First Grade
You're right to a point. However in the instance of Sele, we had signed Latimore and Allgood before he was released. So realistically, we didn't sign anyone to replace him and I'd argue we didn't need to. In hindsight, the loss of JDB might have opened up an opportunity for him, but no one could have foreseen that.

And in Sele's case, we gave him 2 seasons of opportunity before releasing him. With all of Gus's talking him up, he lasted one season at the Panthers before being released. Now there's nothing to say he won't go on to be a consistent first grader, but I'd argue that we were justified in letting him go at this early stage.

And it will be interesting to see how the others perform at different clubs. As I've pointed out previously, there's a lot to these players that we don't see. I know a little about one of our current reggies players that people talk up - and I fully understand why he's not getting time in the firsts. But that info isn't available to the fans. It's not just about what we see at game time.

Sele missed his big chance to play lock when Mann was given the 14 spot.
CC

Frank Facer

First Grade
Been reported by the Mole that Storm winger Vunivalu maybe released at end of this season due to Salary cap balancing act to compensate Munster & others pay increase.
Now he'd be the one winger that every club would love on their books!
Trade him for the RAV4!
Vunivulu would be one of the best wingers in the comp. At the right price, I would take him in a heartbeat. I can't imagine he would be on very big money at Melbourne.

BLM01

First Grade
Vunivulu would be one of the best wingers in the comp. At the right price, I would take him in a heartbeat. I can't imagine he would be on very big money at Melbourne.
I reckon this year he has fallen below Addo Carr, Sivo, Tupou, Fergo, Maumalo, Fusitua and that bloke from Penrith T'eo or.something. Have I left anyone off?
Why would Melbourne let him go then?....to replace him with?,,,Olam?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I love it when Frank decides to hit the forums after a toke..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Still banging on with the same anti - Millward agenda...Millward signs the players the coach wants...it is that simple....
Pretty sure Millward is feeding Mary dud suggestions on who to sign anyway, as a part of whiteanting him to get the top job..

Whilst on the outside, the Illawarra mafia looks strong and tight..

But on the inside there are multiple factions at play.. The Dapto mob strongly dislike the Coalcliff crew, whilst the Fairy Meadow family distrust everyone..

And don’t even get me started on the Berry brothers..

getsmarty

Immortal
Pretty sure Millward is feeding Mary dud suggestions on who to sign anyway, as a part of whiteanting him to get the top job..

Whilst on the outside, the Illawarra mafia looks strong and tight..

But on the inside there are multiple factions at play.. The Dapto mob strongly dislike the Coalcliff crew, whilst the Fairy Meadow family distrust everyone..

And don’t even get me started on the Berry brothers..

Now now Muzby....you must be bored today...cue the anti Illawarra Trolls...LOL

Frank Facer

First Grade
I love it when Frank decides to hit the forums after a toke..
As usual your comments are not even worth reading. I usually just skip over most of your comments these days, well the whole time I been on this site really. The only thing funny about you is your continued pathetic attempt to be funny. You try very hard. lol Just give up. Your not funny and you never will be. lol Are you looking for attention?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
As usual your comments are not even worth reading. I usually just skip over most of your comments these days, well the whole time I been on this site really. The only thing funny about you is your continued pathetic attempt to be funny. You try very hard. lol Just give up. Your not funny and you never will be. lol Are you looking for attention?
Bye Felicia

SBD82

Coach

More posts like this please.

hewi

Bench
Donkeys want to offload Jack Bird, would we take him back? I would, performance based contract to player in the centres.