What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

players off contract.

The Colonel

Immortal
eelavation said:
but if you want to talk about injury prone players, Marcus has had a very disruptive career due to injuries aswell, but in syaing that I'm not ruling any of our boys out for that five-eight spot I'm simply that imo, if Kurt was at the club now he'd probably be a better option than our main man, Morris..by June of this year we may be in a position where we may have to choose between three firstgraders who could do the job at 6, then Kurt is completely out of the equation alltogether

Would he? Personally I don't think he is the type of player who would complement and take pressure of Tim in the current set up. I think he would be the exact opposite. Morris took pressure off of Tim defensively and to a smaller extent in attack and I'm not sure another player would have made life as easy for Tim unless it was a Daley or Kenny....

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
Would he? Personally I don't think he is the type of player who would complement and take pressure of Tim in the current set up. I think he would be the exact opposite. Morris took pressure off of Tim defensively and to a smaller extent in attack and I'm not sure another player would have made life as easy for Tim unless it was a Daley or Kenny....

any halfback would of been made to look good with Kenny and Daley there..

The Colonel

Immortal
eelavation said:

So your saying that Sterling and Stuart were made look good by their respective number 6's? :roll:

I'm sure if Tim played inside Kenny he would have done even better. I'm not totally convinced that Kurt Gidley would have been the number one option though..... he would have been in there but then Dykes is a better five eight than Morris when fit bt I'm certain Timmy wouldn't have been as effective playing inside him. Morris' style suited Timmy.....

greena

Juniors
Why do so many people still have a perception that Mateo is a good player who may be an option in first grade. Does there memory fail them, apart from a few of his early games in JF he was consistantly poor.

Lazy with poor defence.

PB

Bench
eelavation said:
come on Colonel, he's got a better all round game than John IMO. more creative, speed and better kicking game. John does get him on the tough factor.

I would have Morris at 5/8 before Kidley every time. Kidley has a bit more speed, but a better kicking game? If he does it's not that much better, and considering the amount of kicking we require of our 5/8th when we have two reasonable kickers out of dummy half, and a good kicker at half, Morris is more than sufficient as a back up.

Creative? maybe slightly more than Morris, but Morris is as creative as he needs to be. And Johnny is a million times better in defence. Kidley is a grabber and having two "smallish" halves could be determental. The knights have Johns who defends like a forward and we have Morris. Morris also appears to read the game better than Kidley, in both O & D.

Kidley, well he tries hard, i respect Kidley for that, but i would take Morris every time.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
So your saying that Sterling and Stuart were made look good by their respective number 6's? :roll:

I'm sure if Tim played inside Kenny he would have done even better. I'm not totally convinced that Kurt Gidley would have been the number one option though..... he would have been in there but then Dykes is a better five eight than Morris when fit bt I'm certain Timmy wouldn't have been as effective playing inside him. Morris' style suited Timmy.....

I'm not sugesting for even one second that Stuart and Sterling were made to look good because of their repective five-eights, however if you ask Daley and Bert they'd tell you otherwise ;-) Both halves were legend in their own right and the two combinations won a total 6 premierships together [you can't count 89 as Daley played in the centres] it was also a stoke of good luck and good management that both clubs and their supporters had the pleasure of witnessing 2 of the best halves combo in the history of the game, representing them.

If Bert played outside Tim, quite simply put, we'd win the comp, but now that you've bought Dyksie into the discussion I would agree that he's adlib style of play would Smother Smiths natural game to a point where you'd probably wouldn't even notice Tim on the field, however I think Kurt's got a more constructed game with a touch of adlib [if he needs it] which imo will compliment Tim. The Kurt/Tim show if we ever have one will definitley have it's flaws, especially in defence however it's been proven out at Campbelltown if used properly you'll reap the rewards in the end.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Avenger said:
Its Gidley

Kidley is his nickname... Kurt gidley. Also the younger of the Gidley's, hence the "Kid" part has the double meaning. A lot of people use Gidley when refering to Matt and Kidley when refering to Kurt.

Pazza

First Grade
Lets not forget that this season Morris was the second most creative 5/8 in the comp behind Daren Lockyer (in terms of TAs). Morris also reads Tim Smith grubber kicks very well. Morris and Smith are a successful combination, they know who has to take control and when. No point getting a flashy 5/8 that is going to get in Timmys way. They just work very well with each other and even though the way they set up tries isnt as flashy and entertaining as players like Benji and Bowen, they still get the points on the board.

Plus the Physical Presence of John Morris puts him ahead of guys like J Smith, Peneara, Gidley. When we are defending our line, we dont need weak links.

yy_cheng

Coach

I think it was more of a perfect combination in which one complemented the other and not get in the other's way: Stuart/Daley and Sterlo/Kenny or Langer/Lewis.

In the early 90's or late 80's when sterlo had retired, kenny tried to carry the team but he couldn't do it. I forget who the 1/2 back was then but he did not shine.

Kenny I think also moved to lock.

However, a Kenny type player would certainly complement Timmy. I think that a running type 5/8th who can kick would suit him. Someone like Delaney or dare I say it, Burt or dare I say even more, the current NZ fullback.

Pazza

First Grade
Dont forget the good running players dont need to be the 5/8, Such as Orford with Slater. Mckinnon and Widders are great runners of the football. Hayne also looks like a player that had quite a good step and fast, light feet. Play him at fullback in a couple of seasons and theres your magic runner.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Pazza said:
Plus the Physical Presence of John Morris puts him ahead of guys like J Smith, Peneara, Gidley. When we are defending our line, we dont need weak links.

Have you seen Perenara? He is the biggest half I have ever seen, with the exception of Corey Pearson. Plus he hits hard. I also think you are underestimating the defensive abilities of J. Smith.

Choppy71

JessEel said:
feleti mateo bugs me

how can everyone rave about him when noone has seen him play in 2 years!

If you watched the ESL he played really well over in the UK (for the London Bronco's IIRC) and will be alot better for the experience. He also had learnt a bit more about what it takes to step up and I reckon he'll be a factor this year. Whether at 5/8 or Lock....

Stagger eel

Staff member
Choppy71 said:
If you watched the ESL he played really well over in the UK (for the London Bronco's IIRC) and will be alot better for the experience. He also had learnt a bit more about what it takes to step up and I reckon he'll be a factor this year. Whether at 5/8 or Lock....

but he wasn't a regular starter was he??...if you've got any stats feel free to post them.

Choppy71

He played a dozen or so games, mainly off the bench. I just remember in the Superleague games of his I saw and reading the reviews that he was always getting wraps....I can't find the site I saw his try assists but he had about 1 per game....

Bigfella

Coach
If you watched the ESL he played really well over in the UK (for the London Bronco's IIRC) and will be alot better for the experience. He also had learnt a bit more about what it takes to step up and I reckon he'll be a factor this year

That's great, but if he ws playing ESL,and off the bench at that, then he still has plenty to learn about stepping up.

Latest posts