What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who never reached their potential

Big Pete

Referee
Didn't specify, other than Gus told Freddy his head had got way too big, his attitude sucked and "If I see that bike again I will jam it up your arse!" (Freddy had shown up on a scooter, wearing shorts and thongs).

:lol: Gould is fantastic. If only there were more coaches like him the NRL would be a much better comp.

shiznit

Coach
Sonny Fai - At the time he was probably the best talent coming through the ranks across the whole of the NRL. had people EVERYWHERE talking about this kid.

Ali Lauitiiti - As people have already mentioned, when he started to realize his potential he was unstoppable. absolutely ridiculous decision to let him go to the UK so young. the nicest person you could ever hope to meet. his only downfall was his his shyness and naivety. with a bit of understanding from the coaching staff he could have been managed a hell of a lot better.

Awen Guttenbiel - had a decent career anyway... but had a wretched run on knee injuries early on which i think substantially limited what he could achieve in his peak.

Clinton Toopi - a lot of people would say he reached the pinnacle. but for mine while at one stage he was arguably the best center on the planet... he only showed showed glimpses of how good he could be. if he could have produced consistency he could have been a great.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Ali Lauitiiti - As people have already mentioned, when he started to realize his potential he was unstoppable. absolutely ridiculous decision to let him go to the UK so young. the nicest person you could ever hope to meet. his only downfall was his his shyness and naivety. with a bit of understanding from the coaching staff he could have been managed a hell of a lot better.
Hang on, isn't the ESL as good as the NRL :sarcasm:.

Lauitiiti was absolutely outstanding in 2002 and parts of 2003. Then he had that arm injury and when Anderson started looking for scapegoats for his poor coaching Ali was the first target, followed by Stacey.

One Warrior

Bench
Hang on, isn't the ESL as good as the NRL :sarcasm:.

Lauitiiti was absolutely outstanding in 2002 and parts of 2003. Then he had that arm injury and when Anderson started looking for scapegoats for his poor coaching Ali was the first target, followed by Stacey.

Daniel Anderson built that great warriors side and was partially responsible for destroying it, however Mick Watson was far and away the principal cause of its destruction. Daniel Anderson would be welcomed back by some, Mick Watson never would be, Ali Lauitiiti and Stacey Jones were used as scapegoats for 2004 by Mick Watson but so was Daniel Anderson.

Poul

Juniors
Sonny Fai - At the time he was probably the best talent coming through the ranks across the whole of the NRL. had people EVERYWHERE talking about this kid.

Definitely these two.
I think Sonny Fai would have gone on to be a legend in Kiwi Rugby League. I think he would have become even better than the other Sonny. Sadly, we'll never know what greatness he could have achieved.

As for Ali, he did show his potential some of the time, and then his arm injury cruelled him.

Knightmare

Coach
:lol: Gould is fantastic. If only there were more coaches like him the NRL would be a much better comp.

Before they hit their recent form, I was thinking he would be a good coach for the Cowboys. A few of their players could do with a boot up the arse from someone like Gus. It's hardly a secret that the boys like to party up there...

Iafeta

Referee
From the Warriors:

Sione Faumuina - personal demons got the best of him. I remember being at Parra Stadium in 2003, this is the game that Michael Witt ripped the heart of the Warriors with a phenomenal last 10 minutes burst... the Warriors were playing horrid for 35 minutes, and then Sione decided to do something about it. Scored a long range try and set up two others in the space of 10 minutes including one where he chipped from his own 30 metre line. Such a shame, a backrow featuring Faumuina and Lauitiiti if they were playing at their potential would have been unbelievable to watch.

Tevita Latu - again, personal issues and earlier on health issues. He was dynamite out of dummy half. I remember him absolutely tearing Brisbane to shreds in a 20 minute burst in 2003 at Ericsson... I think this was the game where Gorillasanti took to Webkce.

Lance Hohaia - first few games in first grade at a young age we thought we'd found the guy to perfectly compliment Stacey Jones in the halves. He was making a tonne of breaks and was very quick. However, he showed no ability to playmake or organise with his kicking game from there on in, and sadly became a jack of all trades, master of none. He's still gone onto a decent career, infact a very good career but he was a supreme athlete who suffered also some horrific knee injuries.

Vince Mellars - mentioned earlier, they talked him up as the next Kevin Iro. First game against Cronulla in 2003 and he showed what he was all about. Looked exceptional. Scored a try, set up another. Never really did anything after that and I think it all went to his head.

Marcus Perenara - the chunky fat hooker at Parramatta was a top line five eighth coming up through the ranks. Big expectations. Never transpired.

Cooper Vuna - one of the most naturally talented athletes, youngest ever Warrior. Beautifully balanced runner of the football. Again I think it may have gone to his head a bit and to be fair, Ivan Cleary showed next to no faith in the bloke. Now he's playing rah-rah.

Evarn Tuimavave - he's had a decent career, played for the Kiwis. When he was coming through Daniel Anderson said he was the best forwards talent in New Zealand.

Denan Kemp - bloke never got any football at the Warriors yet people go woe-was-me how come he never scored for us? The way Cleary coached him it was like he was expected to Vatuvei-like and be an extra prop who'll bulldoze his way through the middle with no constructive inside him to create an opportunity. Sadly, injuries have hurt him, and I really think the way the Warriors coached him destroyed his confidence too.

Russell Packer - incredible in the lower grades. I remember NYC Warriors/Broncos in the first season in the semi-final, he racks up 287m most of its pure hit ups. He is doing ok, but he's very inconsistent particularly with being in the right shape.

Kevin Locke - the Warriors have screwed this guy around royally. Natural fullback, short bloke... put him on the right wing and give him the Denan Kemp "sorry mate we don't pass it that way" shtick and expect the best. I wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors lose this bloke.

Michael Witt - what a start to his career, but he just never dominated after that like expected. Hell of a goal kicker though.

Danny Sullivan - poor bugger, clearly had the talent and the pyhsique to pull it off but what a horrific injury.

Sonny Fai - forever the biggest disappointment and the biggest heartache as a Warriors and just in general, league fan. What a sad tragedy. Boy he had it all, strong, quick, good ball skills. It depresses me everytime his name comes up, he should have been a one in a generation Kiwis backrower he had it all, but the man above decided it couldn't be so.

Simon Mannering - not so much 'never reached their potential', but my word there was some strange scouting on this one. Mannering is a very solid hard working back rower... he was hyped up as a SBW type ball player.. LOL.

Shaun Metcalfe - obvious reasons. When he's 16 he's scoring a try in a first grade trial against Saints. Boy, what a mistake.

Louis Anderson - scored with his first touch in first grade against Penrith in 2004, scored on test debut v Australia. He just kept giving away penalties but he was a hard working player. I think the Anderson brothers received the rough end of the pineapple in how Mick Watson treated them and were lost from the NRL too early.

Monty Betham - was a fairly shrewd lock/dummy half. Then he suffered a shocking injury. The guy was a natural leader. A hard man to be followed. And his comeback from the injuries I'm sure were inspirational. But before being physically ruined he was a far better talent than he ended up showing.

Brett Seymour - another one who suffered the 'the next X' tag. Injuries and alcohol have really knocked him back.

PJ Marsh - odd choice given his amazing 2002-2003 seasons, but that neck injury at Parra Stadium in 2003 took a lot from his game. He was brilliant for the Warriors... he should have had a 10 year career where his name was permanently etched in as #9 for us. One terrible injury and his style changed.

Joel Moon - frankly, I just don't think he's that good. But a lot of others thought he was.

Others around the league

Brett Firman
Matt Head
Tim Smith
James Aubusson
Antonio Kaufusi - should have been good for longer

Hardyards

Juniors
Greg Alexander. Was never the same after Bens tragic death. I believe he could have ended up being spoken about in the same breath as Johns, Sterling and Langer instead of just being thought of as good.

And Im not a Panthers supporter.

beave

Coach
Agree with Alexander.............. him and Mark Geyer were never the same after Ben died.

Parra

Referee
I wonder if he did....

potentialassmuncher.jpg

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=614033

The Colonel

Immortal
From the Warriors:

Sione Faumuina - personal demons got the best of him. I remember being at Parra Stadium in 2003, this is the game that Michael Witt ripped the heart of the Warriors with a phenomenal last 10 minutes burst... the Warriors were playing horrid for 35 minutes, and then Sione decided to do something about it. Scored a long range try and set up two others in the space of 10 minutes including one where he chipped from his own 30 metre line. Such a shame, a backrow featuring Faumuina and Lauitiiti if they were playing at their potential would have been unbelievable to watch.

Tevita Latu - again, personal issues and earlier on health issues. He was dynamite out of dummy half. I remember him absolutely tearing Brisbane to shreds in a 20 minute burst in 2003 at Ericsson... I think this was the game where Gorillasanti took to Webkce.

Lance Hohaia - first few games in first grade at a young age we thought we'd found the guy to perfectly compliment Stacey Jones in the halves. He was making a tonne of breaks and was very quick. However, he showed no ability to playmake or organise with his kicking game from there on in, and sadly became a jack of all trades, master of none. He's still gone onto a decent career, infact a very good career but he was a supreme athlete who suffered also some horrific knee injuries.

Vince Mellars - mentioned earlier, they talked him up as the next Kevin Iro. First game against Cronulla in 2003 and he showed what he was all about. Looked exceptional. Scored a try, set up another. Never really did anything after that and I think it all went to his head.

Marcus Perenara - the chunky fat hooker at Parramatta was a top line five eighth coming up through the ranks. Big expectations. Never transpired.

Cooper Vuna - one of the most naturally talented athletes, youngest ever Warrior. Beautifully balanced runner of the football. Again I think it may have gone to his head a bit and to be fair, Ivan Cleary showed next to no faith in the bloke. Now he's playing rah-rah.

Evarn Tuimavave - he's had a decent career, played for the Kiwis. When he was coming through Daniel Anderson said he was the best forwards talent in New Zealand.

Denan Kemp - bloke never got any football at the Warriors yet people go woe-was-me how come he never scored for us? The way Cleary coached him it was like he was expected to Vatuvei-like and be an extra prop who'll bulldoze his way through the middle with no constructive inside him to create an opportunity. Sadly, injuries have hurt him, and I really think the way the Warriors coached him destroyed his confidence too.

Russell Packer - incredible in the lower grades. I remember NYC Warriors/Broncos in the first season in the semi-final, he racks up 287m most of its pure hit ups. He is doing ok, but he's very inconsistent particularly with being in the right shape.

Kevin Locke - the Warriors have screwed this guy around royally. Natural fullback, short bloke... put him on the right wing and give him the Denan Kemp "sorry mate we don't pass it that way" shtick and expect the best. I wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors lose this bloke.

Michael Witt - what a start to his career, but he just never dominated after that like expected. Hell of a goal kicker though.

Danny Sullivan - poor bugger, clearly had the talent and the pyhsique to pull it off but what a horrific injury.

Sonny Fai - forever the biggest disappointment and the biggest heartache as a Warriors and just in general, league fan. What a sad tragedy. Boy he had it all, strong, quick, good ball skills. It depresses me everytime his name comes up, he should have been a one in a generation Kiwis backrower he had it all, but the man above decided it couldn't be so.

Simon Mannering - not so much 'never reached their potential', but my word there was some strange scouting on this one. Mannering is a very solid hard working back rower... he was hyped up as a SBW type ball player.. LOL.

Shaun Metcalfe - obvious reasons. When he's 16 he's scoring a try in a first grade trial against Saints. Boy, what a mistake.

Louis Anderson - scored with his first touch in first grade against Penrith in 2004, scored on test debut v Australia. He just kept giving away penalties but he was a hard working player. I think the Anderson brothers received the rough end of the pineapple in how Mick Watson treated them and were lost from the NRL too early.

Monty Betham - was a fairly shrewd lock/dummy half. Then he suffered a shocking injury. The guy was a natural leader. A hard man to be followed. And his comeback from the injuries I'm sure were inspirational. But before being physically ruined he was a far better talent than he ended up showing.

Brett Seymour - another one who suffered the 'the next X' tag. Injuries and alcohol have really knocked him back.

PJ Marsh - odd choice given his amazing 2002-2003 seasons, but that neck injury at Parra Stadium in 2003 took a lot from his game. He was brilliant for the Warriors... he should have had a 10 year career where his name was permanently etched in as #9 for us. One terrible injury and his style changed.

Joel Moon - frankly, I just don't think he's that good. But a lot of others thought he was.

Others around the league

Brett Firman
Matt Head
Tim Smith
James Aubusson
Antonio Kaufusi - should have been good for longer

Jeremiah Pai..... seemed to offer size, some decent speed and good hands. Never kicked on.

From the Eels - Danny Sullivan, a knee injury and subsequent staph infections wrecked a career after one trial game that should have had him in the back row at Parra for a long long time.

dayze

Juniors
Some that some have posted and havent posted.

Luke Branighan. Was a few years ahead of me at school in the same year as Braith Anasta. Apparently more talented with buckloads of skill. He was playing First Grade in year 12 as halfback for St George, got injured never returned.

Mark McLinden. Similar player to Benji Marshall but never could bulk up without losing his pace and speed off the mark.

Chris Sandow. Can be the most skillfull and most frustratingly poor player in the same game. Way too Inconsistent.

Obvious ones: Sonny Fai, Ben Alexander, SBW, Tim Smith, Brent Sherwin, Owen Craigie

Not so obvious ones: Andrew McFadden, Darrell 'Tricky' Trindall (was stuck behind shit team at Souths though), Arana Taumata