What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players who never reached their potential

fresh_mayo

Juniors
Scott Geddes - injuries have ruined this guys carrer
Ben Iken - Great talent, then got smashed by injuries at the broncs
Jason Ryles - Was an absolute beast when he came into first grade then got 2 really bad shoulder injuries and has never been anywhere near as good since.

Pedge1971

First Grade
These are a few from Parramatta from the late 80's just after the golden era ended. These guys were supposed to continue the dynasty but it just didn't happen for one reason or another. I'm sure there are a few others I missed as well.

Scott Mahon
Paul Mares
Mick Delroy
Tony Cossato
Brian Jackson
Jason Bell
Gavin Catanach
Michael Erickson
Greg Drake

John Muggleton - yes he played for Aust very early in his career, but he ended up as a perennial reserve grader. Not a bad defensive coach though....

aqua_duck

Coach
Luke Rooney, this bloke could've been anything, he should've been a 20 tests veteran, but now at 28 years of age, when he should be at his peak he's instead disappeared off the face of the earth. Rooney was the prototypical modern day winger, he was big and tall, fast and great under the high ball, this bloke cracked 1st grade at 18, won his 1st premiership at 21, played for NSW and Australia before his 22nd birthday and then just kind of slowly started disappearing off the radar until he left for French Union in 2008, has since signed for the rebels but remains unseen.

Denan Kemp, one of the quickest players in the comp at one stage and a prolific try scorer, had a terrible year at the warriors and it's looking like that year has almost killed his career

Frank Pritchard, he's a good player but he should be the best forward in the game, he's absolutely unstoppable on his day, problem is his day comes once a month

Tony Williams, he's still got alot of time to achieve great things but seriously how can someone so big, so fast be so terrible so often

Pat Richards, I know he has been awesome in ESL but he should've achieved so much more in the NRL. Burst on to the scene as a tearaway 18 year old in 2000, and unfortunately did his knee, I reckon if he didn't do his knee he could played for Australia without a doubt. Also left the NRL way too early

Ali Lauitiiti, had enough talent to become a once in a generation type player, big, mobile and one of the best offloaders I've ever seen, was unstoppable in 2002, hasn't really lived up to his potential

aqua_duck

Coach
Will be interesting to see how these two guys go under Bennett next season. They are still both very young for props (25 or 26) and we all know Bennett can work wonders with front rowers. Bold statement, these two guys wont be too far out of rep calculations in 2013, maybe even as early as 2012.
I'm satisfied with Evarn, he's done ok considering he's come back from a snapped Achilles, Kaufusi has no excuses, he's just a big lazy turd, if someone like Matt Hilder had Kaufusi's size and power he'd be unstoppable

Pat Richards, that's a bit rough aqua duck, he has been tearing it up in the Super League, bagging over 100 tries in his career for Wigan and winning the Man Of Steel in 2010. Was excellent for Ireland in the world cup in 2008 and was excellent for the Tigers in his season and a half with us.

aqua_duck

Coach
Pat Richards, that's a bit rough aqua duck, he has been tearing it up in the Super League, bagging over 100 tries in his career for Wigan and winning the Man Of Steel in 2010. Was excellent for Ireland in the world cup in 2008 and was excellent for the Tigers in his season and a half with us.

I know he's been tearing it up over there but IMO should've played rep football. Definitely left the NRL way too early.

Ladmate

Bench
Too early to tell, but Blake Lazarus was extremely ordinary in two games. I hope I don't have to put him on this list.

Benji Magic

Juniors
John Muggleton - yes he played for Aust very early in his career, but he ended up as a perennial reserve grader. Not a bad defensive coach though....

Les Kiss from Nth Sydney was another who played rep footy early but faded. Played for Qld and went on the '86 Kangaroo Tour.
Stuffed his knee on that tour and was never the same and retired quite young.

Benji Magic

Juniors
Surprised that Mark Geyer hasn't been mentioned yet. Was a devastating forward at his best but wasted a lot of his talent on account of the fact he was a massive dickhead.

What did he do after 1991?